The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It is interesting because Harry and Meghan's pictures were taken BEFORE the the other pictures and likely would have been released before the others too. Why shouldn't they released images they always planned to release?

Why do official release photos at all? They could have published them on their website as part of a discussion of the engagement, but the One Young World summit had already been covered extensively by the media the day it happened and the day after.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Well they didn't even release them. Misan did (obviously with their permission) but it was his work that he wanted published. They probably planned to release various images of the week. But life delayed it.

They did the same with their other trips too. Also I don't see how these are "official" images. Look just like behind the scene shots.

Shall be interesting what they do going forward. They clearly had a big September planned that was obviously derailed. Some things likely could be rescheduled. Others not. And new events probably have presented themselves as well.

I also don't really see what the issue is. The media always going on about how unimportant Harry and Meghan are yet they pretty hyperfocused on every little thing they do... per usual. They are easy to ignore but they refuse to do it.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:05 PM
Commoner

Had them not quit, I think they would have been in the pic of the new monarchy, just as Harry was on the balcony for the diamond jubilee. I think there’s the difference between Charles and the late queen: she was emphasising the succession line, Charles was underlining the slimmed down monarchy. The two are not exclusive.
For the prince of wales investure anniversary, I think they were not part of the show team: in itself the investure was an event that’s part of the succession line.

But I don’t think them releasing this set of photos is an answer to the monarchy photo, it’s just bad timing (again). They really could have had better advisors.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand -- better advisors to what? Harry and Meghan don't need to coordinate with the House of Windsor. They barely can do it within themselves anyways.

Harry and Meghan don't work for the crown. They don't take a cent from the tax payer. They can do whatever they want. If it clashes.... well it is what it is. It really shouldn't matter what they are doing anyways.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I don't understand -- better advisors to what? Harry and Meghan don't need to coordinate with the House of Windsor. They barely can do it within themselves anyways.

Harry and Meghan don't work for the crown. They don't take a cent from the tax payer. They can do whatever they want. If it clashes.... well it is what it is. It really shouldn't matter what they are doing anyways.
Of course they can do whatever they want. Itís just that itís bad optics the way tgey are going forward. Not a question of in house coordination, but how it looks for H&M.
I donít know how the royal family are communicating among them. They seem quite coordinated to me.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

How is it any different? What bad optics? Truly honest question. We see all the different royals all out and about simultaneously. Today we had Charles with an audience and William and Kate out during engagements at the same time. Anne in NYC. Sophie in Africa. Of course the only one people paid any real attention to was Kate's which is expected.

And Meghan's podcast.

Harry and Meghan's image didn't "look" like anything to anyone new. Most overall media just enjoyed seeing a new glossy shot of them. The ones who like them liked it. The ones who don't -- didn't. That was going to happen regardless.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:31 PM
Commoner

When they positioned themselves “us against them”, everything they do is interpreted in that key - whatever they do must be something against the RF.
Of course different members of the family will have public events simultaneously, but do these events clash? In my opinion they don’t. When it’s something important (Camilla’s speech against domestic violence comes to mind), they are able to put on hold any other publicity for something else.
I hope I’m not too confusing, my English is not that good.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Your English is just fine. I just don't see how these images clash. They weren't released on the same day. In fact, as pointed out, many others are doing things as well. People focus on Harry and Meghan unnecessarily.

Like with the new unconfirmed news of the coronation date. How long until the "will they, won't they?" nonsense kicks off? It is also Lili birthday the day after. Silliness all around. One has nothing to do with the other but watch it become a thing.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

You know, I could go with the ďdonít work for the crown and donít take a cent from the tax payerĒ if they had a single stream of revenue that wasnít directly trading on their titles and connection to the royal family.

To me, they come off as people who want gravitas, global celebrity, recognition as thought leaders- but without recognition of how their only pretense to that is based on who Harry is.

Without his family, he is someone who barely graduated secondary school and struggles with a lot of emotional problems. Thatís not his fault. A lot of people donít have a degree and also are battling demons. Itís just that most of those people also donít expect to command an audience at the United Nations.

I was really prepared to see them try to launch something substantive and itís all just been so shallow. I donít think anyone would have begrudged them a private life that was quiet and out of the media glare, but itís very hard to ignore how much they want that spotlight and how little they are doing to earn it.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
When they positioned themselves ďus against themĒ, everything they do is interpreted in that key - whatever they do must be something against the RF.
Of course different members of the family will have public events simultaneously, but do these events clash? In my opinion they donít. When itís something important (Camillaís speech against domestic violence comes to mind), they are able to put on hold any other publicity for something else.
I hope Iím not too confusing, my English is not that good.
Your English is great. And also agree that sometimes I can't figure this couple out.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
You know, I could go with the “don’t work for the crown and don’t take a cent from the tax payer” if they had a single stream of revenue that wasn’t directly trading on their titles and connection to the royal family.

To me, they come off as people who want gravitas, global celebrity, recognition as thought leaders- but without recognition of how their only pretense to that is based on who Harry is.

Without his family, he is someone who barely graduated secondary school and struggles with a lot of emotional problems. That’s not his fault. A lot of people don’t have a degree and also are battling demons. It’s just that most of those people also don’t expect to command an audience at the United Nations.

I was really prepared to see them try to launch something substantive and it’s all just been so shallow. I don’t think anyone would have begrudged them a private life that was quiet and out of the media glare, but it’s very hard to ignore how much they want that spotlight and how little they are doing to earn it.
I mean no matter what they do they will always be Harry and Meghan. There is no getting away from that.

They *don't* take a dime from the Monarchy or the people of the UK, so what they do really is no concern of anyone. I always laugh at the fixation of their financials. It is their money. Like why do people care?

I don't think their work is shallow. No more shallow then what the others are doing if we being real honest. They are all faces of initiatives and projects. We just excuse some over others because of preference. What exactly are any of them actually doing? It is others doing the heavy lifting.

Personally I am enjoying her podcast. I never expected her to do something world changing. I don't expect that from any of them. They are who they are. Insanely privileged people.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that when the Sussex thread is open, discussion is limited to the most recent bit of news posted, in this case the transcript of the podcast. Any further off topic discussion will result in the thread being closed early.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
A new podcast of ďArchetypesĒ came out today and I thought I would post the transcript here for those who arenít listening but may be curious about the content.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pr-ne...-Episode-4.pdf

I found this episode, personally, to be a little disjointed in its structure and I thought the intro was jarring. In the U.S., it would normally be considered rather impolite to use cuisine and spa treatments as your lens to these cultures, and I wondered if maybe Meghan struggled a little bit to craft a relevant episode about something she doesnít have personal experience with.

Please note: I did contact the Mod team before posting and with their guidance, chose to link to official transcripts of the podcast rather than to any existing opinion pieces. They were very responsive and helpful!
Let me put disclaimer that I don't listen to the podcast and only read the script available.

As Asian woman, reading it I feel that instead of highlighting stereotypes towards Asian and clear it up (which I assume is the goal of the podcast), what Meghan did was stereotyping us while what her guests did were complaining. Admittedly I didn't grow up in the US, my experience about living there was when I worked in North America for about a year (split time between Alberta and Colorado-Oklohoma).

I experienced racism, more when in the US than in Canada, but when a colleague nicknamed me "Dragon Lady" never once I thought of it as racism or stereotyping my Asian background. I'm far from femme fatale, in fact I'm tiny and they often joke that a mere breeze could blow me away. Nor am I aggressive, I'm a quiet person and always try avoid conflict as much as I can. The "dragon lady" came from because despite my reserve and quiet personality which made many doubt whether I could do the job, my performance ended up topping everyone, so basically they thought I was a tame kitten but turned out to be a sleeping dragon. And I took it as a compliment, not insult. The dispatcher told me that the crews sort out fighting over to be put in my team and my fellow engineers approached me for my tricks to do the job faster (proper planning and ask your crews nicely, and the job would run smoothly), so I was not a villain either.

What's wrong with Kill Bill? My reaction when I first watching Lucy Liu and Kuriyama Chiaki (I've been a fan of her since Battle Royale) was screaming "COOL!!!", and they insert anime too!! What's wrong with their roles/characters?

And maybe it's just me, but I don't see Miss Saigon as sexualising Asian woman. It's true that historically in several countries in Asia, women were forced/used sexually by the invander soldiers and then left with children; Chinese women by Japanese soldiers during Japan occupation, Japanese women by American soldiers post WWII. In fact, it's actually based on Madame Butterfly first premier in Italy which based on a French novel about Japanese woman. It's a sad story about a woman's life post war, has nothing tp do with sexualising. (Now, if it's about Memoir of Geisha, then we can talk about stereotyping, they had it all wrong because in reality Geisha/Geiko is forbidden to offer sexual favour).

Quote:
(...)part of that, my mom and I would often go to the Korean spa together. Now those of you
who havenít been to one before itís a very humbling experience for a girl going through puberty
because you enter a room with women from ages 9 to maybe 90 all walking around naked, and
waiting to get a body scrub on one of the tables lined up in a row.(...)
Honest question: is that how they do it in US? No robes or even towel when you lay down for massages? I've never been to Korea, but Japan has public bathhouses and onsen where you'll be fully naked in front of strangers but only when take a dip, when exiting changing room you have towel around you, not walking around naked.

And why it become a surprise for Meghan considering there are several nude beaches in western countries (which we don't have here in Asia btw, at least as far as I know)?
Old 10-06-2022, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

A colleague at work mentioned something similarity to me. She loves been references as a Dragon Lady. She is also Japanese and sees it as a compliment. Especially from men. She doesn't think it has anything to do with sexualization's - she see it as a regard for her work ethic and expertise. And I think she is right.

Story about me at an onsen. I was petrified to join friends at the onsen and it was a celebration and they had invited us - so I was concerned that it would seem rude to stay in my room hiding. When I expressed my fears to my host - she laughed and told me my fears were unneeded as no one was looking at anyone bodies at an onsen or bath. It is so normal in Japan culture. that it is - another naked woman. Move on. There was I stupid person holding on to my towel like my life depended on it.

I like the character that Lucy Liu portrays in Kill Bill. I actually see it as the most fleshed out character in the movies. In many ways I expect stereotypes in movies - as you cannot flesh out a character in such medium. The viewer needs to relate and fast. It is negative stereotypes that are concerning - especially if they add to the stereotype. Probably haven't explained myself well. I can take any movie - any. And point out the stereotype.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Administrator

This thread has reached 101 pages. It is time for a new thread. You can find it here.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, lili mountbatten-windsor