The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the tabloid is looking for any reason to generate drama. People are looking for conflict when there is none.

When Harry and Meghan left, their calendar is no longer dictated by the Palace. They are under no obligation to coordinate anything with the Palace. This is a foreseeable situation. If the courtiers did not negotiate this point during that summit, then they have failed in their duty and they have only themselves to blame.

Charles picked his coronation date on Archie's birthday. If Harry and Meghan stayed as working royals, maybe he wouldn't have chosen that date, but since they are not working royals, that was obviously not a consideration. (Also, who cares about a 4 yr old's birthday? Even the kid won't remember it.)

If you don't want Harry to write a tell-all book, then keep him in the fold. In hindsight, I think people should realize that keeping Harry in the family would have been better. Whatever price he asked for is worth it considering the fall out from Oprah's interview, the book, etc.

Considering that he wanted out of the British Royal Family and had indicated so for awhile, I'm not sure that "keeping Harry in the family" would have even been possible.

Also I do agree with those that pointed out that Charles did not "choose his coronation date." That decision would have been made equally with the British Government. All involved in the planning would be taking many aspects into consideration: weather, the schedules of elected officials and diplomats, and other major events happening in the nation and other parts of the world.

The Coronation is just a day!
The bigger problem is how do you get everyone to sit around the table, and become a family again afterwards? If Wallis Simpson, had received an HRH I think that would have made a big difference to all concerned. Mistakes have been made on both sides, but now the dust has settled, can things not just move forward.

The bigger problem is how do you get everyone to sit around the table, and become a family again afterwards? If Wallis Simpson, had received an HRH I think that would have made a big difference to all concerned. Mistakes have been made on both sides, but now the dust has settled, can things not just move forward.

Considering that Harry has sepnt the last 2 months publicising a very nasty book, I dont think that they are goig to sit round the table and become a family. Its clear that anything anyone says will be brought out and probalby twisted to make the royal sound bad.

I'm not sure how the family can move forward comfortably, knowing that every conversation, comment and expression could end up being recorded by the Sussexes in a subsequent interview/podcast/book. I don't think it's possible to be relaxed and unguarded while in the presence of people who make their living by insulting and betraying their relations.

Perhaps if Harry can manage to make his living for a ffew years without having a go at his family, they may forgive the past but I think he has done so much that it will be hard to trust him again.

Perhaps if Harry can manage to make his living for a ffew years without having a go at his family, they may forgive the past but I think he has done so much that it will be hard to trust him again.

I think you raise a key point. If H&M can move on from monetising their troubled relationship with the BRF and do all the good things that I am sure they intend to do, there may be some hope for imporving family relations. Till then, it seems pointless.

I think you raise a key point. If H&M can move on from monetising their troubled relationship with the BRF and do all the good things that I am sure they intend to do, there may be some hope for improving family relations. Till then, it seems pointless.
But they literally can't move on. That's the issue. They can't. The only successful projects of theirs ever since they tied the not has been the ones connected to royalty. Including thrashing royalty.

Meghan was moderately successful before she married Harry. But becoming a Duchess raised the bar. Before,she was measured by what she, Meghan Markle, had managed to achieve. And it was quite good, in fact. But not enough to maintain the standard of a royal duchess, even if we take it for granted that her old followers are still around. Which they likely aren't. That's the risk you take when you take a long break - people move on to someone else to give them what they got from you. No one is sitting around waiting for you to make a comeback.

Ever since their thunderous exit, the only projects of theirs that were successful involved cashing on their royalty and/or insulting the RF. If they stop, the shop will be literally closed. And honestly, I don't see why they would. After all they have said, done and accused the RF of, they can't hope for any meaningful and well-padded role in King Charles' monarchy, let alone King William of the evil wife's. The best they can hope for is some improvement in the strict family relationships which can only come in a few years if then. A few years in which they need to survive. And if things go down the best way possible, they STILL won't be able to afford the Hollywood-like style of life Meghan clearly adores. Because no one is going to fund it. At least they can make some additional money from monetizing their problematic relationship with Harry's family. For now. In a few years, it's going to be late. All the surgical work in the world won't make them not middle aged.

Last edited:
I think you raise a key point. If H&M can move on from monetising their troubled relationship with the BRF and do all the good things that I am sure they intend to do, there may be some hope for imporving family relations. Till then, it seems pointless.

I think you are very optimistic. I dont think they CAN make money without writing about the RF, and being critical. and as for doing good, perhaps they want to do some good, most of us put a bit of money in a charity tin, but IMO their focus has always been on making a large income to support a luxurious life.

Last edited:

Somehow doubt that with the nazi sympathies and all. There case, like Harry’s is complex. Want out but want all the good stuff and money.

I think you are very optimistic. I dont think they CAN make money without writing about the RF, and being critical. and as for doing good, perhaps they want to do some good, most of us put a bit of money in a charity tin, but IMO their focus has always been on making a large income to support a luxurious life.

They aren’t really doing much are they. Distributing money. The odd visit. Glamorous events in aid of cause. I think the main impetuous behind all of this is money.

Sorry to disappoint you on Wallis and her husband the Duke of Windsor but the discovery in 1995 of declassified documents was certainly informed to QEII. The Windsor couple conspired against the Queen's family to have them removed.
See the article on this thread about the notorious Operation Willy: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...s-during-wwi-and-wwii-4661-5.html#post2537604

On the Wallys and Edward vs Meghan and Harry comparison, the Sussex can't even compare to this other horrible couple associated with Hitler and his Spanish counterpart Franco.

Meghan and Harry don't seem to want anything to do with the UK, but I doubt they would even cause harm to the institution. They seem want to find their own way to make a living with their titles but without The Firm's interference.
They do a lot of nonsense and noise but is the baggage they each carry from their own experiences in life. None can't even match the treachery from the Dukes of Windsor discovered as recent as 1995, 23 years after the duke's passing.

Meghan and Harry don't seem to want anything to do with the UK, but I doubt they would even cause harm to the institution. They seem want to find their own way to make a living with their titles but without The Firm's interference.
They do a lot of nonsense and noise but is the baggage they each carry from their own experiences in life. None can't even match the treachery from the Dukes of Windsor discovered as recent as 1995, 23 years after the duke's passing.

They seem to be pretty focused on the task of doing harm to the monarchy, although one would hope they'd draw the line at teaming up with Nazis and Fascists.

The media and public do not help the situation with the Sussex and the Firm. The Firm believes ignore and it will all go away and they also believe can do now wrong. It is a terrible situation. Even if both sides did not leak anything, media and/or public would continue the battle. Very sad.

They seem to be pretty focused on the task of doing harm to the monarchy, although one would hope they'd draw the line at teaming up with Nazis and Fascists.

Let's give them a year after the Coronation to see if they will come to terms with their situation of self-exiled entitled royals of Montecito. Who knows, maybe they'll shine because of the charity work and not being in a passive aggressive war on both sides of their families.

Remember the times we live in, the Internet Age, the shelf life of celebrities is as short spanned as our interest in the next new thing. The USA is done with them in terms of credibility and now we can't figure out why are they complaining about anymore.

The South Park episode destroyed a tell all book and the Netflix series in less than 30 minutes plus commercials. All left now if for Meghan and Harry to pull out a new trick to make them interesting to us in the USA. For example, becoming real activists and now what we call show ponies .

I'll give them a year to see their actual work with charities and let's hope for the best.

One SouthPark episode certainly didn’t destroy ‘Spare’. It’s still selling around the world. A lot of people in the public eye, like Tom Cruise for instance, were made fun of in South Park. Didn’t destroy them and it hasn’t destroyed Harry or Meghan.

And it’s been eight weeks on the NY Times bestseller list as of today.

https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/

Last edited:
Harry wanted to leave; Meghan was his way out she never had any intentions of staying from the beginning. Marrying Harry gave her the opportunity to return to Hollywood as an A lister. They have done exactly that. I don't think Harry wants to return to the family but bc they have not been able to make it in Hollywood they have no choice but to return. IF they return it won't last long. Too much has happened the damage has been done the trust is gone. As long as the King continues to reward them for their bad behavior the more damage, they will do it will never end.

One SouthPark episode certainly didn’t destroy ‘Spare’. It’s still selling around the world. A lot of people in the public eye, like Tom Cruise for instance, were made fun of in South Park. Didn’t destroy them and it hasn’t destroyed Harry or Meghan.

Well, a book named Mein kampf by a certain A. H. has been a bestseller for many years and not because he's beloved and popular. It's only because people are curious about everyone famous, good or bad. And the juicier the contents is, the better it sells.

Harry and Meghan will always have a very small group of very loud fans [.....]. But that group is getting smaller (though not quieter) day by day.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the UK Sunday Times Best sellers data, 'Spare' hardcover sales Week by week

Week 1: 467,185*

Week 2: 82,540

Week 3: 37,145

Week 4: 21,320

Week 5: 13,970

Week 6: 10,470

Week 7: 6,510

Week 8: 6,305**

Total: 645,445

(* includes pre-orders)

(**includes Gabor Maté livestream free book with ticket)

8 weeks and it still hasn't even reached a million the book is not doing well. The NY Times just like the Forbes rich list means nothing. It can be brought the same goes for the awards.

Curryong, I just want to say as an American, the Sussex's popularity and credibility has MOST certainly tanked here.
Right, left, middle of the road, selling out your OWN Family, FOR MONEY and making salacious accusations really doesn't resonate for the long term with *most* People. Whether they be uninterested or casual observers, or committed Royalty Fans.

Especially NOW, where they have insisted their American raised children claim "their birthright" and be referred to as Prince-Princess.

The shameless hypocrisy of that too was really laughable. They have spent years now claiming how "trapped" and marginalized they were by the very Institution of Monarchy, but they want Titles for their children. Why ?

That's why the South Park Skit was so powerful and popular, it absolutely lambasted The Sussex's continuous weaponizing and monetizing of their self proclaimed "victimhood" in their vendetta against The Royal Family.

I don't think long term The Book, Netflix Series, Podcasts, or these Interviews will add lustre or prestige to The Sussex's quest to be credible and influential Global Superstars. Just the opposite, especially in Harry's case, with his attempts to be a Mental Health Champion.

Attacking your Family non stop, airing allegations and dirty laundry between your Father and Brother, while accepting zero personal blame OR any responsibility AND touting reliance on deep drug use, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in leadership there either.

And as for The Book sales, I still maintain down the line Harry will regret it. When I think of him selling out his Family in cheap, tawdry and inflammatory "tales", I think of this Bible quote......

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole World, but lose his own Soul? "

I doubt Harry is even aware of it, or its cautionary meaning.

Last edited:
From the UK Sunday Times Best sellers data, 'Spare' hardcover sales Week by week

Week 1: 467,185*

Week 2: 82,540

Week 3: 37,145

Week 4: 21,320

Week 5: 13,970

Week 6: 10,470

Week 7: 6,510

Week 8: 6,305**

Total: 645,445

(* includes pre-orders)

(**includes Gabor Maté livestream free book with ticket)

8 weeks and it still hasn't even reached a million the book is not doing well. The NY Times just like the Forbes rich list means nothing. It can be brought the same goes for the awards.

Do you know how many copies he sold in US? Some sources indicate 1.4 million other 3.4 millions?

Their credibility was destroyed by the show since the episode opened the eyes of how ridiculous the claims for privacy are. Best part became an instant meme, attack journalism by becoming a journalist. Here, in the USA, they went from sympathetic to ridicule after it aired.

To recover from that they need to listen to PR team not crowded with Yes-people and change the strategy of selective outrage. Focus on charity work and becoming real activists, not a comedy show running stand ups on past or unfounded grievances against the institution that gave them the titles.

Does it matter? The book is rubbish and shows up how very nasty he can be, the fact that a lot of people bought it, does not mean that the author is an admirable person

Does it matter? The book is rubbish and shows up how very nasty he can be, the fact that a lot of people bought it, does not mean that the author is an admirable person

I agree, a point has definitely been missed in terms of quantity v quality and popularity v infamy. How many copies a book sells means absolutely nothing.

I agree, a point has definitely been missed in terms of quantity v quality and popularity v infamy. How many copies a book sells means absolutely nothing.

Popularity vs infamy, you really hit the nail with the hammer on that one. :flowers:

Re books and the so called NY best sellers scandals, over here in the USA the son in law of our former :king4: got into the # 1 spot when using campaign funds to buy thousands of books ahead of time. It's a common practice for bookstores and other organizations to mass buy books and cause the charts to give you a higher spot on the best sellers list.

No. It fits like a glove.

per dictionary.com
Infamy is often used interchangeably with the word notoriety, which is the state or quality of being notorious—famous or well-known for a negative reason. But while notoriety can be used in a more neutral way to mean about the same thing as fame, infamy is always used negatively and usually involves a bad reputation.

Bad reputation = can any family member could feel free around either of them to have a serious and private conversation that might end up in a new book, series or movie or worst, Oprah?

But to give them credit, I think Meghan has better common sense than Harry and if the coronation gives them private time with King Charles, he should talk to her first. Meghan has more maturity and control of her image when compared to Harry's. And if u don't think so, get me started on his nazi uniform moment or the lip balm that reminds him of mommy... :ermm:

Got to go now, a second cup of coffee and some snow shoveling outside waits for me. Bye for a few hrs.

Last edited:
Infamy is a little strong, dont you think?

No I don't think so.

from the Collins dictionary:

Infamy is the state of being infamous.

Infamous people or things are well-known because of something bad.

Trashing your family repeatedly for money, revealing very personal details about them without their consent, humiliating and embarrassing people who have the misfortune to have crossed your path in the past (Pat and SW), accusing your family of being racist (and even accepting an award for doing so) then back pedalling on this two years later by which time the damage to the RF has been done, putting the Royal Family, service men and women and the population of the UK (including myself) in danger by describing the people he killed in Afghanistan as chess pieces, allegations of bullying staff, using your lawyer attack dogs to threaten and/or sue people on a regular basis, getting at least two TV presenters cancelled...shall I continue?

It ain't good stuff, that's for sure.

All my own opinion, of course!

Harry and Meghan are certainly an unpleasant pair, but have they raped anyone, killed anyone illegally? Infamy has a connotation of very serius evil, as FDR said of the Japanese invasion. They are just two spoiled selfish people, wiht an unpleasant dark side, who seem to egg each other on to worse behavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom