Royal Blogger

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Five

Commencing June 2021

The previous thread can be found here
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:21 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Additional Notice:

Members wishing to post their thoughts, comments and responses may do so in a CONSTRUCTIVE way and in a manner that promotes MATURE AND THOUGHTFUL. When posting, members are expected to act CIVILLY, RESPONSIBLY AND WITH RESPECT both towards one another and towards the subject matter.

Members who do not comply with these requests will be warned and may be suspended.

The following subjects and types of posts are off-topic and unacceptable:
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other members and the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Nobility

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the new thread that JessRulz kindly put up a few days ago. I, for one, have run out of anything new to share or comment about the Sussexes.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've noticed that too and it was a wise decision to archive the old and start a new thread. The only thing that has caught my attention as far as Harry and Meghan is that there have been article headlines that purport that Harry and Meghan are to be invited to the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022 which is a non-story for me. Of course, as members of the BRF, they'll be included. HM, The Queen is the epitome of diplomacy and the fact does remain that Harry is now and always will be her grandson.

I expect that the next we'll hear from the Sussexes will be the announcement of the birth of their daughter.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Royal Highness

This is interesting. Harry's HRH is apparently now being dropped in royal contexts, although not on the website:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sington-palace

Maybe because HRP is charging for the tickets and they don't want this to be a gateway for HRH in California.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the new thread that JessRulz kindly put up a few days ago. I, for one, have run out of anything new to share or comment about the Sussexes.
I dont know if it is true, but I saw a a peice in a paper today (tabloid) saying hat Harry was planning on takng a few months paternity leave. So possibly he wont be doing anyting much for the next few months.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Serene Highness

The Times has released a review of The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall with only a short snippet shown.

Quote:
Writing good picture books for small children is far harder than it looks. A fact only reinforced after reading The Bench, the debut from Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, who follows Sarah Ferguson and Queen Victoria in the grand tradition of royals who have given it a go.

The story, so lacking in action and jeopardy you half wonder if the writing job was delegated to a piece of furniture, charts the relationship between a father and son seen through the eyes of a mother. The action takes place around the said bench, the daddies and boys changing from page to page, allowing for a diverse cast: a Sikh dad and his son play football, a father and son with plaited hair watch ...
The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review — lacking a good story and basic rhythm
Rather than entertainment for children, this reads as a self-help manual for needy parents, says Alex O’Connell
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ythm-h8236x3s3
Old 06-08-2021, 09:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont know if it is true, but I saw a a peice in a paper today (tabloid) saying hat Harry was planning on takng a few months paternity leave. So possibly he wont be doing anyting much for the next few months.

Honestly, my first thought when I read they’d both be off for a bit is that, they don’t seem to have actually done a lot of work that takes much time- though I realize our view is very limited and COVID impacted them too- - since roughly their last tour....

Maybe I’m not being fair to them. But they don’t seem to have been overly busy for a long time.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Times has released a review of The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall with only a short snippet shown.

The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review — lacking a good story and basic rhythm
Rather than entertainment for children, this reads as a self-help manual for needy parents, says Alex O’Connell
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ythm-h8236x3s3

Ouch. Just the snippet included speaks volumes. “Self help manual for needy parents.” And “writing job delegated to a piece of furniture” in particular. Clearly- not impressed at all.

The one poem someone posted awhile back did make this “children’s” book sound more like a book for parents than kids. Which is what this review is saying too.

The reviewer is basically saying: they don’t like the story or the writing style.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Just to advise that, earlier on, posts regarding members of the royal family have been moved over to the Members of the Royal Family thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ily-23667.html
Old 06-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Honestly, my first thought when I read they’d both be off for a bit is that, they don’t seem to have actually done a lot of work that takes much time- though I realize our view is very limited and COVID impacted them too- - since roughly their last tour....

Maybe I’m not being fair to them. But they don’t seem to have been overly busy for a long time.
Oh I wouldn't say that. I'd say that in a couple of months they have been very very vocal and busy at thier new role of talking about the RF. Meghan not so much but she's been pregnant....
Old 06-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Ouch. Just the snippet included speaks volumes. “Self help manual for needy parents.” And “writing job delegated to a piece of furniture” in particular. Clearly- not impressed at all.

The one poem someone posted awhile back did make this “children’s” book sound more like a book for parents than kids. Which is what this review is saying too.

The reviewer is basically saying: they don’t like the story or the writing style.
The Amazon reviews (US) are either 5 stars saying “perfect,” “amazing” or 1 star talking about how it is platitudes for parents and not a children’s book at all. The most poignant review is from a children’s librarian who talks about how many deserving authors there are and how she wouldn’t have been published if she wasn’t who she is.

Looks like it was published just in time for their fans to buy for Father’s Day.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Oh I wouldn't say that. I'd say that in a couple of months they have been very very vocal and busy at thier new role of talking about the RF. Meghan not so much but she's been pregnant....
Well, yes. I'd certainly agree that they've been busy. But I also agree with the question of what exactly is it they'll be taking leave from? What exactly is their job? They haven't exactly been cranking out the podcasts and documentaries. What exactly do they do other than issue statements and given interviews slamming that horrible, mean, nasty, racist, uncaring, cold family that they want so desperately to remain linked to with titles and never-ending commentary?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Nobility

I looked at Amazon UK and the results were either high praise or one star awful. Numerous UK. reviewers commented on the awful grammar.

Here is another quote from the Telegraph “ One wonders how any publisher could have thought fit to publish this grammar-defying set of badly rhyming cod homilies, let alone think any child anywhere would want to read it.“
Old 06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Well, yes. I'd certainly agree that they've been busy. But I also agree with the question of what exactly is it they'll be taking leave from? What exactly is their job? They haven't exactly been cranking out the podcasts and documentaries. What exactly do they do other than issue statements and given interviews slamming that horrible, mean, nasty, racist, uncaring, cold family that they want so desperately to remain linked to with titles and never-ending commentary?
But that is what they are doing, isn't it? They dont seem to be doing any "normal" documentaries.. but they can fairly easily think up a few things to say about the RF to make them look bad, and to make the Sussexes seem good. And every now and then I suppose they issue some preachment about politics or "being kind" or do a day of charity work. I reckon they can go on doing these attacks on the RF for a while and it will get them noticed and sympathized with by some.. so they'll go on doing that.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
We actually don't know what their lives are like outside of what has been presented in the public domain though. They could be up to their necks in projects that they're starting. They're just really fortunate that they can take this time to be together as a new family whereas so many families just can't do that.

I get the feeling that with the announcement that they're taking this time as a leave that it means we won't be hearing from them much for a while. Maybe that's a good thing?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We actually don't know what their lives are like outside of what has been presented in the public domain though. They could be up to their necks in projects that they're starting. They're just really fortunate that they can take this time to be together as a new family whereas so many families just can't do that.

I get the feeling that with the announcement that they're taking this time as a leave that it means we won't be hearing from them much for a while. Maybe that's a good thing?
Depends what they're doing. there were periods last year when they went quiet.. but presumably they were then doing their deals with Netflix, and preparing to launch their bombshell interview with Oprah.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I also saw a group of specific people campaign to review her book. Sites like Amazon can detect that kind of spam, so it will be interesting how many are legit reviews. They delete what’s targeted posting.

So far I’ve seen positive and negative newspaper reviews. It’s to be expected. Not sure why the likes of Daily Mail is comparing a very heavily promoted Hold Still to The Bench that’s had barely any. Also it’s literally the first day. I know the hate her but it’s comical.

I haven’t read the book. Not into kids novels but wish her success.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Royal Highness

The Sun had an amusing headline today "Earache Break for World: Harry to take 5 months orf" which yes it's The Sun but it seems to be the general idea of what they're taking time off from. They may well have projects on the go, and Harry has his Impact officer job but he wasn't full time or anything.

They clearly have the money and desire to spend time concentrating on their growing family and that's really great for them but I think a lot of people are a little bemused by the idea that it's a big deal, which is what some articles are pushing how "Harry and Meghan are leading the way on family focused life." Because the public don't see what might be keeping them professionally busy on a day to day basis except interviews about his family.

Here's the rather scathing Telegraph review of The Bench mentioned above for those who aren't subscribers:

https://archive.ph/Uhgqw

And The Times. That picture from The Times review show that they very, very clearly want you to know the book is written by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, even just by looking at the spine:

https://archive.ph/72A8T
Old 06-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
The Sun had an amusing headline today "Earache Break for World: Harry to take 5 months orf" which yes it's The Sun but it seems to be the general idea of what they're taking time off from. They may well have projects on the go, and Harry has his Impact officer job but he wasn't full time or anything.

They clearly have the money and desire to spend time concentrating on their growing family and that's really great for them but I think a lot of people are a little bemused by the idea that it's a big deal, which is what some articles are pushing how "Harry and Meghan are leading the way on family focused life." Because the public don't see what might be keeping them professionally busy on a day to day basis except interviews about his family.

Here's the rather scathing Telegraph review of The Bench mentioned above for those who aren't subscribers:

https://archive.ph/Uhgqw

And The Times. That picture from The Times review show that they very, very clearly want you to know the book is written by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, even just by looking at the spine:

https://archive.ph/72A8T
Ouch! Thanks so much for sharing these reviews by reputable sources!

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, prince harry