The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s an old Aussie expression about the bleeding obvious, ‘Blind Freddy could see this’. And I’m with Osipi about the very unstable and tense atmosphere in the US, that was observed all over the world. Harry wasn’t alone in predicting that something was about to happen in Washington last January. Blind Freddy could have seen that, and probably Jack Dorsey did as well.

Last edited:
My eyes just rolled out of my head and bounced across the floor ...

While plenty of people saw January 6 coming, most who don't effectively live on social media were at least somewhat surprised. Not necessarily surprised that something happened in general - the political mood was clear enough to anyone with a functioning brain - but they wouldn't have predicted a specific thing on a specific date. For all the fuss they make about staying off of social media because it's toxic, Harry must have been a fair amount of time on it for him to have been so certain of the specifics.

It's important to point out that Mellody Hobson is not only a serious hard-working businesswoman, but also George Lucas's wife.

Watching YouTube clips across the spectrum of Fox, CNN, MSNBC and other news outlets with a proliferation of political, analysts, historians etc. backed up by innumerable YouTube stations, podcasts, Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the run-up to the 2020 elections fueled by the statement by the President that if "we" lose the vote was rigged, the immediate aftermath was totally predictable.

What happened after was as clear as a bell, blind Freddy could have seen this coming, etc. In short, it was neither surprising nor shocking, merely inevitable. When all is said and done, the President called a 'Stop the Steal' rally on 6 January which just happens to be a historic day. Each election season is marked by the same conclusion: On Jan. 6, a joint session of Congress officially counts the electoral college’s votes and then votes to accept the results, formalizing the winner.

In the time of the Pandemic, hundreds of thousands of people had nothing else to fill their time than to watch the box. People love watching a train wreck but few usually get to see it in slow motion in real-time since the pandemic kept so many of us home, Prince Harry was just one of many. The only thing the horrified me was the inexplicable absence of enough police etc. to deter the mob, let alone stop it.

Last edited:

I think a whole lot of American social media learned a huge lesson after the insurrection of January 6th. It doesn't surprise me one little bit that Harry saw it coming. I can't attest to seeing it for myself as I'd given up on using most social media sites long before this.

We've seen it happen in this thread enough to know that what Harry says is true that a lot of the internet is "“being defined by hate, division and lies”." It makes me appreciate our moderators here and the job they do to keep things flowing on an even keel.

WTG Harry!! :cheers:

I find it strange he contacted a ceo of a social media platform instead of i dont know the FBI or someone with power to actually do something about his warnings? I'm sure he has contacts. Asumming he didnt do that. You would think though if he truly thought there was a threat he would contact someplace else though, FBI, etc.Though he has a point to some degree, I just find his comments a little too precious so to speak.

Last edited:
My eyes just rolled out of my head and bounced across the floor ...

While plenty of people saw January 6 coming, most who don't effectively live on social media were at least somewhat surprised. Not necessarily surprised that something happened in general - the political mood was clear enough to anyone with a functioning brain - but they wouldn't have predicted a specific thing on a specific date. For all the fuss they make about staying off of social media because it's toxic, Harry must have been a fair amount of time on it for him to have been so certain of the specifics.

I am hoping that he means that he knew something was coming or some action was been built up - but not specifically they are going to march on the Capitol. Then again who knows.

Harry is speaking with someone else voice - no doubt his advisors or whoever they are been advised by. Most of his assumptions are incorrect and bias. Notably the Bot Sentinel claims which have been found incorrect by Twitter themselves. I think we now have 5 things that killed Diana according to Harry.
Sorry to inform Harry that it is as simple as gossip grows in the dark. Speculation will always happen with there is a lack of clear information. IN every medium - the Internet isnt the problem. Human nature is.

Some new developments in the Sussexes lawsuit against Mail on Sunday. Meghan won her case earlier this year, but Associated Newspapers appealed. Today they submitted evidenced from Jason Knauf (a statement, along with texts and emails) that shows Meghan wrote the letter to her father with the understanding that it could be leaked. Knauf also revealed that Meghan and Harry did cooperate with the Finding Freedom book. Something they denied previously.

Source: Roya Nikkhah’s Twitter.

NEW A witness statement submitted to the Court of Appeal from Jason Knauf, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s former communications secretary says Harry and Meghan “authorised specific cooperation in writing in December 2018” to the authors of Finding Freedom, giving examples

Knauf says “the book was discussed directly with the Duchess multiple times in person and over email” and that Meghan gave him “helpful” written “background reminders” briefing notes “for when you sit down with them”. Knauf says Harry also gave written pointers for the authors

Knauf says that in an email: “The Duchess…added the briefing points she wanted me to share with the authors in my meeting with them,” including about her father, her half-siblings, “her perspective” on Harry’s 2016 statement about her treatment by some media & her wedding tiara

In a December 10 2018 email to Knauf, Harry wrote: “I totally agree we have to be able to say we didn’t have anything to do with it. Equally, you giving the right context and background to them would help get some truths out there…especially around Markle/wedding stuff…”

Much of Knauf’s witness statement in the Court of Appeal, supported with text messages and email exchanges, appears to be at odds with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s insistence that they made no direct or indirect contribution to Finding Freedom

Knauf also says Meghan told him in texts that she “obviously” wrote her August 2018 letter to her father “with the understanding that it could be leaked” to the media so she was “meticulous” in her choice of words, calling him “Daddy” to “pull at the heartstrings” if it leaked.

Meghan had apologized to the court for not revealing that she cooperated with the book.

“I apologise to the Court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time. I had absolutely no wish or intention to mislead the Defendant or the Court.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...led-father-daddy-letter-believing-would-pull/

Here’s an email between Meghan and Knauf. In the email, Meghan lays out some background reminders for when Knauf sits down with the authors of Finding Freedom.

Not sure how she could just forget that she cooperated with the authors.

Last edited:
It doesn't explain how the authors of the book also forgot about the cooperation.

Last edited:
What I also found interesting regarding that email was that she stated all info was already in the public domain and nothing private was revealed. And reading the bullet points -- it is true. Almost everything listed was already public knowledge. And she wrote she would have also sent them the letter herself highlighting that fact.

Knauf was the head of communication and at points he would ask her many questions so he could wade through the press questions he got. In the other statements they confirmed he had constant meetings with various press and she didn't think anything off the email.

Though that is on her for not remembering.

I also thought it was interesting that Knauf didn't want Meghan to put it in writing that she did not want anyone close to her to personally cooperate with the authors. She wanted a papertrail of it all. And That has been a big point in the the MOS defense.

I really hope they release the full statements of both of them because there has been contradictions on both sides. More neutral coverage, it appears that the courts do question a lot of the new and how relevant it truly is.

On to day 3.

Last edited:
Harry on Misinformation

Prince Harry claims he warned Twitter boss that the social media platform was being used to 'stage a coup' before the January 6 storming of the Capitol.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-09...er-boss-about-coup-day-before-us-capitol-riot

“Jack and I were emailing each other prior to January 6 when I warned him his platform was allowing a coup to be staged. That email was sent the day before," Harry said.

Really? What did he mean by that exactly? It's frustrating that no one challenged him but that's typical for the sort of people he engages with. At least so far.

Maybe he'll put himself forward for a proper interview where the world according to Harry Windsor can be put under some sort of scrutiny.

Some new developments in the Sussexes lawsuit against Mail on Sunday. Meghan won her case earlier this year, but Associated Newspapers appealed. Today they submitted evidenced from Jason Knauf (a statement, along with texts and emails) that shows Meghan wrote the letter to her father with the understanding that it could be leaked. Knauf also revealed that Meghan and Harry did cooperate with the Finding Freedom book. Something they denied previously.

Source: Roya Nikkhah’s Twitter.
No surprise at all.

Meghan had apologized to the court for not revealing that she cooperated with the book.

“I apologise to the Court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time. I had absolutely no wish or intention to mislead the Defendant or the Court.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...led-father-daddy-letter-believing-would-pull/
Makes no sense at all. I suppose it is hard to proof that she lied/s but if it could be proven would 'purposefully not remembering but stating/suggesting the opposite' or claiming that you didn't remember while you did constitute perjury?

Here’s an email between Meghan and Knauf. In the email, Meghan lays out some background reminders for when Knauf sits down with the authors of Finding Freedom.

Not sure how she could just forget that she cooperated with the authors.

Of course she didn't forget. It was a well-thought out strategy (as Harry confirmed) to 'say' that they didn't cooperate while at the same time cooperating with the authors to get 'their story' out.

Same with her friends talking to People; they wouldn't do so without knowing that Meghan would like them to - it is pretty easy to not 'tell/authorize' them to do so, while at the same time make it abundantly clear that is what you want them to do. Clearly, in this case (book cooperation) they didn't even discuss it indirectly but made sure they said exactly what they wanted them to be said and referred to 'when you sit down with them'.

Also, an interesting sentence: "I know you are better versed in this than most but assisting where I can."

Last edited:
There’s an old Aussie expression about the bleeding obvious, ‘Blind Freddy could see this’. And I’m with Osipi about the very unstable and tense atmosphere in the US, that was observed all over the world. Harry wasn’t alone in predicting that something was about to happen in Washington last January. Blind Freddy could have seen that, and probably Jack Dorsey did as well.

A lot of people did and a lot of serious papers were waiting, hoping to be of help to contain the violence. But the thing we have to accept is that there are two worlds in the US at the moment and while they cannot connect or agree on one "truth", one is very, very violent and the government of the US cannot allow that!

No surprise at all.

Makes no sense at all. I suppose it is hard to proof that she lied/s but if it could be proven would 'purposefully not remembering but stating/suggesting the opposite' or claiming that you didn't remember while you did constitute perjury?

Of course she didn't forget. It was a well-thought out strategy (as Harry confirmed) to 'say' that they didn't cooperate while at the same time cooperating with the authors to get 'their story' out.

I agree she didn’t forget about these conversations, but then why would she begin a lawsuit knowing that she was unable or unwilling to be entirely truthful throughout? Especially when the defendant was well funded and motivated enough to dig for as long as it took to find something like this?

All of this could have been forgotten by now; instead, the couple’s credibility is taking another serious hit and they’ve handed the MoS and the like the best kind of victory, no matter what happens with the appeal.

I agree she didn’t forget about these conversations, but then why would she begin a lawsuit knowing that she was unable or unwilling to be entirely truthful throughout? Especially when the defendant was well funded and motivated enough to dig for as long as it took to find something like this?

All of this could have been forgotten by now; instead, the couple’s credibility is taking another serious hit and they’ve handed the MoS and the like the best kind of victory, no matter what happens with the appeal.

Good points, camelot. Puts things nicely into perspective. In order to pursue a narrative, the lawsuit came into being that really didn't have to happen. If Meghan had just shrugged it off, no one would even really think about that letter so much anymore. The lawsuit was meant to show that wrong was done to the Duchess of Sussex by publishing a private letter between her and her father. She didn't figure on it becoming so involved and scrutinized that it would raise questions about her own motives. My thoughts are that she probably expected the MoS to settle out of court and hand her the win. Didn't happen.

You're right that this continues to damage her credibility and keeps the thoughts of a lack of credibility in the forefront of people's minds as more and more is coming to light concerning the appeal. I think Meghan may have seriously poked a bear that shouldn't have been poked and it's not going to end the way she hoped for.

JMO, of course. ?

Perhaps individuals being constantly bashed by the tabloid press day after day (and this has been going on since Meghan and Harry’s dating days) finally decide they have had enough.

I don’t know what mental or emotional condition I would be in after nearly four years of the sort of treatment Meghan received and continues to do so from the British tabloids, but I would hope that there would come a day when shrugging it all off just wouldn’t be an option.

Perhaps individuals being constantly bashed by the tabloid press day after day (and this has been going on since Meghan and Harry’s dating days) finally decide they have had enough.

I don’t know what mental or emotional condition I would be in after nearly four years of the sort of treatment Meghan received and continues to do so from the British tabloids, but I would hope that there would come a day when shrugging it all off just wouldn’t be an option.

Then there's the opposite side of the coin where giving a nemesis (a very nasty kind of bear) *any* kind of attention or recognition that they've managed to upset you and cause you emotional duress is just adding fuel to the fire and giving this bear even more ammunition. One they know they've reached their target, they now know where to aim even more so. Especially a bear that has a boatload of financial and legal means to back them up.

It's a sorry thing that all of this ever happened to Meghan in the first place from the very beginning. It was the British tabloids at their very worse and compounded by social media to boot. One thing remains true though and that is that winning a lawsuit against them can never compensate or eradicate the damage done to a person. There comes a time when you realize just how these tabloids operate and realize their aims and goals are devious ones and you're best off never, ever poking that bear because regardless of the outcome, the damage continues to be done the longer one fights against it.

I seriously wish that she had followed her own advice as stated in the Vanity Fair article "Wild About Harry" in 2017. "I don't read any press. I haven't even read press for Suits. The people who are close to me anchor me in knowing who I am. The rest is noise." You are only really affected by things that you allow yourself to be affected by. If the tabloids came to the realization that Meghan would not and could not be affected by the crapola they put in print, they'd soon give up trying.

https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/2017/10/wild-about-harry

This appeal and the more statements that are coming to light concerning something that should have been ancient history a long time ago, lives on still as more "he said, she said" comes to light and actually fuels the tabloids even more and more as they *know* they can get to her so easily now.

Sad state of our world but a reality. :sad:

Last edited:
If every royal, politician, sports player, singer, actor, Z list reality TV star etc etc who got grief from the tabloids sued every five minutes, the courts would have a waiting list running to several years. And if anyone's at fault here, it's Thomas Markle, who passed the letter to the Mail on Sunday.

I think everyone'd forgotten about this case. Does anyone really care whether Meghan referred to Thomas Markle as "Daddy" or anything else in the letter? But now Harry and Meghan are back on the front pages with headlines about Meghan having to apologise for misleading the court.

Catherine also features in tomorrow's papers, meeting Holocaust survivors at the new Holocaust Galleries at the Imperial War Museum, ahead of Remembrance Day.

Last edited:
Meghan sued on privacy and copyright reasons with reference to the letter to her father, and no other. Not on the FF book or any other bio. It was the newspaper group’s lawyers that brought FF into the hearing in front of Justice Warby.

I’m not able to recollect any individual Royal, politician, sports player, singer, actor, celebrity etc who has received constant negative publicity from the British tabloid press day in and day out for about four years, certainly not in the way Meghan has. Perhaps if they had then just maybe more of them would sue and this form of persecution (and I’m not using the word lightly) would recede.

Last edited:
No matter what intentions Meghan had going into this lawsuit (and I'm of the belief that she had ample and just reasons to start the lawsuit for the reasons she did) but besides believing that the law (with the advice given by her team of lawyers) and the courts being fair and balanced, I think the mistake was in not allowing for the opposing side to play dirty pool every which way to Sunday that they could. Both legally and in using the lawsuit to further enrich their pockets with the stories.

No matter how well armored you are and how prepared you are, you dive into a pool of blood thirsty sharks willingly and you take your life into your own hands. They don't say "excuse me... can I bite you now?". The go straight for the jugular.

I stand by the opinion that she should have heeded her own words. But... what is done is done. I just hope it's all laid to rest soon.

I dont think the press will exctly win the appeal because the letter is copyrighted by Meghan. On another point they mail may have smething on the privacy claim though I dont think winning is the Mail's objective here, to make her perjury lies come come to light, etc. On the other hand both sides seem really petty.

Last edited:
When I look at the approach the Sussexes choose, I wish they would've been more careful. If they wish, they could still be UK royals. Just lay low, work hard, and the UK people will start to like you. Things just went wrong because it seems Harry and Meghan aren't just focused on the UK, but they want to reach beyond the UK.

They aren't the first royals with bigger goals, but I think they tried to reach them too fast. They were looking down of the UK people, but still expected them to fund them.

????

I think I'd remember ordering a subordinate to cooperate with a journalist writing my unauthorized biography. Pretty sure I'd also remember writing the talking points I ordered that subordinate to pass on.

They both look fantastic at the Salute to Freedom Gala. Meghan in red, a homage perhaps to Flanders poppies (it’s Remembrance Day here in Australia) and Harry wearing his medals and looking cheerful and happy.

I loved it when a reporter called out to Meghan to ask whether she was proud of Harry and she replied ‘I’m always proud of him’.’ It underscores how close and loving this couple are, IMO.

Last edited:
No matter what intentions Meghan had going into this lawsuit (and I'm of the belief that she had ample and just reasons to start the lawsuit for the reasons she did) but besides believing that the law (with the advice given by her team of lawyers) and the courts being fair and balanced, I think the mistake was in not allowing for the opposing side to play dirty pool every which way to Sunday that they could. Both legally and in using the lawsuit to further enrich their pockets with the stories.

No matter how well armored you are and how prepared you are, you dive into a pool of blood thirsty sharks willingly and you take your life into your own hands. They don't say "excuse me... can I bite you now?". The go straight for the jugular.

I stand by the opinion that she should have heeded her own words. But... what is done is done. I just hope it's all laid to rest soon.

The Mail’s not playing dirty pool, though. Meghan sued them and they’ve used the available legal options to defend themselves. Their reasons for defending themselves so robustly, instead of quietly settling out of court, likely do have more to do with profit than any sense that they’ve been truly wronged, but that’s true for a lot of lawsuits.

I’d actually be inclined to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt here if it weren’t for the email. It’s easy to forget a couple of casual in person talks, or a few short texts. But this was a lengthy and detailed email about subjects that were already emotionally charged at the time she wrote it. That’s not something she’d forget about.

When you’ve managed to lose the moral high ground in a lawsuit against a British tabloid it might be time to step back and work on yourself.

Information about the gala and it?s purpose.

Omid Scobie
@scobie
?
58m
Replying to
@scobie
For those asking, support from the gala helps the non-profit
@IntrepidMuseum
offer educational experiences to over 50,000 students each year and provide programs to help veterans reintegrate into civilian life, build connection and community, and address mental health.

This reminds me of the Lance Armstrong saga. Armstrong was a cyclist who made a spectacular comeback to win the Tour de France after recovering from cancer. A former teammate accused him of using steroids, and he sued for defamation. He won, and actually collected a fair amount of the judgment. Years later, it came out that he had used steroids, and the teammate had been telling the truth.

I remember being amazed that someone who knew he'd done the thing alleged would take such an aggressive litigation posture. He was the one who dragged the matter into court, and it was a huge risk. Perjury ended up being the least of his problems. Meghan seems to have done the same thing here ... but why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom