The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1401  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I can't imagine anyone booing at a royal event. British people, or at least the sort who got to royal events, just aren't made like that. The PM of course is an entirely different kettle of fish.

So if people did boo, even if was only a handful, well it talks to the level of frustration & annoyance that many genuinely feel. If people feel aggrieved & insulted & believe that those at the top take no notice then how else are people supposed to act?

That it should have come to this is deeply saddening. Someone at the top needs to listen to public opinion more.
I heard it on the broadcast both as they entered and left and I was honestly surprised because usually at important royal events you'd get cheering no matter what. It is sad but in many ways they brought it on themselves. It was probably only a small group though. There was cheering too of course but that's what you'd expect.
  #1402  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:30 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Sienna, United States
Posts: 81
Update, it looks like some people got to see Archie & Lili (if only I could )

George Northwood posted on instagram and said he was happy to reunite with the Sussex family (used a photo from today), he also said that Archie is the cutest and well mannered and Lili is beautiful.

Seriously, crossing my fingers but at this rate, we won't see them until they're 40 years old lol.
  #1403  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I heard it on the broadcast both as they entered and left and I was honestly surprised because usually at important royal events you'd get cheering no matter what. It is sad but in many ways they brought it on themselves. It was probably only a small group though. There was cheering too of course but that's what you'd expect.
I admit I held my breath as they arrived, and was relieved when they got inside with nothing too unpleasant coming over the audio. The Sussexes being widely booed would have been very unpleasant for everyone to listen to, not least the Queen likely watching at home, and would have gone against the spirit of the service and the entire celebration.
  #1404  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
This isn’t only being reported by the DM. Other outlets are reporting on it as well. Plus there’s photos and videos from the reception and Harry and Meghan weren’t there.



Yeah, that makes sense. It’s possible they wanted to get back to their kids and that’s why they didn’t attend.
I think perhaps that isn't the case. The others all have young children too. In fact all but Peter and William have toddlers/infants and many have moved into hotels for 4/5 days. All the Tindalls and I presume Peter and kids are at the Stafford. I would very much presume with so many children that there was something arranged for them and joined up child care or nannies. Because they were all done by 3pm.

That type of thing was never Meghan's scene anyway and it was probably a mutual agreement what they would not attend.


I mean will they be there tomorrow at either event?
  #1405  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,233
Well one would presume the kids were there when the hairdresser came to do the hair.
  #1406  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:49 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Sienna, United States
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
Well one would perfume the kids were there when the hairdresser came to do the hair.
Figured.

I just wanted to share this cute little update. Cute to me at least.
  #1407  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaMonet View Post
Figured.

I just wanted to share this cute little update. Cute to me at least.
Of course but also self serving on his behave. He is in the business of promoting themselves.

We have no right to ever see the children. They are private citizens. The same for all the children of non working royals. That they choose to take them to events is their own choice.

M and H may also do this as they get bigger. I would not expect to see a 3 year old and 1 year old this weekend. And they live outside the country.
  #1408  
Old 06-03-2022, 03:58 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Sienna, United States
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
Of course but also self serving on his behave. He is in the business of promoting themselves.

We have no right to ever see the children. They are private citizens. The same for all the children of non working royals. That they choose to take them to events is their own choice.

M and H may also do this as they get bigger. I would not expect to see a 3 year old and 1 year old this weekend. And they live outside the country.
It is fair that it could be seen as self-serving. I don't think it is, he seems more like an actual friend and he just wanted to share in the joy. I can admit the part about the kids is a bit of tease and it could've been left at he was happy to see the Sussex family.

And I know we have no right because as much as I'd like to see them. Which is why I say, I wish I could but that's because they're just adorable and I love kiddies when I don't have to take care of them lol.

Honestly, the next time we see them will most likely be a Christmas card and the back of their heads again, which, y'know, I accept. I don't mind cooing over some curls.
  #1409  
Old 06-03-2022, 09:53 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Agreed. I’m glad they’ve come. This may be HM’s only chance to see Lilibet in person. Nothing is guaranteed. And seeing Archie again, of course. (I could say the same for Charles really. He’s getting up there in age.)
The week of the Platinum Jubilee festivities was not the only chance for The Queen to meet and interact with her Sussex great-grandchildren, in fact this week is not a good time at all. If Harry and Meghan wanted to come to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee so be it, but if The Queen getting to know her California-based great-grandchildren was of paramount importance, then arrangements would have been made to have the Sussex children visit either well before or well after the Platinum Jubilee festivities.

P.S.
Perhaps there are plans for the Sussexes and their children to spend time with The Queen and The Prince of Wales in the near future.
  #1410  
Old 06-04-2022, 04:32 AM
MARG's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 10,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Many people do like them but far more do not. The empirical evidence for that is crystal clear. And consistent.

They are very divisive. Profoundly so.

And since the royal family is supposed to help the monarchy in being a unifying force in British society it is a real problem.

And their presence is undoubtedly spoiling the occasion for the monarchyís natural supporters. Just read comments in publications like the The Telegraph for confirmation of that.
Might we see some empirical evidence? It strikes me that the sound varied from agency to agency and, as one of our members said earlier, they booed at a bus blocking their view.

For my part, I believe that some people have manners and some don't. Also, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to like every member of the BRF as they are all different and behave differently and we each see them through the lens of our own preferences and prejudices. But the continued demand to excommunicate them from the BRF entirely is neither fair nor rational.

The British Royal Family is just that, first and foremost, a family and we can all appreciate that family dynamics are at times incomprehensible. But blood is thicker than water and, in my personal experience, while I can fume at my sisters, let anyone else put their oar in, it'll be snapped off pretty damned smartly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I'm no longer a fan of Harry and Meghan's but it is unfortunate that some members of the crowd choose to be negative. This weekend is about Queen Elizabeth's amazing, historic reign and Harry and Meghan attended at her invitation.

I believe they were invited to the lunch but declined in order to maintain a low profile, as they promised.
You could be right but this is also the first time they have left their children in the care of strangers and I am guessing both parents were a little anxious as parents often are.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1411  
Old 06-04-2022, 05:12 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Might we see some empirical evidence? It strikes me that the sound varied from agency to agency and, as one of our members said earlier, they booed at a bus blocking their view.

For my part, I believe that some people have manners and some don't. Also, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to like every member of the BRF as they are all different and behave differently and we each see them through the lens of our own preferences and prejudices. But the continued demand to excommunicate them from the BRF entirely is neither fair nor rational.

The British Royal Family is just that, first and foremost, a family and we can all appreciate that family dynamics are at times incomprehensible. But blood is thicker than water and, in my personal experience, while I can fume at my sisters, let anyone else put their oar in, it'll be snapped off pretty damned smartly.You could be right but this is also the first time they have left their children in the care of strangers and I am guessing both parents were a little anxious as parents often are.
Strangers? I would very much think they brought their nanny. And both have been away over night before.

Newspapers are also saying they didnít attend the family lunch after the trooping.

I mean whatever, it doesnít matter. I hope coming here will not have been a negative experience for them personally.
  #1412  
Old 06-04-2022, 05:17 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,790
To be honest Iím just happy they came so that the Queen could see Archie and meet Lili on her special weekend.

We can all speculate and observe the interactions and come up with our own interpretations of how the Sussex couple has been received but none of us really will ever know.

As an example, I noticed that Lady Sarah and Meghan were chatting in St Paulís and it all seemed very warm and friendly. On the other hand when they were leaving the cathedral and they stopped with Mike, Zara and Peter I didnít get the impression that it was as warm and friendly as their relationship had been in years before. However that is just my personal interpretation of what I saw on TV and other posters may have came to very different conclusions.
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
  #1413  
Old 06-04-2022, 05:25 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
To be honest Iím just happy they came so that the Queen could see Archie and meet Lili on her special weekend.

We can all speculate and observe the interactions and come up with our own interpretations of how the Sussex couple has been received but none of us really will ever know.

As an example, I noticed that Lady Sarah and Meghan were chatting in St Paulís and it all seemed very warm and friendly. On the other hand when they were leaving the cathedral and they stopped with Mike, Zara and Peter I didnít get the impression that it was as warm and friendly as their relationship had been in years before. However that is just my personal interpretation of what I saw on TV and other posters may have came to very different conclusions.
All those people are grown ups. I would imagine they are very adept at small talk. And they arenít the ones with personal issues with them however much hurt they may feel on behave of others.

Harry, Peter, William and Zara were a quadrangle their entire childhoodÖthe Yorkís being younger. That such meetings is also filled with a sense of pain and nostalgia is to be expected. And probably especially for Harry who is the outsider now and who has really stopped making memories with them. You donít always want to be reminded how peoples lives have continued without you.

In any case itís all about Eugenie now. I mean she seems beloved by everyone. And if she can keep that relationship with Harry alive that would be nice. She even made sure a picture of him was put up on her instagram. Something the Cambridges didnít do.
  #1414  
Old 06-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Might we see some empirical evidence?

A lot of this is posted regularly on the future of the British monarchy thread but I'm not sure how to link threads:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...lar-are-royals

A lot of surveys from various media sites are not credible of course because of their methodology but YouGov does has a decent reputation:

https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox...search-methods
  #1415  
Old 06-04-2022, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
To be honest Iím just happy they came so that the Queen could see Archie and meet Lili on her special weekend.

We can all speculate and observe the interactions and come up with our own interpretations of how the Sussex couple has been received but none of us really will ever know.

As an example, I noticed that Lady Sarah and Meghan were chatting in St Paulís and it all seemed very warm and friendly. On the other hand when they were leaving the cathedral and they stopped with Mike, Zara and Peter I didnít get the impression that it was as warm and friendly as their relationship had been in years before. However that is just my personal interpretation of what I saw on TV and other posters may have came to very different conclusions.
You didn't imagine it, I noticed as well that the warmth between Harry and his Phillips cousins wasn't quite there as he was leaving the cathedral. I think the whole family are rather nervous that they will feature in his upcoming book and just don't trust him anymore.
  #1416  
Old 06-04-2022, 09:59 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Sienna, United States
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
You didn't imagine it, I noticed as well that the warmth between Harry and his Phillips cousins wasn't quite there as he was leaving the cathedral. I think the whole family are rather nervous that they will feature in his upcoming book and just don't trust him anymore.
Outside the steps, he didn't talk to Phillip but him and Meghan seem quite friendly chatting with Zara.

I think it could be flipped as well, whatever the reason is, I'm pretty sure Harry doesn't trust much of his family anymore. Even before the O interview, some of his things like his exit plan, made it to The Sun. He has just as much reason to be weary.

And as much as I think people want Harry to spill dirt so they can yell at him for it, I'd be funnier (and more likely) that he he side-steps most of his family other than, this is my dad, mom, and etc. He has stories from his gap year, the army and etc. The family might get a nice dedication and that's it.

AND

Today is Lili's first birthday, once again, I don't have kids so I wonder what kind of party it'll be. Seeing as I think those are more for adults than the kids, I wonder if any of the younger family members will show up.
  #1417  
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,108
How could anyone trust them?
  #1418  
Old 06-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
The week of the Platinum Jubilee festivities was not the only chance for The Queen to meet and interact with her Sussex great-grandchildren, in fact this week is not a good time at all. If Harry and Meghan wanted to come to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee so be it, but if The Queen getting to know her California-based great-grandchildren was of paramount importance, then arrangements would have been made to have the Sussex children visit either well before or well after the Platinum Jubilee festivities.

P.S.
Perhaps there are plans for the Sussexes and their children to spend time with The Queen and The Prince of Wales in the near future.
They could spend a few days at Balmoral in the summer, just as Princess Madeleine's family goes to Solliden to be with the Swedish royals. The fact that they live in the United States doesn't prevent them from taking a vacation in the UK, especially when the kids are not at school.
  #1419  
Old 06-04-2022, 11:20 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: West Chester, United States
Posts: 569
The person whose body language was to me the most interesting in this was Mike Tindall.
Zara, Peter Philips, Harry and Megan and Mike were standing together outside of St Paul's, following the Service, The Sussex's waiting for their car.
Mike cooly and pointedly ignored them.... absolutely zero interaction, and although I'm not a body language expert, from his demeanor, it was quite clear he is not a fan.
Which is sad, as it was Prince Harry who introduced the then Rugby Star Mike Tindall to Zara in Australia in 2003.
It will be VERY interesting to see if the Sussex's attend tonight's Jubilee Concert tonight. Or maybe just Harry goes to diffuse some tensions.

As others have posted, we don't know what the reception was like when the Family ( minus the ones on the Balcony) were together in that room watching the Trooping The Colour.
There was actually no interaction between Charles and Harry at St Paul's either, no nod of the head or anything.

I wasn't surprised that William didn't acknowledge Harry there, but I thought that Charles might as he left.
In retrospect, it might have been better for The Sussex's to have come at an earlier time, for a longer visit to build bridges with Charles.They seem to be placing all their eggs so to speak in ONE basket. The Queens. Not a good long-term strategy. As she seems increasingly frailer and is 96.

More time was needed, not just that "drive by" visit to Windsor where they saw the Queen before the Invictus Games last month. Harry and Megan were reportedly late for a already scheduled brief visit with Charles. Who is known to be very punctual, with tight scheduling.
These short trips for appearances by Harry at Prince Philip's Funeral, Princess Diana's Statue Dedication and now The Queens Jubilee don't seem to be healing rifts. And then Harry didn't attend the Prince Philip Thanksgiving Service either.....allegedly over "Security" Issues.

Now that the Sussex's have children, and are seeing firsthand Harry's Cousins young children grow and interact wonderfully with each other AND George, Charlotte and Louis, maybe they will *try* to reevaluate and reconnect with The Family. Make amends.
I hope for Harry's sake he can find a path. And also for his children too.
  #1420  
Old 06-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaMonet View Post

I think it could be flipped as well, whatever the reason is, I'm pretty sure Harry doesn't trust much of his family anymore. Even before the O interview, some of his things like his exit plan, made it to The Sun. He has just as much reason to be weary.

And as much as I think people want Harry to spill dirt so they can yell at him for it, I'd be funnier (and more likely) that he he side-steps most of his family other than, this is my dad, mom, and etc. He has stories from his gap year, the army and etc. The family might get a nice dedication and that's it.
They are apparently trying to keep a low profile and are currently not feeding the media speculations. However, stories about this weekend may be leaked out or revealed in the future. For now, the focus should be on the Queen and the monarchy. They seem to be respecting that.
Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, lili mountbatten-windsor


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023 Marengo The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 2260 04-19-2023 12:22 AM
Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events 20 : Aug.2006 - Oct.2006 Lady Jennifer Current Events Archive 192 10-28-2006 10:38 AM
Princess Alexandra Current Events 4 : Aug.2005 - Oct.2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 192 10-22-2005 03:34 PM




Popular Tags
#alnahyan #alnahyanwedding #princedubai #rashidmrm #wedding abolished monarchies anhalt-bernburg bevilacqua birth british camilla home catherine princess of wales christenings coat of arms commonwealth countries crest defunct thrones fabio bevilacqua fallen empires fallen kingdom fashion suggestions football friederike godfather grand duke henri harry hobbies hotel room for sale house of gonzaga iran jewels king carl xvi gustaf king charles lady pamela hicks list of rulers mall coronation day movies order of the redeemer overseas tours pahlavi pamela mountbatten persia prince christian princeharry princess alexia princess amalia princess catharina amalia princess elisabeth princess of orange princess of wales q: reputable place? queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth ii queen elizabeth ii fashion queen silvia rasputin royal christenings royals royal wedding scarves schleswig-holstein-sonderburg-glŁcksburg state visit state visit to france tiaras website william wiltshire woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises