The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2661  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

But that doesn't also negate the fact their decision impacts so many people. What about their staff who many now face either much reduced roles or being made redundant. For example their new Private Secretary had a promising career in the Foreign Office, most lately as an Ambassador. Now she is Private Secretary for a couple who have just announced they are moving overseas and reducing their role so she can sit playing on the swivel chair in the office

Honestly if only they had waited a little longer before marrying. If Meghan had seen more of what royal life was all about she may have decided it wasn't for her sooner and the two could have married and made it clear they weren't going to be full time working royals. to be honest if they had announced what they have now back then it wouldn't have been half the drama it is now.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful think but they moved so fast in everything its almost like no one had time to breath.


Excellent point about their staff. This impacts them as well. How exactly is unknown. The really does impact so many people.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this entire situation just spells out the lack of real thought they seem to be have put into anything before acting.

From Meghan joining the family and the roles they took on to them reducing their roles- and announcing before anything was agreed upon.

I know it’s easy to look back now, but it all just feels like they haven’t thoroughly thought through anything before making a decision.
__________________

  #2662  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
Your link is doesn't work . Hopefully this one this one should work.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-cant-live-in/

For those who don't know, this editorial that is titled "Why Harry and Meghan and why members of the Royal Family can't live in Canada". It's is from Canada's oldest national newspaper who is well regarded. It's a paper that leans to being pro conservative and pro monarchy.

I don't think Harry and Meghan thought through their decision properly. IMHO this whole incident reflects poorly on them, (I was also very sympathetic to them for a long time but now as a result, I'm considerably less sympathetic to them.)
Thanjs, exactly what I was thinking when I saw Meghan's visit in Vancouver today, can this be accepted?
__________________

  #2663  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L'angolo, Vatican City
Posts: 247
Any similarities with post-royal tactics of Tessy Antony?

Without wishing to give extra undue publicity to the grouping of ex royals, I wonder if Tessy Antony Nassau's financial independence is comparable to Meghan? Both want to use their royal connections to advance their economic situation.

There is the following pattern.

Philanthropic glow + royal/ ex-royal status + some lucrative contracts = "a job" commercially and outside the firm.

Much like Tessy, Meghan is going for feminism to tick the philanthropy box.

A tension is the following. Royal and ex-royal status have huge value. yet, Royalty and the estabishment represent the oppressive challenge that this brave individual is fighting - or has fought - in order to stand up for women's rights.
  #2664  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It was a brilliant piece - I suspect Canada is tired of being thought of the “Great White North”, just another nice country with really nice people that happens to border the U.S and where people can willy nilly run away to.
If I had a loonie for every time a colleague from the United States who didn't like the latest election result told me they were going to move to Canada

I appreciate the sentiment - it's a lovely place to live, even if the winters are a bit harsh - but people can't just move here out of the blue. There is a lengthy emigration process, which even Harry and Meghan must follow.
  #2665  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
If I had a loonie for every time a colleague from the United States who didn't like the latest election result told me they were going to move to Canada

I appreciate the sentiment - it's a lovely place to live, even if the winters are a bit harsh - but people can't just move here out of the blue. There is a lengthy emigration process, which even Harry and Meghan must follow.
Also because Canada has a wonderful health care system and we don’t! I love Canada - I’d like to visit more often (and take lots of maple products home, lol.

Therein lies Harry and Meghan’s sense of entitlement. If they’d thought this out, there would be paperwork indicating they’d laid the groundwork for this. Instead they’ve put Canada on the spot and it’s really rather awkward...
  #2666  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:48 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Also because Canada has a wonderful health care system and we don’t! I love Canada - I’d like to visit more often (and take lots of maple products home, lol.

Therein lies Harry and Meghan’s sense of entitlement. If they’d thought this out, there would be paperwork indicating they’d laid the groundwork for this. Instead they’ve put Canada on the spot and it’s really rather awkward...
Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.
  #2667  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
So

Honestly if only they had waited a little longer before marrying. If Meghan had seen more of what royal life was all about she may have decided it wasn't for her sooner and the two could have married and made it clear they weren't going to be full time working royals. to be honest if they had announced what they have now back then it wouldn't have been half the drama it is now. They wouldn't have been given the Sussex title, they wouldn't have been given Frogmore if their intention was to be out the UK so much, they wouldn't have set up their own office with such highly qualified staff. Meghan could have been one of the first women to marry into the family who continued working and doing her own thing.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful think but they moved so fast in everything its almost like no one had time to breath.
What would Meghan have done, if she and harry had said they couldn't/wouldn't do royal duties? IMO carrying on acting wasn't really an option. and who was going to take on the Commonwealth role? In fact other women, including Fergie and Sophie Wessex married into the family and tried to retain jobs, but it never worked out very well...
  #2668  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Someplace, United States
Posts: 71
The press keep saying that M&H are angry at the RF. If that were the case, then why do they want to be part time?
  #2669  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
The press keep saying that M&H are angry at the RF. If that were the case, then why do they want to be part time?
Because if they are part time, there wil be less objection to them having money from the Duch of Cornwall etc. Because they don't want to quit England entirely?
  #2670  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.
The last couple of pages in this thread eloquently portray just how many people/countries/organisations are simply assumed to be 'on board' with the impulsive wishlist of this astoundingly entitled pair -

Canada 'fall into line' ! BRF 'acquiesce to our every whim' ! Politicians, Police forces, Immigration Authorities 'do as WE want' !



As with out of control children SOMEONE needs to say NO !
  #2671  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Because there isn't a SINGLE aspect of the behaviour of this couple, in the last week, that inspires any confidence in their 'common sense'..
Cutthroat and underhanded come to mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So this situation that has come up erases every good thing they've done. Mistakes or errors not allowed, if you make one you are treated like you have committed the most henious crime and should be banished from the family and society.

LaRae
For me Pranter, this wasn’t a mistake they made, this was deliberate.
  #2672  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:25 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
As far as Anne’s children being private individuals, it was normal for a princess’s children. No different than Princess Margaret, the Queen's sister or Princess Mary, the Queen’s aunt.
Yes, I'm aware. I was referring more to when Mark Phillips refused his earldom when I mentioned the children being private people. Perhaps I should've been more clear.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #2673  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Waika's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 52
Also, someone has to keep track of residuals, from whatever work she did before she got married. For example, an actor makes a commercial for a local business, every time that commercial airs the actor receives money. For 75 years after she dies, her heirs will get residuals, it might not be much.



There are agents who handle real estate, they take care of the property, collect rent, and vet tenants for a fee. We don't know what investments she has. Why would anyone cash in all their investments just because they are getting married, you move some and let the rest generate income.
  #2674  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.

My take for this entire fiasco is financial freedom to make money and absolutely no oversight from anyone.
  #2675  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So this situation that has come up erases every good thing they've done. Mistakes or errors not allowed, if you make one you are treated like you have committed the most henious crime and should be banished from the family and society.

Gotcha. I hope no one has ever applied this to anyone here when they have not done things exactly right. Of course your mistakes aren't going to be seen by millions either.



LaRae
To the contrary, I've observed Harry's silly party behaviour being completely forgiven and Meghan's family dramas being put aside by the general public who have given them support. Harry and Meghan came across as vibrant, fun and caring. Australia loved hosting them.
The general public did not react necessarily like the nasty media. Meghan and Harry should have ignored bad press, instead taken a lead from the general public. It is such a shame that the growing trust in this lovely couple has been damaged by their own self banishing.
Their family would have bent over backwards to tweek a more enjoyable workload, I suspect. Their family did not abandon them, nor did the public. That's why there is such an outcry. And why people are disappointed that they went alone without adequate consultation.
People and organisations invested in Harry and Meghan and they are hurt.
There will always be gutter press but royals have had a history mostly ignoring it and getting on with something positive.
I hope that it won't take too much time before something productive comes of this.
  #2676  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
The press keep saying that M&H are angry at the RF. If that were the case, then why do they want to be part time?

Well- we don’t know how they really feel. That’s the press speculating.

But-I’m just picturing the backlash if that had been the announcement. It would look so bad to just quit.

This would look mild imo. Things might be less complicated than this one foot in and one foot out, but I think there would be more anger.
  #2677  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waika View Post
Also, someone has to keep track of residuals, from whatever work she did before she got married. For example, an actor makes a commercial for a local business, every time that commercial airs the actor receives money. For 75 years after she dies, her heirs will get residuals, it might not be much.



There are agents who handle real estate, they take care of the property, collect rent, and vet tenants for a fee. We don't know what investments she has. Why would anyone cash in all their investments just because they are getting married, you move some and let the rest generate income.
The named agent, Nick Collins of The Gersh Agency, does not handle property management. He's a licensed talent agent, in an industry that is regulated by the California Talent Agencies Act; state law sets out his scope of work, including "procuring, offering, promising, or attempting to procure employment or engagements for an artist'

I suspect that her business manager or, more likely, attorney is the person engaged in ensuring that her existing residuals continue to flow and are properly invested, because they involve existing contracts, not the procuring or negotiation of new ones.

I don't honestly see a reason for keeping an agent, even for screening acting job offers; just don't give anyone your new phone number if you don't want any acting pitches.
  #2678  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:50 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 661
The Angus Reid Institute conducted an online survey from January 13 – 14, 2020 among a representative randomized sample of 1,154 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum. It has a margin of error of +/- 3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Paying for Harry and Meghan is.. not popular.

Royal Tab: Vast majority don’t want to pay costs associated with the Sussexes’ move to Canada - Angus Reid Institute
  #2679  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
The Angus Reid Institute conducted an online survey from January 13 – 14, 2020 among a representative randomized sample of 1,154 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum. It has a margin of error of +/- 3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Paying for Harry and Meghan is.. not popular.

Royal Tab: Vast majority don’t want to pay costs associated with the Sussexes’ move to Canada - Angus Reid Institute
How reliable or reputable is the Angus Reid Institute as a source for opinion polls? I apologize, I'm not familiar with them.

Edited to add:

Because that's a very clear "No, thanks" result.
  #2680  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Canada on the spot. The Queen and the Government on the spot. The charities and patronages in limbo. These two have created quite a mess and should be told NO to all their demands. They have proven that they are not responsible
enough or trustworthy to move forward with any such endeavor as members of the BRF. They really need to be under the control of the BRF.
I read about the awkwardness of their patronages earlier - such a shame; it they really blindsided everyone didn’t they, sigh. Everyone deserves the chance to be happy, but it’s just not necessary to be a bull in a china shop while trying to obtain it. Harry and Meghan couldn’t have handled this worse if they tried. I hope that they end up having to give as much as they get
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 07:30 PM




Popular Tags
abdication althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry baby names bangladesh british royals chittagong cht clarence house diana princess of wales dragons duke of cambridge dutch earl of snowdon facts family life future games hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill historical drama history house of glucksburg imperial household intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery jumma kids movie list of rulers mail mountbatten nepalese royal jewels norway palestine pless prince charles of luxembourg prince dimitri princess ariane princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen louise queen mathilde random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon spencer family thailand thai royal family tracts uae customs unsubscribe wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×