The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And apparently Meghan's well being and happiness was not a priority to Tom Markle. Did he just stop and think that he is actually going to the media to complain and criticize her and he even admitted he collected money for it. What sort of human being does that? I don't see any excuses for him. And Harry and Meghan did try to reach him and invite him to the wedding. Maybe if he just stops and considers what he is doing, there may be a time down the road when there can be some healing. Sometimes, trying with someone who continues to do negative things has to reach a point where the trying has to stop. He seems relentless in his going to the media which I find unfortunate. Plus he went out and said the royals "owed him". He talks about not seeing Archie and Lily but his son Tom Jr said he never sees the other grandchildren either.

And how does this differ from Harry and Meg going to the media and criticizing H's family? Clearly Thos Markle isn't a very stable man, mentally and he is not well off at all. I suspect he did the best he could for his children when they were young but then became a more distant dad as they got older... and he seems to have become almost a recluse.
But Harry and Meg have each other, have a home and a family, and are to say the least of it, comfortably off... so why are they lashing out at the RF? It seems like they're doing this for money. Its hard ot justify it otherwise, but they are not that badly off that they really need money...

Last edited:
My two cents is that they 'll make sure that everyone knows they don't go and that everyone knows they'll organize their very own Jubilee week at home Californian style .

Stay tuned for some instagram friendly pics ...

Now this I agree with. A notice sent out to the papers as to why they couldn't go but in honor of HM (who they are very close to :D) they will have their own party with invited friends.

And apparently Meghan's well being and happiness was not a priority to Tom Markle. Did he just stop and think that he is actually going to the media to complain and criticize her and he even admitted he collected money for it. What sort of human being does that? I don't see any excuses for him. And Harry and Meghan did try to reach him and invite him to the wedding. Maybe if he just stops and considers what he is doing, there may be a time down the road when there can be some healing. Sometimes, trying with someone who continues to do negative things has to reach a point where the trying has to stop. He seems relentless in his going to the media which I find unfortunate. Plus he went out and said the royals "owed him". He talks about not seeing Archie and Lily but his son Tom Jr said he never sees the other grandchildren either.

The Sussexes.

And how does this differ from Harry and Meg going to the media and criticizing H's family? Clearly Thos Markle isn't a very stable man, mentally and he is not well off at all. I suspect he did the best he could for his children when they were young but then became a more distant dad as they got older... and he seems to have become almost a recluse.
But Harry and Meg have each other, have a home and a family, and are to say the least of it, comfortably off... so why are they lashing out at the RF? It seems like they're doing this for money. Its hard ot justify it otherwise, but they are not that badly off that they really need money...

Whatever Harry and Meghan's actions, it does not excuse what Tom Markle does as far as I'm concerned. He unfortunately took the bait from the media to get money for his appearances. And he's not stopping now. He was a recluse but the media tracked him down.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...
Sadly it appears that the Sussexes have followed their parents' (Charles, Diana, Thomas) example of these types of interviews and likely they'll come to regret participating in them just as their parents did. The media coverage is fleeting but honestly the true cost is just too high IMO. :sad:

Last edited:
I’ve deleted a bunch of comments. The discussion about Archie’s title has gone on and on. Nothing new has been reported, so it’s just the same things being repeated over and over again. At this point everyone has said their piece, so let’s please move on.

Whatever Harry and Meghan's actions, it does not excuse what Tom Markle does as far as I'm concerned. He unfortunately took the bait from the media to get money for his appearances. And he's not stopping now. He was a recluse but the media tracked him down.

In my opinion Meghan and her father are exactly alike. No idea why she is mad at him, when she and Harry are doing exactly the same to the BRF. That's very hypocritical, really. The Sussexes and Thomas Markle are all making money off of maligning family members & revealing private details (true or not) in the media. I don't see the difference.

Meghan would have done better to have taken her mother's example - a very dignified woman, who has never commented on anything, and obviously has no interest in creating any sort of media drama.

No, it wasn't. As I said before, I think it was reasonable for Meghan to cut ties with him privately. And when he complains about how unfair it is that he's lost his daughter over this, I roll my eyes. That said, I don't think Meghan is blameless there. The largest estimate I've seen of what Thomas got for the incidents that prompted the estrangement is $30,000, and I think it was probably quite a bit less. If I had the sort of fortune Meghan and Harry have, neither of my parents would ever feel the need to do something like that for such a comparatively small amount of money.

And as others have pointed out, presumably Harry is being paid for the Apple TV series where viewers tuned it to see him throw his family under the bus. Even if they weren't directly paid for the Oprah interview, they're financially capitalizing on their continued celebrity, and anything they do to keep themselves in the news is done with that in mind. At least Thomas owns his own statements, rather than putting out an endless stream of leaks-that-aren't-really-leaks via "anonymous" sources that couldn't possibly be unauthorized.

Now this I agree with. A notice sent out to the papers as to why they couldn't go but in honor of HM (who they are very close to :D) they will have their own party with invited friends.

Didn't the Windsors do this when Elizabeth had her coronation? The party bit, not the notice to the papers.

I guess that’s the thing about royal life - you get visibility but no real power, and any platform and influence you may have is related to your position, not to who you are as an individual. I think people like joe Biden and Angela Merkel likely have a great deal of respect for the Queen precisely because she’s always been smart enough to stay in her lane, and has taken the ideas of duty and service to her country seriously.

Harry and Meghan don’t seem to get that royal platforms aren’t portable. If Harry had spent the last ten or fifteen years working at a non profit or NGO, and had really dedicated himself to his work, his professional experience and contacts combined with his family background would be starting to pay off in the form of real influence in his field. But getting to that point takes time and sustained effort, even for people from very privileged backgrounds.

I love how you said this - that royal platforms aren’t portable! They don’t seem to get that it is the position, not them personally. Or maybe they are getting that now since they are clinging to their titles.:whistling:

They would need a lot more real experience to have any real influence.

Understandable. It must really add to what is already certainly a painful, private situation for everyone for it to not only be public knowledge that there are family problems- but to then be asked about matters that are sensitive right now.

Though I suppose possibly people assume that a new baby would lead to face time or something no matter what the state of the relationship. Apparently not. That is quite sad.
And of course the stans are blaming Kate that she hasn’t FaceTimed with her new niece:rolleyes:

It's all part and parcel of what the Sussexes deemed they wanted though. Family wasn't important enough to want to live somewhat close to them so that their children would know their relatives but they also did their very best to destroy, by words, any relationship that did exist.

I suppose to some people, their children's heritage just isn't something that is overly important enough to maintain and nurture. It's kind of sad if you ask me.
I agree; and they have no relationships with anyone except Doria on Meghans side. Very sad but they chose to isolate themselves.

Didn't the Windsors do this when Elizabeth had her coronation? The party bit, not the notice to the papers.

I could see Harry and Meghan hosting a reception or a meal to celebrate the Jubilee, perhaps even collaborating with the Los Angeles-based British Consul General. There are plenty of prominent British people in LA to include as well. I think it's a fine idea if they elect to stay in CA for the Jubilee.

Little to no publicity would be key. IMHO a big media splash negates any notion of "supporting the monarch."

Possibly Harry will make a brief visit, just for one event.. and Meghan will stay home with the children....
I don’t think we’ll see either one of them. Besides the awkward and bad relationships with family, it sounds like the British public would boo them or throw eggs. I cannot see them risking that. Unless Sunshine Sachs convinces them that all is well.:ermm:

I could see Harry and Meghan hosting a reception or a meal to celebrate the Jubilee, perhaps even collaborating with the Los Angeles-based British Consul General. There are plenty of prominent British people in LA to include as well. I think it's a fine idea if they elect to stay in CA for the Jubilee.

Little to no publicity would be key. IMHO a big media splash negates any notion of "supporting the monarch."
Actually I would be very surprised if the British Consul General would collaborate with the Sussexes. The Government might not find that to be appropriate. However if the Sussexes opted to invite private citizens who happen to be British expats living in California, that's perfectly fine IMHO.

Actually I would be very surprised if the British Consul General would collaborate with the Sussexes. The Government might not find that to be appropriate. However if the Sussexes opted to invite private citizens who happen to be British expats living in California, that's perfectly fine IMHO.

I highly doubt the Sussexes would host such an event. I'm continually amazed by the power people believe Meghan possesses. ? She's the mastermind who tore poor Harry away from his loving family and forced him to betray them. Please! It's easier to blame her than to face the fact that Harry had suppressed his feelings for years. His wife was mistreated and he's angry. It's just that simple. I hope Meghan and her children never visit Britain. The uproar over a newborn baby's name is proof of how they will never be accepted.

It's a year away. The family situation might heal a bit. And HM's government might want a presence there to provide some semblance of unity.

I highly doubt the Sussexes would host such an event. I'm continually amazed by the power people believe Meghan possesses. ? She's the mastermind who tore poor Harry away from his loving family and forced him to betray them. Please! It's easier to blame her than to face the fact that Harry had suppressed his feelings for years. His wife was mistreated and he's angry. It's just that simple. I hope Meghan and her children never visit Britain. The uproar over a newborn baby's name is proof of how they will never be accepted.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. IMHO they'd likely host a gathering of well known British expats as well as their other friends.

Personally I don't view Meghan as a "mastermind who tore poor Harry away." IMHO he was more than willing to step back from senior royal duties. I'm very sorry though for the people who met him over the years through his official domestic and overseas royal visits as according to Prince Harry this was something that he thoroughly disliked doing. I wish that he'd kept that part private instead of publicly sharing that information.

As for the Sussexes never visiting the UK, we'll have to agree to disagree as well.

I agree; and they have no relationships with anyone except Doria on Meghans side. Very sad but they chose to isolate themselves.

Most people would isolate themselves from her toxic half-sister, and Thomas has isolated himself from everyone but her (Samantha). Even the jailbird brother and the pot magnate guy seem to have nothing to do with any of the cousins or nephews and nieces. It must be hard to have a ‘family’ like that. No wonder Doria calls Meghan ‘flower’.

Being estranged from such people is a hallmark of sensible behavior. Meghan worked hard all her life to get a good education, and was quite ambitious and successful professionally. Her broken family seems to have been envious of her. I hope she can get past this rough patch in her life and find her way forward.

Everyone makes mistakes. It doesn’t make them bad people, and they certainly aren’t irredeemable.

I don’t think we’ll see either one of them. Besides the awkward and bad relationships with family, it sounds like the British public would boo them or throw eggs. I cannot see them risking that. Unless Sunshine Sachs convinces them that all is well.:ermm:

I seriously doubt anyone would make such a scene. Also don’t assume they won’t have supporters as well. Anyways impossible to predict the actions in a year’s time. As we all know, so much can happen from now until then.

Most people would isolate themselves from her toxic half-sister, and Thomas has isolated himself from everyone but her (Samantha). Even the jailbird brother and the pot magnate guy seem to have nothing to do with any of the cousins or nephews and nieces. It must be hard to have a ‘family’ like that. No wonder Doria calls Meghan ‘flower’.

Being estranged from such people is a hallmark of sensible behavior. Meghan worked hard all her life to get a good education, and was quite ambitious and successful professionally. Her broken family seems to have been envious of her. I hope she can get past this rough patch in her life and find her way forward.

Everyone makes mistakes. It doesn’t make them bad people, and they certainly aren’t irredeemable.

There are healthy ways of handling toxic relatives. Engaging in public mudslinging isn't one of them. I don't know who the 'jailbird' or the 'pot magnate' is, but neither of those things would be enough for me to effectively disown a family member. And it's not just the Markles - Doria has a large extended family, and Meghan doesn't appear to have anything to do with any of them, either. They can't all be intolerably horrible.

If any official Jubilee celebrations are held in the US, they'll be in Washington DC and hosted by the British ambassador. That's the way these things work. If a well-known American living in the UK decided to hold a Fourth of July party, which I'm sure many do, I wouldn't expect the nearest consul to be involved with it.

There are healthy ways of handling toxic relatives. Engaging in public mudslinging isn't one of them. I don't know who the 'jailbird' or the 'pot magnate' is, but neither of those things would be enough for me to effectively disown a family member. And it's not just the Markles - Doria has a large extended family, and Meghan doesn't appear to have anything to do with any of them, either. They can't all be intolerably horrible.

I wouldn't blame her if she just doesn't have a relationship with relatives. She may just have nothing in common with them.. Lots of cousins but no real friends among them..
but there is a LONG way IMO between having no close connection or even having private rows with family members, and as you say going public. Her brother and sister have gone public.. so the best thing to do is ignore them. But SHE has gone public and so has Harry, in their rows with the BRF.

Precisely. The media tracked him down. He is not well off, in bad health and seems to live as a recluse perhaps because of embarrassment at his financial situation or because of his poor health. He was tempted by the media, and the money they offered. Meg and Harry have a stable marriage, are well to do and were able to move to a nice home in the US when they left England.. why do THEY need to talk to the media?

:previous: Very interesting if true. But unless the Palace is going to start issuing official press releases saying things like "The Queen was told rather than asked about the Sussexes using her nickname," it's not clear to me how this would look any different than the current situation where leaks (that may not really be "leaks") are attributed to some anonymous courtier and are sometimes not very accurate. How is anyone supposed to know the difference? And if this change was based on exasperation about her personal conversations being misrepresented in the media, shouldn't there be an official clarification coming out right about now?

In fairness to H&M, this is the sort of thing that different people may genuinely perceive very differently. They may have sincerely believed they were asking, while the Queen interpreted it more as a telling. But even if they'd asked, it still would have put her between a rock and a hard place. If she'd said "I'd rather you didn't," H&M would probably have been all over the airwaves talking about how the Queen didn't want a mixed-race baby to be named after her, even though she was fine with her white grand-grandkids sharing her name. Even if they were truly well-intentioned, that sort of misunderstanding is the perfect example of what happens when people feel like they can't speak freely with you, lest a twisted version of what they said end up on Good Morning America.

It puts H&M in a difficult spot, too, because even if they sincerely try to make amends with the family, no family member will tell them honestly what they think needs to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I think these issues will simply build on themselves until there's no longer any communication.

No, it wasn't. As I said before, I think it was reasonable for Meghan to cut ties with him privately. And when he complains about how unfair it is that he's lost his daughter over this, I roll my eyes. That said, I don't think Meghan is blameless there. The largest estimate I've seen of what Thomas got for the incidents that prompted the estrangement is $30,000, and I think it was probably quite a bit less. If I had the sort of fortune Meghan and Harry have, neither of my parents would ever feel the need to do something like that for such a comparatively small amount of money.

And as others have pointed out, presumably Harry is being paid for the Apple TV series where viewers tuned it to see him throw his family under the bus. Even if they weren't directly paid for the Oprah interview, they're financially capitalizing on their continued celebrity, and anything they do to keep themselves in the news is done with that in mind. At least Thomas owns his own statements, rather than putting out an endless stream of leaks-that-aren't-really-leaks via "anonymous" sources that couldn't possibly be unauthorized.
I'd say that Thos Markle got a lot less for his talks than they are getting. And he is not well off.. so I could understand the temptation. At first I think he didn't say anything much, and I got the feeling that he was in over his head with the media and his own somewhat odd personality. He shouldn't have talked to them at all, but at first I dont think he had an interest in saying anything critical.. he was just a rather stupid man, trying to make some money so that he wasn't embarrassed before his daughter who was marrying into great wealth
I think that yes, there are issues in the Markle family, he seems to have been close to Meghan but less so as she got older and it was the same with his other kids. But he wasn't attacking Meghan till she seems to have become uneasy with him. I think she could have been a bit friendlier to him when she and H got engaged.. gone to see him.. perhaps arranged for him to have a steady modest income and perhaps he then wouldnt have succumbed to the temptation to talk

Perhaps it boils down to that their expectations exceeded the reality. They expected to leave the family and the "Firm" yet take with them the perks that life offered. The titles and the security and the visibility to the public. They expected to live in the manner they'd become accustomed to but quickly found out that they'll be able to have only what they can afford. They expected their reputation as philanthropists to follow them to California and found out that their reputation was based on being part of the monarchy and the work it does for the people. They expected to have a lot of money flowing in and found out that people don't stand in line to throw cash their way because of who they are.

They're finding out what the "real world" is like. Maybe Harry has disliked his status for a long time but frankly, he's known nothing else since birth. Meghan didn't mesh well with the royal world and now Harry's floundering adjusting to Meghan's world. They both made a rash decision to change up everything to be new and shiny but the kicker is that they had no real concrete plans as a basis to sustain them on their own. A couple of contracts with Netflix and Spotify isn't any where near to being something they can maintain the lifestyle they're choosing.

If they'd have been pleased as Punch the way things were going, there'd be no need for all the negativity that's coming from them. There'd be no need to threaten legal action when someone stated something they didn't like the way it sounded.

I know its the DM and the report of the Queen deciding to hit back at mistruths but, seriously, I think it would be a good idea to quash these "blurbs" that involve the Queen and the "Firm" rather than let them grow and fester. What is going to happen? Will Meghan set her land sharks on the Queen and slap her with a lawsuit? I don't think so.

Enough is enough.

:previous: I agree, for all that talk about being "linked and not ranked" these two REALLY loves their royal titles (that's why "The Bench" was written by "Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex" instead of "Meghan Markle") and connections. They can diss the BRF as much as they want, but the truth of the matter is, H&M wouldn't be in the position they're currently in without their royal connections. How many soldiers and TV actresses do you know who could afford a big mansion with 16 bathrooms and got an interview with Oprah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom