The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sarah's case, "Duchess of York" was essentially her surname, and after the divorce that is all it was: no longer a title, just a surname. So it followed - as is the case with most women who have taken their husband's surname on marriage and keep using it after divorce - her post-divorce name was her first name followed by the (former) husband's surname. Thus Sarah went from being HRH, The Duchess of York, to Sarah, Duchess of York. She lost the royal style of HRH automatically when she lost the royal husband because she only had it as of courtesy as his wife and to keep using it would have required the monarch's consent.

I don't think she lost the HRH style automatically. The Queen actually had to issue Letters Patent in 1996 to clarify that former wives of British princes were not entitled to the HRH.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/54510/page/11603

I don't think Americans in particular would understand a style like "Princess Henry". It may sound natural in the UK, but it sounds odd in most other countries.

I didn't know until I started lurking here that "Princess Diana" wasn't her correct title. That's what the mainstream American media always called her. I haven't seen any real media (as opposed to blogs and whatnot) refer to "Princess Meghan," so whatever else they may be getting wrong, that's a big improvement.

I didn't know until I started lurking here that "Princess Diana" wasn't her correct title. That's what the mainstream American media always called her. I haven't seen any real media (as opposed to blogs and whatnot) refer to "Princess Meghan," so whatever else they may be getting wrong, that's a big improvement.
I would just like to see the press stop using “Kate Middleton” and “Meghan Markle” ;)

True. I have a feeling the American media messed up because Diana was the Princess of Wales....just not Princess Diana.

I really can’t picture Meghan ever going by Princess Harry. And it would definitely confuse Americans. I don’t think it would be particularly useful to her brand either.

Oh good lord, I just saw the clip showing "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" on that screen........tacky, tacky, tacky.

I know, it's looks weird to us, the American audience. Everyone in the US knows Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez and Ben Affleck, Prince Harry is not on their level and he is a terrible public speaker, zero charisma and boring speech

That’s not what the audience thought. They cheered and gave him a standing ovation. And many online commenters praised him. Harry has always been very comfortable at public speaking. And even the DM was complimentary for them.

I know, it's looks weird to us, the American audience. Everyone in the US knows Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez and Ben Affleck, Prince Harry is not on their level and he is a terrible public speaker, zero charisma and boring speech

I didn’t watch so I can’t judge....though overall Harry doesn’t do anything for me personally as a public speaker.

It doesn't matter to me how he was known or that his name was in lights. It doesn't matter to me if he's an eloquent speaker or not. It doesn't matter to me if he got paid for this or if he volunteered his time like other people did for this cause. What matters to me is that he gave of his time and his energy and himself to try and make a difference in a world that severely needs to reach everyone and get them vaccinated against Covid-19.

Harry, in this case, mattered. For that he's earned my respect. ?

For me, an event like that might not be to everyone's taste, but if it helps sway even a couple of people's minds (and imo the reality is, that there are people out there who look up to celebrities and are influenced by them) about the importance of vaccination and the need to do so on a global scale, it's all good as far as i am concerned :flowers:

Also if Harry drops the Sussex title then he will revert to Prince Harry (Henry) and Meghan (who by custom takes his styling would be Princess Henry.

I don't think Americans in particular would understand a style like "Princess Henry". It may sound natural in the UK, but it sounds odd in most other countries.

How about Harry and Meghan Sussex?

I've only seen the clip with Harry. Did they flash up the names of Jennifer Lopez and the others in big silver lights as well? If so, then they were just introducing Harry the same way, and that is his official name. But, yes, it did look a bit strange.

I don’t see a problem with them using their titles.
It’s not like they urned them because of something they did.
Harry got his because of the family he comes from and the rules of that family. Meghan got hers because of who she married.
And that didn’t change.

Im sure he does, but it suits his narrative to say that Diana "knew he wold need money" and left it to him, while his fahter meanly refused him money...

I thought I recalled him making a comment like that in the interview, who else would his mother leave her money to but her sons.

How about Harry and Meghan Sussex?

I do not think it would make any difference what their names were officially, as people would put their own spin on it, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle is still used in the media and on blogs/ social media.

We know who they are, what does it matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I recalled him making a comment like that in the interview, who else would his mother leave her money to but her sons.

Well of course it is a silly thing to say but it was said to emphasize that Mean Old Dad wouldn't help him, and his good mother DID think of him and leave him money so he could escape from the nasty old BRF...
That is what they feel American admirers want to hear.. that Harry like Diana is a victim of the BRF...

I t hink that they are more inclined to call her "Duchess Meghan", Diana was caled Princess Diana because she was Princess of Wales.. so more informally Americans called her Princess Diana..

It does look a little awkward for "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" to be up their in 10 ft bright lights but it is technically his name.

I also still think it's completely disingenuous to complain about what a toxic, racist institution the Monarchy is and how everyone else is "trapped" and don't even know it and still use their titles at every opportunity, even though yes they're entitled to use them (sans HRH) and likely will remain so. But as even the Washington Post commented yesterday, it's their royal status that make them anything more than Mr and Mrs average Hollywood celebrities. And a "more glamourous, ambitious twist on the Fergie model".

https://archive.ph/uD1Dr

It does look a little awkward for "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" to be up their in 10 ft bright lights but it is technically his name.

That is technically his name in the UK and probably in the Commonwealth realms. I don't know what his legal name would be in the United States if he ever had a U.S. ID document or passport, but I assume it could not be "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex". I guess it would have to be Harry Mountbatten-Windsor, but I am not sure about that.

If Harry becomes a US permanent resident, I find it odd for him to continue to use titles that are not legally recognized in the United States. As some posters argued before though, a possible interpretation from an American perspective is that "Prince Harry, Duke of Susssex" is now Harry's "stage name", not unlike Queen Latifah or Lady Gaga, which he is free to use privately. Sorry for the comparison, which is not meant to be offensive, but it illustrates my point.

Last edited:
That is technically his name in the UK and probably in the Commonwealth realms. I don't know what his legal name would be in the United States if he ever had a U.S. ID document or passport, but I assume it could not be "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex". I guess it would have to be Harry Mountbatten-Windsor, but I am not sure about that.

If Harry becomes a US permanent resident, I find it odd for him to continue to use titles that are not legally recognized in the United States. As some posters argued before though, a possible interpretation from an American perspective is that "Prince Harry, Duke of Susssex" is now Harry's "stage name", not unlike Queen Latifah or Lady Gaga, which he is free to use privately. Sorry for the comparison, which is not meant to be offensive, but it illustrates my point.

It's my understanding that in the decree to the Privy Counsel that the Queen made in 1960 in regards to the Mountbatten-Windsor surname, it would be the surname of descendants that do not have a title *or* a surname is required by law. In the US, as foreign titles are not recognized, I would assume that Harry's legal US documents list him as Henry Mountbatten-Windsor and Meghan's would be Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor.

I have no idea whether the thought of becoming a US citizen has even entered Harry's head at this point but I would imagine that it would be quite the kerfluffle that when the time comes and Harry attends his father's coronation, that he couldn't or wouldn't swear his fealty to his father and country and state the oath. I sincerely doubt he'll ever give up his British citizenship.

What you've stated about Lady Gaga and Queen Latifah and Prince in the entertainment world is all to very well known and I've made that point before myself. Titles and styles are just not really something "special" to an American audience and they do not garner a person respect or deference because of having one. As a young tween, it was a treat to have a pajama party and stay up late and watch horror movies hosted by Sir Graves Ghastly and get the pants scared off of us. None of us thought the good man had a real title. :D

Jackie Kennedy Onassis's sister used to be known as Princess Lee Radziwill even after she'd divorced Prince Radziwill and remarried, and there must be other Americans who use titles, but it doesn't seem very appropriate for Harry to make a big deal of leaving the Royal Family, publicly criticise the Royal Family, and continue to use his royal titles.

The comparison with Queen Latifah and Lady Gaga made me laugh :) , but I don't think that their situations are really comparable. Maybe he could go as "the artist formerly known as Prince Harry" and change his name to a squiggle?

He was "Harry Wales" at school, William and Catherine's children are "George, Charlotte and Louis Cambridge" at school, and Beatrice uses "Beatrice York" for work, so "Harry Sussex" would be the obvious choice ... but it doesn't exactly have the same pulling power as "Prince" and "Duke".

Last edited:
Perhaps though if Harry were to apply for naturalization as a US citizen and renounce his British citizenship, that would be a reason for Parliament to remove his ducal titles as it could be considered "treason". He's gone over totally to the "other side" and that is a good definition of treason. The Queen then (or Charles) could take away the "prince" title easily. That would leave Henry Mountbatten-Windsor. ?

Then again, the press would have more words to use. As an example... "Henry Mountbatten-Windsor today opened the new 7-11 at the corner of Potter and Hedwig. Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor is the former Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and the King of the UK's son."

No matter how you slice it, Harry's stuck with who he is. :D

it is not "treason" to change one's citizenship.

An awful lot of people would be locked up in the Tower of London if changing your citizenship were to be considered treason! But, yes, even if he changes his name to John Smith, people will still be referring to him as "Prince Harry" ... but he could use a different name for non-royal work, like Beatrice does.

If the old Parliament laws are still enacted, it's possible that it could be argued that "defecting" to the US is a form of treason. :whistling:

I was being facetious anyways in that post. Not going to happen as the UK and US are allies. People are screaming all over the place that Harry's ducal titles should be revoked but it *would* take an act of treason for Parliament to actually do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titles_Deprivation_Act_1917

Oprah Winfrey spoke at The Drew Barrymore Show on CBS about the new mental health series with psychiatrist Dr Bruce D. Perry and Prince Harry. This new TV series will be aired on Apple TV starting from May this year.

A new TV collaboration between Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry is set to be released this month.

Winfrey spoke about the project on The Drew Barrymore Show on CBS, telling the actress and host they have been working on a "mental health series" which aims to help people live their "best lives possible".

Winfrey appeared on the show along with psychiatrist Dr Bruce D. Perry who has consulted on the project which is due out on Apple TV.

"I wanna just say that Dr Perry and I have been also, for the past two years, along with Prince Harry and Apple, we've been working on this mental health series that's coming out in May on Apple," she said.
Oprah announces Prince Harry TV project to be released this month
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/op...-release/e3925d2f-f474-45f8-b7e0-ba0cc560b9b6

It's my understanding that in the decree to the Privy Counsel that the Queen made in 1960 in regards to the Mountbatten-Windsor surname, it would be the surname of descendants that do not have a title *or* a surname is required by law. In the US, as foreign titles are not recognized, I would assume that Harry's legal US documents list him as Henry Mountbatten-Windsor and Meghan's would be Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor.
I agree regarding Harry; do we know for sure that Meghan officially changed her name (in the US) to Mountbatten-Windsor?

Oprah Winfrey spoke at The Drew Barrymore Show on CBS about the new mental health series with psychiatrist Dr Bruce D. Perry and Prince Harry. This new TV series will be aired on Apple TV starting from May this year.

Oprah announces Prince Harry TV project to be released this month
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/op...-release/e3925d2f-f474-45f8-b7e0-ba0cc560b9b6
'For the past two years', so that was 8-9 months before the Sussexes decided to leave the royal fold.

:previous: It'll be something I'm going to miss. I don't have and don't want Apple TV. If the message is important enough, it'll be on a channel where it's easily accessible for everyone that is interested in it is able to view it.

Sorry but the name "Prince Harry" doesn't make me want to access my bank account and pay out for it these days. I'm not an Oprah fan in the first place and the statement starting "I wanna" grated on my nerves. :D

'For the past two years', so that was 8-9 months before the Sussexes decided to leave the royal fold.

It well could be that Oprah and the good doctor started it two years ago and Harry was an "added attraction" as time passed.

Last edited:
Why on earth should Harry's titles be revoked? :ermm:

I honestly think the chances of his titles being revoked stand as good of a chance as a ice hockey game broadcasted from Hell on ESPN. I've just seen a lot of crapola around where people think that because he's followed his own path and decided to make his own way in the US, his titles should be stripped by the Queen. It's just way more involved than the Queen deciding on this. ;)

Well of course it is a silly thing to say but it was said to emphasize that Mean Old Dad wouldn't help him, and his good mother DID think of him and leave him money so he could escape from the nasty old BRF...
That is what they feel American admirers want to hear.. that Harry like Diana is a victim of the BRF...

Exactly. Harry seems to care only about his mother, certainly based on what he says publicly. He’s Diana’s son -period. That goes over very well with a segment of America.

Osipi brought up Charles’ coronation. If things have not markedly changed by then, I certainly don’t want H to attend. As far as his being an American citizen, boy, to me that would open up Pandora’s Box.

I also still think it's completely disingenuous to complain about what a toxic, racist institution the Monarchy is and how everyone else is "trapped" and don't even know it and still use their titles at every opportunity, even though yes they're entitled to use them (sans HRH) and likely will remain so. But as even the Washington Post commented yesterday, it's their royal status that make them anything more than Mr and Mrs average Hollywood celebrities. And a "more glamourous, ambitious twist on the Fergie model".

https://archive.ph/uD1Dr

Agreed. It’s his name. He was treated the same as everyone else at this event. And it was for a good cause. It might have looked a bit odd (I didn’t see it.), but it is what it is.

I read that article in the Post. It is all about their royal status. Just like- on a much smaller level- it was for Fergie.

I completely agree: I find it deeply distasteful that they dragged their family and their family business under the bus, yet it is what has and will make them money. (And they’ve made it perfectly clear how deeply important their titles and styles are to them too, despite all the public criticism .) It’s them being royal. No one cares about Meghan Markle or Harry Mountbatten Windsor. They aren’t earning a living off, say, their skills as an engineer or a doctor.

In the UK he wouldn't be introduced like this; he would be HRH The Duke of Sussex; they wouldn't combine the 'prince Harry' and 'Duke of Sussex' (without 'the'!). Given that he is not supposed to use HRH; using his highest title would mean being introduced as 'The Duke of Sussex' without a first name or prince; however, I guess both Harry and Meghan prefer to have their first name attached to it for recognition purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom