The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a bad look at all. If it reduces Andrew's living expenses, it's a very good look. No-one is being "put out". Harry and his family do not live at Frogmore Cottage: they live in a mansion on the other side of the world. As for his young children, Lilibet has never lived at Frogmore Cottage, and Archie only lived there when he was too young to have any memories of it. They're hardly being thrown out on to the street.

Indeed they're not. They're multi millionaires who can afford accommodation in the London area that most people could only dream about.

I mean that literally what eviction is. ?

As for the coronation. My guess is that Harry will attend alone. He will only go to the one main event at WA and spend the rest of the time packing up Frogmore Cottage since they have to be out by the end of May.

And then that will be it.

He/they can return to Britain at any time for a visit. The King is hardly likely not to want to see his son & grandchildren. They can talk about the weather! We have a lot of it over here.:lol:

The son and grandkids he just told to vacate? Well we shall see. :whistling::lol:

I mean that literally what eviction is. ?

As for the coronation. My guess is that Harry will attend alone. He will only go to the one main event at WA and spend the rest of the time packing up Frogmore Cottage since they have to be out by the end of May.

And then that will be it.

And may I ask, with all due respect, where the “end of May “ date comes from?
A tabloid? An unnamed source? Social media?

The only ‘official’ notice I’m aware of is the Sussex statement:
“We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage.”

The son and grandkids he just told to vacate? Well we shall see. :whistling::lol:

Indeed we shall. Lots of family places for them to stay if they choose to visit.

From what i can tell by a quick google on legal sites, it seems that a 'request to vacate' is not the same as an 'eviction', and a 'notice to vacate' is not the same as 'notice of motion' (the latter is actually taking you to court to have you evicted).
Maybe someone with more legal knowhow can weigh in,
but i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the way the Sussex camp phrases this, leads people to think it is more dramatic than it actually was originally, and when at some point they are asked 'but you said the king evicted you', they can truthfully say "we didn't say that, the media twisted our words"
won't be the first time they did that

And may I ask, with all due respect, where the “end of May “ date comes from?
A tabloid? An unnamed source? Social media?

The only ‘official’ notice I’m aware of is the Sussex statement:
“We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage.”

All the reports have indicated their move out date is after the coronation. Whoever leaked this also leaked that. And per tenant laws in the UK, you have 6 months to vacate once notice has been given. If they were given notice in January as rumored, then that means they have to be gone by late May/early June.

What a fuss over seemingly not much. Yes they have been asked to leave Frogmore Cottage. Given we heard in multiple sources that Charles "wouldn't leave Andrew homeless or penniless" I can't see why he wouldn't allow that to happen to Andrew but would to his son. Personally I think Charles and the RF will be offering a new place for them to stay just smaller and more suited to a family who will only visit once or twice a year from now on. Andrew moving in may be speculated as a logical next move but so far nothing along those lines has been confirmed. It is pretty logical to me as - Frogmore being more recently renovated and smaller in size and land it would for sure save money - all we know for sure if H&M have been asked to leave.

I am really glad that her patronage has helped this small business with a woman owner

Yes I agree. With a bit of luck this is the sort of thing they will both focus on going forward & no more of the negative stuff. Fingers crossed.

Personally I think Charles and the RF will be offering a new place for them to stay just smaller and more suited to a family who will only visit once or twice a year from now on.

I just think that there is no need for Charles to provide Harry with a home in the UK. If Harry wants to visit for a few days or weeks, I am sure he, along with his family, can be accommodated in one of the royal palaces. They do not need for Charles to provide them their own home which will hardly be occupied.

It is pretty logical to me as - Frogmore being more recently renovated and smaller in size and land it would for sure save money - all we know for sure if H&M have been asked to leave.

The other issue that seems to have been overlooked is that of security costs. FC is within the security perimeter around Windsor Castle, Royal Lodge is not. As Andrew's security is probably unlikely to be funded by the state anymore, having him live within the security perimeter will substantially reduce the costs of his security. He will only need to be provided security when he is outside the secure perimeter, and his home will not need additional securirty as it currently probably does.

Mbruno,I respectively disagree that The Sussex's would be invited to spend time at Balmoral in Summer or Christmas at Sandringham.

The purported move to basically evict them from Frogmore Cottage was according to Omid Scoobie a giant surprise and "stunning blow" to The Sussex's. They now have no home in the UK, come Summer.
Gone. Taken from them. I doubt Meghan cares, but I bet it "stings" Harry on some level. It has to hurt. And allegedly they didn't see it coming at all.

I guess or hope he realizes what its like to be powerless against other Family member actions. As his Family was, by his and Meghans insults and allegations about them for the last three years now.

This move tells me that Charles and William are about as close to being completely DONE with The Sussex's as possible. No more olive branches will be offered.

Too many personal private moments, if even true, were put for cheap, tawdry public consumption to hurt-damage The Royal Family and enrich and empower The Sussex's profile.

Why would they want The Sussex's at treasured Balmoral anyway, after all they have done. Why reward them ? I wonder how many of The Family would go to Sandringham at Christmas IF the Sussex's were there ? Can you say boycott ? LOL ?

So know it appears binding ties, a house, will be lost to the Sussex's. I applaud Charles for doing this. Checkmate.
I would agree. Checkmate indeed. Like another poster said, we’ll hear about it in Spare: The Sequel. But in my head now it will always be “Waaah” due to South Park :lol:

According to a source quoted by Omid Scobie they haven't emptied the house - "This is not just some random rental they keep for convenience. Every drawer is full, every closet is packed… It’s a real family home.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/inside-st...VpzpV0Rhn697te8dwJNBOBohHZ-D4sGMC3VR6vO3cYMbN

It is interesting that a "source" would say that when Meghan spoke with The Cut and said

There’s nothing that affirms a “right place” contentedness more than a trip back to the place you felt you had to leave. In June, the couple attended some of the events for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in London. It was their first time appearing at a public event alongside the rest of the royal family since they’d left. While there, Meghan had quietly seen to more personal matters, slipping back into their former residence, Frogmore Cottage, to pack up their belongings.

I wonder what (if any) implications Harry losing his UK residence would have on his status as a counselor of state. I don't think it would as the law currently stands, but would this move help Charles make the case that the law needs to change, as Harry will no longer have a residence in the UK? (It's certainly easy enough for him to get one, but still...)

Oh my God! Harry is out on the streets. With the millions of dollars they've made selling his family, I hope they can find at least 1 room to stay. Otherwise it would be heartbreaking����

I mean I already agreed if they ever returned it will likely be at a hotel or with friends. Pretty clear it won't be anywhere near the Windsors. They will be fine.

"Where else are you going to ride the horse?" may end up as one of Harry's great lines. He's right! :ohmy:

"You have a lab? That explains so much" would be funny except for what we already know about him. :ermm:

(One of those England rugby players was Mike Tindall, wasn't it?)

I have to disagree on the "comfortable" part. "Call me whatever you want, I'm not leaving until we're finished" and a few other things Harry says give off the impression that he's deeply uncomfortable. He likes talking to people and hanging around people, I'm sure, but this is probably too much 'uncontrolled media + being on display' for his taste. And for what it's worth, Harry has meh taste in action movies and I think Stephen's very sound Marcus Aurelius quote/advice just flew over his head (sadly).

I can't believe he said he had dinner plans with Evie! Evie Colbert is probably more popular than Stephen... and now I'm wondering if she isn't quite literally one of us here. ;)
I hope Evie is here - she is wonderful:flowers:

I mean I already agreed if they ever returned it will likely be at a hotel or with friends. Pretty clear it won't be anywhere near the Windsors. They will be fine.

They have to leave the house where they stay only 10 days a year. This is very painful for them. Though i’m sure it's not as painful as criticizing the institute that allows them to live their current millionaire life and still wanting to enjoy every benefit. I hope they get the support they need to get through these difficult times.

Quite frankly, I believe this is exactly the right move and I applaud the King for finally taking a stand in all this. As for "evicting them" I very much doubt that's the case because evicting them would open the doors for lawyers, contract language, etc. Simply choosing, as their landlord, not to renew or extend their lease is his prerogative and his right. I suspect that they'll likely receive some funds as "repayment" for what they paid toward the refurbishment but I suspect that, in reality, this is more likely to be seen as severance money. And that's fine. If that's what it takes to end this saga once and for all then so be it. I honestly don't know if Frogmore Cottage has been offered to Andrew or if that's simply speculation building on the ongoing conversation about the costs of Royal Lodge, though it would make sense to offer it to him.
Interesting. What if they were offered severance/repayment in exchange for NDA’s? And if they didn’t comply and kept up with their Worldwide Privacy Tour, the money would stop.

They have to leave the house where they stay only 10 days a year. This is very painful for them. Though i’m sure it's not as painful as criticizing the institute that allows them to live their current millionaire life and still wanting to enjoy every benefit. I hope they get the support they need to get through these difficult times.

Oh I think this move will be the best for all parties in the long term. ?;)

I'm slightly inclined to agree with you but I also wonder if this would have happened without the Oprah interview and the shots fired in Spare. I'm not sure there's a great deal of cost to be saved by asking the Sussexes to vacate, as they're probably entitled to some compensation for what they spent on it but I don't know enough about the financial details to be sure.

In the court of public opinion, this could feel like retribution but given the low popularity of the Sussexes in UK polls, I don't think that will do Charles any harm and could even gain him more support.
I would agree- my sense is that citizens in the UK will be pleased.

Just to play devil’s advocate, what if what we’re being told has it backwards?
What if H&M wanted to give up the residence and chose not to renew the lease?
If reports about their ‘money stream’ drying up are true, it would make sense for them to do so. There may have been cash incentive payments to them as well.
An official notice to vacate said property may just be standard legalese.
And I think it very possible the Sussexes could choose to twist these facts to make it appear they are being kicked out of a beloved home.

Yes I agree we do not know the whole story. H&M might not have renewed the lease. It seems H&M would have cried abuse if they were kicked out. The Andrew part has not been confirmed. I think Moonmaiden suggest the Wales move into RL which I agree with. They have a family of five and the money to pay for because he is the Duke of Cornwall now and can afford it. I feel they need better security. That or they move into Windsor Castle.

If the Sussexes have the type of lease that is renewable annually or biennially, then I agree that the landlord has the right to not renew their lease. It seems strange to me that the Sussexes would themselves reimburse the Sovereign Grant £2.4 million to cover the costs associated with renovating Frogmore Cottage, but then put themselves in a position where they lose the home based on whims of the leaseholder. The only way that I can make sense of it is if some form of reimbursement scheme was built in and the Sussexes will get back what they paid in, adjusted accordingly.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Sussexes never considered the possibility of the lease not being renewed- if that is the case. Thinking ahead doesn’t seem to be their thing.

I think they want some sort of normal home for the children. OK, Royal Lodge is hardly a suburban semi, but it isn't a medieval castle. If Andrew moves into Frogmore Cottage and the Waleses move into Royal Lodge, I think that will make sense and the public will see that. The Sussexes do not need a home in the UK for the few days a year that they might be there.

This is the Sussex thread. Let's stick to discussion about them. Posts that drag in other members of the family, unless it directly pertains to the topic under discussion here, will be removed.

But were the Sussexes so attached to Frogmore in the first place? Other than its sentimental value as their first marital home?

That’s a good question. This is how Harry described Frogmore in his book, “once upon a time, this was going to be my forever home. Instead it had proved to be just another brief stop.” So it seems Harry has long reckoned with the fact that Frogmore was no longer his home.

The uproar over a lease not being renewed is a little perplexing. The Sussexes aren’t being left homeless. They have a beautiful home in California. They packed up Frogmore and have long since moved on. Harry has even stated that his life is now in the US, so it’s not like they were planning on living in the UK anytime soon. In the last 3 years, they have only stayed at Frogmore a few times. The place basically sits empty, so it makes no sense to continue leasing a place they barely use. Especially since there is no shortage of secure properties they can stay at when they make the occasional visit to the UK. And if they don’t feel comfortable staying with family, or at any of the crown estate properties, they can stay at a luxury hotel.

The first link is Frogmore Cottage, where the Sussexes lived. The second link is Frogmore House. They are two different buildings.

Last edited:
The first link is Frogmore Cottage, where the Sussexes lived. The second link is Frogmore House. They are two different buildings.

:flowers: Thanks and Wow! All this time I thought the white manor was the house they were referring to. I have to say I'm with Meghan on this one. That cottage is just too small for the egos, or for a family of four compared with the palatial Montecito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom