The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 09-23-2021, 03:53 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,894
yes - I am sure Americans and New Yorkers will be asking the same question. Along with who is paying for the NYPD crowd controlled ect.
  #62  
Old 09-23-2021, 03:56 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Motor City, United States
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
So the Mayor of NYC & the Governor of NY State formally greet a private couple who represent nobody but themselves & who live in the same country.

Do elected officials normally line up to meet celebrities in the USA? I would have thought it was the other way round. Maybe one of our US members could explain.
Yes, actually. US officials often cavort with celebrities to use the free publicity to promote themselves, their policies, the area their representing, etc...
  #63  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenRach Dominion View Post
Yes, actually. US officials often cavort with celebrities to use the free publicity to promote themselves, their policies, the area their representing, etc...
Yes but do they do the lining up to greet these celebrities? Like supplicants.

I had thought an American Governor, being the chief executive in their state, was the one who others lined up to meet. Not the other way round.

Interesting. I wonder what Ben Franklin would have made of that.
  #64  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:04 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that's all very well but why do these two get access to this US ambassador?

Can any US citizen get a meeting with such a senior member of the US diplomatic service? He's not even an American!
No they typically don't do these extremes with celebrities but clearly the Mayor, Governor and Ambassador felt differently about the Sussexes nor see them as such. I am a bit surprised by it as well, especially the level of security detail but someone signed off on it.

It is only day one. They are in town until at least Saturday.

They arrived last night. Daily Mail has a video of them having dinner with a friend (looks like Misha Nonoo and hubby).
  #65  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
No they typically don't do these extremes with celebrities but clearly the Mayor, Governor and Ambassador felt differently about the Sussexes nor see them as such. I am a bit surprised by it as well, especially the level of security detail but someone signed off on it.

It is only day one. They are in town until at least Saturday.

They arrived last night. Daily Mail has a video of them having dinner with a friend (looks like Misha Nonoo and hubby).
An interesting perspective that US (Democrat?) officials don't see them as celebrities.

It begs the question what exactly do they see them as? These are legitimate & thought provoking questions for Americans I should think.
  #66  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:28 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
An interesting perspective that US (Democrat?) officials don't see them as celebrities.

It begs the question what exactly do they see them as? These are legitimate & thought provoking questions for Americans I should think.
I don't know what people see them as but clearly people don't consider them celebrities. I don't either. They are members of the royal family though not working royals. So it is a weird in between, I guess. And maybe for many, working or not, they don't see then any different. Today would imply as much.
  #67  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I don't know what people see them as but clearly people don't consider them celebrities. I don't either. They are members of the royal family though not working royals. So it is a weird in between, I guess. And maybe for many, working or not, they don't see then any different. Today would imply as much.
Of a foreign royal family. With no status in the US.

Are they to be feted & protected at US taxpayer expense elsewhere & at other times?
  #68  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:43 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Posts: 611
They get access because they are the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's grandson and his wife. Top tier British Royals have always and will always have access to the upper classes and the elected officials in the USA. That's the way it is, and the way it has been since at least the 1860's and Albert Edward's cross country trip in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Are they to be feted & protected at US taxpayer expense elsewhere & at other times?
Protected? On the taxpayer's dime? Only if it's a US government function they are at. Otherwise private security.

Feted? Yes. Of course. They will always be A-list and will be treated that way here.
  #69  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
They get access because they are the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's grandson and his wife. Top tier British Royals have always and will always have access to the upper classes and the elected officials in the USA. That's the way it is, and the way it has been since at least the 1860's and Albert Edward's cross country trip in the USA.
Social access is one thing but access to elected officials is quite another.

It's corrupt.
  #70  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:53 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Social access is one thing but access to elected officials is quite another.

It's corrupt.
Unless they're influencing an election or bribing an official, it's not corrupt. Not here.

Look, I don't care for them, but they are hugely famous and top tier "celebrities" and unless they get in a Prince Andrew-like scandal, they will be for the rest of their lives and thus will always be feted by the great and the good.
  #71  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that's all very well but why do these two get access to this US ambassador?

Can any US citizen get a meeting with such a senior member of the US diplomatic service? He's not even an American!
The short answer would be "No."
  #72  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:56 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The short answer would be "No."
Any old person is not the grandson of the Queen. So of course they get access. People act like it's a surprise they do. It may not be "fair" but that's the way it is.
  #73  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,221
Clearly there are some NYC politicians who are keen to meet them, probably because they are royalty, even if they're no longer representing anyone but themselves.

It does really raise the question of "why are they doing this?" though. If they're no longer representing the Queen or anything higher than themselves what good is a 20 minute official photo op? Apart from publicity obviously. It all comes across as rather hollow, a little like the cemetery photoshoot last year, play acting the real thing.

I think we're seeing them try to implement the "Half in, Half out" they originally wanted but freelance. Time will tell if it works once the novelty has warn off.
  #74  
Old 09-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Unless they're influencing an election or bribing an official, it's not corrupt. Not here.

Look, I don't care for them, but they are hugely famous and top tier "celebrities" and unless they get in a Prince Andrew-like scandal, they will be for the rest of their lives and thus will always be feted by the great and the good.
They get to meet elected officials because of who they are. That's unfair access. That's certainly a form of corruption.

Can't believe many Americans will be be happy with that. A resident foreign prince possibly having the ear of elected officials for decades to come. Raises all sorts of questions surely.
  #75  
Old 09-23-2021, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Clearly there are some NYC politicians who are keen to meet them, probably because they are royalty, even if they're no longer representing anyone but themselves.

It does really raise the question of "why are they doing this?" though. If they're no longer representing the Queen or anything higher than themselves what good is a 20 minute official photo op? Apart from publicity obviously. It all comes across as rather hollow, a little like the cemetery photoshoot last year, play acting the real thing.
Hopefully they'll stick to charity. Maybe the pitfalls of this sort of flirtation with politicians is more obvious to Britons?
  #76  
Old 09-23-2021, 05:31 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Can't believe many Americans will be be happy with that. A resident foreign prince possibly having the ear of elected officials for decades to come. Raises all sorts of questions surely.
Nope. Most Americans do not give one single fig about Harry and Meghan meeting anyone that wants to meet them. No one in the general public cares here.
  #77  
Old 09-23-2021, 05:38 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Nope. Most Americans do not give one single fig about Harry and Meghan meeting anyone that wants to meet them. No one in the general public cares here.
Basically. It just aint that deep. And honestly I feel that goes for all of them. People really don't care about the royals all that much to that level. They fun to watch and talk about but... yeah.

It is not surprising that got the reception they did.
  #78  
Old 09-23-2021, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,107
Interesting comments from US members on here.

Always good to hear different perspectives. And how British & US attitudes can differ.
  #79  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Member - in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 17,267
It's obvious to me (and Captain Obvious is not who I am) that Harry and Meghan are starting, once again, to step out and build up their lives in a public way and, for me, I have no issues standing out for *anything* about this recent trip to NY. They can afford the hotel. They were assigned security because those that assign security authorized it. They met with high ranking NY state government people and UN people and I can't say the Sussexes finangled it all for publicity purposes. It was for a reason and consented on by *both* parties.

This couple is not going to sit home in their house twiddling their thumbs avoiding public appearances. The more they do, the more people will pay attention to what Harry and Meghan's goals are. It's all *good* if you ask me.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #80  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

It does really raise the question of "why are they doing this?" though. If they're no longer representing the Queen or anything higher than themselves what good is a 20 minute official photo op? Apart from publicity obviously. It all comes across as rather hollow, a little like the cemetery photoshoot last year, play acting the real thing.
Yes, the cemetery photo shoot! IIRC, the Duchess also chose a heavy winter’s coat for that event. Speculation was she had planned to wear it at the Cenotaph but that appearance didn’t happen. Perhaps she plans her wardrobe too far ahead, and then is loathe to make changes.
Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, lili mountbatten-windsor


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: October 2022- Marengo The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 403 Today 12:11 PM
Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events 20 : Aug.2006 - Oct.2006 Lady Jennifer Current Events Archive 192 10-28-2006 10:38 AM
Princess Alexandra Current Events 4 : Aug.2005 - Oct.2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 192 10-22-2005 03:34 PM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort america arcadie claret austria braganza british royal family caribbean caroline castile charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death de la cerda denmark dubai expo duchess of kent duke of cambridge elizabeth ii empress masako espana genealogy general news grimaldi guzman hamdan bin ahmed history identifying india introduction ivrea jordan royal family king charles king edward iii king henry iii king philippe king willem-alexander louis mountbatten maria ii matrilineal monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence orleans-braganza pedro ii prince albert monaco prince andrew princess of orange queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria restoration royal initials spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland visit wine glass


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises