The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the British Royal family, and most of all Charles, had known that Harry tended towards depression and anxiety (and I think after Diana's death it was clear), they should have made it possible for him to avoid the military! It was bound to enhance the anxiety (including the worrying about his status in the family) and lead to PTSD, I think. The idea that joining the military was good for him was a stupid idea which seriously backfired. Of course, there was some sort of family tradition and Harry wanted and enjoyed it, but now they have to cope with the outcome. Meghan and his love for public exposure covered as "therapy" make sure it is bad. But nothing more than they deserve.

Harry did not have the grades or, indeed, the necessary qualifications to go to university and, as a prince, he would not be expected to do a vocational apprenticeship and take up a career in a trade. Becoming an army officer, in my opinion, was the only "respectable" career for a person in his social position who was not qualified enough to do anything else (in fact, he barely had the minimum qualifications to get into Sandhurst and, if he were not a prince, might have been turned down there also).

On top of that, joining the military as an active-duty officer was a common career path for spares in the Royal Family, so it looked natural. And Harry was a problematic teenager, who was drinking and doing drugs as a 17-year-old. His family and maybe Harry himself probably thought that the army would straighten him out and install a sense of direction and discipline in his life. In fact, that is a common expectation among people who join the army and their families, and we often hear people who served repeating that.

Last edited:
Oh, oh......now comedian Chris Rock is having a go at Meghan. Too funny ! For those that don't know he is a American Black Comedian.

On his comedy special ( where he address the infamous Will Smith Oscar slap) he says..... "EVERYBODY, everybody's trying to be a victim..... She seems like a nice lady, but COMPLAINING, like didn't she hit the light skinned lottery" ????........He goes on to address the controversy that blew up the Oprah Interview about *supposed* "concerns over how dark the baby's skin might be". Well he blows that to bits by saying " That's NOT RACIST, even Black People want to know how brown the child would be".

Chris skewers her framing EVERYTHING "they're so racist, they're so racist....Some of that s*** She went thru WASN'T racist.....She was dealing with was ....in IN LAW s***."
"She's complaining, I'm like what the f**** is she talking about?"

Wow, just brilliant !

Calling her out for accusing The Royal Family of being racist. I love that Chris, in my opinion, frames this accurately as being "In Law" issues too ! Of course, I'd throw in cultural too, Brit versus American sensibilities.

Oh, and then to keep the pot stirring, Australian Actress Rebel Wilson was on an American Show "Watch What Happens Live" with Andy Cohen and she is telling him how She had recently met Harry and Meghan thru mutual friends. Rebel goes on to say "how Harry could not have been nicer".
However, "Meghan wasn't as cool, and wasn't naturally warm". Ouch.

Very interesting, all the shade being thrown recently from MANY Celebrities directly at The Sussex's. Doesn't seem to be doing much for their Brand either, when you are being mocked, ridiculed or basically just called out for "fake" Racism charges no less too.

Part of the problem for the Sussex's is that they over saturate the market for interest in them. Selling one thing, grievances and perceived slights from the Royal Family-Firm AND Harry's "Diana issues". Personally, I believe interest is greatly waning for both.......

Last edited:
What’s interesting about the Rebel Wilson clip is the host didn’t rush to Meghan’s defense. Andy Cohen had been a guest on Meghan’s podcast, so he could have easily said, “Oh, my experience was different, maybe she had an off day”. He didn’t do that.

Perhaps practices differ by country but diagnosing a patient with depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder is doable in a single session. I did not see the live stream so I cannot state, nor am I qualified to state, if Maté employed the correct protocols in his session with Harry but I do know enough to know that it can be done in a single session. If the information is there, getting to the diagnoses noted above is not that difficult or time consuming, the treatment plan, on the other hand, may be more of a challenge and require multiple sessions to develop, execute and refine.

what sort of doctor or therapist diagnoses a person on TV and engages in a therapy session on tv?

If the British Royal family, and most of all Charles, had known that Harry tended towards depression and anxiety (and I think after Diana's death it was clear), they should have made it possible for him to avoid the military! It was bound to enhance the anxiety (including the worrying about his status in the family) and lead to PTSD, I think. The idea that joining the military was good for him was a stupid idea which seriously backfired. Of course, there was some sort of family tradition and Harry wanted and enjoyed it, but now they have to cope with the outcome. Meghan and his love for public exposure covered as "therapy" make sure it is bad. But nothing more than they deserve.
why? Harry wasn't really up to any other job, and had no interest in any other job, as far as we can see. He was a bit wild and foolish, but a lot of people have found that the military gives them discipline and a role, and they wise up and become more mature, if they go into the services. Its not tehir fault that he chose to become a soldier and that now he's saying it did not suit him. What job WOULD have suited him?

Denville, EXACTLY !
"What job would have suited him?"
Prince of Wales, then King I believe, "Harry The Spare" feels......

I often wonder if Harry looks at two of his grandmothers cousins who were born Spares. Not just great Aunt Margaret either.
Prince Michael of Kent, younger brother to Edward Duke of Kent and Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester ...All three alive still. Prince Richard trained as an architect as his elder brother, the dashing Prince William was the heir to The Duchy. But he died in a tragic airplane crash and Prince Richard became heir.

Does Harry know anything about his relatives, I often wonder ?

Everybody makes choices, we have NO say in birth order anyway. "You just get on with it"... as his grandfather Philip famously said. To bad Harry cant, OR wont.

Last edited:
Harry didn’t say in Spare that he hated his life in the armed forces at all. He thoroughly enjoyed parts of it including the flying. Nobody loves all elements of their career or profession all the time, but Harry did enjoy the camaraderie, the feeling that he was doing a good job in protecting others, being in helicopters, and a dozen other things.

Harry didn’t say in Spare that he hated his life in the armed forces at all. He thoroughly enjoyed parts of it including the flying. Nobody loves all elements of their career or profession all the time, but Harry did enjoy the camaraderie, the feeling that he was doing a good job in protecting others, being in helicopters, and a dozen other things.

Sounds like he did not enjoy it at all. He had to slip out to avoid drug tests, he did not stay at the job, though he could have stayed longer.

therapy is a private thing and doctors and therapists should not publicise it on the media.

I did not see this so called “therapy session” but in the US, at least, a psychiatrist, Ph.D psychologist, or some master’s level therapists are trained and licensed to diagnose mental health. This didn’t sound like a normal intake to me which would have included a whole lot of questions to Harry. ADHD takes many things into consideration: usually rating scales and consultation with others close to the person. For children, parents and teachers generally fill out a rating sheet. In my career as a school counselor, I scored and faxed so many of these to physicians at parents’ request. I always asked the teacher to write a narrative as well to give the doctor the best picture of what we saw at school. And many times we saw few or no symptoms at school but the parents did at home.

This is from CHADD, a well respected organization and clearinghouse for ADHD information :

Although there is no single medical, physical, or genetic test for ADHD, a diagnostic evaluation can be provided by a qualified mental health care professional or physician who gathers information from multiple sources. These sources include ADHD symptom checklists, standardized behavior rating scales, a detailed history of past and current functioning, and information obtained from family members or significant others who know the person well. Some practitioners will also conduct tests of cognitive ability and academic achievement in order to rule out a possible learning disability. ADHD cannot be diagnosed accurately just from brief office observations or simply by talking to the person. The person may not always exhibit the symptoms of ADHD during the office visit, and the diagnostician needs to take a thorough history of the individual’s life. A diagnosis of ADHD must include consideration of the possible presence of co-occurring conditions.

Clinical guidelines for a diagnosis of ADHD are provided by the American Psychiatric Association in the diagnostic manual Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5). These established guidelines are widely used in research and clinical practice. During an evaluation, the clinician will try to determine the extent to which these symptoms currently apply to the adult and if they have been present in childhood. In making the diagnosis, adults should have at least five of the symptoms present. These symptoms can change over time, so adults may fit different presentations from when they were children.

For more information: https://chadd.org/for-adults/diagnosis-of-adhd-in-adults/

But surely this wasn't intended as a bonafide therapy session? Why would you have a paying audience for that?
imo this was just the next part of the book-promotion tour..
I agree that the primary motive is promoting both participants and their books, and there may be reasons to question this particular provider, patient and session, but but I disagree with assertions / generalizations made that a diagnosis cannot be made in a single therapy session.

As previously stated, there may be different protocols in other countries, but mental health professionals do provide diagnosis during / at the end of a single session.

Sounds like he did not enjoy it at all. He had to slip out to avoid drug tests, he did not stay at the job, though he could have stayed longer.

There was an allegation that came up on Social media that he was supposed to have slipped off early one day to go to London and the subtext was that it was to avoid a drug test. And that’s all it was, an allegation on Twitter without valid proof of anything. Those sort of alleged incidents of going off base early turned up on SM about other royals as well. No proof of anything.

Harry disliked desk work which is why he left the army after ten years, a length of service a lot of other still young army officers take advantage of. Prince Philip was old and soon to retire and Harry then became a full time working royal.

why? Harry wasn't really up to any other job, and had no interest in any other job, as far as we can see. He was a bit wild and foolish, but a lot of people have found that the military gives them discipline and a role, and they wise up and become more mature, if they go into the services. Its not tehir fault that he chose to become a soldier and that now he's saying it did not suit him. What job WOULD have suited him?

A career in professional sports is the only one I can think of. But, then, (a) I am not sure Harry was good enough to become a professional polo or rugby player; (b) being a professional sporstman would have been difficult with his drug habits, and (c) as a prince, that would not have been seen as a "proper" full-time career for him anyway. Zara for example was able to have an international career in eventing and even build a lucrative business out of it, but she didn't have the same constraints as Harry.

There was an allegation that came up on Social media that he was supposed to have slipped off early one day to go to London and the subtext was that it was to avoid a drug test. And that’s all it was, an allegation on Twitter without valid proof of anything. Those sort of alleged incidents of going off base early turned up on SM about other royals as well. No proof of anything.

I think you are downplaying the incident in question. Based on what I read in the Daily Express about it, the base was indeed in lockdown for a mandatory drug test and, under regulations, no one was allowed to leave. Harry left early on the allegation that he was needed by the Royal Household, if I recall it correctly. Although that does not prove that he left to avoid taking a drug test, he was treated differently from his peers and in breach of regulations.

I don't think Harry ever admitted to using drugs while he was in the army, but the army has a strict no-drugs policy and people, especially the enlisted ranks, are known to have been discharged for failing mandatory drug testing. On top of that, Harry was, at a certain point in his military career, in the Army Air Corps, which would have put him in an even more delicate position if any drug-related incident had been uncovered.

Last edited:
Everyone is over the "woe is me" show produced by the Sussex couple.

I wish they would just go away! Pathetic! "look at me ... I have psychological issues because Grandma was the Queen and now Pa is the King ... and I'm only the spare!" Give me a break!!

Harry disliked desk work which is why he left the army after ten years, a length of service a lot of other still young army officers take advantage of. Prince Philip was old and soon to retire and Harry then became a full time working royal.

This is what he said last night:

'Once you sign up, you do what you're told to do.’

'A lot of us didn't agree or disagree, you were doing what you were trained to do and what you were sent to do.'

Sounds like he’s not so sure anymore about his feelings about military service. He said one more thing that I do not find right now, that the army likes to recruit people from broken families. I find such an affirmation disturbing.

I wish they would just go away! Pathetic! "look at me ... I have psychological issues because Grandma was the Queen and now Pa is the King ... and I'm only the spare!" Give me a break!!
Thanks for this! :flowers:
Your post reminds me of the sign “Meghan” carried in the South Park spoof: Stop Looking at us :lol:

He has nothing to do but peddle and sell silly innuendos and stories to make money. How sad. But he made his bed and has to lie in it.

Perhaps practices differ by country but diagnosing a patient with depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder is doable in a single session.

Sorry if this is a little OT but ADHD diagnosis can only be made after a thorough diagnostic process, certainly not in a single session.
I know this very well, having a person affected by it in my family.

What can be probably done in a single session is evaluating if there are the conditions that can justify an investigation.

I think that he did not really enjoy any work, all that much. He liked the camaraderie, of the army, but I cant' believe that he did not use drugs and there had to be some covering up. BUT I think that his veering away from the army has to do with Meghan, partly.... she encouraged his ambivalent feelings and now I think he does not look back on his service with pride or affection. However even several years ago, he referred to his kills as a video game.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a little OT but ADHD diagnosis can only be made after a thorough diagnostic process, certainly not in a single session.

What can be probably done in a single session is evaluating if there are the conditions that can justify an investigation.

I would agree that most mental health conditions are not that easy to diagnose , it is not a case of a chat and then progressing to therapy. And certianly it is not somthing that shoudl be done in public.

You are correct - see my post upthread (1090) about diagnosing ADHD.:flowers:

Our Channel 9 news services here in Australia are reporting that BP have been in email communication with the Sussexes about attendance at the Coronation. Other news outlets have been reporting this too. The Sussexes’ spokesperson stated that they won’t announce their attendance at this time.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/king...n-invite/5badc6f6-18ba-4ee6-b1da-2a3639d04797

The Sussexes had kept details of the correspondence private but confirmed receipt after a royal aide briefed Britain’s Times of London on Saturday that an invitation had been sent out.

Last edited:
This is what he said last night:

'Once you sign up, you do what you're told to do.’

'A lot of us didn't agree or disagree, you were doing what you were trained to do and what you were sent to do.'

Isn't it how the army works though in the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, or any other western country? A soldier or an officer is not under obligation to follow an illegal order (and, in fact, should refuse to do it as the army is also subject to the rule of law), but, other than that, or other than speaking freely when allowed, he cannot question his orders. At that junior level, they are not the ones who define their missions either. Their missions are assigned to them by their superiors. Otherwise, the discipline in the armed forces would collapse.

In the West in particular, we make sure that the most critical/sensitive decisions about the military, most notably going to war, can only be taken by public officials who have a democratic mandate and are accountable to the voters, and not by generals or the military itself. That gives legitimacy to a certain extent to the mission, but, from that point on, the actual orders have to move down the practical operational chain of command following the usual hierarchy of the forces.

Sounds like he’s not so sure anymore about his feelings about military service. He said one more thing that I do not find right now, that the army likes to recruit people from broken families. I find such an affirmation disturbing.

Well, that is a controversial topic that doesn't really belong in this forum. However, just to comment briefly, I think the armed forces in the UK recruit people from different social backgrounds, including members of the Royal Family and families in the peerage or the upper class. And, as it is also the case possibly in the United States and other countries, the "middle class" (here in the British sense, not the American one) is well-represented in the professional officer ranks.

Enlisted personnel, especially in the army, are, however, still recruited mostly from working class families amd many join straight out of school. Many of those come from very happy families, sometimes with a military tradition that runs across multiple generations of the family. I remember for example reading obituaries of British privates who died in Afghanistan and seeing testimonies of how they were loved and admired by their parents, sisters, brothers, girlfriends, and so on. But some also come from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds, being raised by single moms,doing really badly in school, and admitting that, if they had not joined the army, they would have been probably selling drugs and eventually ended up in jail or worse. So, overall, I think we cannot generalize or make the kind of statement that Harry made, even though the statement might actually be true for some people.

Last edited:
Oh, oh......now comedian Chris Rock is having a go at Meghan. Too funny ! For those that don't know he is a American Black Comedian.

On his comedy special ( where he address the infamous Will Smith Oscar slap) he says..... "EVERYBODY, everybody's trying to be a victim..... She seems like a nice lady, but COMPLAINING, like didn't she hit the light skinned lottery" ????........He goes on to address the controversy that blew up the Oprah Interview about *supposed* "concerns over how dark the baby's skin might be". Well he blows that to bits by saying " That's NOT RACIST, even Black People want to know how brown the child would be".

Chris skewers her framing EVERYTHING "they're so racist, they're so racist....Some of that s*** She went thru WASN'T racist.....She was dealing with was ....in IN LAW s***."

Wow, just brilliant !

Calling her out for accusing The Royal Family of being racist. I love that Chris, in my opinion, frames this accurately as being "In Law" issues too ! Of course, I'd throw in cultural too, Brit versus American sensibilities.

Oh, and then to keep the pot stirring, Australian Actress Rebel Wilson was on an American Show "Watch What Happens Live" with Andy Cohen and she is telling him how She had recently met Harry and Meghan thru mutual friends. Rebel goes on to say "how Harry could not have been nicer".

Very interesting, all the shade being thrown recently from MANY Celebrities directly at The Sussex's. Doesn't seem to be doing much for their Brand either, when you are being mocked, ridiculed or basically just called out for "fake" Racism charges no less too.

Part of the problem for the Sussex's is that they over saturate the market for interest in them. Selling one thing, grievances and perceived slights from the Royal Family-Firm AND Harry's "Diana issues". Personally, I believe interest is greatly waning for both.......

I love Chris Rock and agree with him 100%.:lol: And yep...the market is DEFINITELY over saturated with those two.

But to racists, the fact that she is light skinned matters not one bit. Only two days ago I read a message board where a woman insisted that Archie and Lili were not Meghan’s biological kids. Which is insane. Lili looks very much like her.

Even so...Meghan was able to benefit from the not talked about but very real advantages of being a fair skinned AA woman in America, even among other Black people. She even admitted it in the Netflix special when she claimed that she hadn't been exposed to racism before meeting and marrying Harry.

The fact that even Hollywood seems to be cooling on these two is very bad news for them. They didn’t even score an invite to their "friend" Oprah Winfrey's birthday party....?!

Last edited:
As much as the general public and royal watches argue about the Sussex's - I have been witness to therapist, clinic psychologists and psychologists argue about them, and it is not pretty. While you have therapists that see him as the second coming. Others and they are the majority believe he is harming the entire practice.
People is not helping people to seek help - he is showing that therapy can be used as a way to push blame to others and not really move to healing. And I will not even say what they feel about his use of cannabis and possible other drugs as well. I have been pointing blank told that Harry is a threat to the mental health projects of the US and the NHS. He knows nothing and acts like an expert.

I

Enlisted personnel, especially in the army, are, however, still recruited mostly from working class families amd many join straight out of school. Many of those come from very happy families, sometimes with a military tradition that runs across multiple generations of the family. I remember for example reading obituaries of British privates who died in Afghanistan and seeing testimonies of how they were loved and admired by their parents, sisters, brothers, girlfriends, and so on. But some also come from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds, being raised by single moms,doing really badly in school, and admitting that, if they had not joined the army, they would have been probably selling drugs and eventually ended up in jail or worse. So, overall, I think we cannot generalize or make the kind of statement that Harry made, even though the statement might actually be true for some people.
I dont know exactly what H said, but it SEEMS that he's saying that the army deliberately recruit from kids from broken homes. which is another matter and not very favouralbe to the army.

IMHO Maté is a controversial figure (at best) here in Canada. To participate in a publicity stunt for a book is highly unprofessional.

Personally I've never had any use for him since I read an article by him a number of years ago claiming that ALL psychiatric disorders have their roots in childhood trauma and parenting. He doesn't acknowledge that many disorders are caused by biological/neurological factors which is the current thinking among most professionals. I've heard him described as a "flat earther" for this reason. IMHO he should never been given any award.

IMHO he's the worst 'therapist' Harry could have engaged. Harry always blames his family for all of his issues and unhappiness. He seems 'stuck' blaming them for everything. Maté will only reinforce that idea.

Last edited:

Wow, just brilliant !

I will start off by stating that I do not believe Meghan's allegation that there were conversations about Harry and Meghan's child's skin tone, specifically the possibility that the child would have a dark skin tone, that would be a problem and the child being given a title at birth or upon Charles' ascension was tied to how dark the child is. Adding on to my skepticism is Meghan stating that she was not present for these skin tone conversations, rather this information was relayed to her by Harry, plausible deniability and all that.

Having said all that, my understanding from a poor quality clip, Chris Rock states that the British Royal Family are racist and Meghan's victim narrative does not hold water for him because she had to know what kind of family she was marrying into. Now this is my interpretation, but it seems like the sub-text to what he is saying is that Meghan's problems became in-law problems rather than race problems because she knowing married into a racist family.

He goes into the skin color discussion and does share that Black people would also be curious about the child's skin color. I don't think that just because a Black person weighs in, that the assertion should be universally accepted. I am not saying that it is inconceivable that a Black person would not be curious about a child's coloring, but if it is in the same / similar context as Meghan described, to be sure there will be people who would consider that non-benign / problematic no matter the race of the person making the comment / query.

I dont know exactly what H said, but it SEEMS that he's saying that the army deliberately recruit from kids from broken homes. which is another matter and not very favouralbe to the army.

I am not an army recruiter, but I think it would be counter-productive to do that deliberately. The army, like any employer, should recruit people who are identified to be most likely to succeed in the job that will be assigned to them. If a person is identified as having mental health issues, he should not be immediately disqualified, but I, as a recruiter, would consider how that might impact his ability to do the job, especially in an organization like the army where his and other people's lives might be at stake.

What I said was just that there are people in the army, certainly in the United States and, I assume, also in the United Kingdom, who do come from broken homes and, perhaps (just perhaps), that group is overrepresented in the army compared to other (especially civilian) organizations. So, I can understand, to a certain extent, where Harry's opinion is coming from.

That doesn't mean: (a) that everybody in the army comes from broken homes (which is not true obviously and probably is not true even for the majority of the people in the army), or (b) that the army uses "being from a broken home" as a condition to join (which wouldn't make sense) or values being from a broken home as a plus (which wouldn't be reasonable either).

IMHO Maté is a controversial figure (at best) here in Canada. To participate in a publicity stunt for a book is highly unprofessional.

Personally I've never had any use for him since I read an article by him a number of years ago claiming that ALL psychiatric disorders have their roots in childhood trauma and parenting. He doesn't acknowledge that many disorders are caused by biological/neurological factors which is the current thinking among most professionals. I've heard him described as a "flat earther" for this reason. IMHO he should never been given any award.

IMHO he's the worst 'therapist' Harry could have engaged. Harry always blames his family for all of his issues and unhappiness. He seems 'stuck' blaming them for everything. Maté will only reinforce that idea.

I agree 100 % with what you said and think you put it in perfect terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom