The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Six

Commencing August 2021

The previous thread can be found here.
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Last edited:
Reliability of News Sources

To assist in keeping discussions as factual as possible, the moderating team has created the following example list of international news sources and grouped them based on their reliability and previous history to provide factual or correct information.

Please use this list as a guide when viewing and forming opinions on information. If your source is not listed, base the reliability off of a similar source.

Reliable Sources
BBC
The Times / The Sunday Times
The Telegraph
Guardian
People Magazine

Semi-Reliable Sources
The Daily Mail
Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror
Daily Express
The Sun
Vanity Fair

Unreliable Sources
Social Media pages
Page Six
National Enquirer

Last edited:
Due to the constant closures of the Sussex threads up until this point, the moderating team have made the decision to change how we will be facilitating Sussex-related discussions moving forward.

The Sussex News thread will remain closed until a new piece of information or news is published. The thread will then be opened by a moderator, and the thread will remain open for a period of 48hrs for discussion on the news only. Once the 48hr period has ended, the thread will return to its previous closed status.

Should the thread descend into bickering, personal attacks or off-topic commentary during that 48hr period, it will be closed immediately and reset to waiting for a new piece of information/news.

When a new piece of information or news comes through, please PM the entire British Moderating Team who will open the thread for posting.

The negative atmosphere in previous Sussex threads was caused by endless repetitive discussions on things which happened up to four years ago, the Sussex couple's exit from the BRF, over-analysis of their behaviour, and arguments back and forth between those who like and those who dislike the Sussexes. Some lines of discussion were like a dog with a bone, no-one willing to let go of the fight, to the detriment of the thread.

To be brutally honest, these threads were not pleasant to read and the behaviour exhibited childlike. That posters felt themselves above the rules and routinely ignored moderator direction further emphasised this.

As such, the following aspects are considered off-topic going forward:
  • Rehashing of events from 2017-2021, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo. Social media is not a source. All new information must be accompanied by a link to a media outlet.
  • Debates over titles or stripping of titles
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards the subject, other members or the media
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Those who do not comply with these new rules will be suspended, and then banned from TRF if they repeat offend.

These rules apply to ALL Sussex-related threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
On her 40th birthday, Meghan has announced a new project, 40x40, "a campaign encouraging people around the world to give 40 minutes of their time to support women going back to work."
https://www.today.com/popculture/me...issa-mccarthy-celebrate-40th-birthday-t227291

"The Duchess asked 40 activists, athletes, artists, and world leaders to participate by contributing 40 minutes of mentorship to women reentering the workforce.

Those who have put their hands up to help include Adele, US poet laureate Amanda Gorman, Nobel peace prize nominee Amanda Nguyen, author Deepak Chopra, US author and activist Dr Ibram X Kendi, and Stella McCartney."
https://www.standard.co.uk/video/ne...0-project-to-mark-her-40th-birthday-v84931e05

More information and video can be found at Archewell..

Last edited:
This was a really cute video. Really nice initiative. Nice to see Meghan... and I spy with my little eyes Archie and (I think) Lili pictures on her desk at the start of the clip.

Lovely office! And English tea and biscuits! So good to see Meghan and that is a great initiative to be establishing. Re-entering the workforce after Covid unemployment or perhaps part time employment or time away looking after small children, can be an ordeal. It’s good to mentor someone in that situation who may lack confidence. I’ve done it myself and found it very rewarding.

Last edited:
A great way for Meghan to celebrate her 40th birthday with the mentoring partnership.

I love it! I think Meghan has hit on something that a whole lot of women are experiencing and that is going back into the workforce in their 40s. Stay at home moms with the empty nest or a woman experiencing divorce and reentering a single life can and do feel so lost and unsure about how to go into what seems like a totally alien world from their "normal".

Great initiative. I especially like that Deepak Chopra is involved. I love how that man thinks. ?

Good idea, nicely presented and obviously well thought through - a good gift to the women of the world by one of their own. Or so. I hope we will always see Meghan and Harry daring to be more personal (in the fashionable "unpersonal personal" way) in their interactions, as it is both fitting with his heritage and their own positioning. She hopefully doesn't think to run for president but it would be nice to see her sometimes (or even more often) as long as her ideas help others as much as this one. And I like that Eugenie immediately stepped in.

Sounds like a good initiative. I hope it works out well.

I really enjoyed the video with Melissa McCarthy and think it is a wonderful initiative. How does it work in practice, do the people committing to 40 minutes reach out to a charity supporting women or how do they find someone to mentor?

Watching Harry juggling outside the window during the interview with Melissa McCarthy
was hilarious! He was doing quite well... for about two seconds!!!

Watching Harry juggling outside the window during the interview with Melissa McCarthy
was hilarious! He was doing quite well... for about two seconds!!!

When I first saw the photo, I thought Harry was a guy washing the windows!

:previous: Now that's Harry the way I love seeing him and his antics fit perfectly with what Meghan was doing with Melissa McCarthy. I was looking at Meghan's to-die-for desk and office and laughed that she had used a pile of books to raise her laptop to use for 'Face Time' or 'Zoom'. I guess she'd been signing a bunch.

Looking at perfectly stacked books I thought it showed that she likes things 'squared away' but not sterile which was something I remembered from an early shot of her Canadian home. She seems to like a restful, slightly minimalist but what I imagine the Californian version of Hygge would look like for her home.

As to the Birthday Idea? Wonderful, and so many strong women who will inevitably attract other strong women to mentor other women returning to the workforce. It's almost the visual of a self-supporting prophecy. I can imagine there are those that end up spending more than 40 minutes with any one woman.

Having been in that situation myself I cannot begin to imagine how much the support of a strong, successful woman would have been. Oh I know there are those that will scoff and say how can a successful woman relate to a woman who is suddenly a solo mother, a divorcee, a widow all with limited skills or confidence, yet Meghan's venture into 'Smart Works' was as down to earth as you can get.

Best of all, her work for women started long before she was 'The Duchess of Sussex', she was Meghan Markle and she used what fame or stardom she had to promote the cause of Feminism and I don't mean burning her bra! I could never understand why so many women never understood that it was a derogatory put-down promoted by the (almost totally male) media.

Article below courtesy of Muhler:

AP Interview: Reddy says Harry, Meghan mulled New Zealand

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — The queen’s representative in New Zealand said Prince Harry and Meghan discussed moving to the South Pacific country during their 2018 visit, more than a year before the couple stepped back from royal duties and moved to the United States.

“I remember they’d just been down to the Abel Tasman National Park when we sat down and had a drink, and they said that they could imagine living in a place like this and wondered whether we thought it would be theoretically possible. Even possible for them to have a place in New Zealand.

“Of course, we said ‘Sure. It would be fine. There are lots of opportunities to live in New Zealand, but that would be something that they’d have to explore,’” Reddy said. “They were looking at how they might raise their family. And, obviously, they’ve made some decisions since.”

https://apnews.com/article/health-a...eghan-markle-1f4a5a407f5f106ec40fab0edcd96eb6

Not surprising to me. They did always say their first priority was to move to and continue their work in another Commonwealth country but scrapped it when the BRF somehow didn't find that doable. They obviously ended up going with Canada but I think there was talk of South Africa at some point as well?

Interesting interview with Governor-General of New Zealand Patsy Reddy, not just Harry & Meghan's thoughts on living in New Zealand, but also on the subject of constitutional monarchy.

The Sussexes won't be the first to live in New Zealand if they choose to do so. Lady Davina Windsor and Gary Lewis (now divorced) at one point after marriage have decided to raise their children there. I'm not sure about now. This is the latest article I could find about them.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...rom-lady-davina-windsor-after-14year-marriage

Last edited:
It appears H&M were considering leaving the UK as early as October 2018, around 5 months after their wedding.

The only significant new information is that they were already considering a move out of the UK in 2018.

I agree, it is the timing of this conversation that will led credibility to the notion that they really did not try very long after getting married before they started to look for options to leave the UK. This reported conversation took place 5 months after their wedding. It should also be noticed that, until then, the press narrative had largely been a very positive and supportive one.

Yeah, I think it's the timing that matters here. I'd love for some Brits to chime in on this: could they reasonably have intended to remain as full-time royals while living in a Commonwealth country, perhaps with the intent of preserving the Commonwealth in the future? If they'd been so inclined, I think they could have done a lot to keep Australia and New Zealand "in the fold," so to speak, while being based there. Maybe if Australians and New Zealanders had their own royals who did things like hand out youth awards and open senior centers as a full-time job, instead of just popping in for a tour every few years, they'd attach more value to the monarchy and be more in favor of keeping it around. At least, I could understand the palace and Harry/Meghan thinking along those lines.

I'm trying to be fair and attribute good motives here if possible. But in combination with everything else, it does seem like they began planning their escape almost immediately after their marriage - before any offensive media coverage of the pregnancy (which was only announced just before the tour) or much of anything else, probably before any discussions with the family about Archie's skin color or security (they wouldn't have had time to set all this out between the pregnancy announcement and the tour), and without having "tried to make it work for two years," as they've previously claimed.

Frankly, if anything, it lends credence to the people who were questioning their commitment pre-marriage to being fulltime royals based on the offhand comment they made in the Oprah interview about being uncertain for two years before they debuted their website. No one was quite sure when the two years began but it seems pretty clear that the discussions began pre-wedding. In retrospect, it's obvious that both the Australia/New Zealand trip in Oct 2018 and the South Africa trip in Sept 2019 were attempts by the BRF to keep the Sussexes in the fold and at least living in a Commonwealth nation.

Prince Harry has issued a statement about veterans of the Afghanistan war:

Prince Harry urges military veterans to 'support one another' amid Afghanistan crisis
The Duke of Sussex served in the Army for ten years

AUGUST 17, 2021 - 09:53 BST
DANIELLE STACEY
The Duke of Sussex has urged military veterans to "offer support for one another" amid the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan.

Prince Harry, 36, issued a joint statement on Monday in his role as patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, which helps soldiers through their recovery via international sports competitions.

The Duke served in the Army for ten years, during which time he carried out two frontline tours of Afghanistan.

Complete article here: https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...ations&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=1277539

Courtesy: Blog Real

Let’s not forget Harry served two tours of duty in Afghanistan, and if anybody is entitled to speak out about the situation in Afghanistan and what has happened ref the Taliban takeover it is vets who served there. In his last tour he saw body bags and transported wounded and maimed.

Of course Harry is angry and distressed. A friend of mine, who saw a mate badly wounded over there is as well. Some of his fellow vets are saying it was all for nothing now and many of us ordinary folks who have never been to the region are thinking of the situation with the women and girls especially as well. Lots of people want to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - all it took was 15 minutes for the thread to turn off-topic. Must be a record.

And with that, we have our first non-timed closure of this thread.

The Duke of Sussex appeared via video link at the 24th GQ Men of the Year Awards at Tate Modern in London yesterday evening, September 1, to present the climactic award to Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert, Dr Catherine Green and the entire Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine team:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** gq-magazine article: Prince Harry: ‘The Oxford Team have done their part. They are heroes of the highest order’ **

** standard article: Duke of Sussex blames ‘mass-scale misinformation’ for vaccine hesitancy **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom