The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, Your Royal Highness!

Great news for International Women's Day!

Fantastic news for International women's day :flowers:

Again showing the queen's obvious trust in Meghan. First giving over two of her major patronages to Meghan and now this. The commonwealth is certainly her baby. And it would be hard to trust just anyone to hand over responsibilities of it to. Harry and Meghan are a great team and it is a perfect idea to have them work together on this.

It seems obvious Harry and Meghan's role in coming years will be more on the international level. Representing Elizabeth, Charles and then William, abroad. And not simply with the odd royal tour either.

Like Edward and Sophie with the DOE awards, it makes sense. They will have more freedom to travel and represent the crown abroad. With his future role as king, William and his wife will be focussed mainly on the home front.

I think Baby Sussex was acting up today. She kept fidgeting in her seat and seemed "uncomfortable at times" sort of like baby is sitting on her bladder or at a certain angle baby was kicking.

I do have to say that I enjoyed the panel discussion and especially the inclusion of boys and men in the discussion. I also hope that in the future, they could have some influential men sit on these types of panels to show what male support looks like for the discussion going forward.

I actually laughed out loud at the end of the article where Meghan states "As she enters the final stages of her pregnancy, the Duchess said she will continue to celebrate women in the world, but might consider putting her feet up as a "deserved treat," ahead of giving birth."

Somehow sitting with her feet up and eating pickles and ice cream just doesn't sound like Meghan at all. She's a woman that likes to keep busy doing things and most likely will right up until she goes into labor. :D

If there ever was a way to "respond" to the barrage of negativity lobbed at Meghan on social media or from some family members, she's effectively told them she doesn't pay attention to it whatsoever and they're wasting their breath trying to get a message to her via those mediums. Its a good lesson to learn. "Shut out the noise" and get on with life.

This is a woman that knows what she's doing and does it effectively. ?

International Women's Day: the Duchess wants her baby to be a feminist, so [just like her mum] when she grows up, she can marry a prince and give up her successful career to wear clothes that people talk about?

Really, one could 'hardly make it up'..

so 'she can' have the choice to do so if she wishes - or he.

Feminism is not a dirty word. No matter how it is twisted these days. Nor is it a revolutionary or new concept. Meghan, Harry and co are in good and plenty company. A shame that the alt right found a way to weaponize a beautiful and important concept that has nothing to do with the far left 'war on men' charade.

Hi there. This thread is about the Sussexes and the Commonwealth of Nations, so I'm wondering if we can take a moment to educate people like me who know virtually nothing about it. I'm guessing that Meghan's entry into the royal family and her position in the Trust are going to bring more people like me to these forums, so could an explanation of the Commonwealth perhaps be made a sticky for this thread?

I have been doing my due diligence and have begun reading up on it but I'm not sure I'm understanding clearly. I really want to, because I want to understand the Sussexes' effect on the Commonwealth and the charities under the umbrella of the Trust. :)whistling:What I really want to watch is Meghan blossom into her role as a philanthropist and humanitarian, and Harry and Meghan continue to meld and anneal as a philanthropic, humanitarian couple.?)

Here in the body of the thread, I'd be grateful if someone could help me understand why some people from Canada, Australia and New Zealand say they want to leave the Commonwealth. I was hearing things like this during the Sussexes' October tour. Since the Commonwealth doesn't restrict, govern or tax, I don't see a downside to membership in it.

I hope I'm not asking for anything superhuman. I'm too ignorant to know if I am. :unsure:

Last edited:
I think Meghan expressed it the best stating:

""This is really about us working together, that's what gender equality means to me.

"And having been part of that conversation you say 'there's nothing threatening about a woman coming up to the same level, it's our safety in numbers, this is our power and our strength as a team' - and that's gender neutral if you really think about it."

Its long been a belief of mine that the ultimate goal will be that we see each other as individual human beings without labels or prejudice.

So, just arrived home from my own IWD event and panel discussion for my organisation. I finally got to watch the DoS panel with the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. It's long, about an hour long, but so worth it. The questions and discussions were so deep, personal and yet universal.

They discussed issues that affect girls and women both in the UK and around the world. For example, access to sanitary products. Didn't know that the UK had this problem also with 1 in 6 girls in the UK not having access to proper sanitary products.

They also emphasised education and had a living, breathing example on what educating girls and women can achieve. If you have an hour to spare tonight, check out the video on YouTube.

Really great panel, great panelists and the DoS along with the rest of the panelists shone (they are indeed experts in their fields).

I don't hear many people saying they want to leave the Commonwealth, to be honest. There are great benefits to belonging to the organisation. Sometimes there's confusion from those who don't live in Commonwealth countries when residents of the realms (Canada, Aus, NZ etc) say they want a republic, and a HOS that isn't the Queen.) That doesn't mean leaving the Commonwealth. The vast majority of the over 50 countries of the Commonwealth are republics.

Hi there. This thread is about the Sussexes and the Commonwealth of Nations.....?

So this thread is about The DOS’ and their work with the commonwealth, specifically The Queens Commonwealth Trust. There is a larger thread entitled Royal Family and the Commonwealth which could answer a lot of questions. :)

Congratulations to the Duchess of Sussex on being appointed Vice President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust:

What an honor! Meghan is clearly being acknowledged for the work she's already been doing equally with her husband, the Duke of Sussex, on behalf of the Commonwealth, and their other patronages and charitable efforts and advocacy on behalf of youth, and communities around the world.

Listening to the entire panel discussion, I am struck anew by Meghan's intelligence, beauty, and her graceful presence! All of the distinguished yet down-to-earth women on the panel are equally amazing. I like that it was not just about talking for 70 minutes. It's about awareness, sharing, shedding light, and showing others the importance of speaking out and becoming involved. I love that the moderator and someone in the audience asked the panelists to provide practical suggestions for what we all can do to make a difference for women and girls, and in the process for humanity: Education; Action (Giving to others through volunteering and donating time and/or money); Awareness; Resolve not to participate in or to become 'muddled' by negativity (be mindful of what we read and click on); Become engaged in a thoughtful way in voting and in supporting individuals and groups who are actively standing for and promoting feminism and human rights.

There are lots of great insights here on a number of levels. There's wonderful food for thought. Meghan looks as beautiful as ever, but it's not really about what she's wearing on her body, it's about the positive light shining outward from within her heart. I think we can see and hear that light and positivity from all of the women on the panel, and in the audience (including the few men who were present, and the guy who asked a question on social media).

Oops, since I see that JuliannaVictoria has already linked the video of the full panel discussion in post #75, I will delete my link to the same video.

Last edited:
I love it that men are included in this!

LaRae

Osipi, I hope you are able to use the closed caption feature (CC) to listen to the entire panel discussion.

Oona, here's the website:
https://www.queenscommonwealthtrust.org/

Also,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ormer-colonies-dont-need-britain-after-brexit
https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/global-britain-and-commonwealth-nations

You can also search online for a pdf download of a thesis by R.Schermerhorn entitled: Leaving the Commonwealth: explanations from different viewpoints

Hi there. This thread is about the Sussexes and the Commonwealth of Nations, so I'm wondering if we can take a moment to educate people like me who know virtually nothing about it. I'm guessing that Meghan's entry into the royal family and her position in the Trust are going to bring more people like me to these forums, so could an explanation of the Commonwealth perhaps be made a sticky for this thread?

I have been doing my due diligence and have begun reading up on it but I'm not sure I'm understanding clearly. I really want to, because I want to understand the Sussexes' effect on the Commonwealth and the charities under the umbrella of the Trust. :)whistling:What I really want to watch is Meghan blossom into her role as a philanthropist and humanitarian, and Harry and Meghan continue to meld and anneal as a philanthropic, humanitarian couple.?)

Here in the body of the thread, I'd be grateful if someone could help me understand why some people from Canada, Australia and New Zealand say they want to leave the Commonwealth. I was hearing things like this during the Sussexes' October tour. Since the Commonwealth doesn't restrict, govern or tax, I don't see a downside to membership in it.

I hope I'm not asking for anything superhuman. I'm too ignorant to know if I am. :unsure:

Thanks for your question; as a Canadian I can tell you that the Commonwealth is something that most of us in this country take for granted and leaving the Commonwealth is certainly not an agenda item in this country. Our head of state is Queen Elizabeth, whom we share with the other Commonwealth countries and the Royal Family, now including the American-born Duchess of Sussex, are frequent and welcome visitors to Commonwealth countries around the world. Indeed, the Duke and Duchess will be celebrating Commonwealth Day March 11 by visiting Canada House in London! There are indeed some Commonwealth member countries that take exception to having their head of government resident thousands of miles away in London and who wonder about the sense in having a constitutional monarchy. Australia, I understand, is one of the more republican-leaning Commonwealth members. Scotland has also questioned the monarchy. The fact that both of these countries are still members of the Commonwealth speaks to the strength of the Monarchy and the esteem in which it is held. In Canada, we honour HM The Queen and her representative the Governor General, Her Excellency Mme Julie Payette.

:previous: Thanks for your comments gerry. It's good to hear that most Commonwealth countries feel there are benefits to being part of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

At the start of the panel discussion I was interested in how the moderator introduced Adwoa, and then segued into introducing Meghan:

Adwoa Aboah recently had a Barbie doll issued with her likeness [in celebration of International Women's Day]: "Next to Adwoa is the Duchess, who will NOT be known as 'Barbie' for the rest of this session..." ;)

The Duchess and Adwoa (who is mixed African & English aristocrat) have a somewhat similar look physically in that they share similar skin tones, delicate facial features, freckles, and generous hearts:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/fashion-news/a26698277/adwoa-aboah-barbie-doll/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adwoa_Aboah
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bul4URGnlfw/

Another thing I noticed during the panel discussion is that the moderator seemed to often come back to Meghan, so much so that Meghan at one point indicated she'd already addressed the importance of men to global feminism, and that others might have something to say. The moderator was very skillful in her job, yet she did seem to want to draw Meghan out on discussing something about race and about the prevalent attacks ongoing in the media against her.

I was particularly impressed by how Meghan was able to navigate the moderator's underlying intentions. Meghan deflected that probing by staying focused on the major threads of the discussion surrounding empowerment for women and girls. One of the panelists had brought up very briefly how being an immgrant and a woman of color had impacted her opportunities. When the moderator then questioned Meghan on the topic of race, I found Meghan to have such a deft way of addressing it at the same time she didn't address it head-on. Meghan acknowledged what she was being asked, but she then drew in the importance of talking about how empowering women impacts us all. So, Meghan stressed inclusiveness and joining together in her response, rather than focusing on the divisiveness that our society's false and often negative focus on race can give rise to.

Meghan was also quite skillful in not talking about anything too personal. She spoke more in broad terms, while lightly touching on specifics that tied together what they were talking about and why she was there. That is a real talent: the ability not to lose focus and not to get bogged down or distracted by tangential matters, and not to reveal too many personal details (aside from something light and humorous). Adwoa was also supportive in interjecting that Meghan did not read anything written about her. A couple of the other panelists chipped in too about the importance of not reading or focusing on negative commentary.

At first, I was critical in thinking Meghan does not want to engage or identify too fully with the issue of 'race.' But then I realized, it actually is a sidebar issue that is too often confused and as Meghan said, 'muddled.' Also, the fact is, Meghan has already written a lot about coming to grips with her heritage and her identity. She also spoke directly about her experiences with issues of 'race' on several occasions, including: a USA Network awareness campaign (there's a video still on Youtube "Meghan Markle: Characters Unite").

Also, when Meghan was asked in the engagement interview about negative attacks against her background in the media, she said it was "disheartening" and that she chose not to read anything negative or positive in the media about herself. She also said she's proud of who she is, and that she and Harry do not focus on 'differences,' but on their mutual passions. Therefore, she's already discussed 'race' and written about it, and there's apparently no need she sees at this point for her to dwell on that aspect of people's curiosity and/or negativity.

I only bring this up because I think it's such an admirable skill how Meghan is able to be genuinely engaged and attentive, while also remaining cool, calm and collected, at least visibly. Her acting training, her intelligence, and her compassion are such great assets. How well she conducted herself also speaks volumes to the fact of her work ethic and months of doing spot-on preparation and homework. These qualities are surely what has won the respect and admiration of Queen Elizabeth! In addition to the Queen seeing how happy Meghan has made her grandson.

Last edited:
:previous: Interesting post & analysis of how Meghan's qualities shone through. :flowers:

When the moderator then questioned Meghan on the topic of race, I found Meghan to have such a deft way of addressing it at the same time she didn't address it head-on. Meghan acknowledged what she was being asked, but she then drew in the importance of talking about how empowering women impacts us all. So, Meghan stressed inclusiveness and joining together in her response, rather than focusing on the divisiveness that our society's false and often negative focus on race can give rise to.

As I've not yet heard the entire panel discussion yet (going to see if YouTube has it CC'ed today), this post was a great read as to mood of the entire panel. The part I've quoted hit me right between the eyes. Our Meghan has some serious diplomatic skills and is able to, with a few words, deflect things back to the main issues being discussed.

And our Queen is not one to squander talent . . .

Did anyone else find Lord Geidt's welcome a bit creepy? I thought only "close" Family and friends did the double peck and bow or curtseys? [emoji33]
Oh, do you think Blott could have actually written about the forum instead of Meghan's dress, bump and whether or not Harry was a feminist.
Congratulations, Your Royal Highness!
Abslolutely! The original post ended in nothing . . . once again trying to post on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very definitely overly familiar at a public event. The two of them may know each other very well in their private lives but it was a bit much at a public function and put the optics into public view for a whole lot of speculation.

Very definitely overly familiar at a public event. The two of them may know each other very well in their private lives but it was a bit much at a public function and put the optics into public view for a whole lot of speculation.

The Lord Geidt is former Principal Private Secretary to HM Queen Elizabeth II and now a trustee at the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, of which the Duchess has just recently been named vice president. In this way, their professional relationship would certainly warrant a peck on the cheek and the Duchess' American background lends itself to 'touchy-feelyness' in any case. :flowers:

:previous: Kissing on the cheek with someone who is barely known to you is not an American thing. In reality 'American' Meghan may need to adjust to that. Its one thing when you know the person well, Sir Geidt she doesn't.

Yes he worked with the queen for many years. And he may have a very close familiarity with her and other members. But he left the royal service before Meghan entered the picture. And this position with the trust is new to Meghan. It certainly is a level of familiarity that has not yet been made between Meghan and Sir Geidt.

We have zero idea of how well Lord Geidt and Meghan know each other. I am assuming since he did the double cheek kiss, and Meghan neither flinched nor seemed taken aback that they know each other well enough. Whether that was appropriate for a public engagement is another whole question.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lord Geidt is former Principal Private Secretary to HM Queen Elizabeth II and now a trustee at the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, of which the Duchess has just recently been named vice president. In this way, their professional relationship would certainly warrant a peck on the cheek and the Duchess' American background lends itself to 'touchy-feelyness' in any case. :flowers:

That statement is a fallacy. Some Americans come from cultures where they hug and kiss a lot--others come from backgrounds that are very reserved, not at all "touchy feely."

I imagine Lord Geidt and Meghan have developed a warm working relationship, hence the greeting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom