The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I've pondered the question of why this tour was necessary and I still have absolutely no good answer for that other than to drum up publicity for themselves. Make no mistake, this absolutely is a tour. Meeting dignitaries (even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded), posing for photo ops, starting the day off with a visit to a school (why, they're not experts in some educational field, etc.), and having a massive security detail (even if they aren't paying for it themselves). These are all hallmarks of a royal tour and they very much appear to be trying to give the impression and illusion of a pseudo-royal visit. It does appear to be quite self-aggrandizing, self-important, and publicity hungry.

All in all it's ridiculous. There's an awful lot of celebrities involved in the event they're there to attend and not one of them is creating this kind of circus around themselves and pretending to be anything but exactly what they are but then again, that's exactly what these two do best. I doubt very much that any American taxpayer, including myself, would be absolutely thrilled to be on the hook for security for these two who are, for all intents and purposes, nobody special. Yes, they're celebrities but celebrities are on the hook for their own security. They're not foreign dignitaries, they're not world leaders, they're not heads of state. They're celebrities who are famous but certainly not for their talents as we see with the other celebrities involved.
This. It just seems a little much for people who are representing no one but themselves (even if some US outlets do seem a little confused my that).

I think they have intentions to do good but they showed up at a school with a presidential style motorcade in a $7000 outfit to read her own book, deliver two boxes of vegetables, some toiletries from Proctor and Gamble and some Nooks. A lovely gesture but they *are* attempting to role play royal visits and hoping no one peeps under the curtain.

They can obviously do what they like, that's up to them, their connections, the people they meet and Sunshine Sachs, and if the US wants to pay for a fleet of security that is their business. It's just interesting to see it happen as most people who leave royal life, especially so acrimoniously, don't try to essentially keep doing it on their own terms.

Especially as Harry said specifically that he didn't like carrying out royal engagements in May.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy

Harry and Meghan's big night out in the Big Apple: Royal couple leave the kids in LA and enjoy drinks at swanky bar with friends Misha Nonoo and Mikey Hess inside their $1,300-a-night Carlyle Hotel to kick-start three-day visit to New York

Old 09-24-2021, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Visiting one state is not a "tour".

And they never said that they would go away. They are living their lives and promoting their goals, which I think are good ones.

It seems that some people just want them to disappear and go away completely and will never be happy with whatever they do.
I agree that visiting one state is not a tour nor do I want them to "go away completely. "

However based upon Price Harry's remarks in interviews (South Africa) and his recent mental health program that these types of high profile events with extensive media presence were causing him stress and had a negative impact upon his mental health. I am then curious as to why he is participating if he shared that he is bothered by camera clicks which remind him of what his mother faced?
Old 09-24-2021, 01:53 PM
Administrator

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex today, September 24:

** rex gallery **

** dm article: Red hot! Meghan Markle wraps up yet again in a $5840 Loro Piana berry cashmere coat..**

** dm article: Read the room! Meghan and Harry arrive to Harlem school where 94% get free meals ..**
Old 09-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Commoner

Oh, I love the visit to the Harlem school! Maybe it's because their school uniforms look very similar to my old ones, but HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's visit reminded me a lot of when the benefactors of my old private school would come and hang out with the children for a day. I also love how, like Global Citizen, this event feeds into HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's personal platform of global literacy and health. Are they also doing it to promote themselves? Yeah. But no one, from common American celebrities to worldwide politicians to the noblest royal houses do things purely for altruism. I'm of the mind that helping others is always good, no matter the spirit it's done in.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I've pondered the question of why this tour was necessary and I still have absolutely no good answer for that other than to drum up publicity for themselves. Make no mistake, this absolutely is a tour. Meeting dignitaries (even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded), posing for photo ops, starting the day off with a visit to a school (why, they're not experts in some educational field, etc.), and having a massive security detail (even if they aren't paying for it themselves). These are all hallmarks of a royal tour and they very much appear to be trying to give the impression and illusion of a pseudo-royal visit. It does appear to be quite self-aggrandizing, self-important, and publicity hungry.

All in all it's ridiculous. There's an awful lot of celebrities involved in the event they're there to attend and not one of them is creating this kind of circus around themselves and pretending to be anything but exactly what they are but then again, that's exactly what these two do best. I doubt very much that any American taxpayer, including myself, would be absolutely thrilled to be on the hook for security for these two who are, for all intents and purposes, nobody special. Yes, they're celebrities but celebrities are on the hook for their own security. They're not foreign dignitaries, they're not world leaders, they're not heads of state. They're celebrities who are famous but certainly not for their talents as we see with the other celebrities involved.
Then very little any royal does is particularly necessary. I see no discrepancy between this visit and how they've always said they wanted to use their platform – regardless of whether or not they were allowed to do so representing QEII.

"Even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded". Demanded? What kind of power do you suggest the Sussexes yield to be able to force through meetings with dignitaries?

As for the latter paragraph, I fail to see how you can pin that on the Sussexes. Even if they had requested security (which I don't think they have), no one's putting a gun to anyone's face forcing them to accept a such request.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now my memory is having a day off and have left me with no recollection of the actual events that happened, but I seem to recall a trip by Harry (once upon a time) to the US where he met several US dignitaries, attended some function for HALO and perhaps a few more side events.

This is reminiscent of Harry doing a "tour" for his own personal passions although at the time, he *was* a working royal for his monarch and her government.

Whether being tagged as royals or celebrities, planning and executing events to further the goals of both the royal/celebrity and the causes they're appearing for is a normal, everyday occurrence and this NY trip is no different.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan went to lunch at Melba's in Harlem and donated $25K to her.

https://twitter.com/MelbasHarlem/sta...01603018653701
Old 09-24-2021, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Harry and Meghan went to lunch at Melba's in Harlem and donated $25K to her.

https://twitter.com/MelbasHarlem/sta...01603018653701
Anyone other than me notice that the media reports during this trip have focused a lot on monetary amounts? To me, it's overkill. I don't need to know the cost of a hotel room, a lunch or a total price estimation of it all. It's nice that they donated 25K to Melba but, in a way, it's once again focusing on cold, hard cash more than anything.

Just thoughts.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I was curious to see how the event was covered by the New York press.

The Daily News and the New York Times there is not a piece on it at all - I suppose they might cover events later but nothing yet.

Only piece in the New York Post is a comment section about "NY pols fawn over ‘tourists’: Stop treating Harry & Meghan like royalty"

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/new-yo...meghan-markle/

I noticed the NY Post headline but didn't read the article.
"Clueless California Tourists Visit NYC" so I figured it wasn't an admiring article.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Anyone other than me notice that the media reports during this trip have focused a lot on monetary amounts? To me, it's overkill. I don't need to know the cost of a hotel room, a lunch or a total price estimation of it all. It's nice that they donated 25K to Melba but, in a way, it's once again focusing on cold, hard cash more than anything.

Just thoughts.
That is the UK press obsessing over their wardrobe and hotel costs. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan. Also not sure why they care since they nor UK tax payers are footing the bill. Now them donating to Melba's is different but that is literally the only one that comes from them. Unless I have missed something else?
Old 09-24-2021, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That is the UK press obsessing over their wardrobe and hotel costs. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan. Also not sure why they care since they nor UK tax payers are footing the bill. Now them donating to Melba's is different but that is literally the only one that comes from them. Unless I have missed something else?
My sentiments exactly. Actually, I would think that the 25K donation would be something that both the Sussexes/Sunshine Sachs and the organization itself would want released into the public domain as it points to and alludes that this organization is well worth donating to. The other stuff is totally unnecessary.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I was curious to see how the event was covered by the New York press.

The Daily News and the New York Times there is not a piece on it at all - I suppose they might cover events later but nothing yet.

Only piece in the New York Post is a comment section about "NY pols fawn over ‘tourists’: Stop treating Harry & Meghan like royalty"

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/new-yo...meghan-markle/

The author really has a way with words. Lol

It was entertaining to read just for the word choices. It wasn’t kind, but it was anything but a dull read.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
This. It just seems a little much for people who are representing no one but themselves (even if some US outlets do seem a little confused my that).

I think they have intentions to do good but they showed up at a school with a presidential style motorcade in a $7000 outfit to read her own book, deliver two boxes of vegetables, some toiletries from Proctor and Gamble and some Nooks. A lovely gesture but they *are* attempting to role play royal visits and hoping no one peeps under the curtain.

They can obviously do what they like, that's up to them, their connections, the people they meet and Sunshine Sachs, and if the US wants to pay for a fleet of security that is their business. It's just interesting to see it happen as most people who leave royal life, especially so acrimoniously, don't try to essentially keep doing it on their own terms.

Especially as Harry said specifically that he didn't like carrying out royal engagements in May.

Very well said imo.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Just thoughts.
They do it for everyone whether royalty, politicians, celebrities or members of the public: Jane Doe (53) wearing a £35 Topshop dress.

It's annoying but it's got nothing to do with the Sussexes specifically or who is paying for it.

Quote:
Whether being tagged as royals or celebrities, planning and executing events to further the goals of both the royal/celebrity and the causes they're appearing for is a normal, everyday occurrence and this NY trip is no different.
Normal every day occurrences don't get DHS motorcades. It is worth acknowledging that this is an unusual "tour" on several levels whether a person approves of it or not. Most royals who leave royal life or aren't "working royals" don't go around doing private tours on their own behalf - there are several other royals living in NYC right now.

Most billionaires with foundations don't bring their own photographers to meetings or make it known they handed out vegetables.

Most celebs don't get Head of State level protection, treatment or the governor giving them a private photo op. There are dozens of celebrities who are appearing for Vax Life tomorrow, Harry and Meghan are the only ones doing what they're doing right now.

It's also interesting because like them or not they don't really have anything but themselves to offer - apart from the glimmer of royalty. They don't have the usual foundation money or decades of experience in politics, they're not musicians or sports stars and they don't represent anything greater than themselves - no diplomats following behind them. They're costing the city more than they're giving back in donations. (No they aren't the only ones).

It will be interesting to see if they can segue this into anything more concrete. And I don't mean that in a bad way.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry met with the President of Angola, João Lourenço in New York City this afternoon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAFaeJTV...jpg&name=large
Old 09-24-2021, 07:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

Harry and Meghan also donated a much-needed washer and dryer to this school, something practical that will be used for many years to come.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I don’t think they’re being royal on their own terms. They’re being celebrities who happen to be royal. No matter what the couple may say now or in the future, this is very much not the half in/half out arrangement they initially demanded. They wanted to remain senior working royals but also to be given the free time (and funding) to do other things, likely the very celebrity lifestyle things we see them doing now. They did not envision themselves having to hustle to make it as full time celebrity do gooders in the US after being quickly and completely cut off from official royal life in the UK.

They also wouldn’t be appearing with high profile American politicians if the Royal Family or the UK government had any real opposition to them doing so. If the couple hadn’t so thoroughly burned their bridges in the UK, these sorts of appearances could have been potentially problematic. By being so public and so vicious in their repudiation of the BRF and what it represents, they broadcast their loss of official status loud and clear. I doubt the BRF cares if Harry and Meghan want to be Brangelina 2.0, as long as there’s no danger of them being treated as people who represent the Queen or her government.
I think your wrong, I don't think the Queen, the UK Government or anyone else has a handle on what they do anymore.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think your wrong, I don't think the Queen, the UK Government or anyone else has a handle on what they do anymore.
I don’t think they have any control over things like the Oprah interview or the podcast whining but I believe they do have a significant amount of control over how much exposure the Sussexes get to high level American politicians, or their close connections (someone like Chelsea Clinton, for example). Those sorts of meetings generally wouldn’t happen if the BRF or government were opposed to them. Which isn’t to say they’re promoting what the Sussexes are doing, but rather that, right now, they don’t feel there’s any compelling reason to exert effort to stop them.

If Harry and Meghan want to sustain these roles as high profile, politically connected celebrity philanthropists, they’ll need to start policing their own behaviour. Too many incoherent public meltdowns or transatlantic family spats and these photo ops they want so much will dry up pretty quick. Which is all to say that if I were the Queen or Prince Charles I’d be keeping my fingers crossed that the Americans might just be able to keep Harry and Meghan in line.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Majesty

I doubt that Chelsea Clinton consulted the British Embassy or NY Consul to get ‘permission’ or consent before meeting Meghan and Harry in New York. Both she and her mother Hillary have expressed considerable sympathy with the way Meghan had been treated by the British media. They both gave an interview to the Sunday Times in March 2019. Hillary has said how much she admires Meghan.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...-meghan-markle

March 2021

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, lili mountbatten-windsor