The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If true (seems a rather likely scenario), this only goes to show that even in court, moreover, in a case she herself started (!), she is willing to lie and mislead people as long as she thinks she won't get caught.

Goodbye to any ethical or moral high ground... Manipulation and dishonesty aren't desirable characteristics in anyone and certainly not if you've made it part of your profile fighting that exact same thing.

Did you notice how she tried once again to evoke sympathy by presenting herself as a grieving mother? Why else would she bring her miscarriage? IMO, it was done to make people see her not as a perjurer but a sufferer. Which is ridiculous, IMO. Many criminals have kids and if court let every parent off the hook, half the prisons would be empty.

Meghan is once again trying to create a certain impression. She might be a perjurer and a grieving mother. The second doesn't entitle her to become the first. Sure, she isn't saying, "I lost my baby, so why are you tormenting me as well?" but it's implied. A lot like their "lie not lie" stratefy with FF.

I’m not sure that average people in Western nations sit down to breakfast each morning for literally every day for about four years wondering what negative articles in the media will be coming out about them.

In fact I don’t think that any average Briton or European would have any conception of the stresses and strains of royal life has on those not born into it, and that would indeed impact on a foreign high profile royal in a new country with a very new lifestyle.

I'm sure the average people in Western nations do not sit down wondering about negative articles. But I am also sure that Meghan isn't sitting down every day wondering about whether she has enough money to pay for the latest school trip, whether she is going to be laid off, or whether she can miss work to take care of a sick child.

Meghan has stressors average people don't have but we have stressor she doesn't have. Meghan insists on living in the public eye and negative articles is part of the price she pays.

I wouldn't actually know - none of us would - but I suspect that most celebrities don't spend every breakfast worrying about that day's headlines. Maybe politicians do, because their careers depend on it, but not Hollywood types. Just because you're famous doesn't mean you have to obsess over media coverage. That doesn't mean they're happy about it, but I don't think it's possible to spend decades in the public eye without developing a thicker skin than that.

What's more, most of Meghan's stressors are self-inflicted at this point. They had more than enough money to quiet, luxurious, peaceful life had they chosen to go that route, and the media would have forgotten about them soon enough. Very few people have that as an option. But for whatever reason, no matter how much they complain about the downsides of the celebrity lifestyle, they just can't walk away from it.

Because Meghan, I think, thinks she can game any system. She's an uber-Leo and thinks she can have fame, riches, and a prince, a royal title gained from doing almost nothing, the power to play in US politics at the highest level, and at the same time believes (or insists) everyone will treat her daintily and with kid gloves because that's how a fair and compassionate world would be.

So hungry for a good image that she'll lie and manipulate rather than just...do good deeds and not shoot herself and Harry in the foot? :/ Seems like.

"They can be disconcertedly passive and dependent in their relationship, as if they want to disappear into the union, but they can also be overly protective and passive/aggressive, hovering over their Beloved like the proverbial mother hen. Even in the best of circumstances these Lovers are susceptible to periods of self-pity and unrealistic thinking." — And a few more things that seem familiar. (this is what Meghan has according to her chart.)

Last edited:
The MoS quite obviously wish to win the case in the courts, otherwise they would not have continued with the appeal but would simply have interviewed Knauf and included his emails in their articles.

This may be a big story now with the negative implications for Meghan. However, if she wins this appeal and again insists on an apology from the MoS on its front page that may well stop much of the cock a hooping among the British tabloids at the moment.

Let's not forget Lord Rothermere initiated movement for the DM/MoS to go private not too long ago. He saw all of this coming.

I wouldn't actually know - none of us would - but I suspect that most celebrities don't spend every breakfast worrying about that day's headlines. Maybe politicians do, because their careers depend on it, but not Hollywood types. Just because you're famous doesn't mean you have to obsess over media coverage. That doesn't mean they're happy about it, but I don't think it's possible to spend decades in the public eye without developing a thicker skin than that.

What's more, most of Meghan's stressors are self-inflicted at this point. They had more than enough money to quiet, luxurious, peaceful life had they chosen to go that route, and the media would have forgotten about them soon enough. Very few people have that as an option. But for whatever reason, no matter how much they complain about the downsides of the celebrity lifestyle, they just can't walk away from it.

Harry and Meghan could have had what many people would consider the best of both worlds after stepping away from the core of the Royal Family. The financial security, connections and opportunities would remain, but the need to maintain visibility as well as an ongoing working relationship with the press would be gone. They could have picked any major American city and disappeared into it. It would have taken awhile for the British press to calm down, but as long as Harry and Meghan kept a low profile they could have gotten to the point where the amount of press coverage they got, positive or negative, was limited in nature.

If they found the press and tabloid coverage to be as unbearable as they say, they should have just walked away from it all.

I look at someone like Adele, one of the biggest, if not the biggest musical artist of the past decade, and she just disappears between albums. She pops up randomly every once in awhile but, for the most part, she’s completely off the radar until she needs to make the rounds to promote her new work. If she can do it, so can Harry and Meghan. But obviously that nice, peaceful, semi-anonymous life isn’t what they want. Which is fine, but the very visible life they do want comes with intense press coverage as part of the deal.

Except that the most extreme and hateful Press coverage isn’t coming from where the Sussexes have been living since the Spring of 2020 but from across the Atlantic. The fact that Meghan and Harry have chosen to live happily in the US in some luxury with their children appears to have driven the British media pack almost to hysteria. And that is despite the fact that neither Harry nor Meghan are receiving a penny from British taxpayers or Charles for anything any more so there’s not even that excuse.

It’s not by and large the US Press or California TV stations that’s haunting the couple day after day with nasty articles and online shows day by day but the British. So it seems that even living a world away on the west coast of another country doesn’t get the tabloids off your back if you’re Meghan and Harry.

Last edited:
I think Meghan may have underestimated the BRF's "long view". The somewhat soft response to the Oprah interview could have been a clue.

The BRF may have known Mr. Knauf's situation and documentation and knew it was in the hopper, ready to pop up in the future.

So yes, they might win the copywrite lawsuit, but during the legal procedings the Sussexes or other people released quite a lot of information as well, and a lot of it was not positive at all. The whole thing is widely covered by international media, also not really in a positive light, seeing as there are already a few articles pointing out a possible perjury by Meghan.

It reminds me of fergies pictures poolside with her lover. She did sue and win over the fact that her privacy was indeed invaded but what do we remember about that today, The lawsuit over privacy invasion or the pictures ?

Those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it and also not too bright

But they were photographs, and what’s more photos that made Fergie notorious because of the toe-sucking incident. Photographers with long lenses were always snapping away where they shouldn’t in the 1980s and 90s. That was pre-Leveson. Quite a difference between a father handing over a private letter from his daughter to a tabloid.

But they were photographs, and what’s more photos that made Fergie notorious because of the toe-sucking incident. Photographers with long lenses were always snapping away where they shouldn’t in the 1980s and 90s. That was pre-Leveson. Quite a difference between a father handing over a private letter from his daughter to a tabloid.

I think the issue is the forgetfulness on cooperation with a book in any material way. Saying one thing and then admitting the opposite is issue. If you are doing it in a court setting or documents then it’s problematic. If Andrew next year lies on a deposition or the stand would that be okay ?

It becomes an issue can I believe anything you say. The answer must be no

It’s not by and large the US Press or California TV stations that’s haunting the couple day after day with nasty articles and online shows day by day but the British. So it seems that even living a world away on the west coast of another country doesn’t get the tabloids off your back if you’re Meghan and Harry.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but, believe me, the British press do not worry about Harry and Meghan except when they choose to put themselves in the public eye. If you choose to lie in court, or if you choose to tell a pack of lies in a TV interview by claiming that your son has been denied a title because of his ethnicity when he was never entitled to the said title in the first place, or if you claim that you were cut off financially by your father when his accounts show clearly that he was giving you millions of pounds, you have to expect press coverage, and you have to expect that to be negative coverage. End of.

On an average day, the press do not mention two people who have little relevance to anyone other than themselves. Why would they? There are many far more important things to write about. There may well be a lot of rubbish online, but there's a lot of rubbish online about a lot of things.

No-one is in a "frenzy" about Harry and Meghan. They're really not that important.

Let me just glance through my copy of my "tabloid" newspaper, which has just arrived. On the front page, a picture of the Queen and an article about the pressures on the health service caused by Covid. Next two pages, articles about Armistice Day events. Then two more pages about Covid. We've also got the situation on the Poland-Belarus border, the COP26 summit, an article about women being nervous about driving at night, an obituary for FW de Klerk, an article about Harry Styles, a picture of Kylie Minogue, something about a TV presenter changing channels, the build-up to England's World Cup qualifier, a picture of Sophie with some guide dogs ... I assure you that there is no "frenzy" about Harry and Meghan. The only mention of them is in a single column article on an inside page, and that's just reporting what was said in court.

Last edited:
To be fair, now there *is* going to be frenzy about Harry and Meghan. It isn't every day that the Queen's grandson is caught planning to lie to people in a way that doesn't look like a lie. It isn't every day that the Queen's granddaughter in-law is caught "forgetting" a thing before court.

And this isn't the tabloids' fault. It's the fault of the people who planned to lie, lied and kept "forgetting".

How many times did Meghan "amend" her statement? Why if not because she forgot, didn't mean to mislead, didn't mean to say what she said? IMO, she grew bold and decided that she was untouchable. Why shouldn't she? The worst that happened before when she "forgot" was a deferential, "Your Royal Highness, would you please try to remember and include the memory in your next amendment of your sworn statement?"

There is plenty about Harry and Meghan daily in the online editions of the London tabloids and online elsewhere, as I see rubbishy stories every day in those ‘newspapers’. I know the print dailies don’t write that much about the Sussexes but online they certainly do.

So it's a question of whether Harry's self-admitted bad habit of reading his own tabloid press leaked over to Meghan or they simply encouraged each other. Because otherwise it appears they could have led far more peaceful lives — especially on a different continent.

One could look at it in a different way and ask why are these London tabloids constantly producing these negative tales about a couple who live on the other side of a different continent.

And it doesn’t just happen when the couple aren’t out and about. When they were living in Canada and were first in LA they were hardly seen or heard but the negative stories still kept coming day after day.

The most problematic thing for me has been Meghan's recently revealed directive to Jason to point out to the "Finding Freedom" authors that her half-siblings dropped out of high school and that her half-sister Samantha was denied custody of her children she had by "different fathers."

This implies a personal prejudicial judgment on Meghan's part that does not square with her public charitable profile.

One might expect the two Markle half-siblings to be wild cards in a way, and maybe welcome it, but jeez, you'd think that a new member of the Royal Family would know better than to encourage authors to delve into the lack of education of family members or hint at irregular birth circumstances. This would help no one.

Last edited:
Perhaps not but Meghan had been the subject of Samantha Markle’s innuendo and bile since October 2016 when her half sister immediately began attacking her on her Twitter Page as soon as she realised Meghan was dating Prince Harry.

By 2018 she was probably fed up to the back teeth with this estranged relative she hadn’t seen for years constantly getting money for interviews with British shows and tabloids in which she was constantly putting her down. A natural reaction for Meghan to adopt with someone she had no relationship with at all.

So it's a question of whether Harry's self-admitted bad habit of reading his own tabloid press leaked over to Meghan or they simply encouraged each other. Because otherwise it appears they could have led far more peaceful lives — especially on a different continent.

I think it's clear that they both read an awful lot of what's said about them. Both from what they personally say and the apparent clapbacks that appear from their favoured sources about relatively minor things. E.g. They claimed that they were "too busy doing humanitarian things" to attend the Met Gala when the press were saying they didn't get an invite.

It can't be a healthy way to live, especially if you're already both deal with mental health struggles. They could both have a very productive, more private, happy lives together without feeling the need to put out a press release every week or worry about what people on SM are saying about them. They could even do that whilst doing things like BetterUp and Netflix etc but they seem determined to reveal in the drama as much as the press do.

I still do wish them well and I actually hope they find constructive things to do that make them happy more often. Rather than so much of this year blaming everyone else.

Perhaps not but Meghan had been the subject of Samantha Markle’s innuendo and bile since October 2016 when her half sister immediately began attacking her on her Twitter Page as soon as she realised Meghan was dating Prince Harry.

By 2018 she was probably fed up to the back teeth with this estranged relative she hadn’t seen for years constantly getting money for interviews with British shows and tabloids in which she was constantly putting her down. A natural reaction for Meghan to adopt with someone she had no relationship with at all.

Of course. Both Samantha and Thomas have been vile.

The worrisome issue with what Meghan briefed is that high school drop-outs and needy women with children by different fathers are precisely the kinds of people she seems to want to help and nurture. If Meghan is pointing out these particular personal circumstances as faults in character and personal failures in her family members, which she seems to be doing, it might be a problem going forward in many of the charity arenas she aspires to.

I think it's clear that they both read an awful lot of what's said about them. Both from what they personally say and the apparent clapbacks that appear from their favoured sources about relatively minor things. E.g. They claimed that they were "too busy doing humanitarian things" to attend the Met Gala when the press were saying they didn't get an invite.
I'm sorry, this is the first time I'm hearing of this and I'm floored. They said WHAT?
The most problematic thing for me has been Meghan's recently revealed directive to Jason to point out to the "Finding Freedom" authors that her half-siblings dropped out of high school and that her half-sister Samantha was denied custody of her children she had by "different fathers."

This implies a personal prejudicial judgment on Meghan's part that does not square with her public charitable profile.

One might expect the two Markle half-siblings to be wild cards in a way, and maybe welcome it, but jeez, you'd think that a new member of the Royal Family would know better than to encourage authors to delve into the lack of education of family members or hint at irregular birth circumstances. This would help no one.
Yes, one would think a new member of BRF would try to keep the authors far, FAR away from their half-siblings. Because yes, there's a story there. But that story does not make Meghan look good.

I completely agree also with some posters noticing that Meghan was atacking her half-siblings, who are in very similar position to the people the Sussexes want to help. Ironic.
One could look at it in a different way and ask why are these London tabloids constantly producing these negative tales about a couple who live on the other side of a different continent.

And it doesn’t just happen when the couple aren’t out and about. When they were living in Canada and were first in LA they were hardly seen or heard but the negative stories still kept coming day after day.
While I understand that you're very sympathetic towards the couple, and at moments they did get an unfair coverage in the tabloids, many of their own actions kept them in tabloids and on the front pages of many newspapers.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows with them. If they wanted a peaceful life, they could have had it. But they started their "free" life with attacking the Royal Family (while cashing in on this connection), commenting on ridiculous rumors (like the MET Gala one), forgetting quite vital details for their court case (which they have started by suing MoS) and many others. This situation just brings back the memory of watching Michelle Obama saying "when they go low, we go high" and how far the Sussexes are from that.

I am amazed at how much my opinion of Meghan has changed from the very beginning. It seemed like when she was marrying into the BRF that this was a woman of character that was a strong, independent type woman that would rather be a woman that works over a lady that lunches (her words). Now as more and more comes out of Meghan's mouth, I'm tending to see a woman that is insecure, emotionally fragile and one not overly willing to cop to her own mistakes truthfully and is still willing to push the blame onto other people and other circumstances. It's not a good look for Meghan. Not at all. All this may seriously damage how people will want to interact with Meghan and also, more importantly, with Archewell.

Maybe the BRF did dodge a huge bullet with Megxit? Perhaps they're better off now with both Harry and Meghan on their own doing whatever they want to do?
They're free to sink or swim however they choose to go forward but one thing is certain. Once a reputation is tarnished, no amount of buffing can ever get rid of the tarnish.

Once again. Reputation is everything and Meghan surely hasn't done much to present herself in a good light with the recent developments. There is no amount of money that could be won in a lawsuit that could ever patch up the public opinion of Meghan after this court case and Harry's not doing himself any favors here either.

Of course, if money from lawsuits is one way to plan on beefing up their finances, I expect more and more of this kind of lawsuit to be brought to the courts by Harry and Meghan. How many lawsuits have there already been and are these two on their way to being termed as serial litigants?

Stay tuned.... I'm sure there's more that is going to hit the fan as this continues. It actually is getting kind of tiresome to me.

The BIB is the contradiction on whether is a strong independent feminist or a fragile women that continues to confuse me. Even in her apologies for misleading court, she seems to be not really owning up to her mistake. It's not because she "forgot" the email, but she seems to be blaming her forgetfulness on stress from her pregnancy and miscarriage. Whilst I'm not denying that her mental health took a toll from these events, but that does not excuse her from giving different versions of events on Finding Freedom with evidence backed up by emails. Some cynics and critics have argued that Meghan has committed perjury whilst continue to play the victim.

What makes the whole situation worse is that Meghan should theoretically be finding it easier in dealing with the press and tabloid, compared to other "married-in" Royals who had no experience in public life.

The mantra "never complain, never explain" now becomes clearer than ever.

I agree with you that the Royal Family probably did dodge a bullet with Harry & Meghan leaving as working royals. Despite the evidence from the email that Jason Knauf was trying to help Meghan, she stated that she felt "unsupported" by the (Royal Family) institution. What is the point of the Palace staff giving advice in the right direction if the Sussexes continuously ignore them? As other posters have stated, the Sussexes appeared to felt supported only if their staff agrees with them. Sometimes, one cannot surround themselves with "yes man" who often do not have his/her best interest. It's those who are willing to correct or critique the decisions that are.

Last edited:
I still do wish them well and I actually hope they find constructive things to do that make them happy more often. Rather than so much of this year blaming everyone else.

I'm sure everyone would like to see them do something constructive. Telling lies on probably the most high profile talk show in the world, bringing legal cases every five minutes, making negative comments about the American political system, claiming that your family are in a cycle of "genetic pain" and now lying in court is anything but. It surely can't be healthy for them and it's hurtful towards other people.

Again, what a contrast between Harry, Meghan and all the Markles on the one hand, and quiet, dignified Doria Ragland on the other.

As other posters have stated, the Sussexes appeared to felt supported only if their staff agrees with them. Sometimes, one cannot surround themselves with "yes man" who often do not have his/her best interest. It's those who are willing to correct or critique the decisions that are.
Scobie stated it outright. He wrote that Meghan was an efficient woman who knew how things should be run. Meghan herself has stated that her staff couldn't keep up with her requirements and didn't seem to grasp how she wanted things to run.

And now, her way has landed her into resorting to her health of state as a reason for deceiving court and basically into a "I lost my baby and everyone else is guilty for my lies because the defendant and the court didn't care for poor little me" line of defense. This time, she didn't need Jason Knauf to remind her to include health, as he did with her letter to her father when she forgot.

Last edited:
I mean if we being honest -- once this is done that will kind of be all she has to think about in terms of the UK press. She barely does now. This is the most interaction she has had and that is due to having to legally do it.

The coverage of this in the states has been basically non existent. And the coverage I did see still was pretty sympathetic toward her. Might be because it is the Daily Fail and her history with them in well known. The tabloids will always write about her but now she not in the thick of it.

It is wild to think this has been going on for 3 years though,

Just saw something on a morning show called "Morning Joe" and it wasn't sympathetic toward her in the least. She lied.

Last edited:
"All a mess and a muddle".

So much is a mystery to me. 1.I'd have thought the copyright issue was absolutely straightforward. Meghan owns the copyright and didn't give consent for its publication, therefore the MoS is guilty. Whether Meghan wrote it expecting her father would leak it is irrelevant. How on earth is the court allowing all these other items to be raised?

2. The tabloids were and are vile to Meghan (and her father has repeatedly sold her out for money so she was perfectly justified in my opinion in cutting him out of her life) but what I don't get is why she and Harry let the Press and social media get to them. Why read it? What should have mattered was that they were getting positive responses from the crowds that came to see them, both here and on tour. Surely that's what mattered. They could have done such good but from all we've learned it seems that from very early on they were not prepared to live with the restrictions that come with a life within the RF.

They could have left and done their humanitarian work but the adoption of perpetual victimhood, the Oprah and podcast lies and half truths, the trashing of the RF and now this wholly unnecessary trial has turned many in the UK against them. It's so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom