The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I could go with the “don’t work for the crown and don’t take a cent from the tax payer” if they had a single stream of revenue that wasn’t directly trading on their titles and connection to the royal family.

To me, they come off as people who want gravitas, global celebrity, recognition as thought leaders- but without recognition of how their only pretense to that is based on who Harry is.

Without his family, he is someone who barely graduated secondary school and struggles with a lot of emotional problems. That’s not his fault. A lot of people don’t have a degree and also are battling demons. It’s just that most of those people also don’t expect to command an audience at the United Nations.

I was really prepared to see them try to launch something substantive and it’s all just been so shallow. I don’t think anyone would have begrudged them a private life that was quiet and out of the media glare, but it’s very hard to ignore how much they want that spotlight and how little they are doing to earn it.

I mean no matter what they do they will always be Harry and Meghan. There is no getting away from that.

They *don't* take a dime from the Monarchy or the people of the UK, so what they do really is no concern of anyone. I always laugh at the fixation of their financials. It is their money. Like why do people care?

I don't think their work is shallow. No more shallow then what the others are doing if we being real honest. They are all faces of initiatives and projects. We just excuse some over others because of preference. What exactly are any of them actually doing? It is others doing the heavy lifting.

Personally I am enjoying her podcast. I never expected her to do something world changing. I don't expect that from any of them. They are who they are. Insanely privileged people.

Last edited:
This seems like a good time to remind everyone that when the Sussex thread is open, discussion is limited to the most recent bit of news posted, in this case the transcript of the podcast. Any further off topic discussion will result in the thread being closed early.

A new podcast of “Archetypes” came out today and I thought I would post the transcript here for those who aren’t listening but may be curious about the content.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pr-newsroom-wp/1/2022/03/Archetypes-Episode-4.pdf

I found this episode, personally, to be a little disjointed in its structure and I thought the intro was jarring. In the U.S., it would normally be considered rather impolite to use cuisine and spa treatments as your lens to these cultures, and I wondered if maybe Meghan struggled a little bit to craft a relevant episode about something she doesn’t have personal experience with.

Please note: I did contact the Mod team before posting and with their guidance, chose to link to official transcripts of the podcast rather than to any existing opinion pieces. They were very responsive and helpful!

Let me put disclaimer that I don't listen to the podcast and only read the script available.

As Asian woman, reading it I feel that instead of highlighting stereotypes towards Asian and clear it up (which I assume is the goal of the podcast), what Meghan did was stereotyping us while what her guests did were complaining. Admittedly I didn't grow up in the US, my experience about living there was when I worked in North America for about a year (split time between Alberta and Colorado-Oklohoma).

I experienced racism, more when in the US than in Canada, but when a colleague nicknamed me "Dragon Lady" never once I thought of it as racism or stereotyping my Asian background. I'm far from femme fatale, in fact I'm tiny and they often joke that a mere breeze could blow me away. Nor am I aggressive, I'm a quiet person and always try avoid conflict as much as I can. The "dragon lady" came from because despite my reserve and quiet personality which made many doubt whether I could do the job, my performance ended up topping everyone, so basically they thought I was a tame kitten but turned out to be a sleeping dragon. And I took it as a compliment, not insult. The dispatcher told me that the crews sort out fighting over to be put in my team and my fellow engineers approached me for my tricks to do the job faster (proper planning and ask your crews nicely, and the job would run smoothly), so I was not a villain either.

What's wrong with Kill Bill? My reaction when I first watching Lucy Liu and Kuriyama Chiaki (I've been a fan of her since Battle Royale) was screaming "COOL!!!", and they insert anime too!! What's wrong with their roles/characters?

And maybe it's just me, but I don't see Miss Saigon as sexualising Asian woman. It's true that historically in several countries in Asia, women were forced/used sexually by the invander soldiers and then left with children; Chinese women by Japanese soldiers during Japan occupation, Japanese women by American soldiers post WWII. In fact, it's actually based on Madame Butterfly first premier in Italy which based on a French novel about Japanese woman. It's a sad story about a woman's life post war, has nothing tp do with sexualising. (Now, if it's about Memoir of Geisha, then we can talk about stereotyping, they had it all wrong because in reality Geisha/Geiko is forbidden to offer sexual favour).

(...)part of that, my mom and I would often go to the Korean spa together. Now those of you
who haven’t been to one before it’s a very humbling experience for a girl going through puberty
because you enter a room with women from ages 9 to maybe 90 all walking around naked, and
waiting to get a body scrub on one of the tables lined up in a row.(...)

Honest question: is that how they do it in US? No robes or even towel when you lay down for massages? I've never been to Korea, but Japan has public bathhouses and onsen where you'll be fully naked in front of strangers but only when take a dip, when exiting changing room you have towel around you, not walking around naked.

And why it become a surprise for Meghan considering there are several nude beaches in western countries (which we don't have here in Asia btw, at least as far as I know)?

A colleague at work mentioned something similarity to me. She loves been references as a Dragon Lady. She is also Japanese and sees it as a compliment. Especially from men. She doesn't think it has anything to do with sexualization's - she see it as a regard for her work ethic and expertise. And I think she is right.

Story about me at an onsen. I was petrified to join friends at the onsen and it was a celebration and they had invited us - so I was concerned that it would seem rude to stay in my room hiding. When I expressed my fears to my host - she laughed and told me my fears were unneeded as no one was looking at anyone bodies at an onsen or bath. It is so normal in Japan culture. that it is - another naked woman. Move on. There was I stupid person holding on to my towel like my life depended on it.

I like the character that Lucy Liu portrays in Kill Bill. I actually see it as the most fleshed out character in the movies. In many ways I expect stereotypes in movies - as you cannot flesh out a character in such medium. The viewer needs to relate and fast. It is negative stereotypes that are concerning - especially if they add to the stereotype. Probably haven't explained myself well. I can take any movie - any. And point out the stereotype.

This thread has reached 101 pages. It is time for a new thread. You can find it here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom