The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
You mean she doesn’t sound like a regular person? ��������������
I don't have a clue what your post means.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Although she is technically not wrong, inserting yourself into American politics or politically-charged topics using a British peerage title is plain stupid. Using a British peerage/royal title in a country where a lot of the politicians and constituents have English descendants that were opposed to the very institution these titles derive from is not only ironic but will turn off the very people she is trying to collaborate with. The comments by Senator Susan Collins illustrates the sentiment.

Meghan is clearly using her title to try to gain an advantage - and it's failing IMHO. Which is a shame, because paid maternity leave etc are really important issues that deserve many champions (both women AND men!). I just wish she drops the whole 'I'm the Duchess of Sussex" because it is her passion and work she does for these issues that should be at the forefront.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks that any senator would change their vote on any issue because Meghan wanted them to. She's entitled to her opinions, the same as anyone else is, but how much influence is she supposed to have? And no-one should be giving out other people's private phone numbers.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks that any senator would change their vote on any issue because Meghan wanted them to. She's entitled to her opinions, the same as anyone else is, but how much influence is she supposed to have? And no-one should be giving out other people's private phone numbers.
I'm not an American and only get my views from what is reported, but it seems lobbying, like what Meghan does, is a pretty normal practice in the US. But calling unsolicited to someone's private phone number - that seems very very odd and I'd be finding the person who did the privacy breach
Old 11-04-2021, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I'm not an American and only get my views from what is reported, but it seems lobbying, like what Meghan does, is a pretty normal practice in the US. But calling unsolicited to someone's private phone number - that seems very very odd and I'd be finding the person who did the privacy breach
The private phone number is what stood out for me too. That (if what is reported, true) is totally unacceptable no matter how badly you want your cause to succeed. Everything else seems above board and how Meghan chooses to do her thing, is perfectly fine. It may *look* bad but there's inherently nothing wrong in what she's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
How much a person influences another is dependent on a) how many people they can reach and b) how many actually pay attention.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Don’tcha just know those senators went home and said, ‘guess who called me me today”? Regardless of what they thought of the message… My poor old aunt was sure that Barbara Bush had called her once- we didn’t have the heart to tell her it was a robo call.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Majesty

How do we know that it was just these two GOP Senators that Meghan called in her efforts to get this much needed measure passed? There could have been thirty or forty other Reps or Senators who didn’t react unfavourably and whose opinion on the bill was unchanged or reinforced.

And news on the measure….

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...5-65dfffccb429

An article that is mostly about Harry and Meghan?s future speaking engagements next week. However?.

?Overnight, in a major shift, Pelosi announced that four weeks of paid family and medical leave will be added back into the social spending bill, after Democrats had previously scrapped the provision from the package.

Adding a version of the leave policies back into the package brings back to life a central and popular plank of US President Joe Biden's initial proposal.?
Old 11-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
How do we know that it was just these two GOP Senators that Meghan called in her efforts to get this much needed measure passed? There could have been thirty or forty other Reps or Senators who didn’t react unfavourably and whose opinion on the bill was unchanged or reinforced.
Because the Democratic senator who gave her the phone numbers said so

Meghan is, however, going to call more female GOP senators. I am not sure how many of them there are, but surely far less than 30 or 40. Edit: I checked the numbers. There are 8 of them in total (men are by far in the majority in the Senate (24 women; 76 men); and the Democrats have twice as many women (16) among them than the Republicans).
On a side-note, it is interesting that only the female GOP senators are targeted. Apparently, the assumption is that the GOP male senators won't be interested at all; so, they don't even try.

I personally don't think that a GOP senator is going to persuaded by a call from an American celebrity using her British royal title who is known as woke, pro-Democratic and anti-Trump. Ensuring that opinions remain unchanged or are reinforced is indeed likely to happen - but that's not what Meghan and her Democratic senator-companion are looking for.

Hopefully, they are willing to listen to the arguments brought forward but Meghan being the messenger will more likely work against it rather than for it imho.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:10 PM
Majesty

There’s this…

https://www.thedailybeast.com/duches...d-family-leave

According to Politico, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) shared the two senators’ phone numbers with the duchess. “She wants to be part of a working group to work on paid leave long term, and she’s going to be,” said Sen. Gillibrand. “Whether this comes to fruition now or later, she’ll be part of a group of women that hopefully will work on paid leave together.”
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There’s this…

According to Politico, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) shared the two senators’ phone numbers with the duchess. “She wants to be part of a working group to work on paid leave long term, and she’s going to be,” said Sen. Gillibrand. “Whether this comes to fruition now or later, she’ll be part of a group of women that hopefully will work on paid leave together.”
That's great to hear! Given how incredibly passionate Meghan is about paid maternity leave and wants change, sounds like she has like-minded women who see past the title (which I had hoped for)
Old 11-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The same quotation appeared in the article from The Hill posted by TLLK/iceflower.

Although The Hill seems to have quoted all of the senators' remarks, here is the link to the original source, a report by Marianne LeVine in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/11-3-2021/

Quote:
[...]
“I’m in my car. I’m driving. It says caller ID blocked. Honestly … I thought it was Sen. Manchin. His calls come in blocked. And she goes 'Sen. Capito?' I said, 'Yes.' She said, 'This is Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.”

— Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.)
“I couldn’t figure out how she got my number,” the West Virginia Republican added. Capito wasn't alone in the GOP: Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) also got a call from the erstwhile royal.
She added : “much to my surprise, she called me on my private line and she introduced herself as the duchess of Sussex, which Is kind of ironic”
— Marianne LeVine (@marianne_levine) November 3, 2021
Who sent Meghan? Sen. Kirsten Gilibrand (D-N.Y.), who's pushed her party to include paid leave in its social spending bill, said Wednesday that she gave senators' numbers to Markle. "I talked to each of the women senators and let them know that she's going to reach out, because she only completed two of the calls," Gillibrand said. "She's going to call some others, so I let them know in advance."
"She wants to be part of a working group to work on paid leave long term and she's going to be. Whether this comes to fruition now or later, she'll be part of a group of women that hopefully will work on paid leave together."

— Sen. Kirsten Gilibrand (D-N.Y.) on Markle
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The private phone number is what stood out for me too. That (if what is reported, true) [...]
Quote:
How do we know that it was just these two GOP Senators that Meghan called in her efforts to get this much needed measure passed? [...]
There doesn't seem to be any indication that Senator Gillibrand lied or was misquoted.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The same quotation appeared in the article from The Hill posted by TLLK/iceflower.

Although The Hill seems to have quoted all of the senators' remarks, here is the link to the original source, a report by Marianne LeVine in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/11-3-2021/

There doesn't seem to be any indication that Senator Gillibrand lied or was misquoted.
Thanks for the Tatiana Maria! Sounds like Meghan got to the senators before Senator Kirsten Gilibrand could
Old 11-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Majesty

No, I meant earlier ‘did Meghan perhaps call other Senators who didn’t react in the way that the two GOP Senators did, (or speak to Olitico or The Hill about it) but had a discussion with her about the bill.’
Old 11-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
There’s this…

That's completely inappropriate. Public figures, especially women, have to be very careful about security. Nobody should be giving out their private phone numbers to anyone without their permission. Presumably there are office phone numbers and e-mail addresses which can be used to contact senators. OK, you probably get through to an aide or a secretary instead of the senator, but that doesn't make it OK to give out someone's private number.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Majesty

According to Politico, linked and quoted by Tatiana Maria, upthread #271

‘ Who sent Meghan? Sen. Kirsten Gilibrand (D-N.Y.), who's pushed her party to include paid leave in its social spending bill, said Wednesday that she gave senators' numbers to Markle. "I talked to each of the women senators and let them know that she's going to reach out, because she only completed two of the calls," Gillibrand said. "She's going to call some others, so I let them know in advance."
Old 11-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Majesty

She didn't ask permission to pass on their phone numbers (which is the senator's error of judgment). She passed them on to Meghan. Meghan called two GOP senators unannounced. (there is some media attention about the senators being surprised and a little puzzled how she got their phone number) The Democratic senator (apparently) figured that she should give the other GOP senators a heads-up that Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex is going to call them on their private phone numbers.

Quote:
No, I meant earlier ‘did Meghan perhaps call other Senators who didn’t react in the way that the two GOP Senators did, (or speak to Olitico or The Hill about it) but had a discussion with her about the bill.’
As I stated before (based on the article in The Hill posted by iceflower that started this whole discussion), the Democratic senator that passed on their phone numbers said that she only talked to these two so far. So, that question seems to have been answered. She didn't call 30-40 other senators or representatives who reacted positively. Both senators that were called were somewhat unpleasantly surprised. And one expressed that she cares about what her constituents think, not about what Meghan thinks. The other 6 female GOP senators can expect a call.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, the only senator that would need to pay attention to Meghan's concerns would be the senator from her district in California. Senators from other areas do listen to their constituents but I would imagine that if Meghan called them as "The Duchess of Sussex", they'd be nice and polite to her but realize that they don't represent her in Congress at all. I don't think "celebrity" really holds that much water with them but what do I know?

I know we've called our senators and representative and left messages with our opinions and stance and sometimes, even, they call us back to discuss it. Senators and Representatives *do* pay attention but I don't think a celebrity voice would amount to any more than a constituent's when it comes of lawmaking.

JMO of course.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I see, thank you for clarifying. But since one senator was quoted simply saying "I was happy to talk with her", without going into detail, and the other apparently did not comment on what was said, I'm not sure one can necessarily draw any conclusions regarding their reactions.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

https://19thnews.org/2021/11/gillibr...ex-paid-leave/

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand gives an interview and spoke about Meghan.

"Gillibrand said she plans to invite Meghan to Washington, D.C., for a bipartisan dinner she is hosting in the coming month with all the women senators, a tradition Vice President Kamala Harris restarted this year, to give her a platform to discuss paid leave. Gillibrand said Sen. Deb Fisher, a Republican from Nebraska, told her she is “delighted and looking forward to that conversation.”"

That shall be interesting.

Also

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1951902.html

Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez praised the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle for lobbying for paid family leave with Republicans, as Congress debates President Biden’s landmark social welfare package.

“I think every American being engaged in the process is a positive contribution to our outcome,” the congresswoman from New York told The Independent on Thursday.

No matter how one feels -- there is definitely more eyes on it now. Which I suspect was Meghan's goal.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Nobility

Senator Collins had it right. She answers to the people of Maine, not to anyone who lives in California, and not to anyone with a foreign title. If the name "Meghan Markle" was good enough for Lilibet's birth certificate, it's good enough to use when lobbying an American politician. I don't know how effective her title ever was at persuading Brits to do what she wanted, but believing that it will be perceived positively by American politicians is astoundingly clueless.

If lawmakers can't trust their colleagues not to give out their private numbers to random self-important lobbyists, they're going to stop sharing those numbers with their colleagues from the other party. And then Meghan can publicly hand-wring over their unwillingness to work productively together. I suppose that's more Gillibrand's fault than Meghan's, but really. "I'm going to give you so-and-so's private number without their permission because I really want you to pester them into voting for this bill I support" is such an obvious bad look that Meghan shouldn't have touched it.

If a friend of Meghan's gave out Meghan's private number that way, I can't imagine Meghan would be very happy about it. But of course, she's much too special to be held to the same standards she applies to everyone else. Blocking her own number from showing up so that her targets wouldn't have her private number is just one more example of that.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, lili mountbatten-windsor