The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you're right, it doesn't. It's awful. It should not happen. The press is awful and it behaves like there's no rules, like there's no line they shouldn't cross and it's disgusting.

That said, when I see someone from BRF staring at a journalist, with tears in their eyes, telling them they expected the press coverage to be fair, I want to call bull... Because either that's the biggest lie they told in their life - and it is being told with some kind of agenda - or they were completely, utterly not prepared during the relationship or the engagement period.

The press is unfair to everyone. They live off showing their weird version of half truth-half lie in a way that will be the most sensational, the most hurtful. Expecting them to "be fair" is ridiculous and since I think Meghan is very intelligent, she knew the press will be unfair. She might've not known to what extent and how awful will it be, but I bet she didn't think the press will be fair.
Its not like they don't have tabloids in America, for goodness sake.. and they are wildly crazy and inaccurate. They are not nice but they are not meant to be taken seriously...
I agree about Meghan.. except that Im not sure she is that intelligent. If she realaly "didn't know much about the tabloids" or felt they would be fair as she insinuated. Harry msut have told her what the popular press is like and that it does not play fair, esp towards royals . I always thought that she didn't know that much about the UK and might find ti hard to adjust..and that's proved the case. Perhaps she's right, to give up trying to adjust and move out..but she might have spared herself trouble if she had known a bit more form the start...

I expected nothing less:
- Playing the victim, check
- Mentioning Diana, check

There was another option, Harry chose to quit after his delusional demands, published on his website before consulting with the BRF protagonists, were not met. Who in a sane mind, let alone Harry, who grew up in royal life, can expect to pick and chose, do the sexy events only and leave the bread and butter to others, while residing abroad and the taxpayers picking up the bill? Only the thought is very worrying with regard to entitlement.
I am glad that the royal blackmailers were sent packing, good luck with a new peaceful life outside and without the protection of the royal system, its all that Harry has ever known. Another cage is waiting, only different restrictions and rules.

Ahh, but they did think if they didn't take the Sovereign Grant money, which amounted to only 5% of their income, that it would be okay. It was right there in their original plan.

The Sovereign Grant income that was only paid to them for the expenses of their official duties for the Queen.

Posts comparing to Harry and William and posts generalizing British people have been deleted.

Let's please move on from the discussion about the tabloids...it’s starting to take over the thread. Any additional off-topic comments will be deleted.

It was confirmed that they would be spending most of their time in North America.

I'll stick with what the Queen said at this point as opposed to yet another un-named source.

....."It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.".......

LaRae

I'll stick with what the Queen said at this point as opposed to yet another un-named source.

....."It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.".......

LaRae

That’s fair. You can stick with whatever you like. Just posting what a reputable news outlet has reported from their contact with a royal spokesperson.

Maybe she should have talked to Princess Anne? The more Anne told the press to “Shove It”, the more the people liked her.

LaRae

The statement from the Queen is consistent with the statement from the royal spokesperson. Both quotes indicate that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will divide their time between Europe and North America. The Queen's statement references the transition period which is planned to end in spring, while the statement of the spokesperson references the period after the transition ends, starting from spring onwards, and gives more detail about the division of time.

I concur with soapstar that confirmation from a royal spokesperson carries more weight than an unnamed source.

Maybe she should have talked to Princess Anne? The more Anne told the press to “Shove It”, the more the people liked her.

No one messes with Anne. She is a strong no nonsense woman who is dedicated and works very hard for her mother and the Crown. She is the type of person who would have told them both to quit whining and get on with it.

The statement from the Queen is consistent with the statement from the royal spokesperson. Both quotes indicate that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will divide their time between Europe and North America. The Queen's statement references the transition period which is planned to end in spring, while the statement of the spokesperson references the period after the transition ends, starting from spring onwards, and gives more detail about the division of time.

I concur with soapstar that confirmation from a royal spokesperson carries more weight than an unnamed source.

I don't consider an unnamed royal source talked about by the Today Show to be any different than an unnamed royal source talked about by the DM.

So we shall have to just disagree on this point as to reliability of sources.

LaRae

I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen. Where are they going to live? They've been staying at some millionaire's house, but that presumably isn't a long-term option. No-one even seems to be sure if they're looking at Toronto or at Vancouver or Victoria, which are thousands of miles apart.

The media can be horrible everywhere. It's not just over royals, it's over anyone who's considered fair game. What about the Team Jen versus Team Angelina stuff? Various members of the Trump family have had hassle just for being related to the president. Compared to the treatment of Camilla, Meghan has had it easy. I admire Camilla so much - I'd have run a mile if I'd been her.

I appreciate that they didn't want to be flying Archie backwards and forwards, but it feels as if Harry's been left to face the music all on his own. Anyway, he's gone back to Canada now, and it's time to move on.

I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen. Where are they going to live? They've been staying at some millionaire's house, but that presumably isn't a long-term option. No-one even seems to be sure if they're looking at Toronto or at Vancouver or Victoria, which are thousands of miles apart.

The media can be horrible everywhere. It's not just over royals, it's over anyone who's considered fair game. What about the Team Jen versus Team Angelina stuff? Various members of the Trump family have had hassle just for being related to the president. Compared to the treatment of Camilla, Meghan has had it easy. I admire Camilla so much - I'd have run a mile if I'd been her.

I appreciate that they didn't want to be flying Archie backwards and forwards, but it feels as if Harry's been left to face the music all on his own. Anyway, he's gone back to Canada now, and it's time to move on.

Said millionaire has flatly denied he even owns a house where the Sussexes had/have been staying.

I've been wondering if they will stay on Vancouver Island or move into a city like Toronto etc.

LaRae

Here’s a link to a breakdown of Harry’s speech. I agree with it...

"We both do everything we can to fly the flag and carry out our roles for this country with pride."

The royal implored that he and Meghan have dedicated their lives to serving the UK, but Phil disagreed with this claim.

He said: "To say he and Meghan have flown the flag and do everything they can to carry out their roles for this country when they are leaving to cash in in North America is an insult to our intelligence.

"They just didn’t want to do the nitty-gritty daily jobs around the country, preferring to concentrate on a few high profile causes close to their heart."

"What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you."

Phil said that Harry's comment about "not walking away" was incorrect, and his actions prove otherwise.

The royal author stated: "To say they are not walking away or they had no choice is patently absurd. They are walking away and they DID have a choice.

"They could have stuck with royal duties, knuckled down and been a tremendous success, particularly as Commonwealth ambassadors, which is where the Queen had high hopes for them."

He added that the couple is needed more than ever, as the Queen is nearly 94, Philip retired at 98, Anne 70 this year and Charles and Camilla in their seventies.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1...een-gesture-back-in-face-speech-royal-expert/

Last edited:
I have never heard of any newspapers anywhere in the world that attack their royal family members or those who marry into the family like the British tabloids. There should be some common decency here. Leave these people alone!
Texankitkat: there is a bit of an uproar among Canadians about using taxpayers' money for security for Harry and Meghan. Others feel that since they are part of the royal family and Harry is 6th in line to the throne...we have an allegiance and duty to protect them.
Also owing them is respect, and giving them privacy and a wide berth...[...]

I have read multiple articles and comments in the media that there would be a massive uproar if taxpayer funds were used on them. Can you please point me in the direction of any sources that say that Canadians feel that we have an allegiance and duty to protect them?

Do we know if there's room for Harry and Meghan to revisit this whole issue and become fulltime working royals (and use HRH again) in the future? I think Harry will be needed when Charles becomes king.

While theoretically the door has been left open, IMO, it is only for HIM. I do not see how they can claim that they are quitting mostly because of the way the media have treated HER and then both come back to resume without any significant changes (and as far as the media is concerned there won't be any).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider an unnamed royal source talked about by the Today Show to be any different than an unnamed royal source talked about by the DM.

So we shall have to just disagree on this point as to reliability of sources.

LaRae

To be more specific, I would not consider the quote to be from "an unnamed royal source talked about". We shall have to disagree on that. :flowers:

While theoretically the door has been left open, IMO, it is only for HIM. I do not see how they can claim that they are quitting mostly because of the way the media have treated HER and then both come back to resume without any significant changes (and as far as the media is concerned there won't be any).

Its very sad but I fear that that may be the way things are trending.. that Megahn is utterly fed up with the UK and wont live there, and that Harry may in time regret leaving it.. Im sure the RF will always hold a hand out to him, but taking him back as a working royal may be another story.. but I agree that they may be thinking "Harry may come back one day but Meg never will"...

See that the quiet life they want in Canada is going well... Meghan is on the front of several newspapers smiling at photographer as she walks the dogs and Archie.

The discussion about Meghan being photographed in Canada today, has been moved to the General News thread.

I'm skeptical also......but Harry will be there. What other dates - family gatherings, I guess - might he also appear at?

For the Queen and his family...I hope so. His Grandfather is almost 100 years old and won’t be around much longer. It’s just unfortunate that the last few years of his life and the draw down to hers, there has been so much drama and heartache.

Its very sad but I fear that that may be the way things are trending.. that Megahn is utterly fed up with the UK and wont live there, and that Harry may in time regret leaving it.. Im sure the RF will always hold a hand out to him, but taking him back as a working royal may be another story.. but I agree that they may be thinking "Harry may come back one day but Meg never will"...

Totally agree. I think Meghan is done with the UK, and I don’t think has ever really liked living there. Negative scrutiny from the press, sure, but I don’t think she has many friends there and I think what it comes down to is she likes Canada better.

For the Queen and his family...I hope so. His Grandfather is almost 100 years old and won’t be around much longer. It’s just unfortunate that the last few years of his life and the draw down to hers, there has been so much drama and heartache.

For a long time, things had seemed to be going so well for them....but, in the end, they still are like any family and they have their personal dramas. At least the Harry/Meghan thing didn't drag out. I'll never not be sad about the personal toll this took on the family.......like Arthur Edwards said, everyone is sad about this except Meghan: the Queen, Philip, Charles, William....Harry (even though it's his choice). This is not to damn Meghan - it's the truth.

Harry is always welcome back, but honestly, unless he and Meghan divorce, I don't see it happening......

I think you misunderstood my post. I said most monarchies weren't in Europe, not all. There are far more non-European, non-democratic monarchies than that, and reining in the press because it's hurting the feelings of a member of the royal family is a terrible road to go down.

Okay, so I misunderstood. I'm sorry! :flowers:
But out of curiosity: who are these monarchies?

The only ones I can think of is in Thailand, Brunei, Malaysia and in Tonga. I don't think the Japanese government rules the media, but they may be when it comes to the RF. There is Togo in Afrika and Lesotho and the Arab states for sure: Saudi-Arabia, Kuweit, Oman, the VAE (seven emirates, but only one state). Which states did I miss?
Thank you for giving me something to learn!!

A number of outlets are stating that Harry was spotted at Heathrow on his way to Canada.

The Times has a new article concerning the 'Sussex Royal’ brand. They spoke to Thomas Woodcock who is an adviser to the Queen and she has consulted him (and a number of others) about it.

A senior adviser to the Queen has said that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should not be allowed to use the name Sussex Royal after stepping down from official duties.

Thomas Woodcock, Garter King of Arms, who is involved in ensuring that commercial concerns do not make illegitimate use of royal symbols, said that it would not be “satisfactory” if the couple were able to use the title for their website.

Garter, as he is known, is a member of the royal household and the principal adviser to the Queen on ceremonial matters and heraldry.

Source

For a long time, things had seemed to be going so well for them....but, in the end, they still are like any family and they have their personal dramas. At least the Harry/Meghan thing didn't drag out. I'll never not be sad about the personal toll this took on the family.......like Arthur Edwards said, everyone is sad about this except Meghan: the Queen, Philip, Charles, William....Harry (even though it's his choice). This is not to damn Meghan - it's the truth.

Harry is always welcome back, but honestly, unless he and Meghan divorce, I don't see it happening......

We don't know how Meghan feels. If she isn't sad, too.

I don’t think for a moment the drama is over. They aren’t going to settle down and have a quiet life. Not these two.

A number of outlets are stating that Harry was spotted at Heathrow on his way to Canada.

The Times has a new article concerning the 'Sussex Royal’ brand. They spoke to Thomas Woodcock who is an adviser to the Queen and she has consulted him (and a number of others) about it.

Not too surprising. Definitely not going according to their plans, it doesn’t appear that they thought any of this through beyond their grandiose goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too surprising. Definitely not going according to their plans, it doesn’t appear that they thought any of this through beyond their grandiose goals.

It would have been nice had they voluntarily given up the Sussex Royal brand instead of having it taken from them. I’m surprised the Queen hasn’t acted in this already...

How sad...the last time Harry saw his pa and brother was likely at the summit; who knows how long it will be before they see each other again?

Last edited:
It would have been nice had they voluntarily given up the Sussex Royal brand instead of having it taken from them. I’m surprised the Queen hasn’t acted in this already...

How sad...the last time Harry saw his pa and brother was likely at the summit; who knows how long it will be before they see each other again?

Probably not any time soon. I would imagine they have a lot to work through with the changes to their plans and their branding,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom