The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who was around for the Diana-Fergie years of unrelenting media and press intrusion, I think they, especially Fergie, received unbelievable attention and in Fergie's case, soul shattering criticism, ala The Duchess of Pork.
Princess Margaret got bad press too, laughed at and mocked over her younger lover "toy boy, Roddy".

Unfortunately, Sarah thru her foolish actions, played into their hands, something The Sussex's are guilty of too. Like being tone deaf on the South African Tour and complaining that no one asks how Meghan is "feeling" while visiting in an area of abject poverty no less. That's when the "coverage" turned and whispers of Megan's high handedness and demanding bossy demeanor issues with Staff started to be heard.

I also think that Meghan tries to hard to make sure WHATEVER narrative or Story she wants to project always seems to depict her as being "better" than others. Like how She left Deal or No Deal, basically because it in her eyes "objectified" Women, and got big blow back from many. From Whoopie Goldberg to her former co-workers, who resented that insinuation.
Or being a "game-changer". That is a very important part of her personality. From the never ending retelling of the dishwasher soapsuds commercial to the cringe inducing moment in the docu-series where upon visiting her old School Principal She reminded her that She was always going to be famous ..... Really ?

Or her "victim" status, that She bring up too frequently also. Poor Me. A constant refrain.
For example, In the Podcast She mentioned the supposed "fire-smoking heater" situation that sounded exaggerated, contrived and drama Queenish. How "they" made her go to the next Engagement in South Africa, when Archie was NEVER in any danger.

But I thought the worst, absolute worst, was in the Docu-series interview letting the World AND her poor niece think that the Palace had banned Ashleigh from coming to The Wedding. The Palace "insiders" have pushed back on that, saying that simply isn't true. Had Meghan wanted her there, she would have been there.
But Meghan didn't want awkward conversations or whispers about nutty sister Samantha, so it was easier to not to have Ashleigh there. I found that part in the docu-series where Ashleigh talks about her hurt at being excluded shameful. So sad.

I feel Meghan used her in the docu-series to promote the "mean-bad Palace" narrative and willingly didn't invite her to the Wedding, on a pretext of lies.

Last edited:
You don't get a full picture here at all. From the very beginning the opinion here about Meghan has been mostly negative. It's one of the reasons I am rarely here. I'll get flack for this, but there's a massive double standard here. People have been complaining for years about the BRF and how it's so damn dysfunctional. And all of a sudden people act like it's the most loving family in the UK. The things Harry and Meghan talked about in their docu have al been said before. None of this is new. People here have said the palaces brief and leak stories about each other and now, all of a sudden, it's new? Diana, Sarah and Philip complained about the "men in grey suits". The gossip press has never been considered reliable on this forum, but from the beginning they have been treated as such if the articles were about Meghan.

You will never hear me say H&M are perfect or that I agree with everything they've done, but if you want a complete picture, this forum has never been it.

I don’t see any of the Sussexes story being put forward here to be sure but that is because they have endlessly had their version of the events put forth. You don’t have to argue it. It’s there. So inevitably it turns into the other sides point of view being raised, or what we think it may be, because they don’t talk.

In really simple terms, Meghan wanted a platform and other stuff, it wasn’t what she thought, the media are their usual debased selves, she wanted out. She made Harry see that all the things he wanted but the royals had been controlling about him for years were possible. They wanted the part time model where they could choose media and have more freedom. It was denied. They have huge bills to pay. Not much of a platform. Limited talent but they want the platform and the money. So all that lovely stuff they dreamed off of controlling which journalists had access to events and things is all a fantasy because no one is interested in a single thing they do really unless 1. It’s Invictus where they have to engage with all media or 2. They are talking about the family. Everything else is turning out small potatoes. So really in the end.

The royal machine is a fiercely pragmatic and ruthless machine. Doesn’t mean they as a family are like that but the public facing role of it has to be like this to survive. It ain’t personal.

The Spare-thread has shown that most are able to discuss the Sussexes without breaking any rules and FAQ. We therefore have decided to update and simplify the guidelines for this thread. Please contact us if things are unclear.

This thread will be re-opened once there is news about the couple that is not related to the book.

Prior to posting, news-links from reliable sources* can be posted freely. Links to support factual information [f.e. to a wikipedia article] can be posted freely.

Articles from semi-reliable sources** will have to be sent to the mod. team prior to posting.

• The mod. team will check these links and assess if they can be posted.
  • The mod. team will post the links themselves, while crediting the poster who sent it.
  • Moderators for this thread will be the British mods: Zonk, JessRulz, soapstar, Ista, HRHHermione and Marengo. It is best to cc all of us.
Opinion articles, opinion columns and videos can not be posted at all.

When in doubt: PM the mods.

The following aspects are considered off-topic:

• Rehashing of events from 2017-2021, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo. Social media is not a source. All new information must be accompanied by a link to a media outlet. An exception is made for the accounts of established royalty reporters.
  • Debates over titles or stripping of titles
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards the subject, other members or the media
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

-
* Reliable sources are established newspapers such as the Times, the Guardian, the Telegraph, the New York Times.
** Semi-reliable sources are tabloids such as the Daily Mail or the Sun.
NB. click on the hyperlink to find more information about sources.

Last edited:
The Duke of Sussex as Patron joined the call for nominations for the 2023 Well Child Awards:

There are developments in Samantha Markle's legal case against the Duchess of Sussex, as reported by The Times:

https://archive.ph/mfwws

Ugh, that could get very messy very quickly, especially if it really does end up at trial and get televised. We're in for "sorry I forgot" a lot I suppose. I do think reading up on it that this whole lawsuit shows that Meghan and Samantha are definitely related. They have both certainly nastily maligned each other in the press, both are incredibly stubborn and willing to go to court even though it might be worse in the long run.

It is interesting that she and some of the other members of Meghan's paternal family are basically trying to do what she and Harry try to do with his family and that when the shoe is on the other foot they really don't like it, for obvious reasons. I doubt they see it that way though.

Ugh, that could get very messy very quickly, especially if it really does end up at trial and get televised 1...

I believe in the USA to have it televised both parties have to be in agreement. The Sussex duo needs to give us all, King CIII too, a break and stay off the news 'till the next Halley's comet comes along.

A televised trial will be a disaster for all parties involved because we will see unpleasant theatrics like their father on the aisle or the stand, then Doria forced to be on the stand too. Just unpleasant to watch.

Ugh, that could get very messy very quickly, especially if it really does end up at trial and get televised. We're in for "sorry I forgot" a lot I suppose. I do think reading up on it that this whole lawsuit shows that Meghan and Samantha are definitely related. They have both certainly nastily maligned each other in the press, both are incredibly stubborn and willing to go to court even though it might be worse in the long run.

It is interesting that she and some of the other members of Meghan's paternal family are basically trying to do what she and Harry try to do with his family and that when the shoe is on the other foot they really don't like it, for obvious reasons. I doubt they see it that way though.

Yes this could be rather ugly :sad: if it ends up in court and I agree that both women share some core personality traits.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Since a Judge has ruled that Depositions can go forward, what are the Sussex's options ? The Judge did state that "some of the claims maybe ripe for dismissal" though. Is it just Settle with a check or prepare for Depositions ?

Kind of funny that the "Suit" happy, litigious Sussex's are on the receiving end for a change.
The drama that always surrounds these Two is exhausting. They seem to thrive on it and rehashing grievances and then settling scores.

I'm actually of the mindset that in the end Megxit was the best thing for The Royal Family. A mere 18 months duration, I can't imagine if they had stayed longer, what more complaints and never ending controversies would have been alleged.

I'm guessing that the "will they or won't they attend" Coronation questions are making *some* in the Family and Staff perhaps long for it to be over too.
Which I find so sad, as it overshadows Charles's and The UK's big day.
Such unnecessary drama.....

I'm not sure why saying that you weren't close to your sister when you were growing up, even if it's untrue, is something that needs to go to court.

I'm not sure why saying that you weren't close to your sister when you were growing up, even if it's untrue, is something that needs to go to court.

I expect many of the claims will be dismissed if not the entire lawsuit. Motions to stay discovery pending a dismissal have a very high bar, and the judge’s ruling on that motion does not necessarily mean the case will eventually move forward.

Unless there are new allegations from TRH The Sussexes' camp, I don't know which of HRH The Duchess of Sussex's claims against Samantha can be deemed defamation:

1. Samantha was going by Grant when she first started talking about HRH The Duchess of Sussex and only started going by Markle afterward
2. Samantha's own mother and children admitted that she didn't raised them, and that they were either raised by their grandmother or father

More than likely this is just another way for Samantha to stay relevant, but the legal cost doesn't seem to be worth it. Sure, many are happy that TRH The Sussexes are "getting a taste of their own medicine," but they also have deeper pockets than Ms. Markle does, so it may end up a battle of attrition on her part.

HenRach Dominion, I have no proof, but I bet others are providing the funding for Samantha's legal battles.

And even if She loses this round, I expect her to continue her battle against The Sussex's. Just as the Sussex's will continue to battle the Royal Family.
I'm not buying a retreat. Both Women absolutely "thrive" on drama. And control and victimhood.

I must say like others here, The Markle Girls are tough as nails. Actually more like claws looking to draw blood.
Hope whatever that trait they definitely have in common, doesn't get passed on either.

Last edited:

The thing is that she didn’t say that she was not close to her sister, she said she’s grown up as an only child.

The thing is that she didn’t say that she was not close to her sister, she said she’s grown up as an only child.

Which she did. Samantha is about 17 years older than Meghan. She left home early in her late teens and married early. Neither of the half siblings were around as Meghan grew up.

Unless there are new allegations from TRH The Sussexes' camp, I don't know which of HRH The Duchess of Sussex's claims against Samantha can be deemed defamation:

1. Samantha was going by Grant when she first started talking about HRH The Duchess of Sussex and only started going by Markle afterward
2. Samantha's own mother and children admitted that she didn't raised them, and that they were either raised by their grandmother or father

More than likely this is just another way for Samantha to stay relevant, but the legal cost doesn't seem to be worth it. Sure, many are happy that TRH The Sussexes are "getting a taste of their own medicine," but they also have deeper pockets than Ms. Markle does, so it may end up a battle of attrition on her part.

I don't know if either of these reach the legal definition of defamation but she is alleging neither of those points are true. There's a picture of she and Meghan together when Samantha got her degree that had "Markle" on it circa 2008. From the Jason Knauf emails there were also claims that Meghan wanted Scobie and Durand to write that Samantha was a 4x4 (4 kids by 4 fathers) which apparently is not true either. Which is pretty nasty for a "feminist". A lot will probably get dismissed but some might not.

Whatever this is about isn't the money since $75,000 isn't even going to cover legal costs when all is said and done.

I'm not particularly happy about this lawsuit as it means a lot more Sussexes on the front pages but I do think it's completely fascinating in a strange way that a) the Markles refuse to be like most other families of royals or famous people and basically take an oath of silence and B) they are doing exactly what the Sussexes are doing to the BRF.

@Toldeo Thank you for clarifying that both parties have to give consent for a trial being televised. None are in the UK so I wasn't aware of the rules. I was thinking of the ****show that was the Heard/Depp trial for public consumption.

I dont quite know what this trial is aobut, but it sounds like a waste of court time

I this is about isn't the money since $75,000 isn't even going to cover legal costs when all is said and done.

I'm not particularly happy about this lawsuit as it means a lot more Sussexes on the front pages but I do think it's completely fascinating in a strange way that a) the Markles refuse to be like most other families of royals or famous people and basically take an oath of silence and B) they are doing exactly what the Sussexes are doing to the BRF.
but the Markles have always doen this. They clealry wanted to use Meghan's marriage to a royal to gain fame and fortune.

I still don't see why it needs to end up in court. It's not as if she's accused Samantha of anything defamatory to her character. It all just smacks of a publicity stunt.

but the Markles have always doen this. They clealry wanted to use Meghan's marriage to a royal to gain fame and fortune.

Well $75,000 is not a fortune and will probably be dwarfed by legal costs in the end unless she does have wealthy backers. She may well want fame/notoriety but then so does Meghan.

I'm not saying that this case is worthy or should go to court or that Samantha has pure intentions, not at all. She probably doesn't and a lot of this is probably a waste of time, just like the Sussexes quibbling over various phrases, snarking at people who like and agree with them because they said "Meghan lied" rather than "Meghan forgot" and the "this article is subject to a legal claim by the Duchess of Sussex" that are still up on The Times that have never gone anywhere.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that both sisters are clearly cut from the same cloth and it's fascinating in a morbid way.

For UK people "Wagatha Christie" clearly didn't need to end up in the High Court of Justice and yet...it did.

Last edited:
[ . . . . ] I'm guessing that the "will they or won't they attend" Coronation questions are making *some* in the Family and Staff perhaps long for it to be over too.
Which I find so sad, as it overshadows Charles's and The UK's big day.
Such unnecessary drama.....
Most polls quoted seem to support the idea that the Brits can walk and chew gum at the same time. Charles coronation is the main event and, unless someone streaks in the Abbey, Charles and Camilla remain the total focus and everything else is irrelevant. Whatever else is said and done, there is nothing that Harry and Megan could do in the Abbey to upset the proverbial applecart. More importantly, Harry is fully aware that this is a very solemn and sacred occasion, and he never would create a scandal in the Abbey, and it is time that people got real and saw that while he is a hurt and angry son and an even more angry brother, he also loves his father, and this has always been his father's destiny.

Basically, families are hard work if for no other reason that the only people who can really hurt you are the people you love.

Most polls quoted seem to support the idea that the Brits can walk and chew gum at the same time. Charles coronation is the main event and, unless someone streaks in the Abbey, Charles and Camilla remain the total focus and everything else is irrelevant. Whatever else is said and done, there is nothing that Harry and Megan could do in the Abbey to upset the proverbial applecart. More importantly, Harry is fully aware that this is a very solemn and sacred occasion, and he never would create a scandal in the Abbey, and it is time that people got real and saw that while he is a hurt and angry son and an even more angry brother, he also loves his father, and this has always been his father's destiny.

Basically, families are hard work if for no other reason that the only people who can really hurt you are the people you love.

Is he aware of the solemnity of the occasion? He didn't seem to know that he had to ask the Queen's permission to marry.

MARG, I guess I will have to respectively disagree that Harry "loves his Father", because from HIS insults and allegations against his Father of the last 3 years in print and in interviews, he certainly has a funny way of showing it.

And as for your thoughts that Harry knows that the Coronation is a "solemn and sacred occasion" and wouldn't do something ..... hope so, but I wouldn't bet on that either. So much of what Harry confirmed in his own words and deeds in the Book is sadly, he isn't bright OR respectful of many cultural cornerstones of British History.

He bizarrely called his Family in the book, a "death cult". Oh and lets not forget that majestic Windsor Castle to Harry is....."a tomb, the walls filled with ancestors". While the imposing Tower of London is "HELD TOGETHER with the blood of animals"..... that one ? I don't know what that even means.

Meghan dismissively referred to The Trooping of The Colour as "colorful" when Kate asked her opinion of centuries old much loved cultural and historical event, celebrating the Monarchs Birthday with Military Parades and then the Flyover witnessed on The Balcony.

The Sussex's being there does certainly overshadow The Coronation. My British Friends tell me that overwhelmingly The Sussex's are not wanted there as they are a divisive distraction. But the Media-Press keeps posting fake polls showing that their is support for them to attend as it will drives up sales and click bait.

And just my thoughts, when you mention that Harry knows The Coronation was always Charles's "Destiny" , I completely agree. But thats PART of the problem laid out between the lines in SPARE. Quite obviously too in the bitterness and jealousy that is persuasive in The Book.

Its also William's DESTINY.........

Last edited:
The Sussex's being there does certainly overshadow The Coronation. My British Friends tell me that overwhelmingly The Sussex's are not wanted there as they are a divisive distraction. But the Media-Press keeps posting fake polls showing that their is support for them to attend as it will drives up sales and click bait.

Have your friends shown you any of these 'fake polls'? I'm asking because the polls I have seen have been done by well known, reliable pollsters and they are fairly consistent in showing about 40% support for the Sussexes attending the coronation and approximately the same against.

Lilyflo, we go on the British Cruise line P&O yearly ( except because of Covid 2020-2021) and last year the Cruise was 9-18 \10 -2.
Monday, 9-19, I spent the day in the Cabin watching the UK coverage of The funeral. It obviously was a big topic. People were eager to engage an American for my perspective on The Sussex's. My husband could care less, but our long time traveling companions knew exactly my thoughts and how my previously favorable opinions had disappeared.

I'm just relating what I witnessed on the Ship, what THEY have said and THEIR views of what friends and family members make of The Sussex's.

The Media and Press are certainly hoping for a Sussex appearance, it will DEFINITELY gin up viewers and readers. Here and in The UK. Of course their fans want them there too, no dispute about that. And they do have fans.

But, many People think they certainly will overshadow The Coronation, ala....Where will they be seated ? How will they arrive ? Will they interact with William and Kate ? Will other members of The Family snub them in public, as Mike Tindall did at The Jubilee ? How many Events will they participate in ? Will Archie and Lily be seen ? Will Harry and Meghan be booed ? Ect, ect, ect......

But seeing that Harry and Meghan depend on their Royal Connections for money and publicity, I bet they will be there. I just wonder how Harry squares that, with saying He can't go unless they apologize to Meghan and provide accountability.

Last edited:
Lilyflo, we go on the British Cruise line P&O yearly ( except because of Covid 2020-2021) and last year the Cruise was 9-18 \10 -2.
Monday, 9-19, I spent the day in the Cabin watching the UK coverage of The funeral. It obviously was a big topic. People were eager to engage an American for my perspective on The Sussex's. My husband could care less, but our long time traveling companions knew exactly my thoughts and how my previously favorable opinions had disappeared.

I'm just relating what I witnessed on the Ship, what THEY have said and THEIR views of what friends and family members make of The Sussex's.

The Media and Press are certainly hoping for a Sussex appearance, it will DEFINITELY gin up viewers and readers. Here and in The UK. Of course their fans want them there too, no dispute about that. And they do have fans.

But, many People think they certainly will overshadow The Coronation, ala....Where will they be seated ? How will they arrive ? Will they interact with William and Kate ? Will other members of The Family snub them in public, as Mike Tindall did at The Jubilee ? How many Events will they participate in ? Will Archie and Lily be seen ? Will Harry and Meghan be booed ? Ect, ect, ect......

But seeing that Harry and Meghan depend on their Royal Connections for money and publicity, I bet they will be there. I just wonder how Harry squares that, with saying He can't go unless they apologize to Meghan and provide accountability.

This is such an American-centric way to think that British royalty should please an American audience. The Coronation is a public event funded entirely by the UK taxpayer and it's aimed primarily at them or other Commonwealth countries. It supposed to be a represention of British history and traditions, if Americans aren't interested or don't want to watch it because Meghan and Harry won't be it's quite irrelevant. In Europe, people couldn't care less about Super bowl but it doesn't stop Americans. An American audience will not bring that much money to be honest.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that it's just their opinions rather than data from reputable polls.

I agree some parts of the media would like the Sussexes to appear at the coronation in order to provide more copy and clicks but I disagree with your friends about the press media using 'fake polls' on this topic because I haven't seen any evidence to support that.

To be honest, unless the Daily Mail & associated media are doing their 'we hate Harry and we think you should too' thing, it's not really talked about.

Much as Andrew's appearance at the Jubilee was managed, Harry and Megan's attendance at the Coronation will just happen (or not!) and it'll be talked about briefly and we'll all move on. They won't be allowed to overshadow anything, even if the Press makes it seem that way.

The biggest topic of conversation at the moment, in Windsor and Eton, is 'have you entered the ballot for the Coronation Concert at the Castle?' - attending community celebrations is what you remember, not whether a non-working Royal was there or not.

Lilyflo, guess we will have to disagree.

Personally, I hope I'm wrong and The Sussex's don't overshadow The Coronation.
But since their reach and reputation seems to be on the decline anyway, it doesn't really matter. Their relevance and popularity did take a hit with Spare and The Docu-series. But the mocking that ensued over Harry's "todger" was great comedy at least.

I certainly did wonder why Saturday Night Live didn't join in to make hay with lampooning Harry, but then it was revealed that Harry was in talks to Host, but it fell apart at the end.
So that, SNL hands off, at least made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom