The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Gayle King know whether anyone was racist or not? And her comment was conveyed in an spare moment to a particular journalist who has been a stern critic of the Sussexes.

We have never seen Harry or Meghan speaking on camera and stating that the entire Royal Family is racist. Meghan didn’t even complain about Princess Michael and the brooch she wore to the extended family lunch, which the media at the time made a huge fuss about.
Harry and Meghan addressed the issue of the brooch in their Netflix series

I believe all jewels with a royal provenance were returned to the royal family upon Diana’s death, probably per her divorce settlement. The brooch was a gift from the Queen Mother, and she was gifted the Prince of Wales brooch. Both were returned to the Crown, as were loans, such as the Lovers Knot tiara and the emerald choker. Gifts from foreign dignitaries remain property of the Crown, to be used at His/Her discretion.
But the gifts from foreign governments and monarchs were long before the policy of putting gifts from foreign countries and monarchs on state visits into the Royal collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be off topic slightly but I read so many reports that said only Doria attended M&H’s wedding but I swear I read an article where 2 family members from her mum’s side of the family also attended, a man and a woman, and they sat with everyone else, not the two aisles facing each other. Can anyone help me out on this?

Sorry to be off topic slightly but I read so many reports that said only Doria attended M&H’s wedding but I swear I read an article where 2 family members from her mum’s side of the family also attended, a man and a woman, and they sat with everyone else, not the two aisles facing each other. Can anyone help me out on this?
As far as I remember it, this was alleged but never confirmed.

Why would Gayle King know whether anyone was racist or not? And her comment was conveyed in an spare moment to a particular journalist who has been a stern critic of the Sussexes.

We have never seen Harry or Meghan speaking on camera and stating that the entire Royal Family is racist. Meghan didn’t even complain about Princess Michael and the brooch she wore to the extended family lunch, which the media at the time made a huge fuss about.

That is correct the Media called Princess Michael out for it.

As for not calling the family racist, the very fact they generalise is the problem, they are planting seeds then walking away.

In country I come from there are 2 traditional proverbs which IMHO describe well H and M, one their current behavior, and the other their future. I don't know what the equivalents of these proverbs in English speaking countries would be, so I'll simply give you the literal translation:
An owl mocked a tit for having a big head.
One who flies high, dives deep.

Another reminder that members are not permitted to post links in the Sussex thread without moderator permission. Check the first page of the thread for the proper procedure, and other rules governing this thread. Unapproved links will be deleted without notice.

They accepted an award because they went "to the oldest institution in U.K. history and told them what they were doing wrong, that they couldn't have structural racism within the institution." I think it is fair to say that Harry and Meghan want the world to believe the royal family is racist.

On a more personal note, Harry made a point of attending Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding when he could so easily not have due to Meghan having given birth shortly beforehand. Gabriella is a cousin and was a childhood friend he grew up with living next door to at Kensington Palace so it's no surprise he wanted to be there (even though she was bypassed at his own wedding to make way for people like Oprah and the Clooneys). What is surprising is that he now goes on to attack her Mum as a racist in this documentary. Is that really that he thinks, if it is would he have made such an effort to have gone to her wedding? He's attacked his Dad and William and Kate more slyly but Princess Michael got it front and centre for wearing a brooch. What is wrong with Harry these days? I feel sorry for him to an extent but this isn't right, everyone in his family seems to be getting it in the neck.

I remember this, but not all the details.

That is correct the Media called Princess Michael out for it.

As for not calling the family racist, the very fact they generalise is the problem, they are planting seeds then walking away.

It seems odd ot me to claim that someone in the family said something very upsetting, and then to refuse to say who it was. Leaving a shadow over all the family, excpet the queen and Philip

At the request of member wonderland31, here is an opinion piece that discusses the wider implications of the Sussexes critique of the Commonwealth:

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3784176-the-trouble-with-harry-and-meghan/

Highlights from the article:

"...Further, by Harry and Meghan amassing personal wealth in America — by some estimates, more than $150 million for the Netflix series alone — and doing so by attacking the Commonwealth as “Empire 2.0,” they are crassly jeopardizing a global economic alliance that accounts for nearly 10 percent of the United Kingdom’s total foreign trade..."

"...It would be comical if the real-world implications of Harry and Meghan’s tantrums were not as serious and far-reaching as they are in reality — especially in a world ...under assault by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine and by Chinese President Xi Jinping, among others.

...Moscow and Beijing are betting on that answer, in part, being Harry and Meghan, especially in terms of fomenting racial divide in Africa. It undermines not only the United Kingdom but also the strength of its military and economic partnership with Washington — and as a result, U.S. national security.

Time will tell if this gamble of Harry attacking his very own family, the reason why he has the money and privilege to complain from the USA, was even worth that gamble.

It would be comical if the real-world implications of Harry and Meghan’s tantrums were not as serious and far-reaching as they are in reality — especially in a world where the West and its notions and ideals of neoliberalism are under assault by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine and by Chinese President Xi Jinping, among others.
As is, the Commonwealth is under existential attack by Moscow and Beijing — and East, Central and Southern Africa are most at risk. Both dictatorships offer worldviews fundamentally and diametrically opposed to the West. China believes in totalitarian democracy wherein citizens are the “masters” of the country, but the Chinese Communist Party is the master of the people. Putin espouses an autocratic multipolar world forged by military invasions and sham referenda.

I have to wonder if this was a portion of the Harry and Meghan series that the Sussexes didn't feel that they'd have much control over the content?

I have to wonder if this was a portion of the Harry and Meghan series that the Sussexes didn't feel that they'd have much control over the content?

Note aside, just a comment on the Forum's quotation setting. When you quoted my notes the html in here automatically selected key words and converted them into links. I noticed that behavior in quote bracket texts a few weeks back. I used the word 'action figures' and when I pressed submit it turned it into a link to buy toys.

Re

The series was directed with the feel of a BBC dramatization, but ultimately what came out of his mouth was very clear and he can't blame it on the editing. Now they have to be mature enough to face the consequences of their opinions, specifically about William and his wife. That will be a scar that will run deep for decades to come

It's not an article but an opinion piece. [.....]

[.....]
It does present possible (I’d say probable, but it’s just my opinion) implications. I never thought that the rise of Meghan up to marrying a prince was pure hazard. Nor that their exit was not encouraged by third parties. Politics do not permit morals. We’ll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the above opinion piece, I find the whole thing ridiculous.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Commonwealth of Nations has always been a voluntary alliance between countries with similar political, economic, social, and cultural goals. It is not one where the members are expected to support the United Kingdom in every decision the latter makes globally, especially if its against their own self-interest. The article discusses how China is putting a lot of money into many African Commonwealth countries in exchange for political backing...which is exactly what the Commonwealth does. I didn't agree with the more than half of African countries abstaining to condemn Russia, but I didn't begrudge them either.

It's becoming a trend now to blame TRH The Sussexes whenever any member of the Commonwealth acts against the British Royal Family, as if an interview or two can change the entire perspective of dozens of independent nations. It's infantilizing. These countries have long, storied histories with the British Royal Family and the former British Empire, and experienced racism long before HRH The Duchess of Sussex was even thought of. If any of the Commonwealth countries openly express grievances against the British Royal Family pertaining to the real suffering caused by their ancestors, then the latter should find a way to address that while forging a new relationship. And if said members align with others for their own economic and political benefits, they should accept it rather than expecting independent nations to behave like British colonies.

In the end, this opinion piece sounds like two people bitter about the United Kingdom's lessening influence in their former colonies while using TRH The Sussexes as scapegoats and ignoring the more complex political, economic, and historical reasons.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: October 2022-

I think the article was more from a U.S. national security perspective, which aligns closely with U.K. national security strategy, though it doesn’t overlap it entirely.

The point was that the Commonwealth as it stands is an association that promotes healthy democracy and democratic development in contrast to authoritarian states like China and Russia which are also competing for global influence. The security experts believe that weakening the Commonwealth is bad overall and believe, with some justification, that Meghan and Harry are doing so without recognizing the impact of their actions.

It’s a provocative argument. I think it’s one worth thinking about more, but it’s pretty far outside of how we normally think about and discuss these issues.

Last edited:
Some posts have been edited or removed.

As there appears to be some confusion, links are posted in the Sussex thread when a member submits an item of interest to the British Forum moderating team (Marengo, JessRulz, Zonk, soapstar, Ista, and HRHHermione). After review, the item may be posted in the thread for members to read and discuss. Any member is entitled to submit a link for review. Discussion is welcome, and is after all, the purpose of the forum.

Any questions or concerns about links should be addressed to one of the moderators via PM rather than being brought up in thread. This is one of the Royal Forum rules, and should be familiar to every member.

I think the article massively overestimates the impact of Harry and Meghan's Netflix film on global politics. The views of a relatively unknown commentator on the Commonwealth have no relevance to its members either now or in future. It causes a kerfuffle in the press, some indignant responses and probably some royal annoyance but that's it.

I think the article was more from a U.S. national security perspective, which aligns closely with U.K. national security strategy, though it doesn’t overlap it entirely.

The point was that the Commonwealth as it stands is an association that promotes healthy democracy and democratic development in contrast to authoritarian states like China and Russia which are also competing for global influence. The security experts believe that weakening the Commonwealth is bad overall and believe, with some justification, that Meghan and Harry are doing so without recognizing the impact of their actions.

It’s a provocative argument. I think it’s one worth thinking about more, but it’s pretty far outside of how we normally think about and discuss these issues.
I agree. It's a worthwhile read as it does make a comparison of the Commonwealth and that of China/Russia and the latter's growing influence in Africa and Asia.

After reading the above opinion piece, I find the whole thing ridiculous.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Commonwealth of Nations has always been a voluntary alliance between countries with similar political, economic, social, and cultural goals. It is not one where the members are expected to support the United Kingdom in every decision the latter makes globally, especially if its against their own self-interest. The article discusses how China is putting a lot of money into many African Commonwealth countries in exchange for political backing...which is exactly what the Commonwealth does. I didn't agree with the more than half of African countries abstaining to condemn Russia, but I didn't begrudge them either.

It's becoming a trend now to blame TRH The Sussexes whenever any member of the Commonwealth acts against the British Royal Family, as if an interview or two can change the entire perspective of dozens of independent nations. It's infantilizing. These countries have long, storied histories with the British Royal Family and the former British Empire, and experienced racism long before HRH The Duchess of Sussex was even thought of. If any of the Commonwealth countries openly express grievances against the British Royal Family pertaining to the real suffering caused by their ancestors, then the latter should find a way to address that while forging a new relationship. And if said members align with others for their own economic and political benefits, they should accept it rather than expecting independent nations to behave like British colonies.

In the end, this opinion piece sounds like two people bitter about the United Kingdom's lessening influence in their former colonies while using TRH The Sussexes as scapegoats and ignoring the more complex political, economic, and historical reasons.

When the UK was part of the EU, several British governments tended to neglect the Commonwealth as they focused on Europe. Following Brexit, the UK is now actually moving closer to Commonwealth countries, especially Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, and South Africa. The Sussexes are completely irrelevant in this context.

The Commonwealth is such a success that countries such as Mozambique, Togo and Gabon, which have no historic ties to Britain, have joined it. Some countries have chosen to become republics, but that has no bearing on their membership of Commonwealth. Harry and Meghan are irrelevant to any of this, as they are irrelevant to pretty much everything but themselves.

I think the authors vastly overestimate how much influence Harry and Meghan have on geopolitics. They also give the couple way too much credit in assuming they might think and care about these sorts of issues in the context of their own careers, or adjust their behaviour accordingly.

The Sussexes have a talent for winding people up and they along with the media and various pundits and commentators have found a way to monetize that. But I don’t think they’re driving change even with the social/cultural issues they spend so much time talking about, let alone moving the needle on anything related to foreign policy and diplomacy.

They have no influence on anything. I didn’t recognise the first commentator. Olusoga obviously but he didn’t say anything about the coverage of Meghan that wasn’t at times true. She is entitled to her opinion but her opinions are going to be offensive to many…and she isn’t herself from a commonwealth country, outside the Uk? Perhaps she has a parent or partner who is but she herself is British. And of she is second generation, well then that too is specific viewpoint.

It is a sad truth that journalists, royal, entertainment, news and economics have and will continue to use the Sussex as a basis for any article they want to punt and presumably think the publisher will be willing to pay them for. Sometimes I think the only truth in some media articles is the Sussex name and Harry and Meghan's names.

As to the unresearched spiels about the creation, evolution and future of "The Commonwealth", it never ceases to amaze me how lazy, stupid and just plain ignorant these and other authors are about the reality of being part of the Commonwealth.

It is a sad truth that journalists, royal, entertainment, news and economics have and will continue to use the Sussex as a basis for any article they want to punt and presumably think the publisher will be willing to pay them for. Sometimes I think the only truth in some media articles is the Sussex name and Harry and Meghan's names.

As to the unresearched spiels about the creation, evolution and future of "The Commonwealth", it never ceases to amaze me how lazy, stupid and just plain ignorant these and other authors are about the reality of being part of the Commonwealth.
I’m quite sure the writers are aware of the Commonwealth and how it works. Yes, to a certain extent they have over exaggerated the ramblings of H&M on the subject, but the Sussexes made a rather weak attempt of insulting the purpose of the Commonwealth and Gabon, a new member of Commonwealth called them out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom