The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The racism comment is obviously more serious, but it’s the same idea: it was only worth talking about on Oprah. They never addressed whatever was said to the individual. Apparently it was only worth talking about to a worldwide audience when they could blanket the whole family with it.

Let's face it. Meghan's going to Oprah to air her complaints about her "journey" with her "truths" worked as well as Meghan going to HR to get them to set her up somewhere far, far away for mental health treatment.

Talk about taking the wrong fork in the road for things.... sheeesh! :D

I think Scobie is forgetting there’s another, very viable alternative, which is that nothing gets resolved. Charles and William continue to believe The Sussexes can’t be trusted and have guarded and superficial interactions with Harry and none at all with Meghan from here on. The Sussexes are told that further discussion regarding their list of grievances is unlikely to be helpful. The BRF carries on as it sees fit and Harry and Meghan can do the same.

Some people seem to be living in this fantasy world where Harry and Meghan are Lionel Messi and the BRF is Barcelona, where they can do or say anything and the team will come crawling, begging to keep them on any terms. Whereas what’s actually happened is that Harry and Meghan said they were leaving, the BRF said “ok, bye” and then stood their ground, including when the couple went for broke on Oprah. The rift is sad on a personal level but the RF didn’t lose anything irreplaceable when The Sussexes left and it hasn’t been irreparably damaged by any of their claims, no matter how many times it’s stated as fact by those with their own personal or political agendas.

I mean, a father and son have lost a son and brother, so that is huge. That said, despite breathless claims by Robert Lacey and Anna Pasternak, the BRF as a working family have moved on without skipping a beat, like you said.

I’ll be honest, I’m glad that Charles and William didn’t just cave to Harry in order to heal ...As much as I’m sure Charles wants the family to reconcile, it can’t be at the expense of their own feelings via conceding Harry was correct in his accusations. I think seeing each other at the funeral was a good chance for them to be open and honest, to clear up any miscommunication and misunderstandings. But the two “sides” are far apart, and I expect it will remain that way for awhile.

Harry certainly expressed his own grievances in that interview--he seemed to indicate he had unresolved issues (not just security) with his father. I would not say it is all about her. Also, I do think that they are worried also about security for their son and the daughter born during the Summer.

However I don't know why Prince Harry believes that his father has any say or control over the security that the BRF members receive. Those decisions are rightfully made by two neutral parties: The Home Office and the Metropolitan Police. The BRF are certainly too emotionally involved to make those decisions on who receive full or part time security.

The Sussexes could have chosen to remain in the UK where their full time security would have been provided for the the adults and electronic security was already in place for their home.

I know you didn’t ask me, but as an American, I can help a little.

Oprah is not a serious journalist. Never has been. She is a highly successful self made talk show host. Who I had a lot more respect for prior to her going off about “your truth” and this interview which was full of lies and misleading statements. (I really liked it when Meghan made it sound like she was practically a prisoner. She sure got around a lot in a short period for a trapped person....)

Had this interview been done by an actual journalist, this would have been very different because they’re held to higher standards. I believe CBS (?) said as much in the aftermath when their lies started trickling out.
Also as an American, I think this is a very accurate assessment of Oprah. I’ve certainly lost a great deal of respect for her.

Please check out soapstar's post here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ents-4-april-2021-a-48523-75.html#post2394175
Apparently it was confirmed that the details were released by the Sussexes' Global Press Secretary. Whoever that is.

In other news, barely a week after Prince Philip's funeral, we have Scobie doing his thing:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ex-latest-prince-harry-royal-family-update-vn
Most interesting quotes include:
I don't know how this is supposed to help. And how anything is supposed to be addressed if Harry's talks with William and Charles did not go well.

Of course people who behave as Meghan appears to be behaving would insist that their "journey" be acknowledged.

Do you get Coronation Street in America? Britain's most famous soap opera, been going since 1960. A character recently solemnly told two other characters that they each needed to "tell your truth", and a fourth character overheard and burst out laughing. That's what Harry and Meghan are here now - a laughing stock. And it's a shame, because they had the chance to do a lot of good.

I'm quite late to the discussion. On the aftermath of the Oprah's interview, some Sussex critics described it as The Jeremy Kyle Show, because of the family drama live on aired. The Jeremy Kyle Show is described as a British tabloid talk show, which is worse in reputation (or even "lower brow") than Coronation St. Some people also suggested that Harry & Meghan should be taking the lie detector (polygraphic) test, given the amount of inaccuracy, invalidity or even lies that were stated in the interview.

I agree with previous posters that Oprah is not a serious journalist, but more a celebrity talk show host. Andrew Neil and Jeremy Paxman would probably not let Harry & Meghan get away with such accusations, given that these two journalists would have done extensive research and challenge the Sussexes on every counts.

As for how the story as played out in the U.S.- it was definitely 'water cooler' talk the week after. I expected most people to side with the Sussexes, but actually, I was surprised that though many people believed Meghan was a victim of racism by family members, a lot were critical of Harry's "they cut me off!" part of the conversation. But many people I work with are Harry's age, so of course, they found it hilarious to complain that you were left adrift with million-dollar trust funds.

Meghan was, at least among the people who talked to me, also criticized for her story saying that Kate made her cry. A lot of people saw that as her trying to slander Kate. More than I thought would. I do think that was a miscalculation.

No one cared about the private wedding falsity, one way or the other. No one really cared about security either- we are used to celebrities paying for their own private security. No one understood the HRH title issue. A lot of people think Prince Charles is the person who asked about Archie's future skin color, though a few think it was Camilla. (Again, this is just what people were saying to me. This isn't what I think or feel.)

Overall, I think most Americans will always be interested in Harry. I thought the interview would catapult Meghan more into the limelight, but I'm not sure it did.

What would be the point?

The other poster’s theory requires us to make the leap that some low level person at the florist got in touch with one of Meghan’s known mouthpieces and he ran with it without checking if Meghan wanted the information out there...

The other poster’s theory requires us to make the leap that some low level person at the florist got in touch with one of Meghan’s known mouthpieces and he ran with it without checking if Meghan wanted the information out there...
Yes i know but I dbout if anyone would get paid much for a story like that, and it would run the risk of losing one's job...\The only person who had an interest in putting the story out was MEghan

To me it seemed that the thing that truly bothered Harry was his father not returning calls.

As for how the story as played out in the U.S.- it was definitely 'water cooler' talk the week after. I expected most people to side with the Sussexes, but actually, I was surprised that though many people believed Meghan was a victim of racism by family members, a lot were critical of Harry's "they cut me off!" part of the conversation. But many people I work with are Harry's age, so of course, they found it hilarious to complain that you were left adrift with million-dollar trust funds.

Meghan was, at least among the people who talked to me, also criticized for her story saying that Kate made her cry. A lot of people saw that as her trying to slander Kate. More than I thought would. I do think that was a miscalculation.

No one cared about the private wedding falsity, one way or the other. No one really cared about security either- we are used to celebrities paying for their own private security. No one understood the HRH title issue. A lot of people think Prince Charles is the person who asked about Archie's future skin color, though a few think it was Camilla. (Again, this is just what people were saying to me. This isn't what I think or feel.)

Overall, I think most Americans will always be interested in Harry. I thought the interview would catapult Meghan more into the limelight, but I'm not sure it did.

It’s interesting that you talk about take aways. There were some discussions here right after the interview. Someone I know said Meghan came off as a narcissist. So, needless to say, not sympathetic to her. No one I know was impressed with taking private issues public- and that colored perceptions of everything they said. But- it also wasn’t a huge talking point either.

I think you’re right about Meghan. I don’t think it did catapult her into the limelight much here. I think Harry will always be the one people are more interested in here. Maybe if Meghan had stuck around longer. But- she didn’t. And at the moment she’s probably best known for...quitting and complaining.

Even now- the media is mostly talking about reconciliation between Harry and his family. It actually isn’t about her.

It would be easier for me to acknowledge that the Meghan and Harry are not completely at fault if they took responsibility for anything. I have heard nothing about that interview or subsequent reports that indicate that the Sussexes acknowledge that they are not perfect either. I keep going back to the fact that they blamed the palace human resources department because Harry didn't arrange for his wife to get mental health care.

Whatever we think about the policy, the royal family rarely issues denials and that was explained to Meghan. We know there have been many ugly stories about the family that have not been denied.

Moreover, I don't think the silly article was that really that important to Meghan and she is changing the story to better fit her narrative. If she was really upset at the time, she could have sent her friends to the media (as she was doing with her family's statements) or released her own statement. She also could have corrected the record when cooperating with Finding Freedom. The fact that she didn't do any of that speaks volumes in my opinion.

That said, I am sure Harry and Meghan have legitimate complaints, although I haven't heard any. No one is perfect and I doubt the other members of the family are without fault. None of that justifies publicly embarrassing your family.

I’ve long thought that their only legitimate complaints were that they weren’t treated at the same level as William and Kate and more importantly, they weren’t allowed to do what they wanted to do, when and how they wanted to do it.

To me it seemed that the thing that truly bothered Harry was his father not returning calls.

And giving in to their demands regarding funding, security, titles, publicly denying every story they believed was negative etc....Truly their initial statement on Sussex Royal issued in January 2020 plus the interview is a lengthy shopping list of what they believed they were owed and subsequently denied by the monarch, the British Government and namely Charles.

Last edited:
I’ve long thought that their only legitimate complaints were that they weren’t treated at the same level as William and Kate and more importantly, they weren’t allowed to do what they wanted to do, when and how they wanted to do it.

I agree that was a huge part of it but I don't think those are legitimate complaints. A legitimate complaint may be that William or Catherine did not make an effort to develop a good relationship with Meghan - as compared to the effort Harry may have made for Catherine. It depends on point of view, obviously, but what if William and Catherine were dismissive or rude to Meghan (I don't think so because we would have heard about it) but it is possible.

Another possible legitimate complaint was that the royal family could have responded to real racist comments. I understand why the family didn't, but there are legitimate arguments on both sides (which is why sometimes you have to agree to disagree). Perhaps some people in the family was not as sensitive as they could have been.

It's also possible that they have some legitimate complaints about how they were treated in private - family dinners, gifts, money, etc. There are a million things that can cause disagreements within the family. I don't think any of them merit taking the fight to the public, but I'm sure the family didn't handle things perfectly.

I think you’re right about Meghan. I don’t think it did catapult her into the limelight much here. I think Harry will always be the one people are more interested in here. Maybe if Meghan had stuck around longer. But- she didn’t. And at the moment she’s probably best known for...quitting and complaining.

Even now- the media is mostly talking about reconciliation between Harry and his family. It actually isn’t about her.

This is something that just struck a chord with me - as much as, in this current moment, we're in a "speak my truth" moment, Americans generally don't have much use for quitters. Meghan cut and run instead of trying harder and, in the long run, once we've move out of this "my truth/my journey" mentality dominating so much of our narrative right now, I don't think that it will serve her brand well. What's that saying? "No one likes a quitter."

The BRF will, just like time, march on. Meghan is a blip on the thousand-year history of the monarchy in Great Britain. That's why the media cares about Harry. Meghan is going to have to accept that she will never be top draw or we'll soon find her "quitting" Harry. :whistling:

ETA - I'm not sure the Brits care for quitters much more than Americans - there's something to be said of the "oh, do just get on with it" attitude that is rather similar in outlook.

Last edited:
I think Scobie is forgetting there’s another, very viable alternative, which is that nothing gets resolved. Charles and William continue to believe The Sussexes can’t be trusted and have guarded and superficial interactions with Harry and none at all with Meghan from here on. The Sussexes are told that further discussion regarding their list of grievances is unlikely to be helpful. The BRF carries on as it sees fit and Harry and Meghan can do the same.

Some people seem to be living in this fantasy world where Harry and Meghan are Lionel Messi and the BRF is Barcelona, where they can do or say anything and the team will come crawling, begging to keep them on any terms. Whereas what’s actually happened is that Harry and Meghan said they were leaving, the BRF said “ok, bye” and then stood their ground, including when the couple went for broke on Oprah. The rift is sad on a personal level but the RF didn’t lose anything irreplaceable when The Sussexes left and it hasn’t been irreparably damaged by any of their claims, no matter how many times it’s stated as fact by those with their own personal or political agendas.

I think this is the most likely outcome. Harry crossed the Rubicon by giving that interview.

Meghan and Harry both left it was not as if she left by herself. I don't think Meghan and Harry will divorce. She and Harry will stay together. IMO. If Harry wanted to stay and he was satisfied and did not love Meghan and she did not "really" love him, she would have left by herself. I think the tipping point was when their child was likened to a chimp. Harry had his own grievances before he dated Meghan and he and his brother did not always get along. I think their leaving has ramifications for future "spares" who may want to make their own way and live outside the firm. I see that as a big impact.

IMHO, that is it in a nutshell!!!

Also as an American, I think this is a very accurate assessment of Oprah. I’ve certainly lost a great deal of respect for her.

I mean, let's face it - for one thing, Oprah is friends/friendly with Harry and Meghan; did anyone think this was going to be an objective interview? For another, I'm pretty sure her goal - as it always is - to bring out the emotions in her interviewees. She was going for the drama........I mean, what serious journalist provides a running gag meme by going "whaaaaaaaaaat?"? I believe she was genuinely surprised, but a serious journalist wouldn't have reacted like a cartoon character.........

This is the kind of thing I feared. Charles is already intensely hated (to the degree that anyone in America cares about Royals, which isn't that many given our population), so is Camilla......and in the UK, it made things very much worse for him. It's really disgusting and unforgiveable, honestly...

I do have to disagree that "most" Americans will be interested in Harry. Most Americans, IMO, really don't give a hoot about Harry or the BRF. Sure, a few million will watch when there's a wedding or a big deal event that networks cover, but overall, Americans just don't care; Harry isn't particularly special.

I don't even think they're legitimate..... William is the future King, so of course he's got more "power" and "influence"........and I don't think that just because Harry and Meghan wanted something that it means they should have it. What they asked for (a separate Court, half-in/half-out, etc..) was, IMO unreasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even think they're legitimate..... William is the future King, so of course he's got more "power" and "influence"........and I don't think that just because Harry and Meghan wanted something that it means they should have it. What they asked for (a separate Court, half-in/half-out, etc..) was, IMO unreasonable.
Betsypaige, I agree! Somehow I managed to miss the word “legitimate.” Their grievances aren’t legitimate- but I think pre- Meghan, Harry was used to being popular with British people. Perhaps that translated to them both thinking they would be and should be treated as William and Kate.

I don’t think they were necessarily more legitimate- as in deserved- complaints. They were always going to be of lesser importance than William and Catherine. And in no business do you just get to do whatever you want. But- I think they’re maybe the most accurate complaints, if that makes sense. As in I believe those were real issues.

This is something that just struck a chord with me - as much as, in this current moment, we're in a "speak my truth" moment, Americans generally don't have much use for quitters. Meghan cut and run instead of trying harder and, in the long run, once we've move out of this "my truth/my journey" mentality dominating so much of our narrative right now, I don't think that it will serve her brand well. What's that saying? "No one likes a quitter."

The BRF will, just like time, march on. Meghan is a blip on the thousand-year history of the monarchy in Great Britain. That's why the media cares about Harry. Meghan is going to have to accept that she will never be top draw or we'll soon find her "quitting" Harry. :whistling:

ETA - I'm not sure the Brits care for quitters much more than Americans - there's something to be said of the "oh, do just get on with it" attitude that is rather similar in outlook.

Agreed. I don’t think being branded as a quitter will serve her well in the long run.

I think the mistake Meghan made IMO is not really establishing herself before walking. She’s not really known for anything but this. Harry is. Diana was also known for much more than the Charles split/interview.

This is the kind of thing I feared. Charles is already intensely hated (to the degree that anyone in America cares about Royals, which isn't that many given our population), so is Camilla......and in the UK, it made things very much worse for him. It's really disgusting and unforgiveable, honestly...

I do have to disagree that "most" Americans will be interested in Harry. Most Americans, IMO, really don't give a hoot about Harry or the BRF. Sure, a few million will watch when there's a wedding or a big deal event that networks cover, but overall, Americans just don't care; Harry isn't particularly special.

I do feel for Charles. He seems to just take so many hits. Now from his own son. Sadly- I imagine he now knows how Philip and HM felt.

Most Americans don’t care that much about any of this, agreed. Mostly it’s just the big events- weddings, funerals, etc. But I think there will be some interest in Harry always.

Betsypaige, I agree! Somehow I managed to miss the word “legitimate.” Their grievances aren’t legitimate- but I think pre- Meghan, Harry was used to being popular with British people. Perhaps that translated to them both thinking they would be and should be treated as William and Kate.

I think probably they did expect perhaps that their popularity would put pressure on BRF to give in to their demands. I still can’t get over their making a big deal of the fact that their wedding garnered huge ratings...I believe they actually think that the BRF is nothing without their so-called star power (which has never done anything for me). Too bad they failed to realize that people got tired of their act and actually sided with the BRF, who did whatever they could to help people

I do feel for Charles. He seems to just take so many hits. Now from his own son. Sadly- I imagine he now knows how Philip and HM felt.

Most Americans don’t care that much about any of this, agreed. Mostly it’s just the big events- weddings, funerals, etc. But I think there will be some interest in Harry always.

The hits do keep coming, and they will continue to do so as long as the Crown and other productions push him as the villain in the Diana story. I think William is disgusted, actually, by the one-sidedness of it all, but Harry thinks it’s all deserved, apparently. The man just keeps on going despite his knowledge that the British public dislike him and probably won’t support him as King. I admire how he just gets on with it.

You’re right, he does know how his parents felt, and I’m sure he regretted that interview a long time ago. I think one day, maybe when it’s too late, but hopefully not, that Harry will regret what he said.

That’s fair - even non Royal watchers were fascinated (not all or even most, though, because it’s a huge country) by Diana. Hence, they care to a degree about William and Harry. To some, they will always be those little boys

Agreed. I don’t think being branded as a quitter will serve her well in the long run.

I think the mistake Meghan made IMO is not really establishing herself before walking. She’s not really known for anything but this. Harry is. Diana was also known for much more than the Charles split/interview.

Exactly. Diana had a good 15 years of living in the public eye as Princess of Wales and she did some really amazing things in that period. No one will ever forget her visiting AIDS patients and hugging them, no one will ever forget her dancing with John Travolta at the White House, no one will forget those "alone" moments she had on that trip to South Korea or the visit to the Taj Mahal. I was a tween/teen during her years and I can still recall those iconic moments. With Meghan - she barely had an impact and while she certainly had "star" potential, she just wasn't a working royal for long enough to have built up a credible resume or lasting legacy.

Unfortunately, for Harry, while he has built up a very admirable legacy with Sentebale and Invictus, I fear that people will lose sight of those as long as the Sussexes keep on their current PR track. It really is becoming clear that it's all about, as Denville noted earlier, MEghan.

**Event**

In honor of Earth Day, Prince Harry narrated the video of African Park's "Hope Starts Here"

You can watch the video here:

https://www.africanparks.org/watch-hope-starts-here

Statement from the Duke of Sussex:

"
Alongside the dedication and commitment of Prince Harry, and with our transformational funders and all our Government partners, we are realising the value of these wild areas by ensuring that the people who live within or around them truly benefit from them being conserved. It is a sure way forward in helping to create a sustainable future for local communities, and for our planet.”

[.....]
And I really don’t see the need to denigrate his sentiments regarding conservation, which are undoubtedly very sincere. Harry has been President of African Parks since 2017 and has put his heart and soul into supporting the organisation and indeed all his charities.

**Event**

In honor of Earth Day, Prince Harry narrated the video of African Park's "Hope Starts Here"

"
Alongside the dedication and commitment of Prince Harry, and with our transformational funders and all our Government partners, we are realising the value of these wild areas by ensuring that the people who live within or around them truly benefit from them being conserved. It is a sure way forward in helping to create a sustainable future for local communities, and for our planet.”

Thank you for sharing

Replying to my own post as I can’t seem to edit it....

I meant to say legitimate in their own minds. Which is to basically say the actual things they felt they were slighted on, everything else is hooey intended for PR with a target audience.

**Event**

"

I’m glad he’s committed to this project

I think probably they did expect perhaps that their popularity would put pressure on BRF to give in to their demands. I still can’t get over their making a big deal of the fact that their wedding garnered huge ratings ..I believe they actually think that the BRF is nothing without their so-called star power (which has never done anything for me). Too bad they failed to realize that people got tired of their act and actually sided with the BRF, who did whatever they could to help people

Like a majority of Americans, Meghan can’t tell the difference between celebrity and Royalty. It’s been pointed out be many royal commentators, so I’m sure that she’s aware of the difference. However her subconscious is not allowing her to accept it. That’s why she (and I concentrating just on her because I think Harry’s just an empty vessel) was shocked and stunned when greater ratings did not equal to a higher place in the pecking order.

[.....]

And I really don’t see the need to denigrate his sentiments regarding conservation, which are undoubtedly very sincere. Harry has been President of African Parks since 2017 and has put his heart and soul into supporting the organisation and indeed all his charities.

I am positive his sentiments are genuine. I just question what he can concretely do for anyone or any cause from the position he is in now. He can’t donate money He can’t jet around and meet with activists and heads of environmental concerns. Heart and soul if very but you need to be able to produce results. A senior prince can do this .

Like a majority of Americans, Meghan can’t tell the difference between celebrity and Royalty. It’s been pointed out be many royal commentators, so I’m sure that she’s aware of the difference. However her subconscious is not allowing her to accept it. That’s why she (and I concentrating just on her because I think Harry’s just an empty vessel) was shocked and stunned when greater ratings did not equal to a higher place in the pecking order.

One thing for sure that she didn't realize too is that with the British royal family and it's monarchy, the court of public opinion has very little influence in how things are done and that there is *no* glass ceiling or ways to "advance" in the ranks of what has already been established by time honored traditions.

Great video, very well narrated Harry and such a good cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom