The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion about why Meghan and Harry declined other properties is going around in circles. Please move on.

I firmly believe that The Crown Estates, in agreement with Charles, request for The Sussex's "to vacant Frogmore" was twofold in nature.

First, a response to Harry and Meghan for their never-ending AND increasingly malicious attacks against The Royal Family. With their attempts to demean The Institution of The Monarchy. Question Its relevance in * modern times* and importance.....WITHOUT CHANGE.
That the Sussex's claim, only they can champion. And lead conversations on.

The removal of their admittedly hardly ever used home IS an attempt IMHO, to contain or sideline them in The UK. Game, set, match.

No more opportunities to FEATURE A Royal "Crown Property" in a upcoming Netflix Series ....."Sundays with the Sussex's at Frogmore Cottage" type thing. With Harry romping around with the kids and dogs.

Which I think is VERY wise. *If* in future, Harry and Family are visiting with Charles at Windsor, Buckingham, or Balmoral he won't be able to document it with videographers and photographers. To show up in a Sussex's Venture or Social Media.

Or they can stay at The Goring or The Ritz. BUT a "Crown Property Home", where they can showcase and push Brand Sussex.....is GONE.

Second, with the economic downturn hurting so many Families I think it just made sense to open up a highly desirable property for use. A smart PR move. Plays very well with the Public at large for both reasons mentioned.

Especially if Charles and Co want to get Andrew to downsize and get him and Fergie to move in there. Ummm, Good Luck with that !

Last edited:
Getting back to the whole idea about them being "evicted:" What did they expect? They bit the hand that feeds them (over and over again).

If they were truly "stunned" by this action, they're even more removed from reality than I had imagined.

As for Harry needing a place to stay for the coronation, if I were Charles, I'd give him the phone number for the local Holiday Inn Express. (Free breakfast!)

From Wiki

‘In 2020, Frogmore Cottage was described as a 5,089 sq ft (472.8 m2), four bedroom and nursery, four bathroom single-residence Grade-II listed house.[5] Before renovation, it had 10 bedrooms.’ End quote.

Never heard of a four bedroom house being described as a sprawling mansion.

As for the somewhat mythical Herefordshire estate, not too many details on it, but neither Prince wanted it. They were both single at the time, it was miles away from London, their friends, any polo club (they were both playing then) and neither had any fancy to be a squire on some run-down estate in a county where they had no links.

It is not the four bedrooms that give rise to it being called a mansion, but the square footage of the entire house. Good grief.

Curryong, we are getting off-topic so I will end my participation in this debate about Frogmore and agree to disagree. Doesn't matter.

As I said anyway, Frogmore is a moot point. Its not theirs anymore. Actions have consequences as The Sussex's are finding out.
Their footprint, relevance in the UK has evaporated and is diminishing in my Country, America.

Suztav, definitely agree ! Or places like Villanova or Devon. Some beauties there !

Absolutely agree with everything you have said. They are wearing on our American nerves!

I see things differently. Quite simply the Lease was not renewed by the Crown Estate office in consultation with the King. It makes sense that Prince Andrew reside there temporarily while Royal Lodge is repaired - Roof, mould etc.
It appears Harry knew 2 days after his book launch on January 10 that the decision was made about the NON renewel of the lease. Harry chose to make it public when William and Kate went to Wales.

That is how I see the situation. The rest is Media hype. For instance you cannot be Evicted if you don't reside in a dwelling.

I was not referring to the original story - he wrote a subsequent commentary piece where he alludes very strongly to this representing an exile of sorts for Harry and Meghan. He's not the only reporter who has taken that view - Rebecca English's original piece specifically says there is little doubt it was an act of retribution (she uses the word specifically).

Can you provide a link to that story? I would love to read it.

I see things differently. Quite simply the Lease was not renewed by the Crown Estate office in consultation with the King. It makes sense that Prince Andrew reside there temporarily while Royal Lodge is repaired - Roof, mould etc.
It appears Harry knew 2 days after his book launch on January 10 that the decision was made about the NON renewel of the lease. Harry chose to make it public when William and Kate went to Wales.

That is how I see the situation. The rest is Media hype. For instance you cannot be Evicted if you don't reside in a dwelling.

I do not think that Harry leaked it to the press. The first published story was in the Sun, a tabloid. We all know how Harry feel about tabloids. The headline was very unflattering for the Sussex. By comparison, the article published by Omid Scobie, their preferred mouthpiece, has a different spin.

In terms of timing, the story was published right after King Charles received criticism for his meeting with the President of European Union, Ursula von der Leyen. This is a serious topic about Monarch and politics. Recently, King Charles has been getting very good press leading up to his coronation.

How to deflect the conversation from serious political topics? Why the Sussex is always good for a headline!

It would be delusional for the Sussex not to expect some retribution after all the interviews and books. But I don't think they would want to publicize these actions since they are meant to be hurtful.

In terms of timing, the story was published right after King Charles received criticism for his meeting with the President of European Union, Ursula von der Leyen. This is a serious topic about Monarch and politics. Recently, King Charles has been getting very good press leading up to his coronation.

How to deflect the conversation from serious political topics? Why the Sussex is always good for a headline!
l.

The King was not criticized for meeting the President of the European Commission. Instead, the Prime Minister was criticized (mostly by the opposition) for advising/telling the King to meet Ms. von der Leyen. That is clearly a situation where the political responsibility lies with the Prime Minister under the British system.

I also think it is far-fetched to assume that the news of the Sussexes' "eviction" was leaked to divert attention from the King's meeting with Ursula von der Leyen.

I firmly believe that The Crown Estates, in agreement with Charles, request for The Sussex's "to vacant Frogmore" was twofold in nature.

First, a response to Harry and Meghan for their never-ending AND increasingly malicious attacks against The Royal Family. With their attempts to demean The Institution of The Monarchy. Its relevance in * modern times* and importance.

The removal of their admittedly hardly ever used home IS an attempt IMHO, to contain or sideline them in The UK. Game, set, match.

No more opportunities to FEATURE A Royal "Crown Property" in a upcoming Netflix Series ....."Sundays with the Sussex's at Frogmore Cottage" type thing. With Harry romping around with the kids and dogs.

Which I think is VERY wise. *If* in future, Harry and Family are visiting with Charles at Windsor, Buckingham, or Balmoral he won't be able to document it with videographers and photographers. To show up in a Sussex's Venture or Social Media.

Or they can stay at The Goring or The Ritz. BUT a "Crown Property Home", where they can showcase and push Brand Sussex.....is GONE.

Second, with the economic downturn hurting so many Families I think it just made sense to open up a highly desirable property for use. A smart PR move. Plays very well with the Public at large for both reasons mentioned.

Especially if Charles and Co want to get Andrew to downsize and get him and Fergie to move in there. Ummm, Good Luck with that !

I think if Andrew was smart he'll try to negotiate a deal for his daughters -- I'll move if you make my daughters working royals or something like that. Perhaps give Beatrice the Duchess of York title since, at this time, titles only pass through the male line and not the female line. JMHO

So, according to this article (thanks Ghost!), Scobie quotes a friend who says that Harry and Meghan are "crushed and stunned over the cruel punishment", and yet another mysterious friend is quoted as saying they are graciously accepting over it. :rolleyes:

I actually suspect that the Sussexes have more sense over this decision than the likes of the Daily Mail and some of their readers (or Scobie's readers). It might have an impact on Harry's legal fight over protection, but apart from that, Frogmore Cottage, however lovely and suitable for a family of their size, is just an unnecessary expense they don't need, so why renew the lease?

In any case, as has been pointed out here a few times by members already, its all a moot point. If the accommodation they are offered should they decide to come over for the coronation is not up to scratch then I have no doubt they will simply not attend. Personally, I think Harry should come alone and maybe stay with his cousin. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose!

Great comments everyone but I'm exhausted. Let me know if you want to comment on this article from March 1st 2023 that flew under the radar here in the lands of Montecito:

The Archewell Foundation announced the 2023 recipient of The NAACP-Archewell Digital Civil Rights Award.

This year’s recipient is Nabiha Syed, CEO of The Markup, a company driving award-winning investigative coverage of how powerful institutions use technology to reshape society...
As the recipient of this award, Nabiha will receive $100,000 toward advancing new work, expanding leadership and expertise, and continuing her impact in the field of digital equity.

And on this contribution, I'll leave for the day because up here in New York all weather reports are going bad to worse right now. Everyone in the area stay safe and ready for the, hopefully, last major snowstorm of the season. Bye!

Omid Scobie was probably upset on the Sussexes’ behalf but the couple themselves are happy in California and aren’t and weren’t upset over the decision at all, unlike Andrew over the possibility of losing Royal Lodge.

The Mirror and other tabloids are now following The Times article with Valentine Low quoting contacts over in California stating that the couple recognise the reasoning behind it. [.....]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/harry-meghan-ok-frogmore-eviction-29369107

Last edited by a moderator:
What does it matter. They don’t live there. Relations are not good with the family, so it wasn’t even to be used as a holiday home. It would probably never be used again after the coronation.

Harry has nothing to do with the business of family royalty anymore. He doesn’t see them, spend occasions with them. Basically he is just a blood relative. Who cares about the house. I hope it finds a deserving owner. Like I said, having seen it, it is beautiful.

He is still Charles’s son and William’s brother. And the King is probably hoping for a much better relationship in the future and to see his two grandchildren on a regular basis.

I think if Andrew was smart he'll try to negotiate a deal for his daughters -- I'll move if you make my daughters working royals or something like that. Perhaps give Beatrice the Duchess of York title since, at this time, titles only pass through the male line and not the female line. JMHO

I like how your mind works :lol:

But I don't think either princess has any desire to be a "working " Royal. Why on earth would they want that to be part of that mess, with vicious press and resentful public constantly on their backs?

The York princesses have got it made, imo.

First, a response to Harry and Meghan for their never-ending AND increasingly malicious attacks against The Royal Family. With their attempts to demean The Institution of The Monarchy. Question Its relevance in * modern times* and importance.....WITHOUT CHANGE.
That the Sussex's claim, only they can champion. And lead conversations on.

I wonder if the inclusion of The Welsh Cottage in the Royal lodge grounds, the footage from inside Frogmore and BP seen in the netflix documentary from December may have played a part in the decision, on the RF side at least, not to renew the lease as well. The RF having to watch themselves get slated in a documentary filmed in part in royal residences but be hard for them to take. Setting everything in place days after Spare was released seems a bit far fetched IMO - not that Charles may be upset over it but to get it all done for theday after the book was released, quite a quick turn around.

Last edited:
I wonder if the inclusion of The Welsh Cottage in the Royal lodge grounds, the footage from inside Frogmore and BP seen in the netflix documentary from December may have played a part in the decision, on the RF side at least, not to renew the lease as well. The RF having to watch themselves get slated in a documentary filmed in part in royal residences but be hard for them to take. Setting everything in place days after Spare was released seems a bit far fetched IMO - not that Charles may be upset over it but to get it all done for theday after the book was released, quite a quick turn around.
I had not thought of this! Nothing like trashing your family, exposing their private spaces, then complaining about your own need for privacy. Even if family members didn’t personally watch the Netflix documentary , they certainly had staff whom they trusted to summarize. And would have found out about places being filmed without permission . :ermm:

I agree with you that this decision had been made prior to publication of Harry’s book. The optics of doing it the day after isn’t good, nor is the drama of it now good either for the family. IF Harry and Meghan are really fine with the decision or initiated it themselves, they could certainly get some Brownie points by making some sort of statement. ;)

Well they confirmed the reports, BP wasn’t going to and this could have dragged on much longer. All these briefs tells me both sides want to move on. I do suspect it’s not as deep as the media wound like it to be. The clickbait was temporary.

He is still Charles’s son and William’s brother. And the King is probably hoping for a much better relationship in the future and to see his two grandchildren on a regular basis.
Well he’s not a working royal and more importantly doesn’t live in the U.K and is not entitled to anything just because he’s a son of a King (second son of a king). Blood isn’t always thicker than water and I’ll just leave it that.

What does it matter. They don’t live there. Relations are not good with the family, so it wasn’t even to be used as a holiday home. It would probably never be used again after the coronation.

Harry has nothing to do with the business of family royalty anymore. He doesn’t see them, spend occasions with them. Basically he is just a blood relative. Who cares about the house. I hope it finds a deserving owner. Like I said, having seen it, it is beautiful.

The house does not need to find an owner. It has an owner: the Crown Estate. It gives a lessee a right to occupy the property based on agreed payments during an agreed period.

By the way, in some media is said that the lessees themselves have not extended the lease of Frogmore Cottage. That the Sussexes were reportedly "stunned" by the lessor requesting them to leave the property speaks volumes about their unability to understand consequences of their own actions.

In January 2024 the Crown Estate will publish the annual year review 2023 and then we can deduct what did happen with Frogmore Cottage. If the lease actually was not extended by the Sussexes themselves, this would painfully bring them close to their alter egos in South Park.

Last edited:
Omid Scobie was probably upset on the Sussexes’ behalf but the couple themselves are happy in California and aren’t and weren’t upset over the decision at all, unlike Andrew over the possibility of losing Royal Lodge.

The Mirror and other tabloids are now following The Times article with Valentine Low quoting contacts over in California stating that the couple recognise the reasoning behind it. [.....]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/harry-meghan-ok-frogmore-eviction-29369107

I think you are correct, IMO the lease was due to be renewed this Summer , there was a conversation approx 6 months before that date. For all we know the conversations could have been going on for some time and the January date is the final legal point. Who instigated the conversation it doesn't really matter, but a decision was reached. I personally believe if they were really angry about the decision they would have made a clear statement to that effect but it has been sources all round.

If they are entitled to any form of reimbursement I would like to think that would happen.

PS I know I used conversations but they are not speaking, it is a turn of phrase which could mean correspondence/ contact or third party but I am sure everybody will get my gist.

Doesn’t need a huge house for that. Got nothing to do with it. He doesn’t need a house to stand empty.

The house does not need to find an owner. It has an owner: the Crown Estate. It gives a lessee a right to occupy the property based on agreed payments during an agreed period.

By the way, in some media is said that the lessees themselves have not extended the lease of Frogmore Cottage. That the Sussexes were reportedly "stunned" by the lessor requesting them to leave the property speaks volumes about their unability to understand consequences of their own actions.

In January 2024 the Crown Estate will publish the annual year review 2023 and then we can deduct what did happen with Frogmore Cottage. If the lease actually was not extended by the Sussexes themselves, this would painfully bring them close to their alter egos in South Park.

Semantics. Someone to live in it.

`Evicted `..!!..How wonderfull...it must comply with their need of privacy....:lol:

I think you are correct, IMO the lease was due to be renewed this Summer , there was a conversation approx 6 months before that date. For all we know the conversations could have been going on for some time and the January date is the final legal point. Who instigated the conversation it doesn't really matter, but a decision was reached. I personally believe if they were really angry about the decision they would have made a clear statement to that effect but it has been sources all round.

If they are entitled to any form of reimbursement I would like to think that would happen.

PS I know I used conversations but they are not speaking, it is a turn of phrase which could mean correspondence/ contact or third party but I am sure everybody will get my gist.

If I am not mistaken, the lease ends on the 31st of March. Which would be logical, seeing that their status as working royals ended a 31st of March, so the first lease started, probably, the 1st of April that year.
Now, we now that the notice for them to vacate the housing unit was issued the 11th of January, but we don’t know when communication about the end of lease started. Six months before end of March would be end of September last year, just a few days after HLM’s funeral. That could totally change the reasons and reasoning.

In some other news... ;)

New York Daily News Mar 03, 2023 at 1:27 pm
By Dan Clarendon

Jewish group upset by Prince Harry’s chat with Hamas-defender Gabor Maté

An upcoming conversation between Prince Harry and Dr. Gabor Maté has drawn backlash because of Maté's past comments about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Times of Israel
Story by ToI Staff - March 3rd 2023 11:16 AM

Prince Harry to hold event with anti-Zionist who defended Hamas terrorists

Britain’s Prince Harry is scheduled to hold a book promotion event on Saturday with a trauma expert who has identified as an anti-Zionist and compared the Warsaw ghetto fighters to Hamas terrorists.

And for something light, this one is cute:

Three-year-old UK boy dresses up as Prince Harry for World Book Day

I don't think any three-year-old can dress himself up. But the picture is very cute and adorable. I hope in years to come he doesn't tell his parents he didn't find it funny. :lol:

I could not find any more news that are not about Frogmore. I tried :sad:

Last edited:
:previous: last one is adorable, little boy wanting to be a prince ❤️
Little girls going with Elsa and Anna, little boys with Harry ?

Genuine question. What does Harry have to go with World Book day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom