The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post

You're correct it's not different from protocol if she meant from birth but why are everyone just assuming that that was what she meant? It seem much more likely that she referred to plans to strip Archie (and Lili) of the titles they, at the moment, automatically are elevated to once Charles succeeds QEII.

We don't know the details of such plans and the thought process behind them and as such we can't categorically deny that Meghan was incorrect that Archie's race had to do with it (nor can we confirm it). Why would she (they) apologise if their claims are true?
You're right, we don't know the details of future plans and therefore can't confirm or deny whether that is the case. However, we do know that currently these children weren't entitled to prince/princess titles from birth and won't be until their grandfather becomes King and it has nothing to do with race. That much we do know with certainty. But, because once again it wasn't clear exactly what she meant, this becomes another example of the word salad and double speak or word play that so often seems to be employed by these two in order to give them room to walk back statements or say that everyone else misunderstood.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I just love all this talk about the maternity leave, when Archie was born she was out and about and seemingly working very hard behind closed doors, because according to posters on here she was a worker and not lazy. I had made a comment that I thought she should take things easy because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how rich you are how much help you have a woman has physically had a baby. I was slaughtered on here for criticising Meghan for not being lazy.

I am not sure what the rule is about maternity leave in the USA but it does happen here in the UK. All this talk of doing the right thing.
For most states in the US it is 12 weeks of UNPAID leave. We are behind other developed countries IMHO. Also we do not get anywhere near the vacation time that many Europeans receive. Most folks start at a week and have to work many, many years to get two weeks. With the exception of those of us in education who get the summer “off” (except for this crazy year), I don’t know anyone who gets more than two weeks. My dad was in corporate management and retired having had two weeks vacation.
We Americans can be very “not family friendly” in the corporate world

Twenty weeks of paid leave??? Give me a break - corporations would go broke. And who is on Archewell’s payroll besides H&M.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
You're right, we don't know the details of future plans and therefore can't confirm or deny whether that is the case. However, we do know that currently these children weren't entitled to prince/princess titles from birth and won't be until their grandfather becomes King and it has nothing to do with race. That much we do know with certainty. But, because once again it wasn't clear exactly what she meant, this becomes another example of the word salad and double speak or word play that so often seems to be employed by these two in order to give them room to walk back statements or say that everyone else misunderstood.
Right, and nothing implies that that was what she meant?

But I do agree that it would've served themselves best to be completely unambiguous in allegations like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
you have hit the nail on the head because we can never be sure what Meghan means as she has her own spin on everything.
Her own spin? Please do elaborate

Old 06-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It wasn’t intentional for either of us. :)
Mistakes happen.
Thanks, Erin! I appreciate your taking the time to say that!
Old 06-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Uh... no?

You're correct it's not different from protocol if she meant from birth but why are everyone just assuming that that was what she meant? It seem much more likely that she referred to plans to strip Archie (and Lili) of the titles they, at the moment, automatically are elevated to once Charles succeeds QEII.

We don't know the details of such plans and the thought process behind them and as such we can't categorically deny that Meghan was incorrect that Archie's race had to do with it (nor can we confirm it). Why would she (they) apologise if their claims are true?
Well it sure sounds like from birth in the interview but to coin a phrase recollections may vary.

The idea that the boy was not/might not be made a prince because of his race is risible.

The claim was patently incorrect which is why an apology would be the honourable thing to do. It caused damage to race relations in Britain for a start.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:03 PM
Nobility

Heavs, thanks so much! You are amazing!
Old 06-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well it sure sounds like from birth in the interview but to coin a phrase recollections may vary.

The idea that the boy was not/might not be made a prince because of his race is risible.

The claim was patently incorrect which is why an apology would be the honourable thing to do. It caused damage to race relations in Britain for a start.
May I ask which part that makes it sound like she means from the birth?

Old 06-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
May I ask which part that makes it sound like she means from the birth?
The part where she's talking about this topic. Where else would it be?
Old 06-09-2021, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Cleary everyone has their own opinion about the whole title issue. Continuing to argue about it won’t change minds, so please move on

The discussion about Harry and Meghan threatening legal action against the BBC, has been moved to the “Birth of Lilibet” thread.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Folks mean Her Majesty by HM, H&M is Harry and Meghan, and RF is the Royal Family. It took me awhile to figure this out too!
It took me weeks to figure out that ELF was Edward Lane Fox. I'd think to myself, why bring Extremely Low Frequency into this discussion? What did I miss?
Old 06-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

Quote:
For most states in the US it is 12 weeks of UNPAID leave. We are behind other developed countries IMHO. Also we do not get anywhere near the vacation time that many Europeans receive. Most folks start at a week and have to work many, many years to get two weeks. With the exception of those of us in education who get the summer “off” (except for this crazy year), I don’t know anyone who gets more than two weeks. My dad was in corporate management and retired having had two weeks vacation.

We Americans can be very “not family friendly” in the corporate world

Twenty weeks of paid leave??? Give me a break - corporations would go broke. And who is on Archewell’s payroll besides H&M.

Exactly. America is not employee friendly in terms of maternity leave or paid vacation time off. Or employee benefits in general.

Some places do give 6 paid weeks of maternity leave, but that’s about as good as it gets. It’s sure not required. And 12 weeks total is usually max. Though where I work- it’s ALL unpaid. So- yeah- up to 20 weeks paid leave made an impression on me. It’s not something any average American would identify with.

2 weeks vacation time is somewhat standard in my experience. Though- as noted- also not required. Anything more is usually dependent on the number of years at the company or your role. Also one of the reasons why the Sussexes rather lengthy Canadian break made an impression on me.

That’s all very nice, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not the world the average American identifies with at all.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thanks, Erin! I appreciate your taking the time to say that!

Of course.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Majesty

Didn’t Scobie say ‘UP to twenty weeks parental leave’ as per Archewell employees, (which would include their support and comms staff) not that Harry would necessarily be taking the 20 weeks. In fact we know he isn’t. The Diana statue visit is at the beginning of July, for instance. I expect at least one Spotify podcast as well as filming to begin at least in part on vets taking part in the Invictus Games in the next two or three months, as well as Archewell ventures from the two of them.

When my eldest child was born over 40 years ago here in Australia I worked for a Govt Department and received very generous maternity leave of nine months, most of it paid. And the vast majority of new parents in Scandinavia, and Europe get excellent maternity and paternity leave provisions and pay.

If the US is lagging behind so much in this area then maybe its citizens should contact their State representatives and ask for the same sort of conditions after having a baby that most of the rest of the First World enjoys.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Nobility

From the NY Post: an interesting article written in the US.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/just-k...ry-and-meghan/
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I mean it is Murdoch's NY Post. That is like being surprised Fox News wrote did a unflattering segment about Joe Biden. Lol. They recently hired an English editor that has oddly fixated on the Sussexes. It is turning into the Daily Mail with the nonstop stories.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I mean it is Murdoch's NY Post. That is like being surprised Fox News wrote did a unflattering segment about Joe Biden. Lol. They recently hired an English editor that has oddly fixated on the Sussexes. It is turning into the Daily Mail with the nonstop stories.
I usually just follow The NY Times, not the Post, but thought I would share as some folks here think that all US media are sympathetic to the Sussexes.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

Quote:

I cringed at the reminder that Meghan referred to the family as “that family.” Especially in light of recent events.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Not all US media like the Sussexes. The right wing media hate them, especially her. Just like not all UK media dislike them.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:52 PM
Commoner

It's not just 'right wing' media. Most US media is giving them the side-eye. Most media here is not 'right wing.' They are only relevant when whining about the BRF.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
not that Harry would necessarily be taking the 20 weeks. In fact we know he isn’t. The Diana statue visit is at the beginning of July, for instance.
Has it been confirmed that he's going for that? And even if he was, wouldn't that be him acting as an individual? My understanding was that it was all planned before Archewell or any of Harry's other independent possibly-income-generating projects existed.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, prince harry