The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There we are.
Where do you puck, that they spend the majority if their time outside the UK?
What are official military events? Not his Invictus games?
Thank you.
I think this is harder than they wished it to be and very clear...
can no longer.....
It was my hope they'd be stripped of the Commonwealth Thing, because ig is too important to leave it with unreliable persons.

This new arrangement for the Sussexes will start in the spring when they launch their new foundation. Until then they WILL do more royal engagements and Meghan will return to ...BUT in a year’s time the whole thing will be reviewed by Queen, Charles and William

What really struck me: in a year this whole thing gets reviewed by the Queen, Charles, and William.

If they are no longer going to be senior working royals who represent the Queen, does that mean they lose government-provided police protection?

Can't see how they could argue to keep it...

It was laughable the number of people who were using the Sussex website to support their ideas that Meghan and Harry would still be working "part time" for The Queen and would still be living and working part time in the UK, and telling us over and again that "we must not have read the website" because it was all right there, laid out for us.

That is not how any of this works. No matter how much flowery language is in those statements, these two just got slapped in the face and made themselves and everyone who believed them look like fools.

Again, the personal statement from The Queen echoes how much this has hurt the royal family, and for me evident that they were blindsided by the whole thing. They way she talks of her grandson and his wife, specifically mentioning how she has become part of the family, shows they were wanted and needed. This is the worst betrayal for me.

The fact that Henry is effectively stripped of his military appointments, is again quite severe for me. Considering his links to the army, I don't think he was expecting that and I think it's going to hurt him deeply.

Debate around, as they're no longer royals, can they use Sussex Royal or are they going to have to rebrand? I would assume so.

According to Rebecca English, but I see a couple if not most, wanting to drop them. :whistling:

I'm shocked, and saddened.....mostly for the familial relationships that seem to be broken. I feel so sorry for the Queen, for Charles, for William......I'm glad that this will be reviewed in a year, however.

And now we truly see how laughable their website was - collaborating with the Queen, I wonder how they like it now.

I like the fact that it seems to be a clean break (when it'll come in the spring) - no royal tours, no royal duties, no royal patronages - especially when people speculated they'll still get to do that. I knew their website could not be taken for granted if it was not discussed and settled with everyone else.

And that quote:
the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.
I wonder if it's a way to keep them under some kind of control and not allowing them to overuse their names in a comercial way. I wouldn't want to see Harry advertising a laundry detergent for money.

I wonder if they're happy with what they got, because clearly it's pretty far from what they wanted.

And it is officially. Not stripped of HRH but will not use them. No longer working royals. No tours. No nothing. The will pay back tax payer money for Frogmore (sounds like they will keep it) and will mostly live in Canada/US and will be allowed to do their commercial work.

They are also still President and Vice President of the QCT.

I don’t see this is a loss for the Sussexes. Neither seem concerned about status. They get to keep their home. They get to make their own money and live in NA when not visiting the U.K.

What does this mean- that they are officially no longer royal? I’m guessing that the Duke of Sussex title will die out with Harry.

There we are.
Where do you puck, that they spend the majority if their time outside the UK?
What are official military events? Not his Invictus games?
Thank you.
I think this is harder than they wished it to be and very clear...
can no longer.....
It was my hope they'd be stripped of the Commonwealth Thing, because ig is too important to leave it with unreliable persons.

Canada and I imagine West Coast of America is where i'd plum for them staying.

Henry has been stripped of his honorary military appointments; the list is

Honorary military appointments
Canada
10 November 2009 – present: Canadian Ranger

United Kingdom
8 August 2006 – present: Commodore-in-Chief of Small Ships and Diving
3 October 2008 – present: Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington
19 December 2017 – present: Captain General of the Royal Marines

They can still partake in their "personal" patronages, but i've already said this will more than likely be reviewed by the individual patronages because I don't think they're going to want a non royal patron. I imagine Invictus and Sentebale will remain, others won't.

In regards to the Commonwealth, it will probably disappear or be handed over in due time.

I just looked at the website. This is so embarrassing for Harry. But more than that it is sad. So sad. So much for members of the royal family with financial independence. Their website will have to be completely changed. Everything he has known has gone now. And his military representations too and his love of Africa.

I am not being cruel when I saw this but no-one will want to onvite tjem to reprense nd them.on the scale they did. So what are they. An actress.eho likes to be woke and a bit terribly academically bright man whose position and charm allowed him to do great work. Amal Clooney is a human rights lawyer. This is sad. I cannot see their new foundation growing. I can see them having to ask Eugenie and Beatrice to take on more work. Is that fair on them?

Harry basically just got kicked. Hard. By his own famy but they did what was right. What else could there be.

The HRH styles haven't been withdrawn - which would be way too awkward - but they won't use them. So he's now just Henry, Duke of Sussex ... like the Duke of Rutland or the Duke of Roxburghe or umpteen other dukes. "His Grace" doesn't go with a royal dukedom ... but royal dukes are always HRH, except now Harry isn't!

I feel really sad. I don't think they gave the Queen any choice - they can't have their cake and eat it. The military appointments are as representatives of the Queen, and they don't want to represent her any more. I know it's not as if Harry was king or ever going to be, but it does feel a bit like it must have done when Edward VIII decided that he was going to abdicate, and to hell with what that meant for his brother, sister-in-law, nieces and everyone else. Harry's had so much affection from the public, ever since he was born, and even despite some of the stupid things he did in his 20s.

I hope it works out for them, and they don't regret it a few years down the line. Or even months down the line ... when it gets to the summer and we see lots of pictures of the Cambridges, the Phillipses and the Tindalls all having jolly days out at the polo together. Meghan will be going back to her old life to some extent, but these'll be uncharted waters for Harry, and that's never easy.

Last edited:
What does this mean- that they are officially no longer royal? I’m guessing that the Duke of Sussex title will die out with Harry.

They will no longer use their HRH and only use their title the Dukedom of Sussex. The way that the title is used is up for debate.

The title will not die out with Henry, as the LPs created say it passes to heirs of the male body. Henry has a son. :flowers:

The dukedom is hereditary and only an act of Parliament could change that.

I didn’t have ttime to process the news yet,.

So is Harry still legally a Prince, but will voluntarily relinquish the use of the HRH style ? What about Meghan ?

How are they known now ? Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ? Or Their Graces The Duke and Duchess of Sussex ? And how does that affect Archie’s future title ? Would he still be a prince when Charles is king ?

Who will pay for security in Britain and Canada ?

Last edited:
I don't think the public will be happy with Charles continuing to fund Harry and Meghan - so much for being financially independent. It IS his private fund - and, of course, he's not going to turn his back on his son.......

I know it shouldn't feel that way since Harry can still visit, but it feels like father/son/brother won't see each other very often - that breaks my heart.

The HRH styles haven't been withdrawn - which would be way too awkward - but they won't use them. So he's now just Henry, Duke of Sussex ... like the Duke of Rutland or the Duke of Roxburghe or umpteen other dukes. "His Grace" doesn't go with a royal dukedom ... but royal dukes are always HRH, except now Harry isn't!

I've asked for clarification on this. All other non royal dukes are known as The Duke of XXX. RRs are stating that Henry will now be known as Henry, Duke of Sussex. Which is incorrect, his peerage is separate to his HRH and was given to him via LPs. They have every right, in my understanding, to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

I don’t see this is a loss for the Sussexes. Neither seem concerned about status. They get to keep their home. They get to make their own money and live in NA when not visiting the U.K.

I don't think so either. It seems it came down to them wanting to live outside the UK and explore work outside the royal bubble or be senior royals.

They made their choice. Though I am surprised by the whole "revisit in a year" and they are still doing engagements (even if minimum) for the next weeks.

Oh well. It is finally done. I would imagine this time next year they will officially remove the HRH would be my guess.

They have update their website with the following message;

Update: 18th of January 2020

In line with the statement by Her Majesty The Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course. We appreciate your patience and invite you to explore the site to see the current works of Their Royal Highnesses.

It was laughable the number of people who were using the Sussex website to support their ideas that Meghan and Harry would still be working "part time" for The Queen and would still be living and working part time in the UK, and telling us over and again that "we must not have read the website" because it was all right there, laid out for us.

That is not how any of this works. No matter how much flowery language is in those statements, these two just got slapped in the face and made themselves and everyone who believed them look like fools.
I think people knew and understood - well, most of them did - that this website was Harry and Meghan's wishlist. Now we see how much of it they got to keep and it's not much.

