The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Queen Claude, I can't imagine Harry would have a serious issue with that generations photo; wouldn't he know the history behind such a photo?
Yes he would know the history but that does not mean that Harry agreed with the practice and could have considered it an anachronism. I may be wrong about this but when I was rethinking my initial dismissal of Harry not being pleased about the four generations photo, the thought occurred to me that there were no generations pictures taken when Diana was alive. Again I am not 100% sure but I have done a couple google image searches, and other one from William's christening photo which of course Harry did not exist for, I have not come across a generations photos released during Diana's lifetime.

Yes he would know the history but that does not mean that Harry agreed with the practice and could have considered it an anachronism. I may be wrong about this but when I was rethinking my initial dismissal of Harry not being pleased about the four generations photo, the thought occurred to me that there were no generations pictures taken when Diana was alive. Again I am not 100% sure but I have done a couple google image searches, and other one from William's christening photo which of course Harry did not exist for, I have not come across a generations photos released during Diana's lifetime.

There have been several “four generations” photos taken in the past few years- at George’s christening, for the stamp when George was around 2, and now with the one taken at Christmas. I think that it’s just media ridiculousness that Harry was upset about it. His family wasn’t even in the UK at the time the photo was released, and none of the other grandchildren or great-grandchildren were included so it wasn’t like Archie was being singled out by being excluded.

A question on the statement from Buckingham Palace:

The announcement stated "With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations."

Are a portion of their patronages currently considered "private" and others not?

Or will they maintain all of their current royal patronages, but reclassify them as "private"?

Or is this one of the details which is yet to be clarified?

https://www.royal.uk/statement-her-majesty-queen-0

We have some words from “the horses mouth”, so to speak.

Henry at a Sentebale event this evening.

Henry making it almost crystal clear in the speech that he has made the decision to step back.

A question on the statement from Buckingham Palace:

The announcement stated "With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations."

Are a portion of their patronages currently considered "private" and others not?

Or will they maintain all of their current royal patronages, but reclassify them as "private"?

Or is this one of the details which is yet to be clarified?

https://www.royal.uk/statement-her-majesty-queen-0

It’s yet to be clarified properly, however I have understood it that patronage’s that have been Henry’s and only Henry’s, are “private ones”. Sentebale, Invictus Games and so on. Same with Meghan with the likes of Smartworks perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can imagine him/them saying anything TBH - as an example, I give you 'collaborating' with the Queen [as if they were recording an album with her].

I noticed that too and cringed. It's a power play. They used "collaborating' to try and put themselves on equal footing with the Queen. Something they are not!

Harry is very honest. I’m glad her spoke his truth.

It's nice to hear Harry talking tonight about how he loves the UK and acknowledges all the affection and support that he's had over the years.

And let the dust settle this side of the Atlantic after the royal ruckus of the past few weeks.

Harry said he made the final decision. He confirmed they wanted to serve but without taking public money. He was denied. Likely was told you either full time royal or not one at all. He made his choice.

Last edited:
He didn't just want not to take public money, he wanted to live abroad and make his own money...

- this last point also reminded me of a story of little P.Elizabeth (future QEII) going to a store with her grandmother Q.Mary (herself one of the grandest of all), when she was impatient and telling her gran she wanted to go out and let the people see her, after which she was led to the rear exit and taken home, with the words "England musn't see a princess when she is full of foolish conceit" (I posted a link to an article with a bit more text below). "Your loveliest crown is not made out of gold and precious stones, but of humility". I don't know if that story is completely true, but it does seem what QEII lives by, and both Andrew and Harry have forgotten (wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to Meghan)

https://books.google.nl/books?id=te...ueen mary told elizabeth to be humble&f=false

Lee-Z,
Thank you for sharing this sweet story.

Harry will have many generous family attributes from his parents that can't hope but shine through in whatever sphere he works.
The Queen was gracious in thanking Meghan for her gusto.
Though I feel a loss; all the best to them.

“We had no choice.”

Why is that?

Diana. I just saw her standing there. She was back too after her speech. She is was incredibly busy the summer she died. The big bad media. I mean sure I get it but you cannot blame all this on them. He obviously wanted to keep serving. I cannot see him being happy. Actually it's really very sad. Meghan had no life in the UK and she married him very quickly and the media were horrible. I would be devastated too if I were her.

But you know the website and the documentary. Cringe and then cringe some more. Absolutely awful

Last edited:
It's interesting to read Harry's perspective. Interestingly, he does not explain how 'it has come to this' and why 'there really was no other option'.

He talks about 'many years of challenges', so the clue seems to be to figure out what those challenges were. Based on his previous interview and his own reference to the media in this speech, the most likely option seems 'the media', however, their insistence on 'earning a professional income' and 'continuing to serve the queen, the commonwealth and his military positions' would not really deal with that issue; they would still have faced (the same) media scrutiny and will most likely continue to do so now, especially if they take the path that they seem to be taking of a high-profile charity celebrities. So, I am not sure how they thought it would work and I am afraid they won't find what they seem to be looking for (media attention according to their own strict rules). In addition, it makes you wonder whether there isn't more at play that they seem less willing to share...

The other thing that struck me was that they apparently really thought their idea of being both in and out of the royal family would fly. I am surprised they were truly that naïve - and clearly didn't listen carefully during those 'months of talks' that things were much more complicated than they thought.

Nonetheless, I do hope the steps that have been taken will bring them the peace that they long for (especially since the turmoil they created comes at a great cost to the queen and country they express to serve - so it better not be in vain) but I also hope they understand that how they lead their lives will play a big part in it.

Last edited:
I’m kind of emotional, to be honest - that was very moving. I was afraid that Harry was rejecting his family, that in large part this move was out of anger, but I feel better now about things - at least in that regard. His pa loves and supports him, and so despite the rift does his brother. I do hope that we’ll see he and Archie back in the UK more than rarely..

It's interesting to read Harry's perspective. Interestingly, he does not explain 'it has come to this' and why 'there really was no other option'.

He talks about 'many years of challenges', so the clue seems to be to figure out what those challenges were. Based on his previous interview and his own reference to the media in this speech, the most likely option seems 'the media', however, their insistence on 'earning a professional income' and 'continuing to serve the queen, the commonwealth and his military positions' would not really deal with that issue; they would still have faced (the same) media scrutiny and will most likely continue to do so now, especially if they take the path that they seem to be taking of a high-profile charity celebrities. So, I am not sure how they thought it would work and I am afraid they won't find what they seem to crave (media attention according to their own strict rules).

The other thing that struck me was that they apparently really thought their idea of being both in and out of the royal family would fly. I am surprised they were truly that naïve - and clearly didn't listen carefully during those 'months of talks' that things were much more complicated than they thought.

Nonetheless, I do hope the steps that have been taken will bring them the peace that they long for (especially since the turmoil they created comes at a great cost to the queen and country they express to serve - so it better not be in vain) but I also hope they understand that how they lead their lives will play a big part in it.

You know what I think. They did listen and it was frustrating them so they thought we will be realise this to the public and they will support out idea and the family will be forced to go along with it because they will see how much support it gets. Except it didn't, they played a hand way to early, and they realised that the public just shrugged and went. Okay...go. which cannot be good for the ego. Because I think they had a major one. More charisma than William. Meghan can give impassioned speeches and Kate can barely talk in public. But it's the same as Edward VIII. Wallis and Edward were far more charming and he was wildly popular but in the end, when the chips are down. People punt for stability and reliability to see them through.

Moving out of the public sector

He didn't just want not to take public money, he wanted to live abroad and make his own money...

Meghan and Harry want to be capitalists instead of public servants - fine!

We get it.

Their circle will be the global super rich. So how will Harry, giving up the role of public servant and now set on the adventure of becoming a capitalist, going to make (aspire to make) over £24m a year?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-rich-continue-to-grow-despite-global-turmoil

Will the TV deals in USA be enough to reach this amount? Any one know?

The speech at the dinner was really good. If they had negotiated their exit in private and then made this (or a similar) exit speech and left for North America they would have kept a lot of the goodwill that they have lost over the last two weeks.

Meghan and Harry want to be capitalists instead of public servants - fine!

We get it.

Their circle will be the global super rich. So how will Harry, giving up the role of public servant and now set on the adventure of becoming a capitalist, going to make (aspire to make) over £24m a year?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-rich-continue-to-grow-despite-global-turmoil

Will the TV deals in USA be enough to reach this amount? Any one know?
No idea, but it shows me where Meg's heart is yearning.. and I can't help disliking Harry for going along with it...I don't think they will make that sort of money, and will be depending on Charles to bail them out....

and hes now off to Canada......

Yes because one knows to love their country they just never leave. :bang:

There are 500,000 Canadians in the UK. I used to be one. Do you think they, or I back then stopped loving our country or being Canadian??? No. Certainly not. Same goes for expats who move all over the world for work, love, and any other reason they end up going.

Yes he has chosen to spend a portion of the year away. That doesn't erase his love for his country or dedication to his patronages there.

Kind of goes hard in hand don't you think??? How exactly do you imagine he would love if he didn't take public money or have a job???

Would people be happy if he was a man of leisure living off Cornwall as long as he was in the UK?

Last edited:
Very nice speech. Seems very sincere.

LaRae

I am surprised a Prince of the United Kingdom would make sentences like “ a charity me and Prince Seeiso created [....]. “ And, in the sequel he mentioned “ those effected by HIV and AIDS” .

I don’t want to be picky, but his formal education could definitely have been better.

Last edited:
Ugh, now I’m rather depressed. This confirms Camilla Tominey’s article....I’m happy Harry and William, but deeply sad about Harry and Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom