The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time one of the Sussexes opens their mouths I like them less.

Why can’t they just get on with their philanthropy and new life in California? They have nothing to be famous for now apart from repeatedly airing their grievances against the royal family.

The worst part for me is that they know fine well they can keep stating all sorts as fact and that nobody in the royal family will come out to the media and tell their side. You’re not going to get William and Kate sitting down with Piers Morgan for a tell all interview!
William and Kate are too classy to start a back and forth match with the Sussexes to Piers Morgan or any media presenters, so the Sussexes are trying to get their attention to make everyone else look bad, but they actually make themselves look worse with the constant digs and remarks.

I agree with this. I genuinely hope he takes a pause and delays the book or reverts to the more careful and deft media handling he was raised with, if only to keep the door open a crack for himself and his children should he need to walk through it in the future.

That would be nice. For everyone. I hope he presses the pause button.

Just get on with being the salt and pepper shakers or the tree or…. I just can’t with this imagery….. Is this supposed to be celebrity speak, California speak….what? This American has no clue. But just move on.

Interesting that in their Oprah interview, there were accusations that she was denied (?) access to therapeutic help to deal with the pressures of her royal duties. Now, she has full access to any therapeutic assistance she wants or needs but her decision-making seems to reflect just the opposite.
Crocodile tears....

Thanks. Interesting about Lynn Barbar.

Meghan absolutely gave it to her on a plate to write a snarky article. I know Meghan has to promote her stuff- but her choice of topics, stories, imagery, and so on left a lot to be desired.

I could pick on a lot of things but Nelson Mandela probably takes the cake on bad story ideas. But there are SO MANY to choose from. Like the whole thing.

It blows my mind. That was a lengthy interview- I’m trying to think of one thing that didn’t sound like a combination of: absurd, over the top, not believable, controlling, ridiculous, nasty or even remotely relatable to a reader. I thought Meghan had more PR savvy than this. I may need to revise my opinion.

Well it was all those things. The interviewer just let her be herself. She basically appeared as the person we would hear others describing.

Every time I read the latest on the Sussexes, I appreciate the Queen's "never complain, never explain" rule even more.

I wonder if Meghan actually cares what anyone thinks of her. At this point, her goal is eyeballs/hits/views that will keep the money rolling in, not "most admired woman" status.

She was a B-grade actress and he was the fifth in line to the throne. They could have had a very fulfilling life in Britain just by nature that she could have been an incredible role model for racial justice. He was charming.

Now ... they both sound like entitled spoiled brats! They only get invited to things because of their *titles* ... they haven't really done anything to position themselves as philanthropists.

A $100 candle! Give me a break!

Personally, I don't think they would have ever been successful in Britain. They were constantly being criticized and being compared. It was never going to work. There is suppose to be one young, successful, and attractive couple-that is to be the Cambridges not the Sussexes.

We may all have our opinions on them but the fact of the matter is that they have done a couple of things both hands on and monetarily that qualifies them as philanthropists. Take a look at their Archewell website for reference

Personally, I don't think they would have ever been successful in Britain. They were constantly being criticized and being compared. It was never going to work. There is suppose to be one young, successful, and attractive couple-that is to be the Cambridges not the Sussexes.

We may all have our opinions on them but the fact of the matter is that they have done a couple of things both hands on and monetarily that qualifies them as philanthropists. Take a look at their Archewell website for reference

I heavily disagree with this as a take. I think there was a lot of space to differentiate their work in meaningful ways and that the British press was really excited for the “Fab Four” era. There would have been comparisons, especially between Meghan and Kate, but if they had chosen to ignore negative press and get on with their work, they’d have earned a grudging respect.

I’ve looked at the Archewell site and it’s more a marketing site than anything else. There are a few small projects, but nothing that even approaches any sort of global philanthropy. Prince Harry’s two most important projects are still Sentabale and Invictus, and those are legacy projects, not something conceived in the post-royal era.

Their shot at success in Britain relied on sucking it up and doing the work: patiently living in a smaller place until a proper home could be renovated, being supportive in joint engagements with more senior royals, and developing their own projects. Meghan’s SmartWorks and cooking book project with Grenfell survivors were both solid ideas. A few years of work like that plus learning patiently about the institution and they could have added so much value.

It’s just not what they wanted to do.

I heavily disagree with this as a take. I think there was a lot of space to differentiate their work in meaningful ways and that the British press was really excited for the “Fab Four” era. There would have been comparisons, especially between Meghan and Kate, but if they had chosen to ignore negative press and get on with their work, they’d have earned a grudging respect.

I’ve looked at the Archewell site and it’s more a marketing site than anything else. There are a few small projects, but nothing that even approaches any sort of global philanthropy. Prince Harry’s two most important projects are still Sentabale and Invictus, and those are legacy projects, not something conceived in the post-royal era.

Their shot at success in Britain relied on sucking it up and doing the work: patiently living in a smaller place until a proper home could be renovated, being supportive in joint engagements with more senior royals, and developing their own projects. Meghan’s SmartWorks and cooking book project with Grenfell survivors were both solid ideas. A few years of work like that plus learning patiently about the institution and they could have added so much value.

It’s just not what they wanted to do.

I agree. They could have made an enormous impact with their role as members of the BRF, but that wasn't what they desired.

The podcast interviews could be very good if Meghan would stop trying to make everything about her. I don't know who else is lined up, but Serena Williams and Mariah Carey are very big names.

And why must Meghan lie all the time? Claiming that 40 photographers would have followed her children to school in the UK every day. Has that ever happened with George and Charlotte? The press aren't allowed to hassle children at school. It was just another blatant lie. And I should imagine that Prince Charles is very upset by her saying that Harry's "lost" his father.

The Mandela family aren't impressed by her claims that her wedding was somehow comparable to Nelson Mandela's release from prison.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...on-Mandelas-grandson-slams-Meghan-Markle.html

Last edited:
The podcast interviews could be very good if Meghan would stop trying to make everything about her. I don't know who else is lined up, but Serena Williams and Mariah Carey are very big names.

And why must Meghan lie all the time? Claiming that 40 photographers would have followed her children to school in the UK every day. Has that ever happened with George and Charlotte? The press aren't allowed to hassle children at school. It was just another blatant lie. And I should imagine that Prince Charles is very upset by her saying that Harry's "lost" his father.

The Mandela family aren't impressed by her claims that her wedding was somehow comparable to Nelson Mandela's release from prison.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...on-Mandelas-grandson-slams-Meghan-Markle.html

All very valid points @Alison H.

The truth of the matter is that, IMO, these podcasts and the media interviews by Meghan confirm a lot more of what a lot of people already thought of Meghan.

The irony is that Meghan is bright, perceptive, articulate, and could probably be a great interviewer and possibly, chat show host. Oprah Mark 2? But by the sounds of it, she is so driven by her own agendas, she doesn't seem to particularly care about what her guests have to say, and that can be quite offputting to both the interviewee, and the audience.

As has been said, better to be silent and be thought of a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!

The New York Post carried the headline "Toddler and Tiara" with a picture of Meghan looking sulky, and described her as a "petulant princess", whilst Australian TV called her a t***er.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/petulant-princess-world-media-reacted-183750886.html

As you say, she could be a great interviewer if she didn't make everything about herself, especially if she's able to attract high calibre interviewees such as Serena and Mariah. But she does make everything about herself. And she lies.

I have always wondered about the half in half out claim - and I think it is directed at all the senior royals. Charles has real estate and a organic farming business, Anne gets money from Gatcombe - shows and horse stock. Even the Queen earns money from her horses ect. So it is really how you view it.

There is no rule against any of the Royals having a private estate. Certainly not for Anne, or the Gloucesters, nor indeed for Charles or the Queen herself. Getting money from your estate or horse breeding is significantly different in my opinion from the "half-in, half-out" arrangement that Meghan had in mind. If the Sussexes wanted to live like Anne ten or twenty years from now, nobody would raise any objection.

And Anne is hardly "half out" considering she is one of the busiest members of the Family in number of annual engagements, isn't she?

I honestly am flabbergasted that Megan keeps upping the ante in this War with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. And by extension The Queen.

She and Harry are NOT going to let the fact that the "Half In--Half Out" proposal was vetoed, and the Sussex's grandiose plans of merging "Royalty-Public Service" with "Celebrity-Commercial Opportunities" got blown up and shot down.
It is quite clear that they are on a path to establish The Sussex's as an American based alternative to The UK Windsors, specifically William and Kate.
[...]

Make no mistake, that IS what She is doing. Setting herself and Harry up as "modern Royals". American branded.
With a emphasis on diversity and all things WOKE. An alternative to stuffy, old-fashioned AND out of touch, passe William and Kate.

If so, she's fighting an imaginary popularity war. The position of King and, by extension, that of the heir and the heir to the heir are constitutional roles defined by law. In theory, Charles and William don't need to be popular or "modern" to be King. To the extent that the UK and the Commonwealth realms are now democracies, they do have to care somewhat about popularity as there is always a (remote) possibility that the people might decide to "cancel" them (i.e. choose to abolish the monarchy), but they certainly don't have to be popular to make a living selling books, interviews, podcasts, or reality TV shows the way the Sussexes do, and definitely they don't need to be popular in America, a country in which they will never reign.

If anything, Meghan's antics have caused her popularity to plummet in the UK specifically. And I am not sure how she is doing either in the PR battle in the US, which is what she is most concerned about as it is what her livelihood depends on. She will always find a niche market for the type of stories she wants to tell about the Royal Family and "royal life", but honestly I can't see her doing that for 10 or 20 years (it's been 2 and a half years already) without becoming old news or plainly uninteresting. She can maybe reinvent herself as a philanthropist or a talk show/podcast host with access to many celebrity friends, but the US has lots of people like that and Meghan, without the royal label attached to her, hardly stands out.

The saddest part is Harry becoming alienated and estranged from his family and his country. I don't want to play the "Meghan blame game" as we know, to be fair, that Harry also had his personal issues and presumably wanted out regardless of his relationship with Meghan, but right now Harry looks merely like an accessory to Meghan's "California dream"

Last edited:
Royals who engaged in business as Anne etc does, have to stick with various rules and regulations. I understand that this was offered to H and Meghan but they were unwilling to have themselves tied down like that and I suppose they did not wnat (for example) to run a private estate. Anne's primary responsibility is working as a royal...

I am looking at this from a very distant view. Okay, remove Meghan from the scene - another presenter.
Looking at the Serena interview - even narrowing their interview to the topic of Ambition. They could have done a lot. Serena knows ambitions and she is not scared of it - she knocks it out of the park. The interview was not about Serena and considering that Serena is now retiring this could have been a great eye opening interview. It was dribble.
Interview with Mariah - absolutely no preparation. Meghan didn't read the book - she has absolutely no idea what is in that book. She could have had a bumper interview - she could have really driven how Mariah owns the Diva stereotype.
Now lets not hide behind the bush - a regular interviewer would kill for this platform and 2 bit interviewer would have made a better job of it. She wanted a platform, she has a platform - she is squandering the platform. This sounds familiar. It worries me that she is surrounded by people who is not helping. Everyone in the industry has told me the same - what are all those people doing? essentially this can be as technically polished as a gold bowl - if the content is dribble it is pointless. it is mind boggling that she is ill prepared for these interviews. She doesn't have any journalistic skill but surely someone should be assisting.

Royals who engaged in business as Anne etc does, have to stick with various rules and regulations. I understand that this was offered to H and Meghan but they were unwilling to have themselves tied down like that and I suppose they did not wnat (for example) to run a private estate. Anne's primary responsibility is working as a royal...

That was exactly the problem - they didn't want to sign to the rules that every royal that engages in business activities signs to. And it is basically - do not engage in business dealings that bring the RF or the UK into a bad light. Do not trade on the RF name.

Essential they are asked to fly under the radar - Anne is not issuing a statement about how much money she makes and that she is self made and a strong women. Charles does not accept awards as the best landowner in the UK. Even Peter, Zara, Eugenie and Beatrice keep it under the radar. They are not doing interviews as the face of such and such. Even the Middletons have come to follow these guidelines. Can you imagine the concern if Carole Middleton went on TV to promote her company as the mother of the Duchess of Sussex or if Anne does press for the Gatacombe Horse show.

Why couldn't the Sussexes - Their Business Model. It was evident from the first manifesto that their aim was global and their focus was on brand. Brand cannot be achieved without PR and media. They would be selling themselves as global brands - outside of the UK, outside of the RF - essentially they wanted to set themselves as global players in their charity roles. while making money off a business branch. There was no clear distinction between the two and afraid the say there still isnt. It is a moral and ethic concern.
And that is the reason they were denied it. If they had worked to completely divide their charity work and their business concerns it might have been accepted - but that would have meant they would have taken a step backwards in their eyes.

Last edited:
There is piece in the Spectator that some of you may like to read,it raises some interesting issues of accountability.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-narcissism-of-meghan-markle

It makes you wonder how the Cambridges' new Windsor cottage pales in comparison to Harry and Meghan's California mansion. And, despite all the (unfair) criticism about the Cambridges' "three homes", they could still live "grander" if they wanted to, but they don't because, as the Spectator said, they are aware of the dilemma many people in Europe (not only in the UK) are facing now between eating or heating in the winter.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

Agreed. I think the podcast series could be good. And it’s on a subject Meghan is passionate about. But, so far, I don’t think it’s close to what it could be. At all. It doesn’t come across that she really did her prep work to make it something really good. She has a platform. This is it?

And it is heavily focused on herself. That’s been noted.

IDK why Meghan is saying things that can be so easily disproven. The school run story is one of them. We all know it wouldn’t have been an issue for her because it isn’t with the Cambridges. She knows that.

Yeah. The Mandelas were not impressed. Nobody that I’m aware of was with that story. I don’t know what she was thinking telling it. Meghan has so many resources. Couldn’t she have discussed talking points on this interview in advance? I can’t believe anyone would have advised this.

Right up there with talking about concerns over whether she could afford her 14 million dollar dream home. Never a good look really. But in the middle of historic inflation? Again- what was she thinking talking about that?

And 100 dollar candles. She literally has money to burn. (Their money. They can spend it how they choose, of course. But….)

Yes- I can well imagine Charles is hurt by what was said about him and Harry’s relationship.

This interview just seems thoughtless. If I was to put one word to it.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder how the Cambridges' new Windsor cottage pales in comparison to Harry and Meghan's California mansion. And, despite all the (unfair) criticism about the Cambridges' "three homes", they could still live "grander" if they wanted to, but they don't because, as the Spectator said, they are aware of the dilemma many people in Europe (not only in the UK) are facing now between eating or heating in the winter.

Even KP 1A could probably not be compared to the California home of the Duchess of Montecito.

That was exactly the problem - they didn't want to sign to the rules that every royal that engages in business activities signs to. And it is basically - do not engage in business dealings that bring the RF or the UK into a bad light. Do not trade on the RF name.

Essential they are asked to fly under the radar - Anne is not issuing a statement about how much money she makes and that she is self made and a strong women. Charles does not accept awards as the best landowner in the UK. Even Peter, Zara, Eugenie and Beatrice keep it under the radar. They are not doing interviews as the face of such and such. Even the Middletons have come to follow these guidelines. Can you imagine the concern if Carole Middleton went on TV to promote her company as the mother of the Duchess of Sussex or if Anne does press for the Gatacombe Horse show.

Why couldn't the Sussexes - Their Business Model. It was evident from the first manifesto that their aim was global and their focus was on brand. Brand cannot be achieved without PR and media. They would be selling themselves as global brands - outside of the UK, outside of the RF - essentially they wanted to set themselves as global players in their charity roles. while making money off a business branch. There was no clear distinction between the two and afraid the say there still isnt. It is a moral and ethic concern.
And that is the reason they were denied it. If they had worked to completely divide their charity work and their business concerns it might have been accepted - but that would have meant they would have taken a step backwards in their eyes.

thanks I put my point rather badly. what I meant to say was that I beleive that back 2 years ago when they were talking to the RF about their lives, suggestions were made that they could run an estate and lead a quiet life, but also do charity work and work for the queen.. but that if they engaged in business, like running the estate, they would have to stick with various rules..on how they did things.... and they did not want to do that. I suspect that they had no desire to take on a country estate in the UK... either.

I think Meghan has missed an opportunity with this podcast and publicity interviews.

It could have been a vehicle to show both the public and those who might offer her jobs that she has more to offer than complaining about and threatening her husband's relatives. "Diva" is a complex word with a lot of history - no Meghan it wasn't necessarily "classy" even when it referred exclusively to opera singers. Their lives were far from easy. And there was a reason opera singer also became some what synonymous with "rich man's mistress" in some eras.

Some female performers covet it and are proud of it, like Mariah, but there's still a lot of baggage with it. And what is fine, even expected or entertaining in a singer or dancer is far from what's necessary for a working royal, a philanthropist or even a *working* actress/singer who hasn't "made it". That would have been a good discussion but once again it appears to be a venue for Meghan to complain that she got called a diva when she got with Harry. And she didn't like Mariah calling her one either.

I mean anyone who publicly compares their wedding to Mandela being released from prison.....might perhaps have some of those qualities associated with "Diva's" don't you think, Meghan?

Anyway, once again it isn't rumours or other people that are making the Sussexes look bad or out of touch or liars but their own words and actions. I really wish they'd learn that.

I think they would have been allowed some form of "HIHO" if they had wanted to do anything else other than make money off their titles and status. They were already in contact with Netflix so it's not hard to see that they thought they could make "The Real Crown" with BTS access and have Netflix film real tours which would also be sponsored by Rolex. Which just wasn't going to work and they would don't want anyone overseeing then or telling then which offers they could or couldn't accept. An impossible situation.

Last edited:
I think they would have been allowed some form of "HIHO" if they had wanted to do anything else other than make money off their titles and status. They were already in contact with Netflix so it's not hard to see that they thought they could make "The Real Crown" with BTS access and have Netflix film real tours which would also be sponsored by Rolex. Which just wasn't going to work and they would don't want anyone overseeing then or telling then which offers they could or couldn't accept. An impossible situation.

I can see this happening with Charlotte and Louis. If they could get "ordinary" jobs, maybe the sort of thing that Beatrice and Eugenie do, which could be done part time, and carry out royal duties part time, I think that could work. It could only work with certain jobs, though. It didn't work for Sophie because PR is inevitably largely about who you know, not just what you do. But it worked for William when he was being an ambulance pilot.

I can see this happening with Charlotte and Louis. If they could get "ordinary" jobs, maybe the sort of thing that Beatrice and Eugenie do, which could be done part time, and carry out royal duties part time, I think that could work. It could only work with certain jobs, though. It didn't work for Sophie because PR is inevitably largely about who you know, not just what you do. But it worked for William when he was being an ambulance pilot.

Honestly, it’s a shame so few of the family want to pursue higher education. Working in academia learning and studying is respected, quiet, and dignified. It could easily be combined with some royal duties.

That’s one of the reasons Harry is at such a loss right now I think. He was really only prepared for one job: Prince of the UK. He doesn’t have an education or other skills to fall back on so all he has to sell to earn a living are his memories of his family which is quite sad.

(That being said, his inheritance money could have funded them for a long time in a more modest lifestyle, so that part is definitely a choice they have made)

There is piece in the Spectator that some of you may like to read,it raises some interesting issues of accountability.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-narcissism-of-meghan-markle

This is an interesting article. Thanks.

The author raises good points, in general, but particularly about accusing unnamed media of using the n- word about her child. As best I can tell- this is entirely based on her word, and she’s given no one the ability to substantiate anything because it’s vague.

I may be incorrect in my understanding of this, but it sounds like a serious accusation that blankets everyone with zero way for anyone to even respond to since it’s vague.

Honestly, it’s a shame so few of the family want to pursue higher education. Working in academia learning and studying is respected, quiet, and dignified. It could easily be combined with some royal duties.

That’s one of the reasons Harry is at such a loss right now I think. He was really only prepared for one job: Prince of the UK. He doesn’t have an education or other skills to fall back on so all he has to sell to earn a living are his memories of his family which is quite sad.

(That being said, his inheritance money could have funded them for a long time in a more modest lifestyle, so that part is definitely a choice they have made)

Beatrice and Eugenie got university degrees. And Louise is starting her university course this year. I believe James will go to university too, but it's too early to say.

Frankly I'd be surprised if Louis and Charlotte didn't go to university unless Louis, like Andrew and Harry, chooses a military career. It is a shame that, in the UK, an officer's training in the Army still does not involve getting a Bachelor's degree simultaneously as in other countries.

This is an interesting article. Thanks.

The author raises good points, in general, but particularly about accusing unnamed media of using the n- word about her child. As best I can tell- this is entirely based on her word, and she’s given no one the ability to substantiate anything because it’s vague.

I may be incorrect in my understanding of this, but it sounds like a serious accusation that blankets everyone with zero way for anyone to even respond to since it’s vague.

Articles I am reading today interpret the statement as applying to readers of the RR output, not the RR members themselves.

Meaning, someone, somewhere in a forum or comments column used the n-word about Archie. Which I can well believe, given the bile I see on the internet every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom