The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember him having to retract one of his stories (was it the car park story?), but I think that his overall hit ratio is pretty decent. When he broke the story about the tiara which got the ball rolling on the negative Meghan stories, he was over-the-top with his negative view of Meghan and my take away is that you have to read his stuff with a critical eye, but I for one think that he has good sources. Bear in mind that a top-notch source may feed false information in order to further their own agenda.

A stop clock is right twice a day. We have no idea if the tiaras story is right and I doubt it is. How could Meghan want one they were unlikely to have shown here. I mean they have loads. Unless of course what she wanted was Eugenie's one and that had been earmarked. The one Eugenie wore is quite a known one.

Part of me wonders if Charles is happy to keep funding them with money from the Duchy and his own wealth to help ensure there is always some sort of contact with them. Looking at how quickly (what 19months?) they've gone from a relatively big wedding with most of the usual royal trappings, to now leaving the RF and moving overseas. I wonder if Charles feels (or fears) that without something linking them, some need of the Sussexes to stay in touch and contact, they would simply never been in touch again. Continuing with funding that you are already giving from what is - let's be honest, not a source of income you need to worry about disappearing or being exhausted, doesn't seem much if it means you know they will always have to stay in contact.

Exactly, and not for one year but for 3 years in a row. So, unless their home base is the UK and they only spend a few months in North America (or anywhere else) it is not feasible.

I also wonder what will happen to Meghan's British immigration status if she no longer lives in the UK and is no longer a working member of the royal family. On what basis would she be allowed to stay in the UK (is being married to a Brit sufficient?) and if so, under which conditions.

Like most countries, the UK allows the spouse of a British citizen to apply for permission to stay (which presumably she already has).

I don't foresee Meghan spending 9 months out of the year in the UK though and public scrutiny will not allow her to get special treatment in this matter

Last edited:
Part of me wonders if Charles is happy to keep funding them with money from the Duchy and his own wealth to help ensure there is always some sort of contact with them. Looking at how quickly (what 19months?) they've gone from a relatively big wedding with most of the usual royal trappings, to now leaving the RF and moving overseas. I wonder if Charles feels (or fears) that without something linking them, some need of the Sussexes to stay in touch and contact, they would simply never been in touch again. Continuing with funding that you are already giving from what is - let's be honest, not a source of income you need to worry about disappearing or being exhausted, doesn't seem much if it means you know they will always have to stay in contact.

He can't put it through on the Duchy accounts...scrutinised. For the first time in his life Harry may actually be given a budget.I don't honestly think the money thing is a big issue to them. They don't have to care about money. It is always there. The Queen...welll she is another generation.

Sentable speech. Harry defends Meghan because she is being branded as Yoko Ono 2.0. Harry takes a swipe at the media. Harry did not publicly throw his family under the bus.

Reporters relying on their "palace sources" . Tominey has no credibility here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point-He's angry with his father for saying no to what they wanted, like a rival court, but he needs dad’s money to live in the style to which he is accustomed.

Probably. I don't think his father told him "no" in the past many times. So he isn't handling it well, and likely sees it as his dad turning his back on him when he needed him the most. Even though Charles had no choice, the Sussexes' plan was unreasonable and unworkable.

For this same reason maybe Harry now has a better opinion of William. Things were stressed when they were all under KP and the royal foundation. I think the Sussexes had lofty commercial goals and William was telling them "no". As such they saw William as a "meanie" who wasn't letting them thrive and they thought if they could work with CH or BP instead they'd get what they wanted. So they left KP and still were being told by Charles that their capitalist-global plans couldn't happen.

Now Harry likely realizing that William was just upholding BRF standards of practice as expected by Charles and the Queen, so William wasn't the 'enemy' with a vendetta against him. The brothers will never see eye to eye professionally but now Harry may hope to build back a personal bond with his brother. Whether that will successful, I'm not sure, as William's royal identity will further intertwine with his private self as he gets closer to the throne.

That's my theory at least, if these latest reports on family dynamics are to be believed.

Last edited:
So Harry's now off to Canada?

It's good that they will repay the Frogmore renovation costs and for now I say good riddance.

Time will tell the rest.

Maybe the Sussex storm will lie down now, even if for only a bit. Even a tornado can only last for an amount of time.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the Sussex's will lay low for a little while.

Last edited:
I don’t see Meghan ever spending any meaningful time in the UK again, beyond maybe a few weeks here and there for vacation. The more I’m looking at it, the more I’m wondering if the “we’re leaving because the media pushed us out and we had no choice” was really a front for the fact that one of the main reasons they are leaving is because she simply doesn’t like living in the UK and would rather be in North America.

Like most countries, the UK allows the spouse of a British citizen to apply for permission to stay (which presumably she already has).

I don't foresee Meghan spending 9 months out of the year in the UK though and public scrutiny will not allow her to get special treatment in this matter
Yes, that was what I was wondering. She clearly had permission to stay in the UK but I wonder whether there are any conditions linked to it (especially if she needs to be in the UK a certain amount of time for that to apply). Or that she would become both a visitor both in Canada and the UK and formally will no longer have residence in either country.

I hadn't thought about it in these terms but you may be on to something. However on the whole, I would say it is not a good idea to bite the hand that signs the checks.:whistling:

Wow, I hope not - that would not say much for Charles’ relationship with Harry. He’s been a good father - it seems he’s much put upon by his sons, unfortunately.

Probably. I don't think his father told him "no" in the past many times. So he isn't handling it well, and likely sees it as his dad turning his back on him when he needed him the most. Even though Charles had no choice, the Sussexes' plan was unreasonable and unworkable.

For this same reason maybe Harry now has a better opinion of William. Things were stressed when they were all under KP and the royal foundation. I think the Sussexes had lofty commercial goals and William was telling them "no". As such they saw William as a "meanie" who wasn't letting them thrive and they thought if they could work with CH or BP instead they'd get what they wanted. So they left KP and still were being told by Charles that their capitalist-global plans couldn't happen.

Now Harry likely realizing that William was just upholding BRF standards of practice as expected by Charles and the Queen, so William wasn't the 'enemy' with a vendetta against him. The brothers will never see eye to eye professionally but now Harry may hope to build back a personal bond with his brother. Whether that will successful, I'm not sure, as William's royal identity will further intertwine with his private self as he gets closer to the throne.

That's my theory at least, if these latest reports on family dynamics are to be believed.
I think it is a valid theory-I was thinking along similar lines. I do think Harry & Meghan wanted to take the Royal Foundation in a direction William wouldn’t allow and that caused the split with that.

A stop clock is right twice a day. We have no idea if the tiaras story is right and I doubt it is. How could Meghan want one they were unlikely to have shown here. I mean they have loads. Unless of course what she wanted was Eugenie's one and that had been earmarked. The one Eugenie wore is quite a known one.
I've always thought there was truth to the story, perhaps not every single detail. I remember when the story broke in early November and commenting that Harry and Meghan will not address it due to Remember Day observances followed by Charles' birthday events. Not that everything needs to be an IPSO filing, but I thought that if there was not an IPSO filing associated with that story, that it was more true than not. Bear in mind that Valentine Low of The Times looked into the matter and said that his sources confirmed most of what Wootton reported. I think that once you add up what Wootton reported and what Low reported, the story was that Meghan was shown a selection of tiaras, made her choice only to be told that she could not wear that tiara. That apparently angered Meghan and Harry and harsh words ensued. I can understand the future Sussexes being angry about the incident. Furthermore I suspect that Meghan's negative behavior was amplified because she was, at the time, an almost married in as opposed to a blood royal.

I’m very curious where they will end up settling. None of them is a Canadian citizen, but it sounds like that’s where they want to be. The US is always an option since both Meghan and Archie are US citizens.

I would be very surprised if Canada is a permanent option. Meghan clearly has friends here, so I understand why it is a good temporary solution. There would be no residency/citizenship issues in the US. Of course, we don't really know what their plans are.

Harry's speech was very good--some messages clear, others less so. I think it was the best he could do in the circumstances.

Prince Charles is said to be saddened by what has happened but believes that if his son is going to be happier abroad, then seeing less of him and his grandson, Archie, is a price he will have to pay?

Well, that’s just so sad, but beautiful....a father’s love. Whatever their actual relationship, I DO hope that Harry will make a point to visit his pa, bringing sweet Archie with him

On a financial note, it appears that Charles is funding Harry and Meghan for a year, then it will be reviewed..it appears that this is really to enable his son to land on his feet. That makes sense.

I think it is a valid theory-I was thinking along similar lines. I do think Harry & Meghan wanted to take the Royal Foundation in a direction William wouldn’t allow and that caused the split with that.

The fundamental nature of Charles and Williams’ futures make it impossible that they could support Harry in his ventures as much as they wanted to; I agree with you both.

Harry is a parent now, and he’ll come to understand that parents often have to say “no”, lol.

What he needs to understand is that his pa and brother will always love him and have his back

Family relationships can be complicated at the best of times, especially when we’re talking about an adult child still relying on his father’s money. I think that, given their unique situation as royals, the financial issue, the very public divorce for the ages in the background and, finally, the death of Diana, the state of the relationship between Charles and his sons is probably complex, to put it mildly. So much water under the bridge.

William was lucky to find a wife with a very stable family background. Kate can provide the blueprint for a normal, “boring,” family life. He’s also always had the benefit of knowing what his life and career will look like from start to finish. Less freedom but more security.

IMO Harry still has issues from everything that happened when he was a child and adolescent. He also could have used some of the structure that was put in place for William.

In any event, if what he says in his speech is true, I think both he and the BRF will benefit from his absence. He made it crystal clear he hasn’t wanted to be there for some time now. I don’t know what he’ll do if he discovers that the source of his unhappiness runs deeper than the royal family, the media, his financial dependence, etc, because he has no choice now but to make his new life work for him.

I don’t know what he’ll do if he discovers that the source of his unhappiness runs deeper than the royal family, the media, his financial dependence, etc, because he has no choice now but to make his new life work for him.

I think this is a very real possibility. I hope he finds happiness but I’m not convinced this is the path to find it.

Last edited:

Well, that’s just so sad, but beautiful....a father’s love. Whatever their actual relationship, I DO hope that Harry will make a point to visit his pa, bringing sweet Archie with him

On a financial note, it appears that Charles is funding Harry and Meghan for a year, then it will be reviewed..it appears that this is really to enable his son to land on his feet. That makes sense.

It might get reviewed sooner than that....A certain forum that is completely pro-Meghan is now awash in discussion that they are in the final stages of a deal with Netflix worth several hundreds of millions of dollars and Meghan plans to actively campaign with whoever runs against Trump in November...Hopefully this is just idle speculation or the agreement is going to be reviewed much sooner than a year

After digesting the recent statements of the Queen and Prince Harry's speech, I am extremely happy for Harry and Meghan. Their freedom is important; their happiness is paramount.

What Harry has done is helped his niece and nephew, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, the ability to forge their own path and given them choice. I believe this is what Prince Harry struggled with - his inability to choose what he wanted in life.

I wish Harry and Meghan the best and I hope the media gives Harry the space to let his wings finally spread, free from restrictions.

I think that if the Queen stripped Harry of his HRH, the public would demand the same of Andrew....

Family relationships can be complicated at the best of times, especially when we’re talking about an adult child still relying on his father’s money. I think that, given their unique situation as royals, the financial issue, the very public divorce for the ages in the background and, finally, the death of Diana, the state of the relationship between Charles and his sons is probably complex, to put it mildly. So much water under the bridge.

William was lucky to find a wife with a very stable family background. Kate can provide the blueprint for a normal, “boring,” family life. He’s also always had the benefit of knowing what his life and career will look like from start to finish. Less freedom but more security.

IMO Harry still has issues from everything that happened when he was a child and adolescent. He also could have used some of the structure that was put in place for William.

In any event, if what he says in his speech is true, I think both he and the BRF will benefit from his absence. He made it crystal clear he hasn’t wanted to be there for some time now. I don’t know what he’ll do if he discovers that the source of his unhappiness runs deeper than the royal family, the media, his financial dependence, etc, because he has no choice now but to make his new life work for him.

Good points... I’m sure that William and Harry know how much their father loves and supports them, even if they don’t always listen to him. Charles doesn’t seem to judge them; he seems to give them their freedom to be who they’re going to be...I think that’s terrific, even though it might mean they don’t always treat him well. He’s not going to try and force things. They aren’t boys anymore, they’re men, but it just might be that they won’t truly appreciate him until he’s gone. The important thing is that they know their father is there if they need them - and that seems to be especially important for Harry now, if the reports are true.

The good thing is that, if Harry is unhappy in his new life, he can always come home - no one will think worse of him, no one will judge him; they would try and help him as much as they could

It might get reviewed sooner than that....A certain forum that is completely pro-Meghan is now awash in discussion that they are in the final stages of a deal with Netflix worth several hundreds of millions of dollars and Meghan plans to actively campaign with whoever runs against Trump in November...Hopefully this is just idle speculation or the agreement is going to be reviewed much sooner than a year

I saw that in the DM...are they trying to go into producing tv shows and movies? Vehicles for Meghan? I doubt Charles is going to want to oversee what Harry is doing with the $ - in fact, it’s probably not a good idea as if he wants to be independent, he’s got to sink or swim on his own.

Good points... I’m sure that William and Harry know how much their father loves and supports them, even if they don’t always listen to him. Charles doesn’t seem to judge them; he seems to give them their freedom to be who they’re going to be...I think that’s terrific, even though it might mean they don’t always treat him well. He’s not going to try and force things. They aren’t boys anymore, they’re men, but it just might be that they won’t truly appreciate him until he’s gone. The important thing is that they know their father is there if they need them - and that seems to be especially important for Harry now, if the reports are true.

The good thing is that, if Harry is unhappy in his new life, he can always come home - no one will think worse of him, no one will judge him; they would try and help him as much as they could

I think that's a little optimistic. I think his public image in the UK will not bounce back just because he said "oops, I prefer my old life after all!". Now if he wants to come back as a private citizen I'm sure he can rebuild his family relationships overtime, that trust will be hard to earn. But if he comes back trying to be "Prince Harry", they'll be plenty of judgment. He would need to give the public an epic mea culpa, even then he might not be embraced.

Harry's speech was very moving and it felt right to speak to the tension at Sentebale for me. A deeply personal project that he co-founded to honor his mother.

He addressed the elephant in the room and then focused on the charity.

I am proud of the man he has grown to be. And it was especially poignant to hear him talk about Meghan. Seeing him so in love has really been a treat and again, I am so excited to see what they work on together.

Harry has tri-lateral meetings tomorrow as part of the UK-Africa Summit and then I expect he will be back in Canada for the rest of the month.

This is the sort of political activism I've always suspected Meghan really wants to do. If she's simply a private citizen, even one who happens to hold a title, there's not much that can be one to stop it. But the BRF who won't even let prime ministers onto their balcony because it might be perceived as an endorsement is absolutely not going to pay for this.

I'm undecided about whether she ever sincerely intended to try to fit into the royal mold. Thus far, aside from the website announcement, she hasn't done anything she couldn't have done while remaining a working royal. That's consistent with basically wanting the same things, but being unable or unwilling to handle the media attention. But if she starts doing all kinds of things that would never in a million years have been allowed for a working royal, I'm going to find it harder and harder to believe that she ever intended to have a life where she couldn't do those things.

I think that's a little optimistic. I think his public image in the UK will not bounce back just because he said "oops, I prefer my old life after all!". Now if he wants to come back as a private citizen I'm sure he can rebuild his family relationships overtime, that trust will be hard to earn. But if he comes back trying to be "Prince Harry", they'll be plenty of judgment. He would need to give the public an epic mea culpa, even then he might not be embraced.

Sorry, I meant his family; it’s a lot more complicated with the public.

Another article on Charles, William and Harry....

Poor Charles...I hope he was able to find some peace in Scotland.

I’m sure no one will blame him for this, though I understand why he would think they would.

I didn’t know that there was a point where he and William weren’t speaking. How sad..I just can’t imagine things ever getting to that point in any family; that’s heartbreaking. Maybe it’s because he was old enough to remember the worst of those days, and be blamed his father. Who knows? I’m glad things are better between them now, and I hope things will be ok with Harry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7905619/RICHARD-KAY-Prince-Charles-massively-sad.html

:previous:That needs a whole box of salt. There are so many things that don’t even make sense.

I do believe he may have been an indulgent parent.

I’ve said before, take some facts, give them a spin, embroider some new details and you have a new, not quite true, story

This is interesting because throughout all of this I've been thinking that Harry is showing that he truly takes after his mother. Basically this is shaping up to be very similar to Diana's post-divorce set up.

Diana dismissed her royal security which, had that still been in place, IMO (and others), she would not have met her untimely death. My understanding is that security is one of the items still being worked on, and I hope that all involved have cool heads and compassionate hearts.

Yes, as angry as I am about what H& M have done and as much as I don't want Charles to support them, I do think they need proper security. It is an understatement to say it would be awful for a repeat of what happened with Diana, and some people need to be protected from themselves.

Another article on Charles, William and Harry....

Poor Charles...I hope he was able to find some peace in Scotland.

I’m sure no one will blame him for this, though I understand why he would think they would.

I didn’t know that there was a point where he and William weren’t speaking. How sad..I just can’t imagine things ever getting to that point in any family; that’s heartbreaking. Maybe it’s because he was old enough to remember the worst of those days, and be blamed his father. Who knows? I’m glad things are better between them now, and I hope things will be ok with Harry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7905619/RICHARD-KAY-Prince-Charles-massively-sad.html

Sounds like laissez faire parenting run amok. In the future if Charles finds himself too indulgent he needs to ask himself "What would Prince Philip do?"

Though I can understand why his sons would be frustrated with him. He sounds very passive-aggressive in this article. When one son upsets him he whines to the other son about the problem and expects that son to approach the other. I can see where William and Harry's relationship might have weakened because of this. I expect when the Sussexes were at KP, William was forced into the role of bad cop over some of the Sussexes' unrealistic requests, while Charles played doting dad to Harry's face.

Harry's speech was very moving and it felt right to speak to the tension at Sentebale for me.

Harry's speech was actually confrontational and tried to pin the blame on the Royal Family for driving him out, which is actually a distorted version of reality.

Basically we have a situation where someone makes unacceptable demands and, when his demands are (justifiably) turned down, he blames the other side for forcing him out. Again, Harry's sense of entitlement is showing.

I am sorry for having to say that, but I wasn't moved an inch by his speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom