The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry claimed his father cut him off financially, but the Duchy accounts did show another payment after he had moved abroad. Things didn't quite tally. I cannot recall the amount.

It was a couple of million. Nothing much...a divorce settlement.

They're never going to live there again, and I'm sure they can find somewhere to stay for occasional visits, so it makes sense for them to vacate it. So it seems likely to be true that Andrew's moving there.

Based on what I have read, the King is cutting down Prince Andrew's "allowance" (I wasn't aware he had one, but apparently he does). As a result, Andrew can no longer afford to refurbish and maintain Royal Lodge (as required under his lease agreement) and, therefore, will be forced to leave the premises. He was then offered Frogmore Cottage as an alternative home. However, Andrew is reported to be "resisting" the move as he does not want to "downsize" his lifestyle.

Based on what I have read, the King is cutting down Prince Andrew's "allowance" (I wasn't aware he had one, but apparently he does). As a result, Andrew can no longer afford to refurbish and maintain Royal Lodge (as required under his lease agreement) and, therefore, will be forced to leave the premises. He was then offered Frogmore Cottage as an alternative home. However, Andrew is reported to be "resisting" the move as he does not want to "downsize" his lifestyle.

What is there to downsize. He lives a quiet life, rides horses and persumably does one of the many things homebodies do: TV, podcasts, hobbies, gardening. Nothing will change for him. Except the size of the house. But why he needs that house I don't know. Frogmore is lovely.

Personally, I think that Charles motivation was basically two fold. Complete exasperation with the continuing attacks..... insults and allegations that The Sussex's keep hurling at the Family - Institution. And yes, a business decision too utilize a woefully underused Royal Home.

The statement put out by The Sussex's says " they were REQUESTED to vacate their Residence ", so it wasn't their idea. Again, Meghan is probably totally untroubled, but Harry ? It was his last link to The Country of his birth, his home. Literally.

But what totally baffles me is this. Andrew has a 75 year lease on Royal Lodge, he has been there since 2004, I think. Can Charles just force him out ?
What does that say about the Wessex's lease at Bagshot too ? That's a giant Estate also.

I still bet Andrew got millions in his Parents will, so even IF he has to economize, wouldn't he have time ( years ) to figure out where and when he wants to go to ? From Royal Lodge to Frogmore Cottage ! What a giant demotion.

I always thought Frogmore was temporary and that the Sussex's would have got something much grander, as senior working Royals once Charles became King. But that's a moot point now anyway.

If true, and Andrew is being forced to move to Frogmore he must be livid. Is that what the Queen would have wanted ? What's the purpose of the leases then ?

Eh no, that's not really the same logic in my opinion ;)

Frog Cot was always scheduled to be renovated and it could easily be defended (also by the BRF, but as per usual they stayed mum) that the Sovereign Grant should've covered the costs. Instead, the Sussexes duly succumbed to the public fuss and repaid the money spent – presumably because they'd been given the impression that the estate was theirs to lease for the unforeseeable future.

You think it's ok for Charles to screw them over just because you disagree with their actions? Doesn't that just make Charles as bad as them?

I assume from the last line that you agree that the couples behaviour has not been ideal.

Personally, I think that Charles motivation was basically two fold. Complete exasperation with the continuing attacks..... insults and allegations that The Sussex's keep hurling at the Family - Institution. And yes, a business decision too utilize a woefully underused Royal Home.

The statement put out by The Sussex's says " they were REQUESTED to vacate their Residence ", so it wasn't their idea. Again, Meghan is probably totally untroubled, but Harry ? It was his last link to The Country of his birth, his home. Literally.

But what totally baffles me is this. Andrew has a 75 year lease on Royal Lodge, he has been there since 2004, I think. Can Charles just force him out ?
What does that say about the Wessex's lease at Bagshot too ? That's a giant Estate also.

I still bet Andrew got millions in his Parents will, so even IF he has to economize, wouldn't he have time ( years ) to figure out where and when he wants to go to ? From Royal Lodge to Frogmore Cottage ! What a giant demotion.

I always thought Frogmore was temporary and that the Sussex's would have got something much grander, as senior working Royals once Charles became King. But that's a moot point now anyway.

If true, and Andrew is being forced to move to Frogmore he must be livid. Is that what the Queen would have wanted ? What's the purpose of the leases then ?

The heir to the throne lives most of the time in 4 bedroom house, albeit big, house.

What does Andrew want with RL and what does Harry want with Frogmore really?

The Queen is gone. What she wanted, from a business perspective, doesn’t matter anymore. You can hardly have a say once you are gone.

in the years to come there will only be William and his children…all these many expanding places need to be used effectively.

Honestly not surprised.

Didn’t understand why they kept it. Convenience for when they were in the UK. But honestly I’m glad they confirming the non relationship between Charles and the Sussexes. It was needed to be done. Enough fakeness about “much loved” when it’s not true. LOL

Anyways I think we are in the beginning of the end now. Next will be titles and removing Harry and his kids from the line of succession. Might as well do it all now before the coronation.

These people are no longer family. Time for all to be honest,

I think this also confirms the Sussexes will not be attending the coronation nor will be invited. So hopefully all that chatter will stop.

Will be interesting this fall though when the Sussexes are back in Europe: I guess now it just will be them mostly avoiding the UK when possible. Or at least the family parts of it, which is a lot.

Too bad the Crown is ending. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly not surprised.

Didn’t understand why they kept it. Convenience for when they were in the UK. But honestly I’m glad they confirming the non relationship between Charles and the Sussexes. It was needed to be done. Enough fakeness about “much loved” when it’s not true. LOL

Anyways I think we are in the beginning of the end now. Next will be titles and removing Harry and his kids from the line of succession. Might as well do it all now before the coronation.

I think this also confirms the Sussexes will not be attending the coronation nor will be invited. So hopefully all that chatter will stop.

Will be interesting this fall though when the Sussexes are back in Europe: I guess now it just will be them mostly avoiding the UK when possible. Or at least the family parts of it, which is a lot.

Like Harry constantly insulting his brother and father but then saying I love them? That kind of fakeness?

To be honest I wonder if this is all part of a big royal residence shake up - maybe Royal Lodge for the Wales', Frogmore Cottage for Andrew and some place else for H&M. They apparently wanted rooms in Windsor Castle originally so maybe Charles is planning that for them, or if the Wales' move they may use Adelaide Cottage/Lodge or some other smaller property on the estate. They have only returned the very minimal amount of times since they moved to America, even once Covid restrictions have been lifted, so much so that they were even happy to let Eugenie and Jack use Frogmore Cottage for a logn while. Perhaps a smaller property would be better for everyone (i.e. provide a smaller, cheaper residence for Andrew, less outgoings for H&M, good move PR wise etc)

Like Harry constantly insulting his brother and father but then saying I love them? That kind of fakeness?

Actually Yes. I don’t think they love each other at all. It’s been made quite obvious now other years. I think these people are sadly in situation they accept and deal because well they will be monarchs or depend on them for survival. Weird family dynamics. Quite toxic. But yes I agree with ya!

I understood the Duke of Sussex, whom pursues a life outside the UK, is requested to leave Frogmore Cottage, which will then become a new residence for the Duke of York.

I also wonder what else is going on - the Sussex statement simply states they have been requested to vacate Frogmore. Makes me wonder if something else isn't in the offing - a smaller residence elsewhere maybe. The Sussex's aren't afraid of hitting out at the RF in statements so if this was their only UK home being taken off them I would expect them to say something along that line. It feels like there is more going on and plans aren't finalised yet.

When the Duke of York can not pay his lease, the lessor can enforce the lessee to leave the leased property.

From an optics POV, I don't understand why the Palace or their insiders would decide to announce that TRH The Sussexes were losing Frogmore Cottage, especially to HRH The Duke of York, two months before TM The King and Queen's coronation. Now, instead of building up excitement for the moment, the attention is now on family members the BRF definitely would rather people ignore (unless, cynically, all press is good press for the BRF). Now, the argument could be made that this is precisely the reason why HM The King is doing it now rather than closer to the coronation: to avoid distractions. But doesn't this action only encourage big reactions that might overshadow the coronation, whereas if it was done after the coronation, people would probably be so wrapped up in British pride and patriotism that they wouldn't even respond and even applaud HM The King's actions (without the heavy media speculation spoiling the day)?

I don't feel bad for HRH The Duke of York possibly having to move out of The Royal Lodge. It's akin to someone buying an expensive house when they have a high-paying job, then getting fired from that job for bad behavior and having to sell said house because their reputation stops them from getting any job on the same level as the one they had before.

Since HRH The Duke of Sussex will no longer be domesticated in Great Britain anymore, it brings up once again whether or not he'll become U.S. citizen or at least a permanent resident.

Possibly Prince of Wales and his family can move into Royal Lodge because he can pay now that he is the Duke of Cornwall.

From an optics POV, I don't understand why the Palace or their insiders would decide to announce that TRH The Sussexes were losing Frogmore Cottage, especially to HRH The Duke of York, two months before TM The King and Queen's coronation. Now, instead of building up excitement for the moment, the attention is now on family members the BRF definitely would rather people ignore (unless, cynically, all press is good press for the BRF). Now, the argument could be made that this is precisely the reason why HM The King is doing it now rather than closer to the coronation: to avoid distractions. But doesn't this action only encourage big reactions that might overshadow the coronation, whereas if it was done after the coronation, people would probably be so wrapped up in British pride and patriotism that they wouldn't even respond and even applaud HM The King's actions (without the heavy media speculation spoiling the day)?

(...)

The reason of the timing could be this:
https://www.gov.uk/private-renting-tenancy-agreements/your-landlord-wants-to-end-your-tenancy

Your landlord can take back their property without giving any reason if you have either:

periodic tenancy (sometimes called a ‘rolling tenancy’)

a fixed-term tenancy that has ended

To do this, all of the following must apply:

they’ve protected your deposit in a deposit protection scheme, if the tenancy began or was renewed on or after 6 April 2007

they’ve given you at least 2 months written notice that they want the property back (‘notice to quit’)

the date you must leave is at least 6 months after your original tenancy began (the date you moved in)

If the rumour that the Sussexes need to leave by summer, the notice would need to be issued around the coronation which would have bigger chance to spoil the news surrounding the coronation than in January (as rumoured) as there's more time for this news to die down before the coronation.

Harry claimed his father cut him off financially, but the Duchy accounts did show another payment after he had moved abroad. Things didn't quite tally. I cannot recall the amount.
Thank you for bringing it up because the mental gymnastics that’s being used to justify the Sussexes should be paid back for the refurb is funny to me. But hey, people believe whatever they want.

Eh no, that's not really the same logic in my opinion ;)

Frog Cot was always scheduled to be renovated and it could easily be defended (also by the BRF, but as per usual they stayed mum) that the Sovereign Grant should've covered the costs. Instead, the Sussexes duly succumbed to the public fuss and repaid the money spent – presumably because they'd been given the impression that the estate was theirs to lease for the unforeseeable future.

You think it's ok for Charles to screw them over just because you disagree with their actions? Doesn't that just make Charles as bad as them?
I think people who actually follow the BRF are aware that the properties lived in by the BRF are renovated with taxpayers funds. William and Kate got flack years ago for their renovations at their Kensington palace Apartment and I don’t recall a statement defending them either, probably only an announcement that there was going to be a renovation. People who were aware that the renovations were taking place understood, but the Sussexes were being rude to the media and public during the time of the renovations particularly on the issue of Archie’s christening which was happening around that time and the hide and seek games they were playing with the media over Archie’s birth and all that happened that time. The sovereign grant still paid for their renovations. To your last line, they have denigrated and tried to use magazine articles, pet journalists (Omid), their Netflix doc, the silly “Spare” book and Oprah interview to tarnish the family for three years, it wasn’t just Charles who was maligned. Plus Charles has not openly said anything nasty to media about the Sussexes so I don’t see your point. Plus where did Harry get the money?

Last edited:
It is very possible that Charles paid for Harry because Harry for the most part of life till now has never paid for his own expenses even though he has a big trust fund. But the Sussexes could have paid for it themselves somehow.

Last edited:
Honestly not surprised.

Agree with all of this. Until today, I've been opposed to this (losing Frogmore, the titles, etc) because it seemed excessively punitive towards Harry, no matter how you feel about the Netflix documentary and the book. But now I honestly think he, Meghan, and the children especially are truly better off with all ties severed. Being stripped of your UK home for the "crime" of writing a gossipy tell all while the same home is offered to your uncle accused of far greater crimes... that's a tough pill to swallow. But perhaps it's for the best - there is clearly nothing left in the UK for any of the four Sussexes. I genuinely hope they can move forward and find peace with all of this. Let the saga end and everyone move on with their separate lives.

It would be nice if everyone could move on and live their lives peacefully, but Harry supposedly has 3 more books to write. So will we see "Spare II: The Time William Got An Extra Pepperoni On His Slice Of Pizza"? :whistling:

The only advantage of having the lease of frogmore was that Harry could prove he had residence in UK and so continue to be counselor of state. For all the rest there are solutions.

That to me is indeed the most interesting part to me. How will he claim (or will he no longer do so) to be domiciled in the UK? Of course, that will also depend on his visa in the USA: is he formally a resident there or just a temporary visitor.

Finally! King Charles is stepping up!

Harry went too far! Calling Camilla dangerous, William a bully in public! That was not gossip in my opinion. It was slander! He wanted to destroy them but unfortunately it backfired!

Also, who in the right mind wants to be close to someone who is reveling personal things about others and lie to make himself look better? No one

I will be shocked if the King give them apartment at Windsor. Wales seem to be using that space more and more. And why will they want the Sussexes around to spy on them? Taking pictures in sensitive places? They have shown no boundaries!

I hope they find their happiness in California. This is a great move for everyone. The King and royal family deserve peace and happiness too.

Agree with all of this. Until today, I've been opposed to this (losing Frogmore, the titles, etc) because it seemed excessively punitive towards Harry, no matter how you feel about the Netflix documentary and the book. But now I honestly think he, Meghan, and the children especially are truly better off with all ties severed. Being stripped of your UK home for the "crime" of writing a gossipy tell all while the same home is offered to your uncle accused of far greater crimes... that's a tough pill to swallow. But perhaps it's for the best - there is clearly nothing left in the UK for any of the four Sussexes. I genuinely hope they can move forward and find peace with all of this. Let the saga end and everyone move on with their separate lives.
There is no official announcement that Andrew is moving to Frogmore, that’s probably just speculation. How is it excessive? Harry hasn’t been deported from the U.K or politically exiled nor is he a refugee. In the Middle Ages, if he did the things he’s done so far, he’d either be executed, sent to a monastery for life or exiled to another country with probably no money. The property he hardly lived in the U.K (Frogmore) wasn’t a property he personally owned and his kids weren’t going to live there for long either even if their parents were working royals, at some point they’d have to move out, the days of grace and favour homes are a thing of the past. I don’t think anyone would react nicely or be silent when someone is disparaging you for three years on innuendos and insinuations of racism, bigotry, not being loved or appreciated without providing substantial evidence and getting a book deal worth millions and documentaries worth millions. The world of today is a polarised one and throwing out allegations without facts is a dangerous thing to do.

Btw, it’s not actually Charles who told them to vacate but rather the Crown Estates from Marlene Eilers Koenig’s blog. Please check it and read it.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 -

Some of the media is reporting that they didn’t reimburse the renovations as promised and Charles paid it. I don’t know how truthfully is this.

Last edited:
Well BP confirmed in their Sovereign Grant report it was fully repaid. Unless the palace is lying now…

[…]And not sure why anyone doubting the report about Andrew. It’s literally the reason given why Charles doesn’t want the Sussexes living on the property which they confirmed was requested.

Well BP confirmed in their Sovereign Grant report it was fully repaid. Unless the palace is lying now…

[…]And not sure why anyone doubting the report about Andrew. It’s literally the reason given why Charles doesn’t want the Sussexes living on the property which they confirmed was requested.

Charles did not make the choice to tell the Sussexes to vacate Frogmore. The Crown estates did that. Of course, Harry paid back for the refurbishments, that’s old news. Not every headline is credible saying that they haven’t paid.

Unless property/rental ownership is something that is public record in Great Britain, I'm still trying to figure out why this news came out at all. It's clear that TRH The Sussexes have no intention of coming back to Great Britain on a permanent basis, so outwardly nothing would change whether they continued to rent Frogmore Cottage or not. They could've taken the property away from TRH The Sussexes without anyone being the wiser...and yet The Sun reported it first (unless I'm mistaken) and Scobie responded. So, I'm trying to figure out who would leak it and why would they do so. Some theories:
- TRH The Sussexes to garner more sympathy for themselves (though they usually use American media or British Republican media for that)
- The BRF as a preemptive measure in case TRH The Sussexes leaked the news themselves
- The BRF in order to bring positive press to themselves by feeding into the British dislike for TRH The Sussexes and schadenfreude for their "punishment"
- The Sun themselves to distract from the backlash caused by the Clarkson article
- The Sun themselves because family strife sells more papers than the BRF visiting their charities or knighting people doing incredible work

There is no official announcement that Andrew is moving to Frogmore, that’s probably just speculation. How is it excessive? Harry hasn’t been deported from the U.K or politically exiled nor is he a refugee. In the Middle Ages, if he did the things he’s done so far, he’d either be executed, sent to a monastery for life or exiled to another country with probably no money. The property he hardly lived in the U.K (Frogmore) wasn’t a property he personally owned and his kids weren’t going to live there for long either even if their parents were working royals, at some point they’d have to move out, the days of grace and favour homes are a thing of the past. I don’t think anyone would react nicely or be silent when someone is disparaging you for three years on innuendos and insinuations of racism, bigotry, not being loved or appreciated without providing substantial evidence and getting a book deal worth millions and documentaries worth millions. The world of today is a polarised one and throwing out allegations without facts is a dangerous thing to do.

I truly hope you're correct that it's only tabloid speculation about Andrew moving in. I initially dismissed because that part of it seemed way too far fetched, but it seems to be gaining consensus among the other reporters who have written about this. We'll see. I see the merit in Harry and Meghan letting go of Frogmore if they're not going to use it but my view is that it's distasteful to strip them of the home and then give it to Andrew of all people. It's why I feel stripping Harry of Frogmore and/or theoretically his titles and everything else is excessively punitive - yes, Andrew lost the ability to represent the family in an official capacity and has to downsize but he is still allowed (reportedly) to live on a Crown Estate property and has access to the family. The reporter who broke today's story is framing this decision as not just a financial one but also a post-Spare act of retribution and de facto exile for Harry. I don't think it's fair to lump him in with Andrew, regardless of whether or not I have disagreements with some of what Harry has said and done (I do, for the record). But I don't want to veer too off topic so my apologies if I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom