The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Harry and Meghan cash in is their royal status and connections. Hence after 2 years they need to give something "royal" to secure other deals and to Netflix. They need the Buckingham Palace balcony and the carriage ride.

2 years of not seeing little Archie and never meeting little Lili is a good way of persuading the Queen and Charles to give them exactly what they want. And by doing so, many (Harry and Meghan friends and supporters) will see it as if the royal family really are guilty of all that Harry and Meghan have accused them.
IMHO, meetings with the royal family in private - absolutely, Invictus Games - absolutely, Trooping the Colour and Jubilee - a BIG mistake.

Totally agree with this. Private citizens do NOT make balcony appearances.

For all we know, maybe they brought Archie and Lilibeth to see the Queen....

Very unlikely as they only met Charles and Camilla for 15vminutes and also had very limited time with the queen (based on the queen's agenda for that day). Moreover, Meghan told some people today that she is missing Archie and Lili and will be flying back home tomorrow to see them.

Why was meghan on stage making a speech anyway? I will tell you why because invictus is their stage for the netflix documentary about themselves. She did not need to be on that stage if it was about the veterans it would make more sense to have a veteran on stage talking so netflix can film them instead it was the harry and meghan show with their script. This is a harry and meghan reality show folks not an informative documentary about disabled veterans.

I was also wondering what Meghans official role is with Invictus... Isn't she just the wife of the founder? Why would the founder want to kiss his wife on stage and why would the founder's wife (who played no role in initiating this event as they met afterwards) give a speech at an opening event?

It great that she is supporting her husband but this public role seems strange. It's isn't an American political event where family members are used to promote their spouse, parent or child... This should be about the Games and the participants and not to glorify a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also wondering what Meghans official role is with Invictus... Isn't she just the wife of the founder? Why would the founder want to kiss his wife on stage and why would the founder's wife (who played no role in initiating this event as they met afterwards) give a speech at an opening event?

It great that she is supporting her husband but this public role seems strange. It's isn't an American political event where family members are used to promote their spouse, parent or child... This should be about the Games and the participants and not to glorify a couple.

It is very American. And well so be it. Life moves on. People change. Harry’s moved on. I remember that first diffident speech at the first Invictus Games. The family has moved on too. Life is about loss and change and those that survive are the most adaptable.

Personally, Invictus is an amazing organisation that provides valuable hope and purpose and drive to many. Professionally it is probably the best thing Harry will do. Was to my ears the speeches OTT and misplaced. Well yes.

Harry’s relationship with his birth family should be entirely private and he has no place in the platinum celebrations. Or really anywhere on a public stage with his family. They have moved on too and building a new public future for themselves.

Last edited:
Why was meghan on stage making a speech anyway? I will tell you why because invictus is their stage for the netflix documentary about themselves. She did not need to be on that stage if it was about the veterans it would make more sense to have a veteran on stage talking so netflix can film them instead it was the harry and meghan show with their script. This is a harry and meghan reality show folks not an informative documentary about disabled veterans.

Meghan did not make "a speech". She was asked by the organiszation to introduce the founder and initiator of these fantastic Invictus Games.

The speech was done by the Duke.

I completely agree that including Harry and his family in Jubilee celebrations will be a mistake. They have attacked and put in bad light the BRF so why suddenly they should be forgiven and accepted back by letting them to assist on formal occasions? FOrgiving and meeting them in private is one thing and allowing them to appear publicly with other members of BRF is another thing.:sad:

To end this discussion so we don't close the thread, the balcony appearance will be a representation of the monarchy and nothing more need be read into it.

Well she is his wife and the whole thing is family, hence many of the veterans were sat with their kids. She was not making a speech rather introducing, she had every right to be there frankly.

We haven't been paying attention then, all the queen's family are there. The York's and Queen Anne's children make an appearance, so private citizens do make an appearance on the balcony. Frankly I don't think Harry and Meghan need to be there, cause who wants to fly 16 hours to stand and wave on balcony

Meghan did not make "a speech". She was asked by the organiszation to introduce the founder and initiator of these fantastic Invictus Games.

The speech was done by the Duke.

Did they really ask her or did she insert herself because they needed a scene for netflix. It wouldnt be the first time these two try to insert themselves where they didnt belong or were not asked to be in.

Did they really ask her or did she insert herself because they needed a scene for netflix. It wouldnt be the first time these two try to insert themselves where they didnt belong or were not asked to be in.

I think it’s likely that the veterans and their families enjoyed seeing her,and it’s not uncommon for a spouse to introduce the speaker.

I think it’s likely that the veterans and their families enjoyed seeing her,and it’s not uncommon for a spouse to introduce the speaker.

Its simple the sussex needed a scene for netflix and that was it.. has nothing to do with veterans or their families.

I completely agree that including Harry and his family in Jubilee celebrations will be a mistake. They have attacked and put in bad light the BRF so why suddenly they should be forgiven and accepted back by letting them to assist on formal occasions? FOrgiving and meeting them in private is one thing and allowing them to appear publicly with other members of BRF is another thing.:sad:
It is a matter of fact, reality and truth. Should HM and Prince Charles decide to invite them to the balcony they have every right to be there. This jubilee does not just mark the time HM has been Queen but also marks the time that Prince Charles and Princess Anne's life changed forever, more than that, it marks the entire family's time in the spotlight since her Ascention to the Throne. She could not have done it as well as she has without the total support of her late husband and her children and so on.

Harry and Meghan’s appearing at the Invictus Games has guaranteed huge amounts of international publicity for the Games and the competitors. Even here in Melbourne the news media has been on to it each day.

And Invictus is Harry’s own creation. He’s been absolutely devoted to it, and to the maimed and wounded vets who compete in this competition, from the beginning. As dozens of quoted letters from the vets speaking to what it means to them to compete, has shown. I remember reading the letters, all archived in this forum.
People seem to react to snarling media accusations that seem to require no proof whatsoever except a strong anti-Sussex attitude. If they have read about the inception of the Invictus Games they either don't care that it came from what Harry saw and experienced during his time in the Army or they ignore it because it is an inconvenient truth. Not everyone hates the Sussexes as this 2022 Invictus Games has shown. The people most affected by the IA are the veterans and their families and they know that without Harry being "Royal" this would never have been able to get off the ground. It took a vision, a dream and a lot of plain old hard work and for Harry, lots of glad-handing.

On top of this, a Netflix documentary would make the competition more well-known for veterans who don't about the competition along with, more importantly, wealthy businesses who would be encouraged to sponsor the event in the future.
It was always intended that the IA would become self-supporting and grow from that but, an inconvenient Virus caused a very large speed bump. That meant that these games are basically the make or break games and needed to be loud, shiny and in your face for the very reasons HanRach Dominion explained.

I'm inclined to agree. Harry set the Games up, which was a wonderful thing to do, but you don't really expect to go to any event and find the partner of the person in charge making a speech about "He's the father of our two little ones" and how much they love and respect them. I'm sure she does love and respect him, and I'm sure that he's a great dad, but the Invictus Games are about disabled veterans, not the family life of the Sussexes.
The Invictus Games are the end result of raising up wounded veterans and their families because everyone needs their own support system and the family is the front line. The mental health of Veterans impacts their significant others and it can go either way. Anything that highlights the plight of Veterans and shames governments that really don't want to see injured Vets is a plus. It's not just physical health and achievement but mental health as well.

Umm, let's get real here. HM's extended family is, nonetheless, family. Her sister's children and grandchildren are treated like her own, just as her cousins and many others that are not full-time workers but still carry out many engagements in the name of the Queen. Harry is not a private citizen, he is one of the Queen's grandchildren and one of her heir's sons. My advice is to build a bridge and get over it. Decisions about the structure of the BRF are in the purview of HM and Prince Charles.

Just reading so much bile is deeply depressing and I am so very happy that Charles, Camilla and HM got a chance to have a face to face meeting privately and without all the noise and hate (both ways) from the media. It was so nice to read a short statement about what had been and gone and, to find that even Palace staff etc. knew nothing about it leads me to believe that "sources close to" and "people in the know" were not able to supply the requisite plus or minus opinion until waaaaay after the visit was over. Okay, so they are making up for it now

IMHO they are just plain bullying the Queen or, to put it more accurately, they are trying to bully her.

Last edited:
To end this discussion so we don't close the thread, the balcony appearance will be a representation of the monarchy and nothing more need be read into it.

I agree. If HM the Queen requests as she's done throughout her reign, that her extended family (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and cousins) attend the balcony appearance as they've now done for decades, it would be as a representation of the monarchy.

As Marg pointed out in her post, the majority of those who make an annual appearance are not official representatives of the monarchy but they are family members who happen to be part of the British Royal Family.

I agree. If HM the Queen requests as she's done throughout her reign, that her extended family (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and cousins) attend the balcony appearance as they've now done for decades, it would be as a representation of the monarchy.

As Marg pointed out in her post, the majority of those who make an annual appearance are not official representatives of the monarchy but they are family members who happen to be part of the British Royal Family.

It would not be a good representation of the monarchy if she allowed andrew and harry to be on the balcony. Those 2 cause direct disrespect for the monarchy with their insults(harry) and thru their actions(andrew) and it would not be a positive thing for the monarchy to have those kind of people displayed on official events. Many years ago princess alexandras daughter angered the queen by doing a magazine interview talking about the royal family. The queen punished her by not allowing her to make any balcony appearances. Mind you her comments were tame compared to what harry has said about the monarchy. No reason why she cant do the same now. Its not like the balcony didnt display a "slimmed down" monarchy before.

No, that's your interpretation ?

And the sussex previous behaviors...

I think it’s likely that the veterans and their families enjoyed seeing her,and it’s not uncommon for a spouse to introduce the speaker.[/QUOTE

This makes sense to me because it isn't just about the vets competing. It is a ongoing process where the entire family of the vet is involved. Y'know, behind every vet is a family that supports them. So it makes sense that Meghan is supportive of Harry in this.

Granted, it also makes sense that all this Netflix stuff does kind of detract from Harry being totally altruistic in this endeavor but let's face it. They *do* have to make their own way in the world these days.

I'm still of the opinion that the Invictus Games is perhaps Harry's most crowning achievements.

That's disappointing. I was hoping that the interview was just about the Invictus Games. Obviously I don't know how the Queen feels, but it seems unlikely that she would want the details of that private family meeting blabbed all over the media. If Harry wishes to discuss his life with Meghan in public, then obviously that is their choice and their business, but the meeting with the Queen is different.

That's disappointing. I was hoping that the interview was just about the Invictus Games. Obviously I don't know how the Queen feels, but it seems unlikely that she would want the details of that private family meeting blabbed all over the media. If Harry wishes to discuss his life with Meghan in public, then obviously that is their choice and their business, but the meeting with the Queen is different.

In fairness, on the BBC Alex Jones asked him about the Queen and he didn't seem best pleased to be asked it. Was more interested in discussing athletes. This could be just a promotional plug...when you are the grandson of a living legend it will be hard to be asked about anything else. Hard when you are trying to make a name for yourself away from family business. Of course if he proves to be the one flaunting the connection, as has happened in the past, that is different.

Here's a sneak preview of the Duke of Sussex's interview with Hoda Kotb.

https://www.today.com/news/news/pri...en-elizabeth-protected-right-people-rcna25037

Prince Harry says he’s ensuring the queen is ‘protected,’ has ‘right people around her’

In a TODAY exclusive, the prince tells Hoda Kotb he's also happy living in California "for the time being."

Prince Harry might be ready to mend old wounds.
While taking part in the fifth Invictus Games — a sporting event for injured and sick veterans — the Duke of Sussex, 37, sat down with TODAY's Hoda Kotb and opened up about his recent visit with his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II.

“Being with her, it was great,” Harry remarked during the interview, which took place in The Hague in the Netherlands. “It was just so nice to see her … She’s on great form.”

Last edited:
Indeed, I am sure that Harry, who last year revealed that "the people around The Queen" intervened to stop him confronting her at the last minute during his exit from public life, has since then done his utmost to control who- I mean, um, place the right people around her, for her own protection.

:previous: I think it is a belief than was proved true in that both Harry and Meghan were able to negotiate a meeting with Charles, Camilla and HM without it appearing in all the rags pontificating that HM must or must not do this or should or should not allow that.

We know that all those that aspire to be the one and only arbiter of what is right according to their personal views and misuse their position to control family access to HM (princes Charles and Andrew were stymied by this a couple of years ago) and it must have burned that she still talks to family members both by phone or Zoom.

Seeing the visits noted in an unbiased way in the mainstream newspapers was proof positive that things at the top are routinely managed by those exceeding their authority and the result has exacerbated discord in HM's family.

There is no way this is a good thing for the Queen's health or happiness as when the visit became public all the Royal Arbiters of supposedly "correct" Royal behaviour have been shaking their poison pen at her and warning of the PR disaster that would be unleashed if they were at any celebrations.

Despite the best (worst) efforts, Harry is still talking to his father and granny as indeed is Andrew.

Indeed, I am sure that Harry, who last year revealed that "the people around The Queen" intervened to stop him confronting her at the last minute during his exit from public life, has since then done his utmost to control who- I mean, um, place the right people around her, for her own protection.

I'm glad that Harry was able to see his grandmother and he really didn't reveal any details of the meeting - just that they were glad to see each other. However, I find it strange that Harry, who is living in California, is claiming that he has been "protecting" the Queen and determining who should be around her. I guess we'll see when the full interview is broadcast.

I'm glad that Harry was able to see his grandmother and he really didn't reveal any details of the meeting - just that they were glad to see each other. However, I find it strange that Harry, who is living in California, is claiming that he has been "protecting" the Queen and determining who should be around her. I guess we'll see when the full interview is broadcast.

I agree that it will be best to view the interview so we can understand the context of his remarks.

Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, receives protection from the Dutch authorities. He was seen visiting locations of the Invictus Games whilst driving in a colonne of armoured cars. The Duke himself is transported in a grey Audi from the DKDB (the Dutch Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service): picture.

One of the official duties of the DKDB, vested in law, is to protect members of the Royal House and their guests. But -apart from being a guest of the Royal House- (which is unlikely in the framework of the Games) also on instigation of the National Coordinator for Security and Counter-Terrorism any individual or any organization in the Netherlands can be provided protection service.

Here's a sneak preview of the Duke of Sussex's interview with Hoda Kotb.

https://www.today.com/news/news/pri...en-elizabeth-protected-right-people-rcna25037

The good thing is that Harry can always be relied upon to make you laugh. In thsi case, his concern about the Queen being looked after by the right people did just that. Bless him! ?

I'm glad that Harry was able to see his grandmother and he really didn't reveal any details of the meeting - just that they were glad to see each other.

We haven't quite seen the whoile interview, so not quite sure what else he may have said in the interview, or what else he may choose to say at a subsequent interview or in his book.

However, I find it strange that Harry, who is living in California, is claiming that he has been "protecting" the Queen and determining who should be around her. I guess we'll see when the full interview is broadcast.

I guess he may argue that his actions over the last two years have been designed to protect the Queen, perhaps from the generational pain that he has referred to previous;ly.

I think Harry's comments will have struck a chord with families the world over who have cared for an aging relative. I know they did for me.

Granny, who is aging and has lived her whole life in Middletown, requires increasing care from her children and grandchildren. Her two sons and their children all live in Middletown and chip in, basing their decisions on their frequent interactions with Granny and those small differences they see in the day to day.

Sue, who was Granny's favorite child, moved to Seattle, married and raised her family there. She talks to Granny every Sunday and FaceTimes to show the kids. She visits alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas days. Her children are the apple of Granny's eyes.

But every time her brothers go to make a decision about Granny, there is Sue on the phone. "Is that decision best for Mom? Should those people be caring for Mom? I talked to Mom last Sunday on the phone and..." Sue has lost touch with the fact that as much as she cares and everyone loves her, she simply isn't there and isn't best placed to make decisions any more. And when the home health aide that Sue sent over everyone's objections shows up at Granny's door, the brothers quietly turn her away.

That's immediately what I thought of when I heard Harry's comments about him placing people around The Queen to protect her. It's the same situation playing out today in millions of families around the globe. It may bring Harry some comfort or sense of being involved to think he is pulling the strings in these decisions, as it does for people the world over.

As people in our lives age, it can be very, very hard to accept the trade-offs we made in life for what they are. This is true no matter how much we love the spouse we moved to a new continent for, the career that caused us to move 3,000 miles from our nearest family, the college that meant we relocated to a new state and never came back, the dream that we chased to a new country. In Harry's comments (released so far), I hear a hint of: I love my life and wouldn't change a thing, but it is hard to accept the other things I am missing (such as influence around my beloved grandmother).

The good thing is that Harry can always be relied upon to make you laugh. In thsi case, his concern about the Queen being looked after by the right people did just that. Bless him! ?

Exactly! His view of his value to ANYTHING is so exaggerated .... I can't even! He shouldn't have trashed the entire monarchial system during his Oprah Winfrey interview if he was so worried about the Queen. :ohmy::ohmy::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

I think Harry's comments will have struck a chord with families the world over who have cared for an aging relative. I know they did for me.

Granny, who is aging and has lived her whole life in Middletown, requires increasing care from her children and grandchildren. Her two sons and their children all live in Middletown and chip in, basing their decisions on their frequent interactions with Granny and those small differences they see in the day to day.

Sue, who was Granny's favorite child, moved to Seattle, married and raised her family there. She talks to Granny every Sunday and FaceTimes to show the kids. She visits alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas days. Her children are the apple of Granny's eyes.

But every time her brothers go to make a decision about Granny, there is Sue on the phone. "Is that decision best for Mom? Should those people be caring for Mom? I talked to Mom last Sunday on the phone and..." Sue has lost touch with the fact that as much as she cares and everyone loves her, she simply isn't there and isn't best placed to make decisions any more. And when the home health aide that Sue sent over everyone's objections shows up at Granny's door, the brothers quietly turn her away.

That's immediately what I thought of when I heard Harry's comments about him placing people around The Queen to protect her. It's the same situation playing out today in millions of families around the globe. It may bring Harry some comfort or sense of being involved to think he is pulling the strings in these decisions, as it does for people the world over.

As people in our lives age, it can be very, very hard to accept the trade-offs we made in life for what they are. This is true no matter how much we love the spouse we moved to a new continent for, the career that caused us to move 3,000 miles from our nearest family, the college that meant we relocated to a new state and never came back, the dream that we chased to a new country. In Harry's comments (released so far), I hear a hint of: I love my life and wouldn't change a thing, but it is hard to accept the other things I am missing (such as influence around my beloved grandmother).

Well exactly. Did you ever hear about the cousins from America who come back every 10 years... families the world over.

One side does it to gain some.self esteem. The other bites their lip (mostly) and feels awful about it.

Not every family are like that though. Some are accurate for seeing the situation the way it is. Which brings its own problems.

The Queen has a family and staff who have been there while the Sussexes are away. Humbly I would acknowledge it would be better for Harry to acknowledge that. He isn't there...it happens. In the last years of her life he isn't there. It happens but he is on a bent of having an extraordinary relationship with his grandmother. Just doesn't make him look so good.

I would also suggest it shows his continuing anger. The 'right' people are the ones who do what he thinks is right. Harry has barely seen his family in 2 and a half years. He has had no time to process his anger and what has happened with his family...and they have moved on. Of course he has too but he won't see that. That he would have been: they will miss me, they will see how great I am. How dare they. I am indispensable; is normal and part of the acceptance journey but he may be stuck there.

Also he gets pummelled continuously for everything he says and does in the media. Not easy either. He isn't the golden boy anymore. I mean none of it must be easy for him. His family moved on. He isn't really missed (professionally), the press has continued to be bad and he is struggling to find a place.

I mean the Invictus games has been a slick brilliantly done PR machine. Whatever personal feelings.The recent royal PR less so. So really he is doing fine...even if Invictus is all he has it is a lot more than many people do.

Last edited:
Exactly! His view of his value to ANYTHING is so exaggerated .... I can't even! He shouldn't have trashed the entire monarchial system during his Oprah Winfrey interview if he was so worried about the Queen. :ohmy::ohmy::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

The Monarchical system is not perfect and should be subject to critic and analysis. It must evolve to stay relevant to the public it serves.

Harry never criticised the Queen, he criticised the system.

Years ago, Prince Charles was not allowed to marry the woman he loved because of silly rules. We all know how much unhappiness that caused.
Later on, Prince William was allowed to marry the girl he loved even though she is a commoner and is not a virgin. As a result, they have a much happier marriage and family. So the system can change to be more humane.

Harry does not want to participate in the Royal Rota system. He doesn't want to share pictures of his children and want them grow up privately. The only way to do that was for him to leave.

The tabloids are getting themselves into hysterics over whether he will be on the balcony. Does he even want to be on the balcony?

To be clear, the royal family will benefit from him showing up not the other way around.

The Monarchical system is not perfect and should be subject to critic and analysis. It must evolve to stay relevant to the public it serves.

Harry never criticised the Queen, he criticised the system.

Years ago, Prince Charles was not allowed to marry the woman he loved because of silly rules. We all know how much unhappiness that caused.
Later on, Prince William was allowed to marry the girl he loved even though she is a commoner and is not a virgin. As a result, they have a much happier marriage and family. So the system can change to be more humane.

Harry does not want to participate in the Royal Rota system. He doesn't want to share pictures of his children and want them grow up privately. The only way to do that was for him to leave.

The tabloids are getting themselves into hysterics over whether he will be on the balcony. Does he even want to be on the balcony?

To be clear, the royal family will benefit from him showing up not the other way around.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I specifically stated "the entire system" ... yes, while I agree that there are parts of the system which would benefit from modernizing/updating ... both H&M were vicious in that interview. Remember ... H said "... my father and brother ... trapped ..." JMHO, but that's a pretty damning remark.

JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom