The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a majority of Americans, Meghan can’t tell the difference between celebrity and Royalty. It’s been pointed out be many royal commentators, so I’m sure that she’s aware of the difference. However her subconscious is not allowing her to accept it. That’s why she (and I concentrating just on her because I think Harry’s just an empty vessel) was shocked and stunned when greater ratings did not equal to a higher place in the pecking order.

I think this is likely true. Meghan, as a child, persuaded a huge company to change some of their commercials, so perhaps she’s had a sense ever since that she could affect change through her own efforts. If so, it is admirable - most people, including me, sit back and do little. Unfortunately for her, she’s up against a 1000 year old institution - it knows how to survive. Change is possible - we’ve seen Primogeniture go by the wayside - M seemed to actively dislike the Institution.

I am positive his sentiments are genuine. I just question what he can concretely do for anyone or any cause from the position he is in now. He can’t donate money He can’t jet around and meet with activists and heads of environmental concerns. Heart and soul if very but you need to be able to produce results. A senior prince can do this .

That's why he is looking for a sponsor, I am sure his meeting with that benefactress had something to do with this.

IMHO, that is it in a nutshell!!!

But those aren't really legit complaints. They can't expect to be treated the same as Will and K because Will is a future King....and they can't do "just as they like" because no-one can...Will and Kate don't get to do "just as they like". Neither does anyone in the RF...

Last edited:
Neither does anyone else, for that matter. How many people just get to do as they like at work? Even if you're the boss, you're constrained by what customers want.

Neither does anyone else, for that matter. How many people just get to do as they like at work? Even if you're the boss, you're constrained by what customers want.

Exactly.. Admittedly the richer you are the better chances you have. But Will and K might like a more private life with no royal duties. But they can't have that. Harry and Meghan seem to have wanted to do whatever duties they wanted to do, to speak about politics if they took the fancy, to live abroad a lot of the time. You can't be a senior royal and do that. but I DID get the feeling that whatever compromises were offered in the year or 2 of their royal life.. if the queen did make suggestions for them to have some time off etc, if it wasn't what THEY wanted, i.e. living abroad, making money, doing interviews as they chose, speaking about politics if they chose, they weren't going to agree with the compromises.

Oh brother, if this is true...sigh. Hypocrisy, thy name is Sussex. Let me guess, there will be an update on the interview, subsequent “unproductive” talks, funeral and “summit” talks? I can see it now - flower-gate in all the gory details, and an expose on Harry’s “private” conversations with Charles, William and Kate, designed to let everyone know how hard H had tried, but everyone was so mean to him (including the rest of BRF at funeral)

[/QUOTE]

Edit: yep, it’s true, and I was right. Good grief...

*Senior Royal sources weren’t there, so they shouldn’t be dismissing this “summit” between C, W, H and Kate, which I believe did happen.

Finding Freedom, a flattering biography of Harry and Meghan, giving their account of their departure from royal life via friends and Sussex sources, is being updated with new chapters. They will cover their interview with Oprah Winfrey, allegations against Meghan over the bullying of royal staff, which she denies, and Prince Philip’s death.

The updated edition is also expected to take in their new life in America, their multimillion-pound deals with Netflix and Spotify and the Queen’s decision to strip them of all royal patronages earlier this year. Harry is understood to remain devastated by the loss of his military roles.

The book will be reissued on August 5 and is likely to exacerbate tensions between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family, particularly between Harry and William. A senior courtier said: “The Oprah interview detonated a bomb under the royal family and most of them are still reeling in shock. The book will not help.” Another senior royal source said: “After Oprah, what else is there to say?”

Despite Harry’s brief reunion with the royal family last weekend for Prince Philip’s funeral, relations remain at a low ebb. William and Harry did not walk next to each other in the procession, though the brothers were seen talking as they walked back to Windsor Castle after the service. Senior royal sources have dismissed suggestions of a separate meeting between Harry, William and Charles, who retreated to Wales after the funeral without seeing his son again. Harry returned to America last Tuesday, before the Queen’s birthday on Wednesday.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ex-hagiography-gets-a-summer-update-whwjv5g32

The more I read all these stories with regards Finding Freedom, the friends speaking about e mail trails and evidence, it becomes more and more like a form of extortion.
They are letting the family know publicly that they have more to say , give us what we want or else there is more to come. Which is strange because they wanted out, they are out but continually want linked to the family, wreathgate a prime example of that.
I am not sure if they are doing themselves any favours with this plan, I don't think they are looking particularly professional with this behaviour. If anything they are looking childish.

As for the pecking order within the family, this was not new to Harry he knows how it works and being successful at the ' job ' does not jump you up the ladder.

He was a senior member of the family , yes only sixth in line but three young children between him and William, so a very important role to play.

Did Princess Anne and another example the Duke of Gloucester, who were both very near the throne a number of years ago, go on to the television and moan about going down the line of succession as more children were born.
No they got on with the job.

Did Princess Anne and another example the Duke of Gloucester, who were both very near the throne a number of years ago, go on to the television and moan about going down the line of succession as more children were born.

that's why i could imagine P.Anne is particularly 'not amused' by Harry.. not only because she is all about duty and 'never complain never explain', but also what Harry is basically doing is making clear that *her* role in life is not good enough for *him*..

my 2cts as always..

Oh brother, if this is true...sigh. Hypocrisy, thy name is Sussex. Let me guess, there will be an update on the interview, subsequent “unproductive” talks, funeral and “summit” talks? I can see it now - flower-gate in all the gory details, and an expose on Harry’s “private” conversations with Charles, William and Kate, designed to let everyone know how hard H had tried, but everyone was so mean to him (including the rest of BRF at funeral)

*Senior Royal sources weren’t there, so they shouldn’t be dismissing this “summit” between C, W, H and Kate, which I believe did happen.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ex-hagiography-gets-a-summer-update-whwjv5g32

This is the reason why I think the BRF really should cut off H&M completely. If they did just that, H&M would eventually ran out of things to talk about in the media regarding the royals.

I know you didn’t ask me, but as an American, I can help a little.

Oprah is not a serious journalist. Never has been. She is a highly successful self made talk show host. Who I had a lot more respect for prior to her going off about “your truth” and this interview which was full of lies and misleading statements. (I really liked it when Meghan made it sound like she was practically a prisoner. She sure got around a lot in a short period for a trapped person....)

Had this interview been done by an actual journalist, this would have been very different because they’re held to higher standards. I believe CBS (?) said as much in the aftermath when their lies started trickling out.

Thank you.
Well, she obviously isn't a serious journalist , I did not google if she ever had been at university but guess she is a social climber in this matter, not to be blamed for.
I still wonder if there is a general lack of discussion about her "qualities" or if she simply blocks all criticism.
But there are more important issues if course:D

FYI
African Parks and the man behind it, are a highly controversial thing, being watched with a healthy load of superstition by professionals in this sector.

https://www.cabi.org/leisuretourism/news/14769

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read all these stories with regards Finding Freedom, the friends speaking about e mail trails and evidence, it becomes more and more like a form of extortion.
They are letting the family know publicly that they have more to say , give us what we want or else there is more to come. Which is strange because they wanted out, they are out but continually want linked to the family, wreathgate a prime example of that.
I am not sure if they are doing themselves any favours with this plan, I don't think they are looking particularly professional with this behaviour. If anything they are looking childish.

As for the pecking order within the family, this was not new to Harry he knows how it works and being successful at the ' job ' does not jump you up the ladder.

He was a senior member of the family , yes only sixth in line but three young children between him and William, so a very important role to play.

They do seem to be holding threats over the family.

But how is this going to work? "The family were so trapped and toxic and miserable that we had to leave!"

But we want all the perks and for them to pay out security and come back for royal events and want titles for our children even though Harry can't stop talking about his miserable childhood and it's even more ridiculous now the kids will be raised as Americans!"

They will just end up sounding even more ridiculous and incongruent and even if you dress it up in security concerns. It becomes obvious that that's not the case. They chose to leave and start a new life but can't stop talking about the BRF. It's the goose that lays their golden egg. Quitting any job doesn't work like that, even family businesses. And it just makes me think they're still the farthest thing from happy and at peace with their decision.

No one else publicly moans about it. They just get on with it and gripe privately if it frustrates them. They take the good parts and deal with the bad. Princess Anne is now getting recognised as a very hard worker and lives her private and family life as she pleases.

But the more they threaten and spill details the less the family are going to trust them and want to find a viable solution for the issue. No one likes being threatened or potentially blackmailed into giving money/position/perks and there's no guarantee it would stop if they did.

"Harry and Meghan come to Trooping and do a few engagements with their private patronages!" Watch Oprah and see how they feel about it all, their private chats with HM their biggest supporter, the cold shoulder from Kate, chilliness from Charles and how the Cambridge Kids are being raised compared to Archie and Artemis!"

I believed at the time, and still do, that FF actually made H and M look bad; this sounds like it will be worse, because most decent people are going to think poorly about them spilling the beans about the funeral of a very loved and respected Philip. The BRF is always going to grieve the loss of this man, and now H and M are going to exploit that grief, and I find that disgusting.

I am concerned about the racial accusations - this updated edition will likely give details- and even though I seriously doubt that IF a comment were made, that it was truly racist, people ARE going to believe it. The Oprah interview did what is called priming the pump...it’s set the stage for more to come. More details about the lack of support while M felt suicidal...

Ultimately, this might be the nail in the coffin for H and his relationships with his “family”. I can not see them forgiving this. I feel so sorry for Charles, who probably is going to be most attacked.

This is the reason why I think the BRF really should cut off H&M completely. If they did just that, H&M would eventually ran out of things to talk about in the media regarding the royals.

I think they might have to now.....this is a terrible blow to Charles and William

Last edited by a moderator:
What will happen in July for the unveiling of the statue.
Will and Harry will probably meet, they'll exchange polite conversatin and unveil the statue. I just dont think that William will ever trust his brother for a LONG LONG time with anyting deep or meaningful.. It will be superficial talk about the family....

I said in an earlier post that all this makes Meghan and Harry childish and non professional, I also wonder how potential business associates will perceive a couple that will reveal private conversations for publicity and pay back.

Last edited:

I'm actually very surprised that Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand decided to go down that route. :eek: :ermm: :ohmy:

Is Omid Scobie that naive or just out of touch to not realise that Finding Freedom made Harry & Meghan look bad? Or completely oblivious that the Oprah interview deteriorated the Sussex's popularity in Britain? Or is he gravitating towards US audience (more specifically Celebrity & Hollywood) rather the UK?

To suggest that the new chapters of Finding Freedom would open up cans of worms is an understatement. In my honest opinion, this new addition will make Harry & Meghan appear more resentful (or even childish and self-centred), who continues to hold grudges and disparage The Royal Family (accusing them of toxic, male, frail, pale and stale). It certainly is not doing the Sussexes any favour if they actually want to move on from their past, not just as working royals, but also their mistakes and low-point.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Well, she obviously isn't a serious journalist , I did not google if she ever had been at university but guess she is a social climber in this matter, not to be blamed for.
I still wonder if there is a general lack of discussion about her "qualities" or if she simply blocks all criticism.
But there are more important issues if course:D

I can't imageine anyone would take her for a serious journalist.. she's a talk show host.. and her "scoops" are getting famous people to talk to her and possibly about personal issues. She didn't challenge the pair at all just agreed iwht them that all their experinces in the RF were terrible, racist etc etc.. and did not even try to clarify the context of what they said, tho much of it was pretty muddled.

I said in an earlier post that all this makes Meghan and Harry childish and non professional, I also wonder how potential business associates will perceive a couple that will reveal private conversations for publicity and pay back.

The name of the game is instant gratification. They want to gorge on the gooey frosting of fame but they're forgetting for it to endure, they have to first bake a cake in layers in order for it to feed them for the rest of their lives. It's all about "right now" with them and they have no thought of what this will do to their image and their "brand".

I'm sure that the word going out about new chapters of the book will have reached the ears of Harry's family and that'll not only have them shut them out but lock the doors. Oh they'll put on a good "game face" for the unveiling of the Diana statue but I'm going to predict that it'll just be Harry there as Meghan will remain home with the newborn and that'll be reason for Harry to do a quick in and out.

I'm actually very surprised that Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand decided to go down that route. :eek: :ermm: :ohmy:

Is Omid Scobie that naive or just out of touch to not realise that Finding Freedom made Harry & Meghan look bad? Or completely oblivious that the Oprah interview deteriorated the Sussex's popularity in Britain? Or is he gravitating towards US audience (more specifically Celebrity & Hollywood) rather the UK?

To suggest that the new chapters of Finding Freedom would open up cans of worms is an understatement. In my honest opinion, this new addition will make Harry & Meghan appear more resentful (or even childish and self-centred), who continues to hold grudges and disparage The Royal Family (accusing them of toxic, male, frail, pale and stale). It certainly is not doing the Sussexes any favour if they actually want to move on from their past, not just as working royals, but also their mistakes and low-point.

To be far not everyone takes the view that ff made then look bad. And for scobie it is about money. The book will sell more copies

Omid updating his little book was expected. It came out as all the real drama went down. It really has little to do with H&M, but more his publisher wanting to capitalize on the current saga.

It reminds me of many of the books written about Harry suddenly being updated with chapters about Meghan. Or any of the royals with a major new moment in their lives.

This one will just grab more headlines.

If Meghan (and maybe Harry) hadn't cooperated with Omid in writing FF, him updating it wouldn't be terribly noteworthy, because he'd just be doing it of his own accord. But it came out in her lawsuit that she did cooperate with him, despite both Meghan and Omid having denied it previously. I think it's fair to assume that she'll cooperate with the update as well. Even if she doesn't, no one with an ounce of sense - namely, Harry's family - will believe them when they deny it.

Do they have any kind of long-term plan here? I don't think they held much back in the Oprah interview, and repeating the same allegations over and over and over isn't going to continue to generate the same level of media interest if they're still doing it years from now. If they name the person who made the supposedly-racist comment or produce the email "receipts," that might get them a bit of interest, but it will be a one-off. They've said what they have to say about their time with the royals, and at the rate they're going, they're not going to have any more time with the royals to write about. "My brother said 'Good morning' right before we unveiled the statue" isn't going to sell newspapers. Neither is "I flew in the night before my grandmother's funeral, stayed at a hotel, left immediately after the ceremony, and didn't speak to anyone." That's all it's going to be, and that's sad.

If Meghan (and maybe Harry) hadn't cooperated with Omid in writing FF, him updating it wouldn't be terribly noteworthy, because he'd just be doing it of his own accord. But it came out i They've said what they have to say about their time with the royals, and at the rate they're going, they're not going to have any more time with the royals to write about. "My brother said 'Good morning' right before we unveiled the statue" isn't going to sell newspapers. Neither is "I flew in the night before my grandmother's funeral, stayed at a hotel, left immediately after the ceremony, and didn't speak to anyone." That's all it's going to be, and that's sad.

I think they'll be able to drag things out quite a bit.. Look how many years certain people have traded on a connection with a certain royal.. Tehy will spin new stories, refer to things that happened years ago etc etc. truth is that a lot of those who watch these shows aren't very critical minded and wont notice discrepancies.. Eventually yes I think interest will run out, but it may take a few years.
I dont know what they'll do when the interest in "interviwing H and Meghan " does run out with the American public but we'll see.....

Meghan nor Harry “cooperated” with Omid. What they did was didn’t block anyone from speaking to him. That was in the lawsuit. Omid himself has confirmed more than once he had never spoken to them in that way. He is not their friend. He does not know them. In fact plenty of details in his book was wrong. He is no different than the other correspondents who go to people familiar with royals and write book. The only difference is he doesn’t attack the Sussexes which apparently is a sin. But make no mistake is it just the other side of the same coin.

Harry and Meghan did their interview. People have various opinions on it but that’s over. We haven’t heard anything else. They said their piece and kept it moving and I’m glad.

Looking forward to hearing more news of their work instead of this constant fixation of imaginary scenarios and merry go round conversations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ex-hagiography-gets-a-summer-update-whwjv5g32[/QUOTE]

If anyone can post an archive of this, I’d appreciate it! This is behind a paywall. Thanks so much! ?

Meghan nor Harry “cooperated” with Omid. What they did was didn’t block anyone from speaking to him. That was in the lawsuit. Omid himself has confirmed more than once he had never spoken to them in that way. He is not their friend. He does not know them. In fact plenty of details in his book was wrong. He is no different than the other correspondents who go to people familiar with royals and write book. The only difference is he doesn’t attack the Sussexes which apparently is a sin. But make no mistake is it just the other side of the same coin.

Harry and Meghan did their interview. People have various opinions on it but that’s over. We haven’t heard anything else. They said their piece and kept it moving and I’m glad.

Looking forward to hearing more news of their work instead of this constant fixation of imaginary scenarios and merry go round conversations.

That sounds like a cooperation to me.

Meghan nor Harry “cooperated” with Omid. What they did was didn’t block anyone from speaking to him. That was in the lawsuit. Omid himself has confirmed more than once he had never spoken to them in that way.

She didn't just decline to order her friends not to speak with him. She specifically instructed at least one friend to tell him certain things so that he would print her version of events. She also declined to say whether she'd authorized members of her press team to cooperate. Her doing the same thing again is very much "news of their work," even if it's not work that most people like.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-giving-personal-information-authors-finding/

https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/nABH23

https://pagesix.com/2020/11/18/megh...sonal-information-to-finding-freedom-authors/

Yes, she technically never spoke to him. And Diana technically never spoke to the journalist to whom she passed tapes of herself saying things she wanted printed. IIRC, it's not clear whether Harry was involved at all, or whether he even knew it was happening. One would hope she'd run something like that past him before doing it, but one never knows. I don't know how much benefit of the doubt his family gave him for that the first time around, but he's not going to get any the second time.

I would like to hear more of their work but that isn't what we are hearing.
Secondly how do you know details in the book were wrong and if they were why did Meghan not correct them or sue the authors.

This is an excellent point! If I were an executive with Netflix or Spotify I would be leery of having private negotiations become public. Wow, for two people who want “privacy” this is really something to update a book like this. But I’ve always felt that it wasn’t privacy they really want but the ability to control their own narrative.

I read the actual court documents. I don’t need summaries, but thanks. I’ll stick to what I said. She was approached by a friend who has been contacted for opinion on her dad. She didn’t block it. And frankly since the letter was already in the public domain, why would she really care other than sue the publication? Which she did — and won.

I would like to hear more of their work but that isn't what we are hearing.
Secondly how do you know details in the book were wrong and if they were why did Meghan not correct them or sue the authors.

Well for one in the court documents the book was referenced quite a bit and was stated as having inaccurate information. Also just things in general coming out over time. Heck even in his book he stated “no one cried.”

Meghan and Harry have only sued over the letter and over Archie. That’s it. Not sure why people constantly ask “why don’t they sue?” When have they over an article or a book (and there are plenty out!) or a rumor? They haven’t. But they will over their son and rightfully so.

Anyways I have no interest in going into this never ending debate. No opinion will change. My point was this book update ain’t new. It was expected. They likely were working on the moment they officially walked away since it all happened after they wrote it and so much had happened since.

Us posting on these forums talking about it nonstop is not Harry and Meghan. They haven’t said anything in weeks and before the interview... not at all. They very likely will go back to that stance despite our fixation.

And I doubt Netflix or Spotify are worried since, unlike us, they understand the ways the media works and actually talk to the Sussexes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom