The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry and Meghan spoke themselves about the KP apartment being very expensive to renovate as the reason they moved to FC. The sum of over 3 million pounds was mentioned.

And they were dragged over the coals by the British tabloids about everything to do with FC, from the supposed furnishings to the expense of the renovations and media lies about extravagant interiors. They knew they would get it even worse if they got a huge apartment at KP.

Considering that hardly any of the tabloid press coverage was fair or accurate, I'm not sure that they'd have had any worse press for a 5 million, 3 million or 2.4 million renovation. They were going to be deluged in nonsense and faux outrage whatever they did and Harry would have known that, so I don't accept for one minute that he chose Frogmore Cottage in order to reduce negative press coverage.

Well, if it was big enough for 10 bedrooms before renovation, that tells me something. So now it has other large rooms that aren’t bedrooms. My own four bedroom home is less than half the square footage of Frogmore Cottage. The aerial picture shared shows a beautiful large home.

It obviously doesn’t compare to their 13,599/12,805 (I’ve seen both sq ft published) Montecito mansion built in 2006. :D

From Wiki

‘In 2020, Frogmore Cottage was described as a 5,089 sq ft (472.8 m2), four bedroom and nursery, four bathroom single-residence Grade-II listed house.[5] Before renovation, it had 10 bedrooms.’ End quote.

Never heard of a four bedroom house being described as a mansion.

As for the somewhat mythical Herefordshire estate, not too many details on it, but neither Prince wanted it. They were both single at the time, it was miles away from London, their friends, any polo club (they were both playing then) and neither had any fancy to be a squire on some run-down estate in a county where they had no links.

Just for comparison using USA's Realtor.com settings for a Montecito, California's 14 matches. I only included the ones closest details.
1. single family house
2. 4 + bedrooms and 4 + bathrooms
3. 5,089 sq ft (472.8 m2) or approximates

These are your three comparative choices out of current 14 properties if we moved Frogmore Cottage, plumbing, pipes mailbox and all, to the Duchy of Montecito

$10,950,000 / 9,126.83 million pounds- 4bed/4bath 4,696 sqft 436.27 meters

$16,900,000 / 14,086.15 million pounds- 4bed/5.5+bath 4,493 sqft 417.41 meters

$10,900,000 / 9,085.15 million pounds - 6bed/7.5+bath 6,698 sqft 622.26 meters

By my New York state and former Connecticut resident for over three decades comparison, Frogmore would be a good size mansion in some of the most expensive areas of both states or a NYC condo on a great location.

Last edited:
Well, if it was big enough for 10 bedrooms before renovation, that tells me something. So now it has other large rooms that aren’t bedrooms. My own four bedroom home is less than half the square footage of Frogmore Cottage. The aerial picture shared shows a beautiful large home.

It obviously doesn’t compare to their 13,599/12,805 (I’ve seen both sq ft published) Montecito mansion built in 2006. :D

The junior chefs who occupied FC before the Sussexes got it said that the rooms, which included single room flatlets, were tiny. And Wikki states that in 2020 FC was a four bedroom, four bathroom home, with a nursery as well.

Frogmore Cottage is definitely a sizable home but it was hardly some 10 large bedrooms sprawling estate before. I very much recall them talking to people who lived there before the renovation. It was broken up into 4 or 5 separate homes. That would have been 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living space. It was for workers. Multifamily unit. The structure completely different. They said it was nice but standard size. Which makes sense in that set up.

I also would agree they probably liked Frogmore since it would have needed a complete renovation that they enjoyed being able to make it their own. The other properties (no matter how lavish) still have great limitations on what they could do with them.

But yes none of this matters now as they are gone. Though I guess the only other news that might come is if they invested more of their own money and paid upfront for additional years -- will there be some kind if reimbursement. I know that is the new media talking point, so I guess we will see when the financial report rolls around.

Last edited:
From Wiki

‘In 2020, Frogmore Cottage was described as a 5,089 sq ft (472.8 m2), four bedroom and nursery, four bathroom single-residence Grade-II listed house.[5] Before renovation, it had 10 bedrooms.’ End quote.

Never heard of a four bedroom house being described as a sprawling mansion.

As for the somewhat mythical Herefordshire estate, not too many details on it, but neither Prince wanted it. They were both single at the time, it was miles away from London, their friends, any polo club (they were both playing then) and neither had any fancy to be a squire on some run-down estate in a county where they had no links.

William owns it now anyway as it is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.

I have no idea if it is run down or not but it is his anyway.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns it. The estate was said to be run down at the time. And William didn’t jump at the chance to live there either.

Curryong, pictures don't lie. Frogmore Cottage IS a mansion. Out of curiosity Did you look at the picture Ghost posted ?
Lets not pretend that the Sussex's were slumming it in a sub par dingy small house.

The bedrooms alone must be thousands of square feet. My 4 bedroom home would take up around quarter or less of the house AS PICTURED, from air. It is certainly bigger than 5 thousand plus square feet.
There is NO disputing the footprint of the house. I don't care what "Wiki" says. Have the privacy obsessed Sussex's provided details to them ? No.

I wouldn't be surprised, from looking at the picture of this giant house that one side, or wing, contains the 4 bedroom + nursery and the other side wing, has another lavish master suite, with a sitting room as many mansions do.

But since the publicity shy Sussex's don't like info being released about them or their homes, post renovations especially, we will never know.
We only have information on their palatial Montecito Estate because it was up for sale publicly before they bought it.

Remember, The Queen told Harry it "was" a building site, a shell", that's his words. It was scheduled for renovation. It was totally gutted, the previous 4 or 5 Apartments that the sprawling Mansion housed, containing pokey old rooms were dismantled and a lavish one family home reconfigured.

All according to the Sussex's specifications too.

Oh, and yes another big Thankyou to Ghost for posting the picture. It conclusively removes ALL doubt as to the size of Frogmore Cottage.

Last edited:
Curryong, pictures don't lie. Frogmore Cottage IS a mansion. Out of curiosity Did you look at the picture Ghost posted ?
Lets not pretend that the Sussex's were slumming it in a sub par dingy small house.

The bedrooms alone must be thousands of square feet. My 4 bedroom home would take up around quarter of the house AS PICTURED, from air.
There is NO disputing the footprint of the house. I don't care what "Wiki" says. Have The Sussex's provided details to them ? No.

I wouldn't be surprised, from looking at the picture of this giant house that one side, or wing, contains the 4 bedroom + nursery and the other side has another lavish master suite, with a sitting room as many mansions do.

But since the publicity shy Sussex's don't like info being released about them or their homes, post renovations especially, we will never know.
We only have information on their palatial Montecito Estate because it was up for sale publicly before they bought it.

Remember, The Queen told Harry it "was" a building site, a shell", that's his words. It was scheduled for renovation. It was totally gutted, the previous 4 or 5 Apartments that the sprawling Mansion housed, containing pokey old rooms were dismantled and a lavish one family home reconfigured.

All according to the Sussex's specifications too.

You live in West Chester and I live in Philadelphia ... so, I think it's safe to say that you will understand when I compare this to a very, very nice home on the Main Line. Bryn Mawr?

Truth is ... nothing would be good enough for Meghan because she had buyer's remorse and wanted out of merry ole' England before the ring was even slipped on her finger. JMHO!

Do most people in the public eye enjoy posting info on their homes online or to newspapers? I would think not! And I did not say that FC was dingy or sub par. I said it was imo ugly.

I also said that it did not compare with Gatcombe Park, Royal Lodge, or Anmer or the Wessexes’ home. And it doesn’t.

This article mentions that the apartment 1 at KP had to have asbestos removal, which upped the price of renovations to more than 4 million.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/me...partment/7eb0d82f-39d4-410e-95d9-b39aac80b95b

Thank you for finding this article. Considering that Apt 1A had asbestos in its insulation, it's not surprising that Apt. 1 had it as well.

Honestly I believe like all the BRF members who have lived in renovated properties, there were going to be grumblings from some sectors of the public and the tabloids.

Do most people in the public eye enjoy posting info on their homes online or to newspapers? I would think not! And I did not say that FC was dingy or sub par. I said it was imo ugly.

I also said that it did not compare with Gatcombe Park, Royal Lodge, or Anmer or the Wessexes’ home. And it doesn’t.

Harry said in his book they chose it themselves so I doubt they thought it ugly. To me it it looks lovely and bright and fits Meghan's style which is not very romantic or colorful. The interiors were also renovated to their tastes, and the space could have been used to something other than bedrooms. You mentioned the renovation prices but since the renovation cost millions already I doubt that was the reason. There must have been some places available that didn't require renovations that did cost so much. Harry said in the book they had multiple options that they dismissed due to size, it was not a choice between the cottage and Kensington only.

Curryong, we are getting off-topic so I will end my participation in this debate about Frogmore and agree to disagree. Doesn't matter.

As I said anyway, Frogmore is a moot point. Its not theirs anymore. Actions have consequences as The Sussex's are finding out.
Their footprint, relevance in the UK has evaporated and is diminishing in my Country, America.

Suztav, definitely agree ! Or places like Villanova or Devon. Some beauties there !

Last edited:

No it doesn't but that was Harry's choice. He could have had comparable properties to Anmer but turned them down.

You live in West Chester and I live in Philadelphia ... so, I think it's safe to say that you will understand when I compare this to a very, very nice home on the Main Line. Bryn Mawr?

Truth is ... nothing would be good enough for Meghan because she had buyer's remorse and wanted out of merry ole' England before the ring was even slipped on her finger. JMHO!

Why is that? I have never heard Meghan complain about Frogmore Cottage, quite the opposite. They teased about Nottingham Cottage being small but so did William . There is a video of him with and Harry talking how they had to tilt their heads to walk around. It is small. It was build in a different era. But it was fond memories for them all.

Meghan lived modestly compared to the rest of the family. So I think things were fine enough considering all else that was going on.

No it doesn't but that was Harry's choice. He could have had comparable properties to Anmer but turned them down.

Where? Which country properties comparable to Anmer on Crown Estates in the countryside did Harry and Meghan turn down when they were looking for somewhere to live? And please don’t say the Herefordshire estate, because we don’t know for certain that either Prince, then single, was offered it by Charles.

Harry said they were offered other properties. Obviously Apt in KP. My guess Adelaide Cottage where the Waleses are currently living probably was offered since they clearly wanted to be in Windsor. Who knows. Doesn't really matter.

As I said anyway, Frogmore is a moot point. Its not theirs anymore. Actions have consequences as The Sussex's are finding out.

So we are admitting now that Charles is acting out of revenge and not so called practicality after all? Lol

Last edited:
Harry said they were offered other properties. Obviously Apt in KP. My guess Adelaide Cottage where the Waleses are currently living probably was offered since they clearly wanted to be in Windsor. Who knows. Doesn't really matter.

So we are admitting now that Charles is acting out of revenge and not so called practicality after all? Lol
Why say that? What makes you to say it’s revenge? A real reason, not suppositions. It is a genuine question.

Where? Which country properties comparable to Anmer on Crown Estates in the countryside did Harry and Meghan turn down when they were looking for somewhere to live? And please don’t say the Herefordshire estate, because we don’t know for certain that either Prince, then single, was offered it by Charles.
What does it matter? Why should it be comparable to any other royal property?

We have no idea which "grand, lavish" properties they turned down but Harry says they were offered so don't you believe him?

Even if he “acted out of revenge”, what difference does it make? They don’t live in Frogmore or any part of the U.K. If you get perks from a company or family and choose to stop working for or with a company, you don’t get to keep any benefits do you? Especially after badmouthing so publicly.

If being “vacated” from Frogmore is a punishment, then it’s the most lenient so called punishment I’ve heard of especially after their whinging and whining these past three years.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion from the conversation above.

I think Harry was talking about the KP apartment when he spoke of ‘grand and lavish’. I clearly remember at the time that the media mentioned Frogmore House (which would not have been offered!) and Adelaide Cottage which is not grand or lavish.
One article I remember stated that there was nothing available on the Sandringham estate. I hoped at the time that they would have been given some land in Oxfordshire (a place they loved as newlyweds) on which to build, but they weren’t.

I don't think it's revenge at all, although I wouldn't blame Charles if it were. Charles wants Andrew to cut his living expenses, as was being reported before Frogmore was mentioned, but to stay on the Windsor estate for security reasons. Harry and Meghan aren't using Frogmore, and it fits the bill for Andrew.

It's not mythical the fact that the Duchy purchased Harewood Park. It exists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harewood_Park

The fact that neither prince wanted it isn't particularly surprising but it should not be discounted from any discussion about Charles planning for his sons' homes.

No one is talking about a 3 bed semi in Swindon or even evicting them out of a beloved holiday home.

I think Harry was talking about the KP apartment when he spoke of ‘grand and lavish’. I clearly remember at the time that the media mentioned Frogmore House (which would not have been offered!) and Adelaide Cottage which is not grand or lavish.
One article I remember stated that there was nothing available on the Sandringham estate. I hoped at the time that they would have been given some land in Oxfordshire (a place they loved as newlyweds) on which to build, but they weren’t.
Why would they be given land to build on? How many centuries ago was that done for any royal? No royal in 21st century has been given land to build on.

I think Harry was talking about the KP apartment when he spoke of ‘grand and lavish’.

Harry was talking about more places than just the KP apartment. He said they were offered "several" properties and "each was too grand. Too lavish".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom