The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Statement is incredibly 'personal' in tone..no reference to the institution of Monarchy, nor the quasi-state 'position' the couple hold/once held'...

Old 01-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is becoming surreal. And it's already sad .

Very sad.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leene View Post
I do not understand it anymore.They want more freedom, rigth? Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy.. so in that case I can understand it that they want to live abroad for a while.. maybe to find out how they want to shape their lives.
This is actually not so strange and also happens in other royal famillies. I already mentioned the Dutch royal family. The Danish prince Joachim and his wife Marie live abroad etc and have jobs.

It seems the problem is that they want it all.. and financial compensation and their titles and protection where ever they live , so that is not really financial independence Or is this all not true and only gutter press ( or whatever you name that in english).

What exactly makes it such a big thing ... what do they want?
Did you read the message on the Sussex website? That's what makes this such a big thing.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Courtier

Just a quick glance at social media shows that much of the public is rolling their eyes after this statement from BP. I'm seeing lots of comments in the vein of "the RF made an offer, Harry and Meghan refused, let's sit back and watch the temper tantrums and toys flying out of the pram." The language used in the statement appears to be me to be more personal than what we usually see and the "we would have preferred" certainly makes it clear that the RF aren't pleased about the way this has been handled.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Wowzers.

The undertone of “although we would have preferred them”. Shows how much they have forced their own families hand in this.

Yes. That was what really got my attention too.

They’ll support it, but she went out of her way to say this wasn’t what they wanted. That was obvious imo, but there’s knowing that the Sussexes were expected and desired to be FT support- especially for William- and directly saying that in the statement.

It really speaks to the tension and hurt around this and how it’s been handled: very poorly from the Sussexes.

Really- this hurts William more than anyone in terms of family support when he’s monarch.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Statement is incredibly 'personal' in tone..no reference to the institution of Monarchy, nor the quasi-state 'position' the couple hold/once held'...

You’re right. This was very personal in tone. Which speaks volumes.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
And referring to them as the Sussex's, rather than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Very different wording from the Queen than we are used to, I wonder if Harry and Meghan have rejected the offer and so things are on hold.....I thought that the all would have been discussed and agreed upon prior to meeting with the Queen for her final approval. Very strange....
Old 01-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51099102

Queen agrees 'transition' for Harry and Meghan

How long is a piece of string? This is very vague and flexible position to take.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I cannot make up my mind if the lack of formal titles is because their retention is part of the discussion or if the queen wanted to emphasise this was a family matter as well as a royal matter.
She possibly wanted to emphasis how it affected them all as a family, over and above the logistics of the whole thing.

It felt sad.

If the transition period is that they live between the two countries , is that suggesting after the transition period they will leave the UK totally.

I know this is not an abdication but the queen was of an age to recall the affect of the abdication on her family, which was basically a family member leaving the family to live abroad and hardly set foot in the country again . She will have concerns that history does not repeat itself.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

That's something else. The Queen herself giving a "statement" on anything, let alone on a prickly family matter. Obviously it's a different medium and a much less fraught circumstance, but I can't help but be reminded of the last time she spoke on a raw matter as a queen and grandmother. And there's a mournful note this time too. Very unusual.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I find this statement strange in the way that twice they are referred to as Harry and Meghan and then the Sussexes in the final paragraph-it’s a different register entirely.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM
Nobility

I'm disappointed that the Sussexes have been run out being full-time royals (and they were...but no role/job is worth the constant bullying they received). However, I'm also excited for them and can't wait to see what they do with all of their new opportunities.

As for the rest, the British media can focus on the other royals who do hard work and don't get coverage (aka the Countess of Wessex, Princesses Anne) and the rest who will be King & Queen consorts can have the British media spotlight all to themselves now.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

There's a lot to ponder in the statement from the Queen. Clearly there was nothing agreed upon except the move to Canada. What is most interesting to me is the lack of any phrasing along the lines of " there has been broad agreement, with a few details soon to be arranged." That is the alarming part in this statement. Not what's in it, but what is missing.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Of course the Queen herself does not write press statements: her secretary does this and the wording confirms the shakiness of the hand guiding the Queen's administration, as has been noted by others. However, we can read further between the lines to understand that the Duke and Duchess will retain their royal titles and that they will be available to carry on their royal duties in the Commonwealth, even so far as moving to Canada. I have already explained in a previous post that the Duke and Duchess do not need immigration visas to carry out their work in Canada as they will probably be given diplomatic status by the Protocol office in Ottawa. There are still many things to be discussed and worked out, as outlined in the statement; I do hope however that the British tabloids and broadsheets will calm down after provoking the Dukes to issue a joint statement denying emnity between them.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

The statement says nothing more than let them go live in Canada while we straighten out all the details.

Stay tuned folks .... it’s not over!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess the move is official. I agree the personal time was unexpected.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ressive-values

An interesting read...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

To me, personally, the statement says that the half in half out nature that the Sussexes wanted wasn’t accepted. What we’ll now see is the workings out of how the title situation should be handled. I think the issuing of new LPs will take place, potentially not just for H&M but for other members of the RF as well.

I think something has been agreed today, now they have to work out the logistics and the legislature if required.

The statement itself shows how much The Queen, Charles and William were blindsided by this.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I do hope however that the British tabloids and broadsheets will calm down after provoking the Dukes to issue a joint statement denying emnity between them.

They objected to the word “bullying” by William in describing the Sussexes leaving their FT role. Which was the right thing to do.

They haven’t been getting along per Harry, and I doubt things have vastly improved given what’s happened since.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone ever seen a formal statement from the Queen where she refers to members of her family by anything other than their titles? The “Harry and Meghan” reference had me shocked.

My understanding is the Queen can remove the HRH with the stroke of a pen. Removing the peerage would take an Act if Parliament.

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...nd-titles.html