The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of posts have been deleted. It appears people aren’t reading the mod notes. As was stated earlier, this thread is about the Sussexes. If you wish to discuss the living situation for Andrew, Anne, William and other members of the BRF, you can do so in their respective threads. Further off-topic comments will be deleted.

Yes, I know all about the history of Frogmore Cottage. What I wrote was that it had (internally) been made into four or five staff dwellings at one stage. Junior chefs and others lived there. And that stage was for several years before it was decided it would do for Harry and Meghan in 2018. It was described at the time as ‘a bit run-down’ by a few of those who had lived there. It was hardly Anmer in other words, but was considered good enough for the Sussexes.

They chose Frogmore Cottage themselves.

Quote from Spare:
... we'd been offered several properties, but each was too grand, we thought. Too lavish. And too expensive to renovate.

Given that the Sovereign Grant initially paid for the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, there's no reason to assume that the Sussexes, as working royals, would have been expected to pay the renovation costs of another property.

After they'd turned down other grander properties, "Granny" had a think and then suggested Frogmore Cottage. She said, "It's a bit of building site. Bit of a shell. But go and have a look and do tell me if it works."

So Harry and Meghan visited FC and then phoned "Granny" saying Frogmore Cottage "Would be a dream come true. I thanked her profusely".

Last edited:
Why did they not want something grand? I thought that H was complaining that his London house was too small and he bumped his head all the time

Why did they not want something grand? I thought that H was complaining that his London house was too small and he bumped his head all the time

One of the many things we have learnt about Harry & meghan in the last few years is that they often contradict themselves. ?

Lets not consider Frogmore Cottage anything less than a grace a favour home (yes I know they paid the money back) a home that no one apart from BRF members or their staff have access to.) It was perfectly fine for family of 2-4 and doubtless more would have been on offer had they stayed. There have long been rumours that the Duchy bought a run down estate in Herefordshire for one of Charles's sons but neither wanted it. To me that would be a project to last a lifetime, but it if wasn't for them..

Lets not equate the Sussexes being asked to vacate (however it was done) with a family who have 6 weeks to find decent place near the kids schools or parents' work or tube station.

It's not even a beloved holiday home. They're being asked to vacate a property that in all honesty they have very little attachment to, probably have spent less than 2 months there in the last two years and will undoubtedly be put up in other family homes when they choose to visit.

The Chief Rabbi is being put up in Clarence house for the coronation because of Shabbat, do we think Charles would do les for his son (especially if in need?)

Last edited:
I personally think Charles would have very likely gone to considerable effort to ensure that Harry and his family would be offered secure and comfortable accommodation should they decide to go over for the coronation. Somewhere that offered the type of protection Harry believes he requires in the UK. That would also, naturally, be somewhere that photographers/film crew would not be allowed, which would ensure a level of privacy valued by the other family members.

Well considering all the hell they got for living in the “modest” Frogmore Cottage, just imagine if they lived anywhere else. Many barely thought Meghan deserved to live in Nottingham Cottage.. So I get the hesitation.

Last edited:
Well considering all the hell they got for living in the “modest” Frogmore Cottage, just imagine if they lived anywhere else. Many barely thought Meghan deserved to live in Nottingham Cottage.. So I get the hesitation.

Im afraid I must have missed all this.

Im afraid I must have missed all this.

You missed the fuss about how much FC was ‘costing the taxpayer’, that was the tune the tabloids played for months, though they knew it was paid for by Sovereign Grant moneys? You missed the lies the media made up practically every day for months about the interiors, about moving yoga floors, a yoga studio and luxurious baths etc as if the Cottage was a new Versailles?

Last edited:
must have done. I didn't know that Harry was so bothered that he would pick a smaller less fancy house because he was getting flak from the papers

So Meghan wouldn’t be attacked for daring to live in a home? Of course he would. Not that she wasn’t anyways.

So the reason they had the cottage was because THEY picked Frogmore as it was smaller and they were reluctant to attract negative publicity for picking a larger home.

Harry and Meghan certainly knew that the tabloids would have been merciless over all the renovations needed to the apartment next door to the Cambridges at KP, which was then lived in by the Gloucesters and supposedly to be offered to them in due course. That apartment needed over three million pounds in renovations. The tabloids would have had a field day.

They had already stated that half a million pounds had been paid at FC for soundproofing, that a tennis court was going to be laid down, a complete new wing was going to be built, that a 5 thousand pounds copper bath had been installed. All complete lies, along with one tabloid saying that the Sussexes were preventing a staff car park from operating near their gardens. Another untruth. God knows what would have happened if they had chosen the KP apartment.

Last edited:
From accounts I have read, AND Harry's own words, The Sussex's "had been offered several properties, but each were to lavish or grand", so there you have it, The Sussex's were given top of the line accommodation, but they chose something smaller, Frogmore Cottage.

Speaking of which, it was totally gutted and refitted. Totally.
The 4 or 5 apartments inside were eliminated to reconfigure it back to single family home. Outfitted with EVERYTHING NEW. That the Sussex's picked out. They even had new top grade insulation installed to diminish noise as they were under the flight path to Heathrow.

Lets not pretend that this was some run down property with substandard ancient plumbing, creaky repurposed appliances and furnishings. Not pokey little rooms from the turn of the century. Everything blasted open, reconfigured, and top shelf ......eco friendly too.

In retrospect it makes perfect sense. From what most of us surmise, The Sussex's knew from soon after the Wedding that they wanted The UK to be a part time residence, with the HI-H0 Plan being formulated. It was never going to be a forever fulltime home and they knew it. Frogmore Cottage suited their needs perfectly, not to ostentatious, to fit the "progressive modern" image they *hoped* they were going to project to The World.

The "optics" of a non palatial Frogmore Cottage as opposed to a grand "apartment" in Kensington Palace or an Estate like Edward's Bagshot Park was very smart on the Sussex's part for their PR strategy, with both The Queen in mind and the Public, but it all went awry.

Thanks to the posters who showed the pictures of Frogmore Cottage. Especially the aerial ones and the one from the back. That show how sprawling the house and property is. Had The Sussex's stayed there I imagine that lovely gardens and possibly a gorgeous pool area would have been added and the ground around the house done up gorgeous.

We have to keep in mind that the Sussex's moved into Frogmore in April 2019. They LEFT for Canada in Nov 2019, Never to return to live as Residents.

A mere 7 months.

The timeline always amazes me of their unbelievably short tenure. But wow, they sure stockpiled a ton of supposed grievances and slights in that short time.

Last edited:
So Meghan wouldn’t be attacked for daring to live in a home? Of course he would. Not that she wasn’t anyways.

What attacks? You mean she got criticised in the Press?

I've always said that Meghan had appalling press coverage from some outlets but I don't know if it could have been any worse if they'd had a grander home. Other senior royals were pilloried by some papers for what was spent on their properties. There's a saying that you "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" and whatever they'd settled on was going to be criticised so they could have chosen a grander place and ridden the storm as others had done before them.

We don't know why they didn't want something grander at the time but perhaps they preferred to have something smaller that they could manage without live-in staff?

Frogmore is a four bedroom house with a nursery. It’s not a sprawling mansion.

The other properties like the KP apartment were considered ‘too lavish and grand’ because they knew what the British tabloids were capable of. I’ve already pointed to several of their complete lies about FC, and that was on top of constant criticisms of Meghan’s clothing, nail polish, speeches, hugging of people etc etc etc.

Harry and Meghan certainly knew that the tabloids would have been merciless over all the renovations needed to the apartment next door to the Cambridges at KP, which was then lived in by the Gloucesters and supposedly to be offered to them in due course. That apartment needed over three million pounds in renovations. The tabloids would have had a field day.

They had already stated that half a million pounds had been paid at FC for soundproofing, that a tennis court was going to be laid down, a complete new wing was going to be built, that a 5 thousand pounds copper bath had been installed. All complete lies, along with one tabloid saying that the Sussexes were preventing a staff car park from operating near their gardens. Another untruth. God knows what would have happened if they had chosen the KP apartment.

The same thing would have happened whatever they chose: downright lies, rumours, half-truths, fantasy... Harry would have known that, because it had already happened recently to others in his family. He would have been well aware that no matter which property they chose, some of the press would be ridiculous in their critical stories.

The other properties like the KP apartment were considered ‘too lavish and grand’ because they knew what the British tabloids were capable of. I’ve already pointed to several of their complete lies about FC, and that was on top of constant criticisms of Meghan’s clothing, nail polish, speeches, hugging of people etc etc etc.

Some of the media were relentless with silly and probably hurtful stories that is quite true, and if that is why THEY picked Frogmore well fair enough rather than been given it with no other choice.

Those four bedrooms one nursery were huge as they made 5000 sqf.

Curryong, I guess we will have to disagree. I LIVE in a four bedroom home, it is NOTHING like the pictures posted here and on line of Frogmore Cottage.
Please review the terrific "aerial" picture that Ghost posted yesterday # 947.

It clearly shows that Frogmore Cottage IS a mansion.

Not that it matters anyway, it is a moot point. Frogmore Cottage has been taken from them.

Last edited:
Oh I think this move will be the best for all parties in the long term. ?;)

I’m sure we will hear all about in the next edition of Spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the reason they had the cottage was because THEY picked Frogmore as it was smaller and they were reluctant to attract negative publicity for picking a larger home.
I don’t see that Harry says that in his book about not taking grander properties because of the press. He indicates that they were very happy about the offer of Frogmore Cottage. And think about it. Since it was a “shell” they could gut it to remodel and pick whatever they wanted - likely a more modern style than they could have at some of the other properties. And like someone said (Marlene?) they were convinced at the time that their HIHO proposal would fly.

I've always said that Meghan had appalling press coverage from some outlets but I don't know if it could have been any worse if they'd had a grander home. Other senior royals were pilloried by some papers for what was spent on their properties. There's a saying that you "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" and whatever they'd settled on was going to be criticised so they could have chosen a grander place and ridden the storm as others had done before them.

We don't know why they didn't want something grander at the time but perhaps they preferred to have something smaller that they could manage without live-in staff?

I recall many sensational tabloid articles over the years regarding royal properties. There would be outrageous headlines but buried in the article would be the information about the required work that other long vacant royal properties required to bring them up to then current building and safety codes. It's simply all part of the the tabloids way to make money for their advertisers. So the Sussexes were bound to be the focus of these articles like so many other members of the BRF have been over the recent decades.

Harry and Meghan spoke themselves about the KP apartment being very expensive to renovate as the reason they moved to FC. The sum of over 3 million pounds was mentioned.

And they were dragged over the coals by the British tabloids about everything to do with FC, from the supposed furnishings to the expense of the renovations and media lies about extravagant interiors. They knew they would get it even worse if they got a huge apartment at KP.

I found this photo of the back of the cottage, it gives a better idea of the size of the house and its surroundings.

This post is a great find Ghost! :flowers: Thank you for sharing it with us. From viewing the few photos of the building, I clearly had no idea of how large Frogmore Cottage is as a home. The Sussexes did have a spacious and lovely home.

I don’t see that Harry says that in his book about not taking grander properties because of the press. He indicates that they were very happy about the offer of Frogmore Cottage. And think about it. Since it was a “shell” they could gut it to remodel and pick whatever they wanted - likely a more modern style than they could have at some of the other properties. And like someone said (Marlene?) they were convinced at the time that their HIHO proposal would fly.

No I have not read the book, I was responding to another poster who suggested that other properties were considered too lavish due to the British Tabloids.

My own opinion had always been that this would be a stepping stone house and in time they would receive the large country estate etc but reading an earlier post by I think GRANADA who suggested that as we now know the couple already had plans with regards HIHO so this house was all they required, as they would not want the responsibility of an estate if they were going to live abroad.
Another poster reminded us of the house and estate purchased by Charles quite some time ago that he had earmarked for one of his sons but that did not come to fruition either.

Harry and Meghan spoke themselves about the KP apartment being very expensive to renovate as the reason they moved to FC. The sum of over 3 million pounds was mentioned.

And they were dragged over the coals by the British tabloids about everything to do with FC, from the supposed furnishings to the expense of the renovations and media lies about extravagant interiors. They knew they would get it even worse if they got a huge apartment at KP.

I recall that it was long speculated that the Sussexes would be offered Apartment 1 when the Gloucesters departed. Had they chosen to accept that as a residence, I do believe the estimated costs were focused upon the exterior work alone. Work that ultimately did end up being carried out to protect the structure. As I recall, Apartment 1 required a new roof among other necessary work. Centuries old buildings do require a great deal of upkeep even if no one resides there.

Here's an article from 2018 that shows the scaffolding and tarps covering the exterior for the work being done on Apartment 1. At the time, the speculation was that the Sussexes were going to move in as the Gloucesters were planning to move on. Since Apt 1 had been occupied for many years, it wasn't going require as much interior work as neighboring Apt. 1A had required.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/harry-meghan-set-become-neighbours-12499373

Last edited:
From Wiki

‘In 2020, Frogmore Cottage was described as a 5,089 sq ft (472.8 m2), four bedroom and nursery, four bathroom single-residence Grade-II listed house.[5] Before renovation, it had 10 bedrooms.’ End quote.

Never heard of a four bedroom house being described as a sprawling mansion.

As for the somewhat mythical Herefordshire estate, not too many details on it, but neither Prince wanted it. They were both single at the time, it was miles away from London, their friends, any polo club (they were both playing then) and neither had any fancy to be a squire on some run-down estate in a county where they had no links.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom