The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

I am so disappointed with these two. Honestly, they are behaving like angry, spoiled, petulant brats. If they can’t have it all their way, then they will just leave it all. Good riddance.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

^ Agreed... their arrogance simply astounds..

Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I suspect Harry and Meghan are going to be a bit like the EU of the Royal Family. Not nearly as popular as everyone around them tells them they are....
Well people been saying this and how unimportant they are their entire relationship. So just people spouting that at them is just another day that ends in "Y" really. They clearly knew this would not be taken well and they would be ripped apart. They decided to walk away anyways. Says a lot actually.

Also royal correspondent Roya says that HMQ, Charles, and William were aware of their intentions to leave but no one had any idea the statement would come out tonight. She also expresses that someone (a bitter courtier?) leaked it to the Sun which prompted them to get on top of it and release their statement.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I find it more and more worrying that no statement has been issued by the court, saying something - anything!

It's been four hours since the news broke the court ought to have issued at least a comment by now.

The more time that passes, the more credence there is to the speculations that this was a unilateral decision that has not been discussed by the other senior members of the BRF.

By noon tomorrow this silence will be interpreted a major rift within the BRF, no matter what the court and members of the BRF says afterwards.
There can IMO be no other logic interpretation for a continued silence from the court.

Okay, if, repeat if, H&M have unilaterally decided to go solo, so to speak, I don't think they are in any position to decide what future roles they may have. Especially if they haven't told the rest of the BRF. That would be naive.
The BP put together a quick statement and I think it's all we're gonna get today. The timing is not working in their favour - late evening and all. They'll probably need some time to regroup and decide how they're going to go about it.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Majesty

May I suggest that the thread title be changed to “the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to step back [....] ?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

The BBC said that sources are saying this no way to treat a 93 year old. Also that the Queen, Charles and William found out a week ago that the Sussexes wanted something different and we're just beginning to think about what that would be.

It is very very sad for all of them. They are also saying this won't happen because you are in or you are out.

You know I am astounded by the polarisation of Meghan and how people shout about the racism of the press but most of that is social media and how on earth do you even begin to tackle that. You can't. And it just makes me sad for her too because she is being defended because she is a woman of colour like it is her only story. She is many thinks and has much to offer and she doesn't deserve such a unitary story.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well how about this little tidbit. Tom Bradby was just on ITV news saying that the family were well aware of what Harry and Meghan wanted. It seemed it didn't mean to come out yet but someone inside leaked it to The Sun (it was their big exclusive last night) and that prompted them to put out the statement. He was on GMB this morning kind of talking around it but back tonight on ITV basically confirming people close to them were well aware as were the royals. So that is interesting...
He seems like their spokesperson given that he also did the documentary in South Africa. So, this can be seen as H&M's version.

BP confirmed that they were aware that H&M wanted 'a different approach' but that is very far from launching a statement and website telling the world how you envision things to work out when according to BP all is in 'an early stage'; i.e., hardly anything seems to have been agreed upon/figured out in close collaboration with the rest of the family.

I don't think they build this website in one day/today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
He seems like their spokesperson given that he also did the documentary in South Africa. So, this can be seen as H&M's version.

BP confirmed that they were aware that H&M wanted 'a different approach' but that is very far from launching a statement and website telling the world how you envision things to work out when according to BP all is in 'an early stage'; i.e., hardly anything seems to have been agreed upon/figured out in close collaboration with the rest of the family.

I don't think they built this website today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.
The BBC suggesting that the Queen and other senior royals were not consulted and that they are understood to be “ hurt” is significant. I mean, that is the BBC , not THe Sun or The Daily Mail.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
The BBC said that sources are saying this no way to treat a 93 year old. Also that the Queen, Charles and William found out a week ago that the Sussexes wanted something different and we're just beginning to think about what that would be.

It is very very sad for all of them. They are also saying this won't because you are in or you are out.
This is very sad and he showed no respect to his almost 94 & 99 year old grandparents who have dutiful worked their whole lives
Old 01-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Which I read as saying they were taken by surprise and still don’t know what to make of it.

No matter where one stands in the debate, the way the Sussexes did it (basically pushing the Palace into a corner) is unforgivable in my humble opinion. It is “ my way or the highway” on steroids really.
That is exactly how it appears. There is no question at this point that they are going rogue and doing it without consideration to others that will be affected. I see nothing but pure self interest in these decisions and actions without regard to TRF. Really bizarre.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

Did the website url change? It is now https://sussexofficial.uk, wasn't it sussexroyal.com as noted on the first post of this thread?

ETA:
Nevermind, it is working now, maybe it was a temporary crash.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
This is very sad and he showed no respect to his almost 94 & 99 year old grandparents who have dutiful worked their whole lives
Who Harry himself said on her diamond jubilee had given up everything she wanted and put her duty before herself. I get that he may not want the same but their is a material trade off and their are worse situations to be born into.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

I don't think they build this website in one day/today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.
Other correspondents are saying the same thing though. Not just him. The family were not unaware that Harry and Meghan wanted out. What I am suspecting based on all that is being said is that they expected this "transition" to have taking much longer to happen. At least a few weeks. But it seems that The Sun sped things up on the Sussexes end for whatever reason. That is being made clear.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
But basically some people are saying that these aloof and racists nonagerians got what they derserved.
This World is a mess, really ...
Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Other correspondents are saying the same thing though. Not just him. The family were not unaware that Harry and Meghan wanted out. What I am suspecting based on all that is being said is that they expected this "transition" to have taking much longer to happen. At least a few weeks. But it seems that The Sun sped things up on the Sussexes end for whatever reason. That is being made clear.
OH please like the papers don't hold off on stories and do deals. That is ridiculous...they do,it all the time. This is a transactional relationship.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I wasn't surprised by this choice but I'm disappointed at the way the Sussexes went about it. If I were in their position, I would at least consult HM or Prince Charles about how I could go about this - it's giving off the feel of kids running away from home because they don't get on with their parents. I normally like the Sussexes and supported them in their decision to file a lawsuit, but this wasn't the best way to go about the "next step" IMO.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
OH please like the papers don't hold off on stories and do deals. That is ridiculous...they do,it all the time. This is a transactional relationship.
Well clearly not. Wootton was pretty proud of his scoop despite people slagging him off all last night. Either way it was leaked and now they have responded.

I mean honestly Harry and Meghan were irrelevant in the grand scheme if things right> That is what was constantly said, so I am not sure why some of the same people are not upset they are gone. That is exactly what they wanted.

And their new website is sussexroyal.com for the one who asked.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There has been a statement from BP saying that it is 'more complicated' and that discussions are at 'an early stage'.
Thank you.

Is that all the statement says?
Because if so, it is very clear to me, and being as detached as possible, that the court was taken by surprise.

Because this announcement by H&M ought to have been followed up by a clear statement from the palace within the hour.

So logic says that this was not coordinated, that H&M's future role has not been finally resolved.
Going out without co-coordinating with the palace just because a tabloid has gotten hold of the news in advance is IMO reckless, ill-advised, inconsiderate and amateurish.

Okay, so a next question is: Since the palace issued a statement basically saying that there were ongoing, complicated talks with the BRF in regards to this move by H&M, were H&M trying to force the rest of the BRF by presenting them with a fait accompli? I.e. a way of getting their way?
Because by outlining their future role and intentions in their statement, H&M have put the BRF in a most difficult situation!

The BRF can hardly go out saying "no way!" That would officially turn this into a major rift between the BRF and H&M.
So the BRF is forced in some way to express support for H&M's decision in order not to be seen left standing there with their pants down.

But anyone can see that. So I fear such a unilateral move will do H&M much more damage, especially in regards to the British population, than gaining them sympathy.
And it will still be up to the rest of the BRF to de facto decide H&M's future role, whether H&M have realized this or not.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well clearly not. Wootton was pretty proud of his scoop despite people slagging him off all last night. Either way it was leaked and now they have responded.

I mean honestly Harry and Meghan were irrelevant in the grand scheme if things right> That is what was constantly said, so I am not sure why some of the same people are not upset they are gone. That is exactly what they wanted.

And their new website is sussexroyal.com for the one who asked.
File not found at sussexroyal.com. Everything is at sussexofficial.uk but I can't recall whether or not that is a change from before this afternoon/evening's announcement.

Frankly, I find this pretty shameful of them. I'm in agreement with the sentiments already expressed by wyevale and Lumutqueen. They will soon find they cannot have their cake and eat it too.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:22 PM
Nobility

If the Sussexes wanted the element of surprise as a sort of leverage, they have it. For about 48 hours is my guess.

Then they lose whatever advantage they might have had because I find it hard to believe that no one at BP has long since gamed out what might happen if they took this tack.

Interesting days ahead at BP, BBC, DM, etc.

And that means interesting days at The Royal Forums as well. God bless the mods!

Closed Thread