They don't get to be part-time royals while they're making their personal fortune elsewhere. It was a bad idea when Sophie and Edward did it, and I don't doubt it wouldn't go well now too. The whole idea of collaborating with HMQ was awful. God awful. I don't think I will forget that sentence, it'll be in my mind until I die. So disrespectful.

I'm surprised that Harry lost his military titles, that had to hurt him, especially since we all know how invested he was in that part of his life. It's also interesting how the statement said "North America" and not "Canada" - I wonder if they won't settle in the US after all.

I didn’t have ttime to process the news yet,.

So is Harry still legally a Prince, but will voluntarily relinquish the use of the HRH style ? What about Meghan ?

Neither will use their HRH. It's Henry's birthright, as opposed to legally.

How are they known now ? Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ? Or Their Graces The Duke and Duchess of Sussex ? And how does that affect Archie’s future title ? Would he still be a prince when Charles is king ?

According to twitter, it's Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Which for many royal watchers is incorrect. He's entitled, like all other non royal dukes, to be known as The Duke of Sussex.

Who will pay for security in Britain and Canada ?

I don't think this was ever going to be decided, or announced this early. It's not for HM to work out, which is what her announcement have been regarding. It's for the Home Office and Canadian equivalent to deal with.

Let's be real. The notion of revisiting this arrangement in a year is clearly there so that if the Sussexes find that they aren't quite as successful being out on their own as they think they will be then they can come back and be working royals. It's a tradeoff. I think Harry will find that he's gotten what he wishes in a life of privacy and little media interest. Will this satisfy Meghan? Or will she decide that she wants the media spotlight that comes from being a senior working royal?

Certainly their diehard fans will stick by them through thick and thin but much of the Meghan Effect and the recent Archie effect phenomena will die off quite soon, I expect, now that the Sussexes are, essentially, private citizens.

Oh well. It is finally done. I would imagine this time next year they will officially remove the HRH would be my guess.

Unless Henry and Meghan request it, I don't think they will ever lose their HRH. The Queen and Charles just simply wouldn't do it. I think this period until next year is to see if they actually like the situation they've landed themselves in. If they don't, they reverse the clock. :ermm:

This is now. Everyone gets a hard time once the honeymoon period's over - Waity Katie, Sophie and the Fake Sheikh, the Duchess of Pork. What about all that ridiculous fuss over Beatrice's hat? It was only a hat, but the press went on about it for weeks. And Camilla must really, really love Prince Charles to have hung around with the things that the press were saying about her, whereas it's mostly favourable now. If Meghan had given it a bit longer, I think things would have settled down for her too. And I bet most people feel under-appreciated in their jobs!

I think Doria Ragland is wonderful. Whilst Thomas and Samantha Markle have been shouting their mouths off to anyone who'll listen, she has not said a word.

I thought Beatrice handled the hat issue so well but donating it to charity. Because, like you say, it was just a hat.

It's very clear: Harry and Meghan are part of the Queen's family. They are still "Royal Highnesses" but they will not use these titles. They will not work for the Queen. They will spend most of their time in North America. They seem to have agreed to do work that would not be in conflict with the Queen's values. They are not supported financially. They pay back the renovation cost of Frogmore Cottage. They pay rent.

I think this goes a long way to silencing the critics and the tabloids. As for security costs, the statement was quite cagey...that security arrangements are not publicly commented on.

It's kind of sad to lose them as working royals, but I really hope it works for them. It remains to be seen, of course.

Neither will use their HRH. It's Henry's birthright, as opposed to legally.

According to twitter, it's Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Which for many royal watchers is incorrect. He's entitled, like all other non royal dukes, to be known as The Duke of Sussex.

I don't think this was ever going to be decided, or announced this early. It's not for HM to work out, which is what her announcement have been regarding. It's for the Home Office and Canadian equivalent to deal with.

In fact, since he is still a prince and is voluntarily not using the HRH , I think the most correct style would be Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex and Princess Henry, Duchess of Sussex ,.

They actually wrote “Their Royal Highnesses”?
Someone didn’t read the Queen’s entire statement!

I guess technically they are still TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex until the spring. They will still perform royal duties until then per their statements.

It will stop after they launch their foundation and no longer serve.

They are not supported financially.

They are being supported by Charles........I don't see that going over well with the public

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom