Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations, Your Royal Highness!

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Nobility

A few people turned up to see a "minor" royal enter and exit a building.

https://twitter.com/elliotwagland/st...08673473556481

Interesting, perception, projection, and reality

Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

Great news for International Women's Day!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Fantastic news for International women's day

Again showing the queen's obvious trust in Meghan. First giving over two of her major patronages to Meghan and now this. The commonwealth is certainly her baby. And it would be hard to trust just anyone to hand over responsibilities of it to. Harry and Meghan are a great team and it is a perfect idea to have them work together on this.

It seems obvious Harry and Meghan's role in coming years will be more on the international level. Representing Elizabeth, Charles and then William, abroad. And not simply with the odd royal tour either.

Like Edward and Sophie with the DOE awards, it makes sense. They will have more freedom to travel and represent the crown abroad. With his future role as king, William and his wife will be focussed mainly on the home front.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Administrator

More photos from today can be found here:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** ppe gallery **
Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Majesty

Thank you, iceflower. Much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...720015872?s=21

A link to Meghans speech, she not only sent love to the women in her life but also the men who champion women. I really really appreciate that, and praise her for saying something.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duchess on why she avoids Twitter-
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-08/...source=dlvr.it

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Courtier

I think Baby Sussex was acting up today. She kept fidgeting in her seat and seemed "uncomfortable at times" sort of like baby is sitting on her bladder or at a certain angle baby was kicking.

I do have to say that I enjoyed the panel discussion and especially the inclusion of boys and men in the discussion. I also hope that in the future, they could have some influential men sit on these types of panels to show what male support looks like for the discussion going forward.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
The Duchess on why she avoids Twitter-
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-08/...source=dlvr.it
I actually laughed out loud at the end of the article where Meghan states "As she enters the final stages of her pregnancy, the Duchess said she will continue to celebrate women in the world, but might consider putting her feet up as a "deserved treat," ahead of giving birth."

Somehow sitting with her feet up and eating pickles and ice cream just doesn't sound like Meghan at all. She's a woman that likes to keep busy doing things and most likely will right up until she goes into labor.

If there ever was a way to "respond" to the barrage of negativity lobbed at Meghan on social media or from some family members, she's effectively told them she doesn't pay attention to it whatsoever and they're wasting their breath trying to get a message to her via those mediums. Its a good lesson to learn. "Shut out the noise" and get on with life.

This is a woman that knows what she's doing and does it effectively.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
International Women's Day: the Duchess wants her baby to be a feminist, so [just like her mum] when she grows up, she can marry a prince and give up her successful career to wear clothes that people talk about?

Really, one could 'hardly make it up'..
so 'she can' have the choice to do so if she wishes - or he.

Feminism is not a dirty word. No matter how it is twisted these days. Nor is it a revolutionary or new concept. Meghan, Harry and co are in good and plenty company. A shame that the alt right found a way to weaponize a beautiful and important concept that has nothing to do with the far left 'war on men' charade.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Commoner

Hi there. This thread is about the Sussexes and the Commonwealth of Nations, so I'm wondering if we can take a moment to educate people like me who know virtually nothing about it. I'm guessing that Meghan's entry into the royal family and her position in the Trust are going to bring more people like me to these forums, so could an explanation of the Commonwealth perhaps be made a sticky for this thread?

I have been doing my due diligence and have begun reading up on it but I'm not sure I'm understanding clearly. I really want to, because I want to understand the Sussexes' effect on the Commonwealth and the charities under the umbrella of the Trust. (What I really want to watch is Meghan blossom into her role as a philanthropist and humanitarian, and Harry and Meghan continue to meld and anneal as a philanthropic, humanitarian couple.)

Here in the body of the thread, I'd be grateful if someone could help me understand why some people from Canada, Australia and New Zealand say they want to leave the Commonwealth. I was hearing things like this during the Sussexes' October tour. Since the Commonwealth doesn't restrict, govern or tax, I don't see a downside to membership in it.

I hope I'm not asking for anything superhuman. I'm too ignorant to know if I am.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Meghan expressed it the best stating:

""This is really about us working together, that's what gender equality means to me.

"And having been part of that conversation you say 'there's nothing threatening about a woman coming up to the same level, it's our safety in numbers, this is our power and our strength as a team' - and that's gender neutral if you really think about it."

Its long been a belief of mine that the ultimate goal will be that we see each other as individual human beings without labels or prejudice.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Courtier

So, just arrived home from my own IWD event and panel discussion for my organisation. I finally got to watch the DoS panel with the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. It's long, about an hour long, but so worth it. The questions and discussions were so deep, personal and yet universal.

They discussed issues that affect girls and women both in the UK and around the world. For example, access to sanitary products. Didn't know that the UK had this problem also with 1 in 6 girls in the UK not having access to proper sanitary products.

They also emphasised education and had a living, breathing example on what educating girls and women can achieve. If you have an hour to spare tonight, check out the video on YouTube.

Really great panel, great panelists and the DoS along with the rest of the panelists shone (they are indeed experts in their fields).

Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Majesty

I don't hear many people saying they want to leave the Commonwealth, to be honest. There are great benefits to belonging to the organisation. Sometimes there's confusion from those who don't live in Commonwealth countries when residents of the realms (Canada, Aus, NZ etc) say they want a republic, and a HOS that isn't the Queen.) That doesn't mean leaving the Commonwealth. The vast majority of the over 50 countries of the Commonwealth are republics.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oona View Post
Hi there. This thread is about the Sussexes and the Commonwealth of Nations.....?

So this thread is about The DOS’ and their work with the commonwealth, specifically The Queens Commonwealth Trust. There is a larger thread entitled Royal Family and the Commonwealth which could answer a lot of questions. :)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Took me a while to seek and find but found the link to the thread Lumutqueen refers to. Its here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...alth-4407.html

BTW: The discussion in that thread started back in 2004. Its quite an archive.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

Congratulations to the Duchess of Sussex on being appointed Vice President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust:
https://twitter.com/queenscomtrust/s...46397110489088

What an honor! Meghan is clearly being acknowledged for the work she's already been doing equally with her husband, the Duke of Sussex, on behalf of the Commonwealth, and their other patronages and charitable efforts and advocacy on behalf of youth, and communities around the world.

Listening to the entire panel discussion, I am struck anew by Meghan's intelligence, beauty, and her graceful presence! All of the distinguished yet down-to-earth women on the panel are equally amazing. I like that it was not just about talking for 70 minutes. It's about awareness, sharing, shedding light, and showing others the importance of speaking out and becoming involved. I love that the moderator and someone in the audience asked the panelists to provide practical suggestions for what we all can do to make a difference for women and girls, and in the process for humanity: Education; Action (Giving to others through volunteering and donating time and/or money); Awareness; Resolve not to participate in or to become 'muddled' by negativity (be mindful of what we read and click on); Become engaged in a thoughtful way in voting and in supporting individuals and groups who are actively standing for and promoting feminism and human rights.

There are lots of great insights here on a number of levels. There's wonderful food for thought. Meghan looks as beautiful as ever, but it's not really about what she's wearing on her body, it's about the positive light shining outward from within her heart. I think we can see and hear that light and positivity from all of the women on the panel, and in the audience (including the few men who were present, and the guy who asked a question on social media).

Oops, since I see that JuliannaVictoria has already linked the video of the full panel discussion in post #75, I will delete my link to the same video.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love it that men are included in this!

LaRae
Old 03-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Osipi, I hope you are able to use the closed caption feature (CC) to listen to the entire panel discussion.

Oona, here's the website:
https://www.queenscommonwealthtrust.org/

Also,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-after-brexit
https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/glo...wealth-nations

You can also search online for a pdf download of a thesis by R.Schermerhorn entitled: Leaving the Commonwealth: explanations from different viewpoints

Closed Thread