The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said that I dont think that Charles will be all that happy to see Harry and certianly not Meghan. But he will keep on trying to keep up some kind of relationship. He may well feel that its time Harry gave up FC as he is not using it, and has rented it out to other royals.. but now its standing empty. It woudl be better if someone is liviing in it, even though its not that easy to rent out places on a royal estate. But they may find a tenant for it or ANdrew might choose to use it instead of his bigger place

It woudl be better if someone is liviing in it, even though its not that easy to rent out places on a royal estate.

Do we know how easy or difficult it is to rent them out? I know the Canadians who owned Selfridges have had the lease on Fort Belvedere for decades (including some smaller houses at Windsor). I suspect there are plenty of people wealthy enough to lease Crown Estate properties.

Can the newly-posted piece of the Harry/Colbert interview go here?

Its not a matter of wealth, really so much as security. Obviously there are people who are rich enough to pay for renting a royal house, and well connected enough to be trusted in such an area.

? Charles is the King. If he wants Andrew to leave RL or wants Harry to give up his house, then Im sure he can sort out the details.

[…]It's valid to think it's a bit weird to take FC away from them after they've duly paid for all the refurbishments themselves and that it'd be completely unbeseeming on Charles' part if they're not then reimbursed for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[…]Im sure that Charles and Harry will work something out, if he does give up the house, just as Im sure that Charles will reach an agreement with Andrew if HE gives up his lease.

This move tells me that Charles and William are about as close to being completely DONE with The Sussex's as possible. No more olive branches will be offered.

Too many personal private moments, if even true, were put for cheap, tawdry public consumption to hurt-damage The Royal Family and enrich and empower The Sussex's profile.

Why would they want The Sussex's at treasured Balmoral anyway, after all they have done. Why reward them ? I wonder how many of The Family would go to Sandringham at Christmas IF the Sussex's were there ? Can you say boycott ? LOL ?

So know it appears binding ties, a house, will be lost to the Sussex's. I applaud Charles for doing this. Checkmate.

Excellent commentary and I agree - checkmate. And I thought Charles had no backbone, glad I was proved wrong.

[…]It's valid to think it's a bit weird to take FC away from them after they've duly paid for all the refurbishments themselves and that it'd be completely unbeseeming on Charles' part if they're not then reimbursed for that.
By that logic, Harry should pay back Charles for the money “he didn’t send” during July/June of Megxit when their security expenses and other expenses were covered by Charles when they were away. It’s not weird because they hardly lived in Frogmore and aren’t coming back to stay for long. They had to pay for the refurbishments because of their bad PR. After all their mess for three years, them being paid for the refurbishments is out of the question.

Quite frankly, I believe this is exactly the right move and I applaud the King for finally taking a stand in all this. As for "evicting them" I very much doubt that's the case because evicting them would open the doors for lawyers, contract language, etc. Simply choosing, as their landlord, not to renew or extend their lease is his prerogative and his right. I suspect that they'll likely receive some funds as "repayment" for what they paid toward the refurbishment but I suspect that, in reality, this is more likely to be seen as severance money. And that's fine. If that's what it takes to end this saga once and for all then so be it. I honestly don't know if Frogmore Cottage has been offered to Andrew or if that's simply speculation building on the ongoing conversation about the costs of Royal Lodge, though it would make sense to offer it to him.

Can the newly-posted piece of the Harry/Colbert interview go here?

Yes, a new interview can be posted here. Just please link either directly to the interview or to a reputable source rather than say, an opinion piece about the interview from a tabloid.

Gone. Taken from them. I doubt Meghan cares, but I bet it "stings" Harry on some level. It has to hurt. And allegedly they didn't see it coming at all.
This is one of my biggest issues with them, their failure (or refusal) to game out the consequences of their actions. If you're living in a grace and favour home, it should occur to you that if you show a lack of grace towards your family and fall out of favour with them, perhaps you might be asked to vacate that home. The leak to Scobie was surely intended to drum up sympathy, but for me it just reiterates how short sided and self-centered they are.

Harry and Meghan have made it very clear what they think of the monarchy, so why should they expect to keep their grace and favor residence that the monarchy provides?

This is another case of wanting to have their cake and eat it too, which is pretty much a running theme with the Sussexes.

They don't need it. Why would they need a house like that, and it's a fine beautiful home I've seen it. They have spent what at most 20 nights there this year? And most of those were because of the Queens death. This year they may spend 0 days there. They can accommodate Harry and family in other places when they stay. Or he can rent his own or buy his own. I am sire however he has been offered a smaller place to stay when he visits...or an apartment to stay in.

He doesn't need a home I'm the UK. They never visit.

Yes, a new interview can be posted here. Just please link either directly to the interview or to a reputable source rather than say, an opinion piece about the interview from a tabloid.

"Prince Harry Takes The Colbert Questionert":

"Prince Harry Takes The Colbert Questionert":

The "horse riding vs horseback riding" made me LOL :lol:

and we have a few more willies mentioned ?

He talks very easy, evidently used to chatting to people, i can see him making more tours on the talkshowcircuit in the future

Once you're over seeing Harry as royal and he doesn't feel the need to complain about others, he is really entertaining.

The "horse riding vs horseback riding" made me LOL :lol:

and we have a few more willies mentioned ?

He talks very easy, evidently used to chatting to people, i can see him making more tours on the talkshowcircuit in the future

Once you're over seeing Harry as royal and he doesn't feel the need to complain about others, he is really entertaining.

"Where else are you going to ride the horse?" may end up as one of Harry's great lines. He's right! :ohmy:

"You have a lab? That explains so much" would be funny except for what we already know about him. :ermm:

(One of those England rugby players was Mike Tindall, wasn't it?)

I have to disagree on the "comfortable" part. "Call me whatever you want, I'm not leaving until we're finished" and a few other things Harry says give off the impression that he's deeply uncomfortable. He likes talking to people and hanging around people, I'm sure, but this is probably too much 'uncontrolled media + being on display' for his taste. And for what it's worth, Harry has meh taste in action movies and I think Stephen's very sound Marcus Aurelius quote/advice just flew over his head (sadly).

I can't believe he said he had dinner plans with Evie! Evie Colbert is probably more popular than Stephen... and now I'm wondering if she isn't quite literally one of us here. ;)

Last edited:
Quite frankly, I believe this is exactly the right move and I applaud the King for finally taking a stand in all this. As for "evicting them" I very much doubt that's the case because evicting them would open the doors for lawyers, contract language, etc. Simply choosing, as their landlord, not to renew or extend their lease is his prerogative and his right. I suspect that they'll likely receive some funds as "repayment" for what they paid toward the refurbishment but I suspect that, in reality, this is more likely to be seen as severance money. And that's fine. If that's what it takes to end this saga once and for all then so be it. I honestly don't know if Frogmore Cottage has been offered to Andrew or if that's simply speculation building on the ongoing conversation about the costs of Royal Lodge, though it would make sense to offer it to him.

I think you’re right. They weren’t evicted, as much as Charles decided not to renew/extend the lease. If so- good for him. Whatever financials need to be worked, will be.

I’m not sure why they’d care that much. It’s not like they really spend any time in the UK anyway. I suppose it was a nice perk to be able to say they still had, but that’s about it.

Personally I feel that this is more a cost saving and move the estates to a different working model than anything to hurt or deprive Harry. Charles needs to be seen to be tightening his belt and making real commitment towards his environmental pledges. I expect that a lot of the Windsor Grand park will be restored to natural state and opened to the public - but then again maybe there are plans for it to be make a larger profit anyway. Either way I think it is business not personal. And I believe that Harry will be compensated or private with something in London.
I dont believe that Andrew will be moving in. If anyone - it might be William or Edward. now that is OT.

The cameraman/men that was recently exposed in a video as the one documenting every move from the Duchess since before the marriage. Some people write diaries about the daily life, she does a whole production with a photographer. Don't know if he/or them? were credited in her book but the funny expose asks the question on who is holding the camera of if they have a magical tripod that floats around them.

I assume, in reference to this coronation, their daily diary photographer will be present at all times unless security stops him from entering the family areas.

Ha ... so funny ... they want privacy, and not to have every move under a microscope, then have a photographer recording every move ... you know what I want to see, I want to see them grow up.

A spokesperson for the Sussexes has confirmed the story.

Statement from an Archewell spokeswoman tonight: “We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage.”

Source

I think the decision makes sense. The Sussexes live in California now and only occasionally come to the UK, so there really is no need for them to extend the lease on Frogmore.

It now appears that an Archewell spokesperson has issued the following statement "We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage."

They're never going to live there again, and I'm sure they can find somewhere to stay for occasional visits, so it makes sense for them to vacate it. So it seems likely to be true that Andrew's moving there.

Personally I feel that this is more a cost saving and move the estates to a different working model than anything to hurt or deprive Harry. Charles needs to be seen to be tightening his belt and making real commitment towards his environmental pledges. I expect that a lot of the Windsor Grand park will be restored to natural state and opened to the public - but then again maybe there are plans for it to be make a larger profit anyway. Either way I think it is business not personal. And I believe that Harry will be compensated or private with something in London.
I dont believe that Andrew will be moving in. If anyone - it might be William or Edward. now that is OT.

Large parts of Windsor great park are open? The parts that aren't had a large part to do with this living there.

Edward has his own, terribly nice, home. William.wont go to Frogmore...they have their own home. They may go to Royal Lodge if Andrew goes to Frogmore.

While we don't have any idea what's been going on behind the scenes, on the face of it this makes a lot of sense. The Sussexes have made quite clear that they are committed to building a life for themselves in California, so having a substantial house sitting empty for the majority of the year in the UK seems wasteful. I can also see why being asked to vacate the house, even if they were barely using it, might sting.

By that logic, Harry should pay back Charles for the money “he didn’t send” during July/June of Megxit when their security expenses and other expenses were covered by Charles when they were away. It’s not weird because they hardly lived in Frogmore and aren’t coming back to stay for long. They had to pay for the refurbishments because of their bad PR. After all their mess for three years, them being paid for the refurbishments is out of the question.

Eh no, that's not really the same logic in my opinion ;)

Frog Cot was always scheduled to be renovated and it could easily be defended (also by the BRF, but as per usual they stayed mum) that the Sovereign Grant should've covered the costs. Instead, the Sussexes duly succumbed to the public fuss and repaid the money spent – presumably because they'd been given the impression that the estate was theirs to lease for the unforeseeable future.

You think it's ok for Charles to screw them over just because you disagree with their actions? Doesn't that just make Charles as bad as them?

Personally I feel that this is more a cost saving and move the estates to a different working model than anything to hurt or deprive Harry.

I'm slightly inclined to agree with you but I also wonder if this would have happened without the Oprah interview and the shots fired in Spare. I'm not sure there's a great deal of cost to be saved by asking the Sussexes to vacate, as they're probably entitled to some compensation for what they spent on it but I don't know enough about the financial details to be sure.

In the court of public opinion, this could feel like retribution but given the low popularity of the Sussexes in UK polls, I don't think that will do Charles any harm and could even gain him more support.

[…]Eh no, that's not really the same logic in my opinion ;)

Frog Cot was always scheduled to be renovated and it could easily be defended (also by the BRF, but as per usual they stayed mum) that the Sovereign Grant should've covered the costs. Instead, the Sussexes duly succumbed to the public fuss and repaid the money spent – presumably because they'd been given the impression that the estate was theirs to lease for the unforeseeable future.

You think it's ok for Charles to screw them over just because you disagree with their actions? Doesn't that just make Charles as bad as them?

As we are not aware of the full details we cannot be sure what private agreement may or may not be in place.

IMO the issue with the cost of refurbishment was that they moved away, all that money had been spent , and they didn't want to stay there.

I think I am correct in saying it was refurbished to their wishes, it could have lay there for some time in the original state without incurring any costs.

It's not known where the money Harry and Meghan used to repay the Sovereign Grant came from, is it?

Couldn't some of it have been from his Duchy of Cornwall payments from Charles in the first place?

It's not known where the money Harry and Meghan used to repay the Sovereign Grant came from, is it?

Couldn't some of it have been from his Duchy of Cornwall payments from Charles in the first place?

Harry claimed his father cut him off financially, but the Duchy accounts did show another payment after he had moved abroad. Things didn't quite tally. I cannot recall the amount.

I'm slightly inclined to agree with you but I also wonder if this would have happened without the Oprah interview and the shots fired in Spare. I'm not sure there's a great deal of cost to be saved by asking the Sussexes to vacate, as they're probably entitled to some compensation for what they spent on it but I don't know enough about the financial details to be sure.

In the court of public opinion, this could feel like retribution but given the low popularity of the Sussexes in UK polls, I don't think that will do Charles any harm and could even gain him more support.

There is obviously movement ahead, with some musical houses in Windsor. Having it until Augist indicates to me that the school holidays uav3 something to do with it. Moving Kate and William to Royal Lodge and Andrew to Frogmore looks reasonable. William is the heir. I feel this will be in line with the permanent closing of their apartment at Kensington for anything but offices. There seems to be an obvious move to move away from living in the major Palaces and Castles. Persumably to enable them to be opened permanently.

I think Harry and Megjan personally matter not a jot in this. It is a business decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom