The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil

640px-Combined_Coat_of_Arms_of_Harry_and_Meghan%2C_the_Duke_and_Duchess_of_Sussex.svg.png

Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Seven

Commencing October 2022

The previous thread can be found here.
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Last edited:

Prior to posting, news-links from reliable sources can be posted freely. Links to support factual information [f.e. to a wikipedia article] can be posted freely.

Articles from semi-reliable sources will have to be sent to the mod. team prior to posting.

• The mod. team will check these links and assess if they can be posted.
  • The mod. team will post the links themselves, while crediting the poster who sent it.
  • Moderators for this thread will be the British mods: Zonk, JessRulz, soapstar, Ista, HRHHermione and Marengo. It is best to cc all of us.
Opinion articles, columns and videos can not be posted at all.

The following aspects are considered off-topic:

• Rehashing of events from 2017-2021, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo. Social media is not a source. All new information must be accompanied by a link to a media outlet. An exception is made for the accounts of established royalty reporters.
  • Debates over titles or stripping of titles
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards the subject, other members or the media
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Last edited:
Reliability of News Sources

To assist in keeping discussions as factual as possible, the moderating team has created the following example list of international news sources and grouped them based on their reliability and previous history to provide factual or correct information.

Please use this list as a guide when viewing and forming opinions on information. If your source is not listed, base the reliability off of a similar source.

Reliable Sources
BBC
The Times / The Sunday Times
The Telegraph
Guardian

Semi-Reliable Sources
The Daily Mail
Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror
Daily Express
The Sun
Vanity Fair
People Magazine

Unreliable Sources
Social Media pages
Page Six
National Enquirer

Not wanted: opinion columns or opinion vlogs from the Murdoch press and such. We can form our own opinions without their help.

Last edited:
Prince Harry, Sir Elton John, David Furnish, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost and Baroness Doreen Lawrence have launched a legal action against Associated Newspapers, publishers of The Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday and the Mail Online.

Article from ITV here.

The allegations include:

The hiring of private investigators to secretly place listening devices inside people’s cars and homes

The commissioning of individuals to "surreptitiously listen into and record people’s live, private telephone calls whilst they were taking place"

The payment of police officials, with corrupt links to private investigators, for inside, sensitive information

The impersonation of individuals to obtain medical information from private hospitals, clinics, and treatment centres by deception

The accessing of bank accounts, credit histories and financial transactions through illicit means and manipulation.

Last edited:
I would really like to see a list of people that refused to be part of that law suit - as it has been doing the rounds for a while now and could only get 7 people - sounds odd.

Also looking at the names and the items that they were looking for - what information did they get. I cannot think if any stories the news group has broken that I can clearly state the information was illegally obtained. Is this historical ?

Wow, I had no idea the press could be so sneaky.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: October 2022-

I would really like to see a list of people that refused to be part of that law suit - as it has been doing the rounds for a while now and could only get 7 people - sounds odd.

Also looking at the names and the items that they were looking for - what information did they get. I cannot think if any stories the news group has broken that I can clearly state the information was illegally obtained. Is this historical ?

I’d like to know how many didn’t want to be a part of this too. That’s a short list of people. Not surprised Harry joined though.

Indeed- what information did they actually get?

These are some pretty serious accusations. Criminal. I wonder what evidence they have.

Associated newspapers has responded to the allegations.

"We utterly and unambiguously refute these preposterous smears which appear to be nothing more than a pre-planned and orchestrated attempt to drag the Mail titles into the phone hacking scandal concerning articles up to 30 years old.

These unsubstantiated and highly defamatory claims - based on no credible evidence - appear to be simply a fishing expedition by claimants and their lawyers, some of whom have already pursued cases elsewhere."

Source

I will be interesting to see where this case goes and what evidence the claimants have.

I’m also curious about when these incidents took place. I know Harry is currently suing a few tabloids (The Sun and the Mirror) over the phone hacking scandal that happened back in the early 2000s. So I wonder if this lawsuit is tied to that?

Last edited:
Just a quick question: shouldn't The Duke's coat of arms now have just a three-point label as the son of a Sovereign? The five-pointed is for grandsons.

:previous:

It probably should but I was not able to find that one yet. But if anybody does we can replace it.

Associated newspapers has responded to the allegations.

I will be interesting to see where this case goes and what evidence the claimants have.

I’m also curious about when these incidents took place. I know Harry is currently suing a few tabloids (The Sun and the Mirror) over the phone hacking scandal that happened back in the early 2000s. So I wonder if this lawsuit is tied to that?

Associated Newspapers aren't connected with the News of the World etc. But I suppose it's possible that they were using the same sources.

I actually think this relates to the same time period. I really think it is historical.

I'm glad they were able to go and have a good time! It's been ages since I've been to a concert. The pandemic and the economy have pretty much made it impossible for me to go right now.

Yes, people attending concerts and the theatre is a great sign that things are getting back to normal. It’s so good to see Harry and Meghan together having a good time in a relaxed atmosphere. Great that they danced together as well. Married for four and a half years and together for six and a half and still in love.

For the second time in less than a week, this is a reminder that members are not permitted to post news items on the Sussex thread without moderator permission. The procedure, as the rules at the top of the page state, is to email the entire British forum moderating team with the link. One of the moderators will post the link and open the thread for discussion.

This is exactly the way the Sussex thread has been run for a considerable amount of time, so should not come as a surprise at this point.

Last edited:
Some news courtesy of Curryong:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will help women in need across the US with a $1million dollar fund in a charity project inspired by Meghan's podcast.

Harry and Meghan's charitable Archewell Foundation has teamed up with The VING Project to give grants of $1,000 to women throughout the US who have been nominated by teenagers aged between 14 and 18 for inspiring others.

The drive has been inspired by Meghan's podcast, Archetypes, which invites a female guest on each week for a chat. During the discussion, they speak about how they have been stereotyped by their gender, race and background and how they have managed to overcome such stereotypes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...American-women-need-Archewell-Foundation.html

Not sure I understand this fully. Are Archewell donating a million dollars? Or is it this other organisation called Ving (whoever they are) which has the money?

From what the Mail says, Archewell is donating the money to VING, which will then make the grants. It's so nice to see Harry and Meghan focusing on something positive rather than on making nasty remarks about Harry's family: long may it continue.

Within the DM article it says

‘The Archewell Foundation will donate the $1million to the VING project so it can carry out its work.’

So it appears that the money will come from Archewell.

From what the Mail says, Archewell is donating the money to VING, which will then make the grants. It's so nice to see Harry and Meghan focusing on something positive rather than on making nasty remarks about Harry's family: long may it continue.

There are reports in various publications about a press release from two days ago. None of them that I can make out state categorically that Archewell is donating a million dollars.

I would take anything from The Mail with a pinch of salt.

Does anyone have a link to the full press release?

Last edited:
It's written very vaguely to create the impression but I don't think Archewell is actually donating $1m. I would be thrilled if they had but I went on a hunt because it seemed a little unlikely since what they've given so far is way less than that, usually "pledges to donate" $10,000 etc.

The Ving project was created by the Lefkofsky Family Foundation which funds it. Nowhere on their SM pages do they say that Archewell gave $1m. Just that they are "teaming up" with Archewell to spread the word. The project itself donates $1m worth of $1000 cash prizes to worthy people nominated by teens. They're just concentrating specifically on women in "honour" of Archetypes.

We are thrilled to announce the VING project and Archewell Foundation are teaming up to expand our community of giVING! Teens across America have the chance to join the VING community and to lift up a woman who's working hard and could use a financial boost.
https://www.facebook.com/VINGProject

"We are thrilled to team up with Archewell Foundation to share the love of VING," said Liz Lefkofsky, Founder of VING, which has awarded nearly $1 million in $1,000 grants to deserving nominees after they were nominated by teens to date. "It's been extraordinary to see the impact of VING on teens across America. We share the joy of philanthropy with Archewell Foundation and are proud to help young people make a difference by giving a financial boost to others who are financially vulnerable."

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...-giving-movement-inspired-archetypes-podcast/

They've already given $1m in grants which is where that figure comes in. If anyone can come up with an official non intentionally cloudy statement that Archewell is donating $1,000,000 that fantastic but I don't think so. They did this with P&G, "partnered up" to give away diapers and things and had other companies "match" donations for Archie's birthday fundraising.

Thank you Curryong.:flowers:

It's worded in such a way I think that it remains unclear what proportion of the one million dollars the two organisations are donating. At least that's my interpretation.

A worthwhile cause though. So that's all to the good.

It's written very vaguely to create the impression but I don't think Archewell is actually donating $1m. I would be thrilled if they had but I went on a hunt because it seemed a little unlikely since what they've given so far is way less than that, usually "pledges to donate" $10,000 etc.

The Ving project was created by the Lefkofsky Family Foundation which funds it. Nowhere on their SM pages do they say that Archewell gave $1m. Just that they are "teaming up" with Archewell to spread the word. The project itself donates $1m worth of $1000 cash prizes to worthy people nominated by teens. They're just concentrating specifically on women in "honour" of Archetypes.

https://www.facebook.com/VINGProject

"We are thrilled to team up with Archewell Foundation to share the love of VING," said Liz Lefkofsky, Founder of VING, which has awarded nearly $1 million in $1,000 grants to deserving nominees after they were nominated by teens to date. "It's been extraordinary to see the impact of VING on teens across America. We share the joy of philanthropy with Archewell Foundation and are proud to help young people make a difference by giving a financial boost to others who are financially vulnerable."

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...-giving-movement-inspired-archetypes-podcast/

They've already given $1m in grants which is where that figure comes in. If anyone can come up with an official non intentionally cloudy statement that Archewell is donating $1,000,000 that fantastic but I don't think so. They did this with P&G, "partnered up" to give away diapers and things and had other companies "match" donations for Archie's birthday fundraising.
Yes it is worded rather vaguely and I can understand the confusion over the amount that the parties are donating.

However I do find that it is a worthy cause.?

In my personal opinion only, I believe that IF Archewell had donated a significant amount then they would make it 100% clear. This is the couple demanded Amol Rajan (who was on their side!) change the wording of his podcast to reflect that Meghan "forgot" that she had sent Jason Knauf 30 pages of notes to brief Scobie on FF. And sent out press templates so all the women for 40x40 began with "My friend, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex". Etc

They would likely ask Liz Lefkofsky to announce that they had donated however much it was. The fact that they didn't but used the info that VING had *already* donated nearly $1m in grants to suggest that that was the amount, makes it unlikely it was anything like that much.

I would assume that the LFF which is a heavy hitter in these circles is donating the bulk of it.

It is a fantastic cause no doubt about it and I can see why Harry and Meghan want to get involved and good for them. I'm just doing as Harry himself campaigns for and questioning potential internet misinformation. ;)

Last edited:
So Meghan and Harry are just lending their names to boost the publicity gained by VING’s work - grants made by VING from VING’s own funds? I can see how that would work for all parties, but it’s not how I originally took it.

Its usually what royals do. Their foundations work with established charities.

This is the project they are donating money through.

https://vingproject.org/

It's an initiative begun by Erik Lefkofsky and his wife. American billionaire who among other things helped co-found Groupon.

Their actual foundation

Eric Lefkofsky & Liz Lefkofsky's: Lefkofsky Family Foundation

So Meghan and Harry are just lending their names to boost the publicity gained by VING’s work - grants made by VING from VING’s own funds? I can see how that would work for all parties, but it’s not how I originally took it.

No they are donating a million dollars to the fund, not just their name. VING will use their money to continue initiative they have set up. Same thing the Cambridges foundation does.

Last edited:

It's an initiative begun by Erik Lefkofsky and his wife. American billionaire who among other things helped co-found Groupon.

Their actual foundation

No they are donating a million dollars to the fund, not just their name. VING will use their money to continue initiative they have set up. Same thing the Cambridges foundation does.

Nice to see you here Countessmeout.

Their actual foundation

Not so sure about that. See Heavs' posts above. Nowhere is it stated that THEY donate that money. Instead, it seems that this is the money that VING have spent on this project so far. Probably VING has decided to double that amount with this new cooperation - but that doesn't mean it is fully funded by Archewell.

It is very unlikely that they spent that much money on just one initiative.

The part I don't fully understand (see quote below) is how this initiative will teach young adults the gift of giving - if they are not the ones giving anything. Nominating is very different from actual (sacrificial) giving - giving is something that 'costs' the giver something - it is not gaining recognition for somebody's money being channeled to someone else. I wonder whether being a 'philanthropist' whose primary aim is to channel other people's money to causes by lending your name/brand to it has eschewed Meghan's view of what giving truly is about.

"but also empower young adults to embrace the gift of giving at an early age" Meghan continued

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom