The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other additional articles on security issue:
The Times:
Police protection for Prince Harry ‘would set precedent for private citizens’

Archive
(…)

Simon Morgan, a former royal protection officer who is now a director of Trojan Consultancy security firm, said the decision would have been made by the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (RaVEC). It takes advice from the Home Office, Foreign Office, police and the security services.

“This is nothing that the royal family can influence,” Morgan said. “It’s nothing that the Metropolitan Police can influence. If you went down a route of him paying for it, that sets a precedent. Who then becomes the employer? For example, why couldn’t Bill Gates get official projection if he offers to pay?”

Dai Davies, former division head of royal protection command, said Harry was in a unique situation. “I’ve studied the history of attacks on the royal family going back to George III and I’ve never come across anything like this. It’s unprecedented for a member of the royal family to threaten to sue the government for failing to provide security.”

(…)

The cost of guarding Harry in Britain would be about £10,000 a day, a former royal protection officer has said (Jack Malvern writes). In the private sector a protection officer for one costs £1,200 a day, with an additional £1,500 if they need a vehicle and driver and a further £1,600 for overnight protection.

A backup car and an advance party each add £2,770 to the bill. If Harry is with his family, costs multiply.

Simon Morgan, of Trojan Security, said police security would have similar costs. “Mark Zuckerberg’s bill is $30 million a year,” he said.

(…)

Prince Harry cannot just buy police protection, say former guards

Archive
(…)

Dai Davies, who was an operational unit commander for royal protection from 1995, said police services were not for sale. He told Good Morning Britain that members of the royal family received protection only if the security agencies considered them to be at risk.

“Princess Anne doesn’t get full-time protection we’re told now and yet in 1974 she was nearly kidnapped and/or murdered,” Davies said. “There has never been a precedent where somebody pays for their security in this country. If it’s required, it will be provided.”

(…)

A royal protection officer who guarded Diana, Princess of Wales, agreed that police protection could not simply be bought. Ken Wharfe, who was a close protection officer for Harry’s mother from 1987 to 1993, said that he was showing “outrageous cheek” in seeking a judicial review.

“If he is granted [royal protection], for which he has magnanimously offered to pay, every visiting Hollywood star and wealthy celebrity may as well expect the same privileges,” Wharfe wrote in the Daily Mail.

“He cannot claim he was not told. For him now to be threatening legal action against the government, and by extension against the Queen herself, is unprecedented for any royal, even one who has abdicated his official duties.”

(…)

The Telegraph

Archive
(…)

Lawyers for the Duke filed a “pre-action protocol” that will - should the courts grant it - result in a judicial review. Such reviews can typically cost £100,000.

Lawyers for the Duke believe the refusal to give him protection has been unreasonable, opaque and inconsistent. They also insist he faces a greater threat in the UK than the US and that vital security information is not being shared with his private security team.

(…)

But round-the-clock security is different matter. Kate Moss’s wedding was policing by the Met, but did they also provide it to her outside the wedding? I don’t think so. Just like when Christiano Ronaldo plays in a match for MU there are Met officers guarding the stadium, but outside the game he (and his family) has his own privately paid non-Met security.

GMP! Greater Manchester Police. The Met is only for London. But, yes, as you say, no-one expects the police to protect public figures, other than senior Royals and senior politicians, on a day-to-day basis.

All sorts of people require protection. People who are witnesses in criminal cases. People who are being targeted by stalkers. The police can't do everything.

Other additional articles on security issue:

Lawyers for the Duke filed a “pre-action protocol” that will - should the courts grant it - result in a judicial review. Such reviews can typically cost £100,000.

Lawyers for the Duke believe the refusal to give him protection has been unreasonable, opaque and inconsistent. They also insist he faces a greater threat in the UK than the US and that vital security information is not being shared with his private security team.

And the above section from The Telegraph article shows the problem/discrepancy/gap with Harry's argument/sentiment that The Sussexes are not burdening the taxpayer. Even if the Sussexes got their way of paying/hiring round-a-clock Met Police Officer, the judicial review (granted by the Court) itself would still cost the taxpayer who are funding The Met.

Speaking of public figures not getting 24 hour taxpayer police protection in their private life, there was a video of Boris Johnson running with Dilyn (Jack Russell cross) at Central London with no police officer around him. Theresa May (who is still an MP) was queuing outside the supermarket without Police Protection during 2020.

As people have said before, you would not tell your boss that you were quitting your job but expected the company to keep paying for your private medical insurance and gym membership, or even that you expected to be able to park your car in the office car park when you were in town as long as you paid the parking charges yourself. I appreciate that security is something different, but it does go with the job.

:previous:

True. But then it is not because of his job that he and his family are in danger. It is because of his birth, which he can not do anything about.

I find it rather irresponsible and petty not to give him protection when he is in the UK TBH. Esp. since he will not be there very often.

I truly hope that the Sussexes do not attend the Jubilee.
It's supposed to be a joyous celebration of the Queen's long reign, and if they are there, everyone else in the RF will be walking on eggshells.

Then later, we'll have to hear about how Harry and/or Meghan were insulted by this, that, and the other.

I think it's best for all concerned if they stay away.

I think the queen will be very hurt if they dont come. She has just lost Philip, she has all the grief of Andrew;s problems. Im sure she would like to see her new great grandchild....

I truly hope that the Sussexes do not attend the Jubilee.
It's supposed to be a joyous celebration of the Queen's long reign, and if they are there, everyone else in the RF will be walking on eggshells.

Then later, we'll have to hear about how Harry and/or Meghan were insulted by this, that, and the other.

I think it's best for all concerned if they stay away.

And I hope that they will be there.

96-year-old (then) Queen has every right to see her grandson and great-grandson again and meet personally her granddaughter (and the other way round too).

Let's be sincere - it may be the last time and occasion:sad:

It probably will be hte last time they have a chance. Having said that its possible that it will be a stressful occasion in many ways

'd like to know more about the supposed incident that convinced him his family would be in mortal danger if they returned to the UK. I might be persuaded to believe that someone got a knife or even a gun within a dangerously close distance of Harry, but I find it very difficult to believe that Harry and Meghan would have kept quiet about such an incident for nearly a year. If the "threat" being described was a paparazzo taking pictures or some random person yelling insults, these are things people who choose to be controversial celebrities have to deal with. (I bet Joe Rogan has had all the same things happen to him!)
Ugly American-I too am curious as to what occurred during this event that Prince Harry referred to as a reason to demand the Met Police security for himself and his family. As far as I understand, London has closed circuit cameras nearly everywhere and I would be certain that the incident was recorded on at least one camera. Perhaps this footage has already been reviewed by the Home Office and the Met Police and it was determined that while unpleasant, it didn't meet the standard to provide Met Police protection.

True. But then it is not because of his job that he and his family are in danger. It is because of his birth, which he can not do anything about.

I find it rather irresponsible and petty not to give him protection when he is in the UK TBH. Esp. since he will not be there very often.

The fallout and the blowback- on the BRF, and others- would be horrendous and irreparably damaging if serious harm befell any of the Sussexes. It is well known that there is a very profitable “industry” devoted to criticizing them, frequently with false claims; there are many deranged individuals who might be encouraged to test a lower level of security in order to gain fame or admiration.

I find objections to protecting Harry and his family to be petty and irresponsible, also.

I am not sure it is petty; resources are not unlimited. I think the police will be stretched thin during the Jubilee because there will be many crowds and many security threats against many different people in attendance.

No one is 100% safe and I think Harry and Meghan would be relatively safe staying at a royal residence and using private protection. It would be horrible if something were to happen during the celebration. But I find it hard to believe that officials wouldn't share information with Harry's private security if they receive about credible threats.

Ugly American-I too am curious as to what occurred during this event that Prince Harry referred to as a reason to demand the Met Police security for himself and his family. As far as I understand, London has closed circuit cameras nearly everywhere and I would be certain that the incident was recorded on at least one camera. Perhaps this footage has already been reviewed by the Home Office and the Met Police and it was determined that while unpleasant, it didn't meet the standard to provide Met Police protection.

It was as he was leaving the WellChild Awards. There was about 2 maybe 3 photographers. It was the Sun and Mirror if I remember they published the pics. All royals or celebrities have photographers at the exit of these type of events - but I guess we doesn't want that now. They did follow him in their cars a bit as well. There is a lot of debate about that he created the media interest - over the last year as well as all the looneys that have come out of the woodwork. Just like the security of the royals at BP has seen - he has as well. I think he tolerated the media previously now he doesn't want to, unless they are their on his bequest.

And I hope that they will be there.

96-year-old (then) Queen has every right to see her grandson and great-grandson again and meet personally her granddaughter (and the other way round too).

Let's be sincere - it may be the last time and occasion:sad:

Right here in those sentences lies what should be taking precedence in the mind of Harry and Meghan that right now is so obvious to me. It is showing me what is of real importance to the Sussexes. Of course, Harry does want his family to be safe. Any father worth his salt is protective.

Why continue to fight for the Met Police protection Harry feels he *has* to have? If he was, for one minute, thinking of someone other than himself (his grandmother for example), he would work around the best possible solution to be able to be there for his grandmother's platinum jubilee and his grandfather's Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey and that would be the top priority. He would be making compromises and plans to ensure his family was safe (stay away from the major events in London?) because, to him, being there for his grandmother takes top priority.

That didn't happen. It's a case of "I get Met Police protection or I'll have to stay away and not come home again". Is this exhibiting ego and self entitlement over the actual reasons he would be coming to the UK in the first place? It makes me wonder if he really cares if he's there for his grandmother or to celebrate his grandfather or is he still on a crash course to follow in the steps of his Uncle Andrew's "second son syndrome" and develop full blown arrogance and entitlement and feel the world "owes" him such and such because of his birth. The real world doesn't work like that.

For a couple that are supposed to be influencers to the "woke" community and stand there and and tell the Home Office in the UK that they "deserve" round the clock protection, make the news reports standing up to Spotify (just two people that have absolutely no real content on Spotify to speak of but join legendary artists that do but wth... they do have a Spotify contract) and, I believe, thinks they're actually relevant in today's world but finding it a rough road to go on their own so far.

If these two people are examples of how the mass population wants to be "woke", no thank you. I'd rather go back to sleep. Just *once* I'd love to see either Harry or Meghan do or say something where it shows that they actively can put someone else first besides themselves. That's what kindness and compassion does. I've seen very little of that.

I believe too that it would be best all the way around if the couple remain in California for both Philip's Service of Thanksgiving and the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations. I'm sure that will keep the Sussexes a whole lot safer and ease the mind of the family of the potential downsides their presence would cause at these public celebrations. The Sussexes very well could plan an extensive stay at Balmoral with the Queen in private on a very well protected royal estate and visit to their hearts content. But... they wouldn't be "seen" that way. They are no longer relevant to the monarchy and the UK and to be honest, just the temperature of the public opinion towards them would be enough to make me leery of appearing in public in the UK again. I'd bet the next donut I'm about to eat that the public opinion is at the root of their fears of why they need 24/7 police protection in the UK.

(jumps off her soap box and heads for the coffee and donuts) :D

It's not petty. How far do you go?

We lost 22 people, many of them children, in a bombing at an Ariana Grande concert at the Arena 3 miles away. Are the police to guard every concert venue, every cinema, every shopping centre, every railway station (after what happened in London in 2005), every airport and every sports stadium? Private security staff are responsible for a lot of that.

Places of worship and even faith schools belonging to minority religions employ security staff, because of the threat of attack - which is horrible, especially when you see guards outside primary schools, but that's the world in which we live. There are 650 Members of Parliament, plus high profile politicians who are no longer MPs. Plus diplomats. Plus their family members.

There are people who are at risk because they informed on criminals, because they are being stalked by violent ex-partners, or because of their work (at one time, there were a lot of attacks on scientists whose research involved testing on animals). Leading Covid expert Chris Whitty was attacked in a park recently, and similar incidents have occurred in other countries. All sorts of high profile people are at risk - look what happened to Monica Seles. Look what happened to Lord Mountbatten, and he wasn't even a senior royal.

As US Royal Watcher said, resources are not unlimited. The police cannot guard everyone.

As US Royal Watcher said, resources are not unlimited. The police cannot guard everyone.

The way I see it is the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard/RPO elite squad are funded totally by the taxpayer. I'd go as far as to say that the RPO elite squad could be compared to the US Secret Service which is provided for the executive branch of the US government. Chelsea Clinton had her own Secret Service detail while her father was the President but now that he's no longer in office, she doesn't quality for protection provided by the taxpayer. Same with Barron Trump. Only former presidents and their first ladies qualify for lifetime Secret Service protection.

Neither Chelsea or Barron could go to the Secret Service and want to use them as "rent-a-cop" because frankly, they don't fit the criteria laid out by the Secret Service and the government agency itself that denotes just who gets a detail or not. They could demand it all they want and even take it to Supreme Court if they wanted to but it'd be a losing battle. Barron could claim that because of who his father is and how he's been running his mouth lately puts him in dire danger of something happening to him to get back at his father as a very valid reason for 24/7 protection.

(ETA: I just looked it up and Barron Trump *does* have a Secret Service detail though. He'll have that until he's 18 as he's still a minor. So lets put Barron's request for 24/7 protection as if he's already reached his 18th birthday. Once he's an adult, he's on his own)

Harry chose to take his family to California and walk away from life as a working member of the British royal family. It stands to reason that a lot of the perks from the people and the UK government that were part and parcel of that life would be lost when they gained their "freedom". I really don't think they thought a lot of this through before sailing off into the sunset and just assumed that so much of what they took for granted would still be there for them. Just because of who they are. They actually thought that the 1/2 in and 1/2 out plan was going to work out for them at first and when that was scuppered, they were caught between a rock and a hard place. The all or nothing.

Welcome to the real world, Harry. Its not as gilded and protected as the fishbowl you've discarded. Can't have things both ways. :D

It was my understanding that M and H will be afforded police protection when they join the rest of the family for the different events scheduled. Also, staying with Charles insures police protection for private time.

Now, if they plan on setting up some public events on their own and want the full panoply of official protection with multiple flashing SUVs and motorcycle outriders going through traffic lights, that is a different thing altogether.

They are no longer relevant to the monarchy and the UK and to be honest, just the temperature of the public opinion towards them would be enough to make me leery of appearing in public in the UK again. I'd bet the next donut I'm about to eat that the public opinion is at the root of their fears of why they need 24/7 police protection in the UK.

(jumps off her soap box and heads for the coffee and donuts) :D

You are unfortunately very correct - I actually know someone that handles private security for the royal family. He doesn't and will not be by Harry, but it has been discussed among the teams especially what happened at the funeral and the Diana Statue unveiling. What Harry wants is access to the royal family threat files - that is understandable and is given to his security normally when they have a review when he is coming. Same right given to everyone. He wants several people from MET protection to be at his and Meghan's side. He also wants all people attending events that he will be attending veted in regard to himself and Meghan - so say some Marine officers will be there - his staff will find out if they want him back or didn't like him and then it will be decided if they get the invite. I have been told that the Invictus people are pulling their hair out trying to do this at the moment. As only Meghan and Harry fans will be allowed near them at the games. This will be very difficult in walkabouts ect - which is why they want the MET security. Can you imagine the headline if one of their bulky American guards pulls an old lady away from Meghan who has taken offence to the Oprah interview? But if it is a MET officer it is different in appearance and in the press.
Here is the unfortunate facts - they will not be able to stop people booing them in public, holding up banners ect at the Jubilee celebrations. It will happen. Most people in the UK know it is the Queen's day and will act accordingly - which is probably what the MET will tell them. The British will not protest at the Jubilee - they will go out for the Queen. But if Harry and Meghan think that goodwill will extend to them as well - they have another thing coming.

It was my understanding that M and H will be afforded police protection when they join the rest of the family for the different events scheduled. Also, staying with Charles insures police protection for private time.

Now, if they plan on setting up some public events on their own and want the full panoply of official protection with multiple flashing SUVs and motorcycle outriders going through traffic lights, that is a different thing altogether.

Agree with you. The Jubilee is definitely not the time for personal movie making of their own. It should be ONLY about the Queen and the comments her family might be asked to share. It honors 70 years devoting to her country and all should put their own position and wants aside to honor her for that alone. This nonsense is getting quite revolting and probably upsetting the Queen more than if they just stayed home. JMO

I feel sorry for HRH The Duke of Sussex. The public attacks on his wife and the unresolved issues regarding his mother's death has left him lashing out at shadows, bracing for attacks that, while credible, are perceived as much more dangerous than they actually may be. Now, what can make that better? My thought is that he will have to somehow find that security within himself to have peace.

As for whether or not the Sussexes should come to the jubilee or not, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they come, the media is going to focus on their actions and interactions, leading the media to accuse them of overshadowing the jubilee. If they don't, the media is going to focus on their absence and accuse them of overshadowing the jubilee by not coming.

I feel sorry for HRH The Duke of Sussex. The public attacks on his wife and the unresolved issues regarding his mother's death has left him lashing out at shadows, bracing for attacks that, while credible, are perceived as much more dangerous than they actually may be. Now, what can make that better? My thought is that he will have to somehow find that security within himself to have peace.

:sad: Sadly I have to agree with you regarding what I perceive about the Duke's mental and emotional health.

:sad: Sadly I have to agree with you regarding what I perceive about the Duke's mental and emotional health.

I think a lot of people can and do realize that Harry isn't the the epitome of mental health as he is trying to put himself out to be. One thing is evident is that he's aware of his issues and what has gotten him to this point in his life and he's actively trying to find himself. Finding peace and stability and purpose in life doesn't always go smoothly like graduating from high school into the collegiate world and then easing into having a young family to support for anyone and Harry's had more than his share of things happen in life that truly had a traumatic effect on him. It's a process he's still working on but by no means is his road anywhere close to the average person's road.

One thing we all do on our road to discovery of who we are and who we want to be going into the future is dissect our past and place blame here and there because that "caused" it and we react in such a manner. Eventually we do come to an acceptance that we can't change what already has been and we move on and adapt and conform things to how we want things to be in our lives going forward. I believe Harry is in the middle of still figuring things out. He wants the things that he took so very much for granted all his life but also lashes out at those things for causing his trauma and distress. That, in and of itself, is a huge mental conundrum.

I do have absolute faith though that he'll come to terms with himself and what makes him happy and contented but that depends solely on him and his attitude towards things he cannot change and he gains courage to change the things he can. He's still searching for the wisdom to know the difference. It's a personal journey though and not one that should be played out in public as an "influencer"

This is what bothers me so much about the whole thing. Harry doesn't need any kind of police protection to visit with his family, because they live on already-secured estates, and going between the airport and a secured estate, or between multiple secured estates, is easy enough to do. There is always security everywhere at events like the Jubilee, but you don't see the officers glued to their protectees' elbows, because that's not considered necessary in that setting. It's not necessary for Harry, either.

So the real issue here is that Harry wants to do God only knows what that doesn't involve the royal family, in his capacity as a private citizen, and thinks he should be able to commandeer any government resource he likes as long as he's willing to pay for it. If he doesn't feel safe wining and dining celebrities and media moguls without police protection, that's unfortunate for him, but it's not a reason to let him hire out the Met. It's telling that, going by his own statements, he's unwilling to come back for the Jubilee or let his grandmother meet her namesake great-granddaughter unless he feels able to make some non-family-related public appearances in the same trip.

Absolutely no one who is in a position to decide Harry's security wants him or his family to get hurt. Not the Home Office, Security Services, The Met or his family (who don't decide security anyway).

Harry probably does think he's in severe danger and I feel for him on that score because I probably would too but that doesn't mean the Met or security services have to indulge his feelings or paranoia if they find that there's no threat to him or his family and thus no need for RPOs paid or otherwise. If there was a credible threat to him, he would be notified and given appropriate security. That is a fact.

He's in more danger from guns in the US than in the UK and paparazzi and people that might yell nasty things can't be shot at anyway (I am not condoning this).

Beatrice and Eugenie might be feeling very vulnerable to the same thing right now as well as at risk of being attacked due to their father but I don't think it would go down well if Edo for example tried to do the same thing for his family as Harry is doing. They didn't ask for this any more than Harry did and don't court controversy themselves.

He can stay in places already guarded by RPOs when he's over and security will be heavy at any related events. Plenty of charities he could visit will be indoors or be secure anyway. Does he envision doing another "faux royal tour" ala NYC or something where they're outside and in contact with a lot of people?

It has been suggested in some articles that they would use the fact that the Met is "letting" them pay for security to claim that the Met clearly believes they *need* security and thus deserve it to be funded full time. Of course that is only speculation.

It would be very dangerous to set a precedent where anyone can sue to hire the intelligence services basically. We're not talking regular police here, who don't carry guns in the UK like private security doesn't.

Personally I kind of hope they skip the jubilee and come over privately later on or before, I'd rather the focus not be taken away from HM and onto speculating about every gesture and look to and from them but that's just my opinion.

Also on an unrelated note, I hope they don't mention again about how they were stopped from so many amazing projects by nasty palace staff and others since they haven't produced anything for Netflix (leaving the Spotify issue alone for now but it counts) and they've had that deal almost as long as they were working members of the BRF and recent reports show that Pearl hasn't even started. There's no one stopping them now. I know these things take time but normally there's movement in 16 months. They both got interesting projects moving faster in the BRF.

Thank you very much to yukari for answering my questions.

I'd like to know more about the supposed incident that convinced him his family would be in mortal danger if they returned to the UK. I might be persuaded to believe that someone got a knife or even a gun within a dangerously close distance of Harry, but I find it very difficult to believe that Harry and Meghan would have kept quiet about such an incident for nearly a year. If the "threat" being described was a paparazzo taking pictures or some random person yelling insults, these are things people who choose to be controversial celebrities have to deal with. (I bet Joe Rogan has had all the same things happen to him!)

Quoting from the Duke's statement: "During his last visit to the UK in July 2021 - to unveil a statue in honour of his late mother - his security was compromised due to the absence of police protection, whilst leaving a charity event."

The statement may be read in its entirety here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10406391/Prince-Harry-says-bodyguards.html

Reports from reputable media organizations (refer to yukari's original post), which were briefed by his spokesperson, clarified that his comment referred to an incident in July 2021 when his car was followed by photographers.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

This is what bothers me so much about the whole thing. Harry doesn't need any kind of police protection to visit with his family, because they live on already-secured estates, and going between the airport and a secured estate, or between multiple secured estates, is easy enough to do. There is always security everywhere at events like the Jubilee, but you don't see the officers glued to their protectees' elbows, because that's not considered necessary in that setting. It's not necessary for Harry, either.

So the real issue here is that Harry wants to do God only knows what that doesn't involve the royal family, in his capacity as a private citizen, and thinks he should be able to commandeer any government resource he likes as long as he's willing to pay for it. If he doesn't feel safe wining and dining celebrities and media moguls without police protection, that's unfortunate for him, but it's not a reason to let him hire out the Met. It's telling that, going by his own statements, he's unwilling to come back for the Jubilee or let his grandmother meet her namesake great-granddaughter unless he feels able to make some non-family-related public appearances in the same trip.

Well stated.

As best I can tell Harry’s argument is that his wife and children cannot come to the UK to visit his family at all unless they get the security he thinks they needs. But- if it’s about private visits, they’re already on secured estates. I really don’t follow how that is an issue. Why can’t they come? Maybe I’m misunderstanding though. It seems to me if the number one priority is to privately visit with family- there shouldn’t be an issue.

Events like the jubilee have tons of security as it is. But- whether they attend or not- he can still visit his family privately.

As everyone has stated- NO ONE would want any harm to come to Harry and his family. If there was a credible threat- no doubt- security would be there.

If Harry wants to do public visits in a private capacity- and thinks security is lacking- well- that’s a different issue. But it seems to me it should be a separate issue from the ability to come to the UK at all.

Last edited:
Thank you very much to yukari for answering my questions.

Quoting from the Duke's statement: "During his last visit to the UK in July 2021 - to unveil a statue in honour of his late mother - his security was compromised due to the absence of police protection, whilst leaving a charity event."

The statement may be read in its entirety here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10406391/Prince-Harry-says-bodyguards.html

Reports from reputable media organizations (refer to yukari's original post), which were briefed by his spokesperson, clarified that his comment referred to an incident in July 2021 when his car was followed by photographers.

This tells me that being in a car and being chased by photographers and journalist in pursuit of a good story and headlines for their next publication is not on a par with national intelligence services receiving clear and present danger alerts (like terrorist cell chatter or viable threats against a British person, place or event like the US CIA, FBI etc keep tabs on constantly and act accordingly).

British intelligence serves to protect Britain and it's citizens and the taxpayers fund that because its in their own interest and their own safety that's at the crux of the matter.

The bottom line here really is that Harry has put himself at the core of public disapproval. Harry has put himself at the forefront of being tabloid fodder even more so than before they left the royal fold. Harry has brought a lot of this "unwanted attention" on his own head and now finds himself reacting in fear to what may be the consequences of his own words and actions. Harry is discovering the effects of Sir Isaac Newton's law of action and reaction.

Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction? This is the third of Sir Issac Newton's laws of physics, and one that is very important to space flight (among many other applicable instances in life on Planet Earth). ?

Harry probably does think he's in severe danger and I feel for him on that score because I probably would too but that doesn't mean the Met or security services have to indulge his feelings or paranoia if they find that there's no threat to him or his family and thus no need for RPOs paid or otherwise. If there was a credible threat to him, he would be notified and given appropriate security. That is a fact.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Of course Harry perceives that he is in grave danger. This is a natural consequence of his life experiences. He has shared that he has PTSD as a result of his mother's death. When he hears the click of cameras, his brain and body quite literally think they are under attack.

But the reality is that what he perceives as real danger is not real danger, and the powers that be are not making decisions based on his perception.

There is video of the incident Harry references in his statement. A small group of photographers fellows his car at a speed barely faster than a jogging human for a very short distance. Again, due to the PTSD Harry has shared he experiences, it is very real to him that this is a threat to his life. But in reality this is a garden variety situation that happens to hundreds of famous people every single day and it is not a real threat. And police are making decisions based on reality, not his perception.

I love how this discussion is going. It's so refreshing to see that we can discuss Harry's want of police protection from the Met Police while in the UK and look it it intelligently. We determine that to Harry, with understanding his mental issues and concerns and trauma he's been subjective to that to him, there is a clear and present danger that he believes is very real while observing from the outside of the situation that demanding 24/7 police protection from the Met Police just isn't going to happen because Harry deems is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom