The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry and Meghan might crash and burn. They also might be quite successful. Time will tell which way it goes. No matter what happens though, there is no pleasing everyone. Seems to me some are hoping they fail which is quite fascinating.

As for relationships with Archie and Lili? The kids will be raised American. Archie hasn't been in the UK since he was 6 months old. I think that says it all really. Harry might return for the statue but that might be the last time he goes back for a long time.

The Sussexes will obviously travel a bit next year. Time can heal. So who knows.

It seemed that only HM, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate were there to greet the Bidens.

Harry and Meghan might crash and burn. They also might be quite successful. Time will tell which way it goes. No matter what happens though, there is no pleasing everyone. Seems to me some are hoping they fail which is quite fascinating.

As for relationships with Archie and Lili? The kids will be raised American. Archie hasn't been in the UK since he was 6 months old. I think that says it all really. Harry might return for the statue but that might be the last time he goes back for a long time.

The Sussexes will obviously travel a bit next year. Time can heal. So who knows.

If its the last time he goes back for some time, I dont think there will be much "healing"... and if he and Meghan continue to make a career out of bashing the RF, they certainly wont be all that welcome in the UK, or with the family...
They wont starve, but their career has its limitations if it is largely about telling the dark secrets of hte RF>....

Maybe HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex feel that the sacrifices are worth it?

Sure, they can't easily do things like meet the Bidens or go to State Dinners. And maybe things may have gotten better both in terms of causes they wanted to champion and the struggles they experienced working in the Royal Family. But maybe they feel that it was worth losing those things in order to gain other things: access to themselves and their children on their terms, the ability to discuss issues that would be verboten if they were still working members of the BRF, open discussions about their mental health without having to put on a mask of gentility, etc... I think they are overall happy with their decision in that regard.

The rest of the BRF feels differently. Staying above political issues, finding ways to help people and represent their country and commonwealth, and honoring their positions with poise and grace are definitely not sacrifices for them. It's wonderful that the BRF are that dedicated to their positions, but HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex venturing to make their own way is okay too.

I don't think that the issues between the Sussexes and the rest of the family are as bad as it sometimes appears. Families fight, but in time, they always come back together. Between Covid, the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, and the births of three, soon to be four, babies this year, they'll see that fighting isn't worth it.

Maybe HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex feel that the sacrifices are worth it?

I honestly believe that if they felt that leaving the "Firm", the royal life and the UK was worth it and they were happy and content in their new lives, they wouldn't have felt the necessity to publicly air all their complaints and paint themselves as victims to an audience of millions of people.

I agree. Also recall Meghan's comment that 'all is already lost' (or something along those lines), so, apparently, they feel they lost everything already (i.e., the opposite of them gaining everything they were looking for); which is why they are not holding back in trashing their family as much as they like (while somehow thinking that's a great way to repair relationships?!?!).

It seemed that only HM, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate were there to greet the Bidens.
And they met with all of the other world leaders attending the G7 Summit in Cornwall. ?

Considering how HM has typically included family members with origins in other nations ie Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Michael of Kent when entertaining world leaders, I believe had the Sussexes remained as part of the working BRF that they'd been invited to the G7 Summit reception. (Of course only if they were not at home with a newborn baby.)

I agree. Also recall Meghan's comment that 'all is already lost' (or something along those lines), so, apparently, they feel they lost everything already (i.e., the opposite of them gaining everything they were looking for); which is why they are not holding back in trashing their family as much as they like (while somehow thinking that's a great way to repair relationships?!?!).

She didn’t say she lost everything. She said she had already lost things in her life and referenced her baby and father. IIRC it was about being concerned how speaking out could affect them. Basically those are the biggest things she could possibly lose, anything also doesn’t come close.

I never got the impression she was at all concerned about how speaking out might affect her father. I don't necessarily think she should have been at this point, either. Given some of his behavior, I'm not criticizing her decision to cut ties with him. But it's clear his happiness and well-being isn't a priority to her, and hasn't been for some time. For her to describe that as a "loss" rather than a choice she freely made was a bit much.

What sacrifices have they made? They're still well to do, have got for the moment a possibilty of making money, and they can talk about politics (if that is their fancy) to their hearts content....

Two people I know went to LA for the big dream. Made a really successful life, with plenty of money. But I was shocked that both of them have now been divorced 3 times. One had children; the other one never did.

I wonder if Meghan and Harry would not have been happier in a Ranch in Wyoming. I think they both need peace and tranquillity; as they do seem very unhappy with life in general. Meghan is 40, in August; and so many family members not there with her.

I just don’t see them coming to the UK for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, 2022. I think they will stay away from the media circus.

Two people I know went to LA for the big dream. Made a really successful life, with plenty of money. But I was shocked that both of them have now been divorced 3 times. One had children; the other one never did.

I wonder if Meghan and Harry would not have been happier in a Ranch in Wyoming. I think they both need peace and tranquillity; as they do seem very unhappy with life in general. Meghan is 40, in August; and so many family members not there with her.

I just don’t see them coming to the UK for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, 2022. I think they will stay away from the media circus.

I dont think so. If they were really oh so stressed out, surely the idea of a quiet country life somewhere, Canada or the USA or something, would have appealed and they would have gone for it, for starters. But they didnt. They headed for LA...(I think they only stayed in Can for a bit, because it was cheaper than LA and they were getting free security.. but were close enough to the US to go there to work). wehn the free security disappeared, they shot off to LA.
I dont think they are bothered by the media circus except when they get criticized, and then they kick up. but they NEED media attention. How else are they going to be able to make a living? How else are they going to get the notice and drama that they also seem to need?
I think they'll be invited to the Jubillee, but they will either come and be rather uncomfortable.. becuase many of the RF are not happy with him.. or they will find some excuse not to go....

My two cents is that they 'll make sure that everyone knows they don't go and that everyone knows they'll organize their very own Jubilee week at home Californian style .

Stay tuned for some instagram friendly pics ...

My two cents is that they 'll make sure that everyone knows they don't go and that everyone knows they'll organize their very own Jubilee week at home Californian style .

Stay tuned for some instagram friendly pics ...

Possibly Harry will make a brief visit, just for one event.. and Meghan will stay home with the children....

I never got the impression she was at all concerned about how speaking out might affect her father. I don't necessarily think she should have been at this point, either. Given some of his behavior, I'm not criticizing her decision to cut ties with him. But it's clear his happiness and well-being isn't a priority to her, and hasn't been for some time. For her to describe that as a "loss" rather than a choice she freely made was a bit much.

I can't help but think that after the experiences they had with Mr. Markle and how that ended, that Harry and Meghan couldn't help but be aware that they were about to do the same thing to Harry's family as they sat down to film the interview with Oprah. Didn't they realize that they were stepping into Mr. Markle's shoes and doing exactly what they cannot seem to forgive Mr. Markle for doing? They made the same bad choice.

They have "lost" a lot over the past year but they are definitely not victims. They've chosen to structure their lives this way and have chosen to alienate not only Harry's family but probably the majority of British citizens.

I don't see them attending the 2022 Platinum Jubilee either. For one, I don't believe they will be warmly welcomed by anyone overly much and secondly, I think they'll realize that if they do attend, their roles in the scheme of things will be greatly diminished and they'll be treated like the extended family that they are with once again, the continuity of the monarchy taking center stage. This time it'll just be HM, The Queen, Charles and Camilla and William and Catherine and their children on the balcony. No Harry as he doesn't fit into the scheme of the monarchy of the future any longer.

Did anyone catch the BBC will no longer comment on Dyson’s report about baby Lili’s name due to legal reasons? Not sure what that means but interesting update. It was on a segment by Newswatch when they said they reached out for a statement.

Harry might attend the Jubilee but I will be surprised if Meghan does. But also it’s a year from now. A lot can happen in that timeframe, so who knows. Also the Sussexes would have just finished up Invictus Games a week before. It would be easy to stay but then again…

Last edited:
I can't help but think that after the experiences they had with Mr. Markle and how that ended, that Harry and Meghan couldn't help but be aware that they were about to do the same thing to Harry's family as they sat down to film the interview with Oprah. Didn't they realize that they were stepping into Mr. Markle's shoes and doing exactly what they cannot seem to forgive Mr. Markle for doing? They made the same bad choice.

They have "lost" a lot over the past year but they are definitely not victims. They've chosen to structure their lives this way and have chosen to alienate not only Harry's family but probably the majority of British citizens.

I don't see them attending the 2022 Platinum Jubilee either. For one, I don't believe they will be warmly welcomed by anyone overly much and secondly, I think they'll realize that if they do attend, their roles in the scheme of things will be greatly diminished and they'll be treated like the extended family that they are with once again, the continuity of the monarchy taking center stage. This time it'll just be HM, The Queen, Charles and Camilla and William and Catherine and their children on the balcony. No Harry as he doesn't fit into the scheme of the monarchy of the future any longer.

Very well written post! :flowers:

I agree with you Osipi on that Harry & Meghan are almost "stepping into Thomas Markle's shoes" by airing dirty laundry on the Oprah interview, Armchair Expert podcast and "The Me You Can't See" documentary. The Sussexes are risking to not be forgiven by the Royal Family if they continue to go down that route, just like what happened to Mr. Markle himself (after selling stories to the press). The Sussexes themselves chose to leave as senior working royals and the UK, so they are not exactly "victims" nor were they kicked out by the Royal Family. They have also decided to dip their toes in US politics whilst using their "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" title, which does not exactly "uphold values of Her Majesty", as noted in their Sussex Royal website. They seem to be very keen on holding on to the Royal titles and connections, whilst throwing them under the bus with the Oprah's interview and documentary.

I thought I was cynical/pessimistic in suggesting that the Sussexes will not be back in the UK for Trooping of the Colours and Queen's Platinum Jubilee. However, after looking back last year and the beginning of this year with their negative popularity ratings, I would not be surprised if Royal Family (family members & Palace staff) do not invite them to public events. In terms of private family gathering (assuming COVID-19 restrictions have completely phased out), it all depends on the Sussexes' relationship with the Royal Family members (not just The Queen, Charles and William) or if they are keen to visit the UK.

This year slightly remind me of 1964 with the birth of August, Lucas, Lili and upcoming Baby Mapelli Mozzi (similar to James Ogilvy, Earl of Wessex, Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Sarah Chatto). If Lily never get to meet her paternal side of the family or even set foot in the UK, she is probably going to miss out the joint 21st birthday in the future or even physically meet her royal cousins (George, Charlotte, Louis, Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena, Lucas, August).

Picture of James Ogilvy, Earl of Wessex, Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Sarah Chatto in 1985.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0SFz7FWUAIuqml?format=jpg&name=medium

To me H&M both seem very much "if you don't learn from the past, you're doomed to repeat it" kind of people..

She didn’t say she lost everything. She said she had already lost things in her life and referenced her baby and father. IIRC it was about being concerned how speaking out could affect them. Basically those are the biggest things she could possibly lose, anything also doesn’t come close.

Respectfully, I do not believe you do recall this correctly. She was specifically referring to what she could lose in terms of the the Palace hearing her "speak her truth" and no reference whatever was made to the loss of her relationship with her father or the loss of her child in this context. The question put to her is what she could lose in terms of her relationship with the Palace, and her answer can only be reasonably understood in terms of what she has lost in that context.

I would recommend anyone who questions that she was asked directly about- and answered directly in reference to- having lost "a lot" in reference to her relationship to "the Palace" re-listen to this segment of the interview.

I do not know why we would attempt to re-work her answer here into a commentary on her miscarriage.

Anything can have happened by next summer. I've just rebooked the holiday I booked in September 2019, which was originally for July 2020 and was then rebooked for July 2021, for July 2022, and am hoping to make it third time lucky! I don't think either Harry or Meghan are particularly wanted in the UK, but, for the sake of the Queen, I hope they bring the children here at some point.

Anything can have happened by next summer. I've just rebooked the holiday I booked in September 2019, which was originally for July 2020 and was then rebooked for July 2021, for July 2022, and am hoping to make it third time lucky! I don't think either Harry or Meghan are particularly wanted in the UK, but, for the sake of the Queen, I hope they bring the children here at some point.

I hope so, but given that Meghan probably wants to come as little as she's wanted, I'm not sure they will be brought to the UK in the next couple of years.

Respectfully, I do not believe you do recall this correctly. She was specifically referring to what she could lose in terms of the the Palace hearing her "speak her truth" and no reference whatever was made to the loss of her relationship with her father or the loss of her child in this context. The question put to her is what she could lose in terms of her relationship with the Palace, and her answer can only be reasonably understood in terms of what she has lost in that context.

I would recommend anyone who questions that she was asked directly about- and answered directly in reference to- having lost "a lot" in reference to her relationship to "the Palace" re-listen to this segment of the interview.

I do not know why we would attempt to re-work her answer here into a commentary on her miscarriage.

I’m not reworking anything. She said this response to how the palace would respond to her speaking out:

"I think I'm not going to live my life in fear. I think so much of it is said with an understanding of just truth. But I think to answer your question, I don't know how they could expect that after all of this time we would still just be silent if there is an active role that the firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us. That at a certain point, you're going to go, 'But you guys, someone just tell the truth.' And if that comes with the risk of losing things, I mean, I've lost...there's a lot that's been lost already. I've lost my father, I lost a baby, I nearly lost my name. But I'm still standing. And my hope for people in the takeaway from this is to know that there's another side to know that life is worth living."

So how is she not referencing her father and miscarriage exactly? So I stand by what I said. You might interpret it differently but it’s quite clear to me what she meant.

Well, her entire answer was something about wanting to tell the truth, immediately followed by "And if that comes with the risk of losing things, I mean, I've lost...there's a lot that's been lost already. I've lost my father, I lost a baby, I nearly lost my name." In context, I think she probably meant that she knew she was resilient enough to withstand some additional personal losses, not that she blamed the Firm for the loss of her baby or her father. But I also don't think the implication was accidental. There were just too many instances in that interview where she skirted right up to the line of accusing them of something, and someone who wasn't carefully picking apart every word would conclude that she'd made a claim she'd actually stopped just short of making.

Well, her entire answer was something about wanting to tell the truth, immediately followed by "And if that comes with the risk of losing things, I mean, I've lost...there's a lot that's been lost already. I've lost my father, I lost a baby, I nearly lost my name." In context, I think she probably meant that she knew she was resilient enough to withstand some additional personal losses, not that she blamed the Firm for the loss of her baby or her father. But I also don't think the implication was accidental. There were just too many instances in that interview where she skirted right up to the line of accusing them of something, and someone who wasn't carefully picking apart every word would conclude that she'd made a claim she'd actually stopped just short of making.

Can you follow what she's saying? Because I can't...

Oh, they're victims, alright. Victims of their own hubris. Not that I expect them to realize this.

As to whether or not they would have been in attendance at the G7 opening yesterday had they stayed in the royal fold - I suspect that they would have but if the election had gone the other way, they would have found a reason to skip it. Meghan has made her views on American politics VERY clear.

Meghan gave birth a week ago. I doubt she would have. Also if the election went the other way, I wonder if we would have seen the big charm offensive as well. As many pointed out the Cambridges avoided much interaction with the Trumps too. ;)

I think a lot of what we saw was because it was the Bidens.

Meghan gave birth a week ago. I doubt she would have. Also if the election went the other way, I wonder if we would have seen the big charm offensive as well. As many pointed out the Cambridges avoided much interaction with the Trumps too. ;)

I think a lot of what we saw was because it was the Bidens.

Just a quick note here to steer things away from the political. We saw Jill Biden and The Duchess of Cambridge doing a joint event and writing an op-ed solely because both women are actively involved in education of children. It would be the same if things had been that Harry was still a working royal as Jill Biden is also a supporter of the Invictus Games and Walking with the Wounded.

I don't see American politics coming into this at all. Meghan, actually, though would not have anything in common or a platform to do anything at all with anyone that was at the G7 summit no matter who they are now or could have been.

Oh, they're victims, alright. Victims of their own hubris. Not that I expect them to realize this.

As to whether or not they would have been in attendance at the G7 opening yesterday had they stayed in the royal fold - I suspect that they would have but if the election had gone the other way, they would have found a reason to skip it. Meghan has made her views on American politics VERY clear.

I dont think she would let that stop her from being at an event if she wanted to go. She said didn't she that she didn't want to live in the US if Trump was President but she went there last year....

And apparently Meghan's well being and happiness was not a priority to Tom Markle. Did he just stop and think that he is actually going to the media to complain and criticize her and he even admitted he collected money for it. What sort of human being does that? I don't see any excuses for him. And Harry and Meghan did try to reach him and invite him to the wedding. Maybe if he just stops and considers what he is doing, there may be a time down the road when there can be some healing. Sometimes, trying with someone who continues to do negative things has to reach a point where the trying has to stop. He seems relentless in his going to the media which I find unfortunate. Plus he went out and said the royals "owed him". He talks about not seeing Archie and Lily but his son Tom Jr said he never sees the other grandchildren either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom