The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure that the organizations that are behind this campaign for paid leave for all are very pleased to have Meghan speak out for their cause but I seriously doubt that it will have any kind of impact on the legislation itself. But that´s the American way. Citizens have the right to express their opinions at any time.

Nothing really majorly inappropriate was actually done although Iḿ sure a lot of people will be scratching their heads at British peerage titles being used but it´s not uncommon for a person to use their professional letterheads to write letters to anyone.

Give it 3 days and the world will move on to something else if they already haven´t. This is not a big deal by any means. ?

Although she did nothing inappropiate with using "The Office of the Duke & Duchess of Sussex" and "Meghan, Duchess of Sussex", I found it odd and almost confusing since she is using a British title whilst expressing her opinion on an incredibly important topic that is a US issue. I think if she had used "Meghan Markle", the message would have been so much more powerful as this would show her "American roots". Using the Duchess title in this case almost watered down her message

Maybe there is ONE person in the world who doesn't know that MM is Duchess of Sussex ! LOL !

Meghan Markle was Meghan’s professional name when she was an actress. She hasn’t used it since before her marriage to Harry. She is a Duke’s wife, whether she lives in the US or not. I really don’t see why she should be forced into using her maiden name or a surname like Mountbatten- Windsor which she doesn’t use, in order to satisfy others. If Meghan is a Duchess, and she is, then IMO she shouldn’t be automatically reproved for signing her own name and styling to a letter.

Last edited:
Meghan Markle was Meghan’s professional name when she was an actress. She hasn’t used it since before her marriage to Harry. She is a Duke’s wife, whether she lives in the US or not. I really don’t see why she should be forced into using a maiden name or surname like Mountbatten- Windsor which she doesn’t use, in order to satisfy others. If Meghan is a Duchess, and she is, then IMO she shouldn’t be automatically reproved for signing her own name and styling to a letter.

Although I've stated that it did look odd to write to US federal legislators and use the peerage titles and stationery, as long as the Queen, the palace and the British government don't have a problem with how Meghan signs her name, neither will I.

...as long as the Queen, the palace and the British government don't have a problem with how Meghan signs her name...

They might very well. Using your royally-granted title to write to Congress as a US citizen, not as a private act but as a PR one, is basically exactly the sort of "royal/politics mixing" that's anathema to the BRF. Not respecting the Queen or what she represents, at all.

We just may not have heard about the problem, yet.

They might very well. Using your royally-granted title to write to Congress as a US citizen, not as a private act but as a PR one, is basically exactly the sort of "royal/politics mixing" that's anathema to the BRF. Not respecting the Queen or what she represents, at all.

We just may not have heard about the problem, yet.

There's a difference here though. Harry and Meghan aren't using "royal" titles but rather peerage titles. I would presume that there's no problem with peers being in politics at all seeing that as one whole branch of the British Parliament consists of the House of Lords. :D

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

As a US citizen, Meghan has the right to voice her thoughts in a letter to her representatives on any matter. Most US citizens contact the representatives that are elected from their area though. I do agree that using a British peerage title seems awfully strange to see when it concerns American politics and policy.

As much as I think the letter was well written and brings up some great points of why paid leave for all is a grand idea, I don't see it happening on a federal level. Right now, places are finding it hard to find employees. I don't see places like McDonald's or Burger King hiring in people and giving them paid leave for maternity/paternity. Not on hourly paid wages anyways. A salaried employee for a corporation may be different and include this in their employment package (some already do). Many employers already honor maternity leaves but paternity leaves for the father isn't something that is generally something included in employment packages.

I believe, honestly, that the US government would be best to leave this up to the individual employers to add or not as they choose. Let's get this country's employment rate to a better level before we start debating how much paid leave for new parents is included.

Nice try, Meghan, though. Not every job in the US is equipped to offer paid leave for an extended time for new parents though. [emoji2]

Very good point raised Osipi, especially on the variations between different companies across industry. Without going to far into politics, the idea of paid leave is very complex and certainly not “one size fits all”. I could see why there are rigorous debates.

Honestly, I think Meghan is going into the muddy water of US politics whilst signing off with a British peerage title. I agree with previous posters, where it’s odd that Meghan is “campaigning” or speaking about US legislative topics while still using a British peerage title from marrying Harry. It also goes against the grain that Meghan is a “strong independent women”, where some modern feminists have been adamant about.

Last edited:
There's a difference here though. Harry and Meghan aren't using "royal" titles but rather peerage titles. I would presume that there's no problem with peers being in politics at all seeing that as one whole branch of the British Parliament consists of the House of Lords. :D

Royally-granted, as all titles are. Further to that, do or did you see the late DoE, the Earl of Wessex, or the Duke of Cambridge sitting in the House of Lords — or working as members of the British Royal Family?

Meghan and Harry are not using the titles to sound like British peers. They're using them because they were granted them solely as members of the BRF — as new peerages are generally confined to, these days.

As Duke of Sussex if Harry had ever wanted a seat in the current House of Lords? I would have liked to have seen him try.

The Duke of Windsor was given his peerage nearly solely to prevent him from getting into anything political in the UK.

And British peers in American politics? Yes, there might be a problem.

Last edited:

Okay, so, they're using their British peerage titles when writing a letter to US politicians about US politics. Do we think that Sir Richard Branson would sign an open letter on the same topic to the same officials as "Sir Richard Branson, former Chairman/CEO of Virgin Group"? Or would he just sign it without the "Sir"? The "Sir" certainly wouldn't carry more weight and, frankly, most Americans would raise an eyebrow at it if he wrote an open letter to US politicians on any issue and included it. Even though he's perfectly entitled to it, Americans would be all "uhm, yeah, no, don't care about your British title, thankyouverymuch."

Meghan was totes using her British style because it is what makes her famous. And, let's just cut to the chase, being an ensemble cast member of a cable TV drama doesn't make you "A-list" Hollywood famous. It doesn't even make you "B-list" Hollywood famous unless you're the lead. It does make her successful, in the sense that she was paying the bills and making connections that gave her other income stream opportunities, but it does not make her famous. Dating and then marrying Harry made her famous.

If most Americans wouldn’t, as you say about Richard Branson including his title in a letter, ‘care about his title, thank you very much’ (in other words not take any notice) why does it matter so much if Meghan signs herself Duchess of Sussex? If people don’t take notice then it shouldn’t make any difference, should it.

Last edited:
If most Americans wouldn’t, as you say about Richard Branson including his title in a letter, ‘care about his title, thank you very much’ (in other words not take any notice) why does it matter so much if Meghan signs herself Duchess of Sussex? If people don’t take notice then it shouldn’t make any difference, should it.

That is not the correct interpretation of "don't care about your title, thankyouverymuch" from an American perspective. The correct interpretation is "your title is irrelevant and you are being pretentious by signing anything with a title since that's not something you earned through your own merit but something you got by being born into the right family or marrying the right man."

Though in the case of Richard Branson - he did at least earn his "Sir" by his own contributions to British industry and society.

It is absolutely something that people will notice - and most Americans will scoff at it and say, in the immortal words of that great Canadian songstress, Shania Twain, "that don't impress me much."

Although I've stated that it did look odd to write to US federal legislators and use the peerage titles and stationery, as long as the Queen, the palace and the British government don't have a problem with how Meghan signs her name, neither will I.

I don't think RF care what MM and Harry do at this point, RF has given up on them

The Duchess of Sussex promoting her book "The bench":

TRF member TLLK has kindly provided the following news links:

The Duke of Sussex will speak on "Internet Lie Machine", an event hosted by Wired magazine on November 9.

The Duchess of Sussex will participate in an online conference hosted by the New York Times to discuss "women who reach economic and professional equality":

** californianewstimes: Prince Harry to speak out on ‘the internet lie machine’ and ‘media propaganda’ at Wired summit **

And as a follow-up for the Paid Leave appeal:

** thehill: Meghan Markle personally called GOP senators to push paid leave: report **

'Yes.' She said, 'This is Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex," . Give me a break.

And on and on and on they go. They are just relentless in their exploitation of British heritage, history & culture. Ruthless in their disregard for decency & convention. No wonder so many in Britain regard them with an icy contempt.

This is what the woke would call cultural appropriation I think.

'Yes.' She said, 'This is Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex," . Give me a break.

And on and on and on they go. They are just relentless in their exploitation of British heritage, history & culture. Ruthless in their disregard for decency & convention. No wonder so many in Britain regard them with an icy contempt.

This is what the woke would call cultural appropriation I think.

It seems that is what the senator thought as well...

"Much to my surprise, she called me on my private line and she introduced herself as the Duchess of Sussex, which is kind of ironic," Collins told Politico's Senate reporter Marianne LeVine. “I was happy to talk with her. But I’m more interested in what the people of Maine are telling me about it."

Apparently, a Democratic senator gave out private phone numbers of several GOP (women) senators to Meghan, so she could use her British royal title to insert herself in American politics in an attempt to convince them to agree to paid family leave.

The Duchess of Sussex promoting her book "The bench":

The rights or wrongs of her using her title aside, she just sounds stupid introducing herself to children like that. Saying, "Hi I'm Meghan", would have sounded much better as kids neither know nor care about what a Duchess is.

The rights or wrongs of her using her title aside, she just sounds stupid introducing herself to children like that. Saying, "Hi I'm Meghan", would have sounded much better as kids neither know nor care about what a Duchess is.

You mean she doesn’t sound like a regular person? ???????

You mean she doesn’t sound like a regular person? ��������������

I don't have a clue what your post means.

Last edited:
Although she is technically not wrong, inserting yourself into American politics or politically-charged topics using a British peerage title is plain stupid. Using a British peerage/royal title in a country where a lot of the politicians and constituents have English descendants that were opposed to the very institution these titles derive from is not only ironic but will turn off the very people she is trying to collaborate with. The comments by Senator Susan Collins illustrates the sentiment.

Meghan is clearly using her title to try to gain an advantage - and it's failing IMHO. Which is a shame, because paid maternity leave etc are really important issues that deserve many champions (both women AND men!). I just wish she drops the whole 'I'm the Duchess of Sussex" because it is her passion and work she does for these issues that should be at the forefront.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks that any senator would change their vote on any issue because Meghan wanted them to. She's entitled to her opinions, the same as anyone else is, but how much influence is she supposed to have? And no-one should be giving out other people's private phone numbers.

I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks that any senator would change their vote on any issue because Meghan wanted them to. She's entitled to her opinions, the same as anyone else is, but how much influence is she supposed to have? And no-one should be giving out other people's private phone numbers.

I'm not an American and only get my views from what is reported, but it seems lobbying, like what Meghan does, is a pretty normal practice in the US. But calling unsolicited to someone's private phone number - that seems very very odd and I'd be finding the person who did the privacy breach

I'm not an American and only get my views from what is reported, but it seems lobbying, like what Meghan does, is a pretty normal practice in the US. But calling unsolicited to someone's private phone number - that seems very very odd and I'd be finding the person who did the privacy breach

The private phone number is what stood out for me too. That (if what is reported, true) is totally unacceptable no matter how badly you want your cause to succeed. Everything else seems above board and how Meghan chooses to do her thing, is perfectly fine. It may *look* bad but there's inherently nothing wrong in what she's doing.

How much a person influences another is dependent on a) how many people they can reach and b) how many actually pay attention. ?

Don’tcha just know those senators went home and said, ‘guess who called me me today”? Regardless of what they thought of the message… My poor old aunt was sure that Barbara Bush had called her once- we didn’t have the heart to tell her it was a robo call.

How do we know that it was just these two GOP Senators that Meghan called in her efforts to get this much needed measure passed? There could have been thirty or forty other Reps or Senators who didn’t react unfavourably and whose opinion on the bill was unchanged or reinforced.

And news on the measure….

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pr...es-panel/74aa9941-6b1d-4894-8d25-65dfffccb429

An article that is mostly about Harry and Meghan?s future speaking engagements next week. However?.

?Overnight, in a major shift, Pelosi announced that four weeks of paid family and medical leave will be added back into the social spending bill, after Democrats had previously scrapped the provision from the package.

Adding a version of the leave policies back into the package brings back to life a central and popular plank of US President Joe Biden's initial proposal.?

How do we know that it was just these two GOP Senators that Meghan called in her efforts to get this much needed measure passed? There could have been thirty or forty other Reps or Senators who didn’t react unfavourably and whose opinion on the bill was unchanged or reinforced.
Because the Democratic senator who gave her the phone numbers said so :flowers:

Meghan is, however, going to call more female GOP senators. I am not sure how many of them there are, but surely far less than 30 or 40. Edit: I checked the numbers. There are 8 of them in total (men are by far in the majority in the Senate (24 women; 76 men); and the Democrats have twice as many women (16) among them than the Republicans).
On a side-note, it is interesting that only the female GOP senators are targeted. Apparently, the assumption is that the GOP male senators won't be interested at all; so, they don't even try.

I personally don't think that a GOP senator is going to persuaded by a call from an American celebrity using her British royal title who is known as woke, pro-Democratic and anti-Trump. Ensuring that opinions remain unchanged or are reinforced is indeed likely to happen - but that's not what Meghan and her Democratic senator-companion are looking for.

Hopefully, they are willing to listen to the arguments brought forward but Meghan being the messenger will more likely work against it rather than for it imho.

Last edited:
There’s this…

https://www.thedailybeast.com/duche...ito-and-collins-to-push-for-paid-family-leave

According to Politico, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) shared the two senators’ phone numbers with the duchess. “She wants to be part of a working group to work on paid leave long term, and she’s going to be,” said Sen. Gillibrand. “Whether this comes to fruition now or later, she’ll be part of a group of women that hopefully will work on paid leave together.”

There’s this…

https://www.thedailybeast.com/duche...ito-and-collins-to-push-for-paid-family-leave

According to Politico, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) shared the two senators’ phone numbers with the duchess. “She wants to be part of a working group to work on paid leave long term, and she’s going to be,” said Sen. Gillibrand. “Whether this comes to fruition now or later, she’ll be part of a group of women that hopefully will work on paid leave together.”

That's great to hear! Given how incredibly passionate Meghan is about paid maternity leave and wants change, sounds like she has like-minded women who see past the title (which I had hoped for)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom