The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tax year in the UK ends on 5th April, for complicated reasons going back to 1752, so 31st March is a common time for a lease to end.

World Book Day thing - I suspect it was just an easy costume to do, a bit of ginger hairspray and a stick-on beard. Much easier than dressing up as a character from the average popular children's book.

The tax year in the UK ends on 5th April, for complicated reasons going back to 1752, so 31st March is a common time for a lease to end.

World Book Day thing - I suspect it was just an easy costume to do, a bit of ginger hairspray and a stick-on beard. Much easier than dressing up as a character from the average popular children's book.

but he is not a character in a children's book. Seems weird to me.

But Harry is in the news a lot, and I guess the parents were hoping for 15 minutes of fame, which they got. I mean, I can't imagine a three year old saying he wanted to dress up as Prince Harry.

ETA that I know his mom said he liked Spare and wanted to be a prince, but I still think the mom had some influence on that. If I had a little boy who said he wanted to dress up as a prince, my first thought would be a more typical 'Prince Charming' kind of costume. It struck me a little odd too that she said he doesn't have a favorite book character because he can't read. Doesn't anyone read books to him? Most preschoolers have a favorite book character even if they can't yet read for themselves. Although I do hope no one reading is "Spare" to him, as that doesn't seem like an age-appropriate book for a small child!

Last edited:

Speaking of taxes, does anyone know about taxes on income for the Sussexes in the US? I am not an accountant but if anyone is or knows about this sort of thing, I’d be interested.

In the US our deadline is April 15 for the previous year. I plan to spend today gathering what I need to file my own taxes - ugh :eek:

World Book Day - the articles I read said that this 3 year old was all about being a prince. Since he’s a strawberry blond and Mom’s a makeup artist, voila!:flowers:

But Harry is in the news a lot, and I guess the parents were hoping for 15 minutes of fame, which they got. I mean, I can't imagine a three year old saying he wanted to dress up as Prince Harry.

ETA that I know his mom said he liked Spare and wanted to be a prince, but I still think the mom had some influence on that. If I had a little boy who said he wanted to dress up as a prince, my first thought would be a more typical 'Prince Charming' kind of costume. It struck me a little odd too that she said he doesn't have a favorite book character because he can't read. Doesn't anyone read books to him? Most preschoolers have a favorite book character even if they can't yet read for themselves. Although I do hope no one reading is "Spare" to him, as that doesn't seem like an age-appropriate book for a small child!
Yeah, I agree with you! Any child who is read to has favorites. Mom got her 15 minutes of fame. Isn’t it bizarre how that kind of thing can happen these days?

Isn't it just a joke? I don't know why we need to mistrust the parents here. Or why we should take this overly serious.

Last edited:
I guess part of the lease not going forward issue may be H&M have shown they won't be visiting the UK anytime soon.

They haven't visited since they left apart from for major royal occasions - the late Queen's Jubilee, Philip's funeral (Harry only), the late Queen's funeral. The one exception was a stop over on way to Invictus in the Netherlands. Once Charles' coronation is over there will be no major UK royal events for some time - no jubilees, hopefully no deaths for a while and so what will they come over for? Nothing a hotel or suite of rooms at Windsor when needed couldn't provide for I guess.

Reading the live blog of the session with that controversial therapist. Quite frustrating.

Can Harry not talk about anything other than how much he hated royal life? The weather? The football results? The price of cheese? Anything at all?!

Can Harry not talk about anything other than how much he hated royal life? The weather? The football results? The price of cheese? Anything at all?!

well, in his book he did talk about his todger and in an interview mentioned the willies of a rugbyteam..that's not royal ?

:previous: last one is adorable, little boy wanting to be a prince ❤️
Little girls going with Elsa and Anna, little boys with Harry ?

In my day we never had a World Book Day, just cave paintings day :lol:
I think it's cute that kids can get to relate humor, dressing up as a Harry book cover, and celebrate reading physical books at the same time.

Yeah, I agree with you! Any child who is read to has favorites. Mom got her 15 minutes of fame. Isn’t it bizarre how that kind of thing can happen these days?

Don't take it too seriously. The mom is not in the picture of her kid wanting to be a prince, and so far, the most commented celebrity prince would be Harry. It's not her having 15 minutes of fame, it's her 3-year-old having a full day of joy.

"...While World Book and Copyright Day is still a month away, the event the three-year-old was dressed up for is celebrated a month prior and is organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). World Book Day is a UK-based charity which is held on March 2 to promote reading for pleasure for young people, as per their website. "

Last edited:
I wonder if the inclusion of The Welsh Cottage in the Royal lodge grounds, the footage from inside Frogmore and BP seen in the netflix documentary from December may have played a part in the decision, on the RF side at least, not to renew the lease as well. The RF having to watch themselves get slated in a documentary filmed in part in royal residences but be hard for them to take. Setting everything in place days after Spare was released seems a bit far fetched IMO - not that Charles may be upset over it but to get it all done for theday after the book was released, quite a quick turn around.

I think you said it yourself, it was the Netflix documentary that really was the reason for this. Spare being released could have just been the final straw to make this official, but the work could have been done after the documentary footage was seen.

Now on the event Prince Harry is part of from my other link, Prince Harry’s chat with Hamas-defender Gabor Maté, my take is the event would be about coping with the lost of a parent on a tragic event.

Unfortunately, the guest speaker has a very strong opinions on political issues too. This could be the reason for the uproar. We will have to wait for the event to take place, isn't it tonight? and see if it stays on the subject of mental health and avoids dragging Harry into the world of Middle East politics during the Q & A section.

Last edited:
I will go so far as to claim that this socalled therapist is a quack.

How can anyone seriously diagnose a client/patient after one single session?
And not even after the session! But during the session!

I don't even know what to call it. It's not even a charade, it's mockery of an entire profession and of people who suffer from various psychological issues.
It's insulting, a parody.

:previous:
i would suggest it's mainly one thing:
entertainment

I don't even know what to call it. It's not even a charade, it's mockery of an entire profession and of people who suffer from various psychological issues.

He is a therapist. He shouldn't be diagnosing anyone. That is a doctor ls domain.

Very interesting that Harry in YET another pathetic Interview, made it a point to stress he "doesn't see himself as a victim". Obviously the South Park skit ridiculing The Sussex's hit a nerve.

Again, another dig at his "dysfunctional family" and how he, and his "EXCEPTIONAL wife" as he mentioned, helped him from being "stuck in the Royal Family". I guess more along the same lines that Charles and William are " trapped " .....just as he alleged in the Oprah whine fest. Trapped.

I'd love for someone to ask him then by extension..... " was Queen Elizabeth trapped" ? I doubt she would have viewed it that way.

Then, the unbelievable 'touting' of how marijuana....... it " really helped him mentally" ! Sooooo irresponsible. I find that so troubling.

Then The Diana Card......as always Harry NEVER leaves home without it...... and ready to use.......

"I'm different to the rest of my Family, and my mum felt the same". Diana was an 'in law,' her feelings, and what she perceived, were yes, horrible for her to suffer......But THIS that was about her increasingly estranged husband and in-laws. NOT signaling her BIRTH Family as " different " AND difficult.

IN Harry's mind .....to put it out there. He is just like Diana .But Harry is attacking his "blood family". Very different. Not In law's.

So many don't know how Diana wasnt even speaking to her own mother when She died. Frances, her Mother, criticized her actions and relationships and got shut out. Totally by Diana.
Something Diana did to many, CUT. Disavow. Over perceived "grievances".

Her Mother....Elton John, her Sister in Law Sarah. That's iust off the top of my head.....cut off. And when Diana deemed them worthy of being "friends" in her orbit .....She would let *maybe* let them back. Elton got back before Diana's sudden death.
Her Mother, never did reconcile. Diana never gave her the chance.

WHO does it sound like ?

Poor Harry, do you ever THINK of your kids reading all these allegations about their Grandfather and Uncle down the line ????

Last edited:
Isn't it just a joke? I don't know why we need to mistrust the parents here. Or why we should take this overly serious.
I certainly don’t mean to mistrust the parents! It was a cute and creative idea and maybe it will even help give Mom some exposure with her business. Who knows?

It just blows my mind that due to technology today, anyone can do something like this and it can be seen all over the world - amazing! Looking back at my post, I meant amazing but almost unbelievable that this can happen which is what I meant by bizarre .:flowers:

I hope that clarifies what I was thinking ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting that Harry in YET another pathetic Interview, made it a point to stress he "doesn't see himself as a victim". Obviously the South Park skit ridiculing The Sussex's hit a nerve.

Again, another dig at his "dysfunctional family" and how he, and his "EXCEPTIONAL wife" as he mentioned, helped him from being "stuck in the Royal Family". I guess more along the same lines that Charles and William are " trapped " .....just as he alleged in the Oprah whine fest. Trapped.

I'd love for someone to ask him then by extension..... " was Queen Elizabeth trapped" ? I doubt she would have viewed it that way.

Then, the unbelievable 'touting' of how marijuana....... it " really helped him mentally" ! Sooooo irresponsible. I find that so troubling.

Then The Diana Card......as always Harry NEVER leaves home without it and ready to use.......

"I'm different to the rest of my Family, and my mum felt the same". Diana was an 'in law,' her feelings, and what she perceived, were yes, horrible for her to suffer......But THIS that was about her increasingly estranged husband and in-laws. NOT signaling her BIRTH Family as " different " AND difficult.

IN Harry's mind .....to put it out there. He is just like Diana .But Harry is attacking his "blood family". Very different. Not In law's.

So many don't know how Diana wasnt even speaking to her own mother when She died. Frances criticized her actions and relationships and got shut out. Totally by Diana.
Something Diana did to many over perceived "grievances".

Poor Harry, do you ever THINK of your kids reading all these allegations about their Grandfather and Uncle down the line ????

They won't have any kind of relationship with Charles or William as it stands. The only hope is that the children, unblemished by all of this, can meet and connect when they are older.

You make a very good point, how could he diagnose someone in one meeting? I fear Harry has seen too many quacks as it is, offering bad advice.

Dr Mate is hardly a quack! From Wiki. In 2011, Maté received the Civic Merit Award of the City of Vancouver "for his extensive work on addiction treatment and his contributions to understanding mental health and youth related to addiction, stress and childhood development".[19] On May 11, 2018, Maté was awarded the Order of Canada.[20]

I like how your mind works :lol:

But I don't think either princess has any desire to be a "working " Royal. Why on earth would they want that to be part of that mess, with vicious press and resentful public constantly on their backs?

The York princesses have got it made, imo.

Agrred and beside the fact that Andrew is not in a position to blackmail his brother or insist on anything.

Then The Diana Card......as always Harry NEVER leaves home without it...... and ready to use.......

So many don't know how Diana wasnt even speaking to her own mother when She died. Frances, her Mother, criticized her actions and relationships and got shut out. Totally by Diana.
Something Diana did to many, CUT. Disavow. Over perceived "grievances".

Her Mother....Elton John, her Sister in Law Sarah. That's iust off the top of my head.....cut off. And when Diana deemed them worthy of being " "friends" in her orbit .....She would let *maybe* let them back. Elton got back before Diana's sudden death.
Her Mother, never did reconcile. Diana never gave her the chance.

WHO does it sound like ?

He's insufferable and probably hasn't given any thought to what his kids might think. They will be brought up on this diet of his (and wife's) myopic opinions, but hopefully as adults they may learn to take a balanced view of life. Time will tell.

Dr Mate is hardly a quack! From Wiki. In 2011, Maté received the Civic Merit Award of the City of Vancouver "for his extensive work on addiction treatment and his contributions to understanding mental health and youth related to addiction, stress and childhood development".[19] On May 11, 2018, Maté was awarded the Order of Canada.[20]

In that case it's even worse.

He is then committing deliberate malpractice. In many if not most countries you can end up in prison for that.

I cannot recall having heard any professional who during one session can determine a diagnosis. - No reflection, no further sessions, no consulting a colleague, no consulting medical books, no reading up on notes, no in depth analysis. And in a field so complicated as mental and/or psychological issues!?!
That's the equivalent of a doctor coming up with a diagnosis for cancer, without doing any tests, but only based on a qualified guess.

Also, I understand that Maté has come up a number of, shall we say, controversial statements in recent years.

He may not be a quack but he certainly is anything but professional.

He is a CM, which is the lowest grade of the Order of Canada (Member). But he is seen by some as a bit of a "renegade physician" for his unorthodox positions on drug addiction, including his controversial support for the therapeutic use of ayahuasca, which is illegal in Canada, in the UK and in the US (in the latter with an exemption only for religious use).

Last edited:

The event already took place at 12 PM noon time and 5 PM GMTime. Here's the outcome from an article 2 hours ago.

Prince Harry Receives Mental Health Diagnosis During Controversial Public Therapy Session
By Michael Hein - Sat March 4, 2023 05:26 pm EST

Excerpt:

Prince Harry was diagnosed with a handful of mental health disorders on Saturday during a livestream discussion with Dr. Gabor Maté...During the talk, Maté reportedly diagnosed Prince Harry with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety and depression.
-------​
Dr. Gabor Maté and Random House books also presented the livestream where the (cough, cough) diagnosis was conducted on their social media account. When I searched for a link to the video event replay, the only locale is within the Random House's site stating:

Random House, Barnes & Noble, Waterstones, and Indigo Books & Music are proud to present Spare: Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex in conversation with Dr. Gabor Maté, renowned speaker and bestselling author of The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture. Join us on Saturday, March 4, 2023, at 12 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. GMT on Vimeo for an intimate conversation as they discuss living with loss and the importance of personal healing. This is a LIVE virtual event only; no recording will be shared with attendees and recording or sharing of the event is strictly prohibited.

It was not free to view. To join you have to buy a ticket and in return you get merch from the Prince, his book. I did some digging and found when you press the buy the ticket + book link it leads you to another page about the event that kind-of tells us upfront this was all a gimmick from Random House to sell books: :whistling:

Here are some excerpts from the FAQ drop down section on the above sub-page from the main one I listed first:

Prince Harry in conversation with Dr. Gabor Maté (US Access)
# 3 What is your refund policy? There will be no refunds for this event if you are unable to attend live. Refunds will only be given if your order is canceled (see below for reasons your ticket could be canceled), though Eventbrite’s fee is nonrefundable in all circumstances. Please see Eventbrite's terms for more information.

# 6 Will I be able to participate during the event? Ticket holders will be viewing a live conversation; however, there will be no live audience participation. Chat will be disabled and any question pre-submitted and chosen to be asked live will be read by the moderator

Hope they made a lot of money for this Random House stunt. In my opinion, this was not professional and exploiting Harry's mental health issues for a fee, like in a circus, is just a grotesque violation of medical confidentiality.

I'm now wondering if this stunt from Random House was part of the mandatory conditions for Harry to meet. If so, I'm starting to question his ability to make rational decisions is causing other people to manipulate him even more. And that is my free Fake-agnosis. This afternoon I thought it was a serious event and now I see the fine print was to exploit Harry.

Last edited:
Perhaps practices differ by country but diagnosing a patient with depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder is doable in a single session. I did not see the live stream so I cannot state, nor am I qualified to state, if Maté employed the correct protocols in his session with Harry but I do know enough to know that it can be done in a single session. If the information is there, getting to the diagnoses noted above is not that difficult or time consuming, the treatment plan, on the other hand, may be more of a challenge and require multiple sessions to develop, execute and refine.

But surely this wasn't intended as a bonafide therapy session? Why would you have a paying audience for that?
imo this was just the next part of the book-promotion tour..

If the British Royal family, and most of all Charles, had known that Harry tended towards depression and anxiety (and I think after Diana's death it was clear), they should have made it possible for him to avoid the military! It was bound to enhance the anxiety (including the worrying about his status in the family) and lead to PTSD, I think. The idea that joining the military was good for him was a stupid idea which seriously backfired. Of course, there was some sort of family tradition and Harry wanted and enjoyed it, but now they have to cope with the outcome. Meghan and his love for public exposure covered as "therapy" make sure it is bad. But nothing more than they deserve.

I've always had the impression that Harry was absolutely potty over the military and was determined to be allowed to join. In fact, watching his behaviour as an adult, I could well believe that his family, particularly Charles, wasn't allowed to say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom