The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes - I am sure Americans and New Yorkers will be asking the same question. Along with who is paying for the NYPD crowd controlled ect.

So the Mayor of NYC & the Governor of NY State formally greet a private couple who represent nobody but themselves & who live in the same country.

Do elected officials normally line up to meet celebrities in the USA? I would have thought it was the other way round. Maybe one of our US members could explain.

Yes, actually. US officials often cavort with celebrities to use the free publicity to promote themselves, their policies, the area their representing, etc...

Yes, actually. US officials often cavort with celebrities to use the free publicity to promote themselves, their policies, the area their representing, etc...

Yes but do they do the lining up to greet these celebrities? Like supplicants.

I had thought an American Governor, being the chief executive in their state, was the one who others lined up to meet. Not the other way round.

Interesting. I wonder what Ben Franklin would have made of that.

Last edited:
Yes that's all very well but why do these two get access to this US ambassador?

Can any US citizen get a meeting with such a senior member of the US diplomatic service? He's not even an American!

No they typically don't do these extremes with celebrities but clearly the Mayor, Governor and Ambassador felt differently about the Sussexes nor see them as such. I am a bit surprised by it as well, especially the level of security detail but someone signed off on it.

It is only day one. They are in town until at least Saturday.

They arrived last night. Daily Mail has a video of them having dinner with a friend (looks like Misha Nonoo and hubby).

No they typically don't do these extremes with celebrities but clearly the Mayor, Governor and Ambassador felt differently about the Sussexes nor see them as such. I am a bit surprised by it as well, especially the level of security detail but someone signed off on it.

It is only day one. They are in town until at least Saturday.

They arrived last night. Daily Mail has a video of them having dinner with a friend (looks like Misha Nonoo and hubby).

An interesting perspective that US (Democrat?) officials don't see them as celebrities.

It begs the question what exactly do they see them as? These are legitimate & thought provoking questions for Americans I should think.

An interesting perspective that US (Democrat?) officials don't see them as celebrities.

It begs the question what exactly do they see them as? These are legitimate & thought provoking questions for Americans I should think.

I don't know what people see them as but clearly people don't consider them celebrities. I don't either. They are members of the royal family though not working royals. So it is a weird in between, I guess. And maybe for many, working or not, they don't see then any different. Today would imply as much.

I don't know what people see them as but clearly people don't consider them celebrities. I don't either. They are members of the royal family though not working royals. So it is a weird in between, I guess. And maybe for many, working or not, they don't see then any different. Today would imply as much.

Of a foreign royal family. With no status in the US.

Are they to be feted & protected at US taxpayer expense elsewhere & at other times?

Last edited by a moderator:
They get access because they are the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's grandson and his wife. Top tier British Royals have always and will always have access to the upper classes and the elected officials in the USA. That's the way it is, and the way it has been since at least the 1860's and Albert Edward's cross country trip in the USA.

Are they to be feted & protected at US taxpayer expense elsewhere & at other times?

Protected? On the taxpayer's dime? Only if it's a US government function they are at. Otherwise private security.

Feted? Yes. Of course. They will always be A-list and will be treated that way here.

They get access because they are the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's grandson and his wife. Top tier British Royals have always and will always have access to the upper classes and the elected officials in the USA. That's the way it is, and the way it has been since at least the 1860's and Albert Edward's cross country trip in the USA.

Social access is one thing but access to elected officials is quite another.

It's corrupt.

Social access is one thing but access to elected officials is quite another.

It's corrupt.

Unless they're influencing an election or bribing an official, it's not corrupt. Not here.

Look, I don't care for them, but they are hugely famous and top tier "celebrities" and unless they get in a Prince Andrew-like scandal, they will be for the rest of their lives and thus will always be feted by the great and the good.

Yes that's all very well but why do these two get access to this US ambassador?

Can any US citizen get a meeting with such a senior member of the US diplomatic service? He's not even an American!

The short answer would be "No."

The short answer would be "No."

Any old person is not the grandson of the Queen. So of course they get access. People act like it's a surprise they do. It may not be "fair" but that's the way it is.

Clearly there are some NYC politicians who are keen to meet them, probably because they are royalty, even if they're no longer representing anyone but themselves.

It does really raise the question of "why are they doing this?" though. If they're no longer representing the Queen or anything higher than themselves what good is a 20 minute official photo op? Apart from publicity obviously. It all comes across as rather hollow, a little like the cemetery photoshoot last year, play acting the real thing.

I think we're seeing them try to implement the "Half in, Half out" they originally wanted but freelance. Time will tell if it works once the novelty has warn off.

Unless they're influencing an election or bribing an official, it's not corrupt. Not here.

Look, I don't care for them, but they are hugely famous and top tier "celebrities" and unless they get in a Prince Andrew-like scandal, they will be for the rest of their lives and thus will always be feted by the great and the good.

They get to meet elected officials because of who they are. That's unfair access. That's certainly a form of corruption.

Can't believe many Americans will be be happy with that. A resident foreign prince possibly having the ear of elected officials for decades to come. Raises all sorts of questions surely.

Clearly there are some NYC politicians who are keen to meet them, probably because they are royalty, even if they're no longer representing anyone but themselves.

It does really raise the question of "why are they doing this?" though. If they're no longer representing the Queen or anything higher than themselves what good is a 20 minute official photo op? Apart from publicity obviously. It all comes across as rather hollow, a little like the cemetery photoshoot last year, play acting the real thing.

Hopefully they'll stick to charity. Maybe the pitfalls of this sort of flirtation with politicians is more obvious to Britons?

Last edited:
Can't believe many Americans will be be happy with that. A resident foreign prince possibly having the ear of elected officials for decades to come. Raises all sorts of questions surely.

Nope. Most Americans do not give one single fig about Harry and Meghan meeting anyone that wants to meet them. No one in the general public cares here.

Nope. Most Americans do not give one single fig about Harry and Meghan meeting anyone that wants to meet them. No one in the general public cares here.

Basically. It just aint that deep. And honestly I feel that goes for all of them. People really don't care about the royals all that much to that level. They fun to watch and talk about but... yeah.

It is not surprising that got the reception they did.

Interesting comments from US members on here.

Always good to hear different perspectives. And how British & US attitudes can differ.

It's obvious to me (and Captain Obvious is not who I am) that Harry and Meghan are starting, once again, to step out and build up their lives in a public way and, for me, I have no issues standing out for *anything* about this recent trip to NY. They can afford the hotel. They were assigned security because those that assign security authorized it. They met with high ranking NY state government people and UN people and I can't say the Sussexes finangled it all for publicity purposes. It was for a reason and consented on by *both* parties.

This couple is not going to sit home in their house twiddling their thumbs avoiding public appearances. The more they do, the more people will pay attention to what Harry and Meghan's goals are. It's all *good* if you ask me. ?

Yes, the cemetery photo shoot! IIRC, the Duchess also chose a heavy winter’s coat for that event. Speculation was she had planned to wear it at the Cenotaph but that appearance didn’t happen. Perhaps she plans her wardrobe too far ahead, and then is loathe to make changes.

Yes, the cemetery photo shoot! IIRC, the Duchess also chose a heavy winter’s coat for that event. Speculation was she had planned to wear it at the Cenotaph but that appearance didn’t happen. Perhaps she plans her wardrobe too far ahead, and then is loathe to make changes.

This is where we see the big mistake of the Queen allowing them to keep those titles. She didn't want them to be half in/half out, being royal only on their own terms but that is exactly what they are doing in NY. It wasn't Harry Windsor and Meghan Markle meeting these powerful people and being given a tour of places in the city, this was TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Her coat wasn't really heavy winter. It was quite chilly this morning and it is very windy now. Was suppose to rain but so far it has not. I saw many people with jackets on this morning. It isn't hot by any means but I can see why some would find it strange.

They get to meet elected officials because of who they are. That's unfair access. That's certainly a form of corruption

There are many things in life that are unfair but most do not meet the definition of corruption. This doesn't meet the standards of corruption.

Harry and Meghan never said they would disappear. They couldn't just demand to meet with mayor and governor. The mayor and governor chose to meet with them. Harry and Meghan seemed to have their own security. The mayor and governor have their own security details too. They would be with them no matter where they were or who they were with.

Albert Edward was the working PoW, representing HM the Queen.

These two, as many have pointed out, are not representing anything but themselves. Moreover this is definitely "getting into politics". Without bias, but still extremely political.

And to do what, except raise their own profile?

Even the Windsors didn't have this sort of chutzpah. (Except once. They went to Nazi Germany to be treated with a high profile.)

Last edited:
This is where we see the big mistake of the Queen allowing them to keep those titles. She didn't want them to be half in/half out, being royal only on their own terms but that is exactly what they are doing in NY. It wasn't Harry Windsor and Meghan Markle meeting these powerful people and being given a tour of places in the city, this was TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Unfortunately the Queen doesn't seem to have any sway on them anymore - if she ever did. It is up to the American people to 'control' them now. If Americans are okay with having non elected self appointed ambassadors of themselves running around then they may be happy in provide them with access most dignitaries would kill for.

yes - I am sure Americans and New Yorkers will be asking the same question. Along with who is paying for the NYPD crowd controlled ect.

I am a New Yorker, and quite honestly I would not have know about this event, if not for Daily Mail spread. There is a lot of corruption in New York government offices, as well as in the UN, think of this as you may.....

The question was asked, but no answer given

Doesn't it take an act of parliament to remove the dukedom of Sussex? They are not using the HRH. Even if dukedom and HRH were formally taken away would not they still be Prince and Princess Henry (Harry)?

They get to meet elected officials because of who they are. That's unfair access. That's certainly a form of corruption.

At the same time, American superstars are fawned over in the UK by politicians, which must greatly displease their constituents. Angelina Jolie buddying around with William Hague when he was in office, for instance. He always had time for her. She and her children also got a private tour of Buckingham Palace.

Like Harry and Meghan, she has philanthropic interests.

I doubt the mayor of New York will be re-elected, so I think this is just one-off

There are many things in life that are unfair but most do not meet the definition of corruption. This doesn't meet the standards of corruption.

Harry and Meghan never said they would disappear. They couldn't just demand to meet with mayor and governor. The mayor and governor chose to meet with them. Harry and Meghan seemed to have their own security. The mayor and governor have their own security details too. They would be with them no matter where they were or who they were with.

I am sure they did not demand the meeting, but their PR team surely asked for a meeting, there are plenty of major politicians at the UN gathering, but only Harry and Meghan get a big spread in Daily Mail, think of it what you will

I doubt the mayor of New York will be re-elected, so I think this is just one-off
The mayor of NYC is term limited and cannot run again. The new governor intends on running for a full term in the upcoming election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom