The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when H got married people were saying how Charles was being nice to Meghan and how H looked fine with his relationship with his father.. so I was a bit taken aback by the hostility that Harry seemed to show, when he was interviewed. I think that he's not happy with any of the RF but there seems to be a particular animus against his father... so is stored up anger to do with things in the past.. or simply that Charles DID over indulge him and now having been told "No" last year and told that he can't expect the same support as a "moved away" royal as he did when he was part of the Firm, that he just got really furious with the family adn esp his father and is lashing out at his dad.
I don't think it was stored up anger but a genuine deterioration of what was once a good relationship. At the onset, the family was very welcoming and kind to Meghan. Recall, Prince Harry was saying that "the RF was the family Meghan never had". The Prince of Wales generously funded the Sussexes livestyle- paid for her closet full of Givenchy clothes and paid for hair and makeup artist to be with her on the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So it appears things were good for a while.
According to Prince Harry, it was after the tour that feelings, attitudes, and perception towards the couple started to change. This deterioration led to pushing the issue on other people, being told to put their plans in writing, to the PofW stop taking Harry's calls all together.

I don't think it was stored up anger but a genuine deterioration of what was once a good relationship. At the onset, the family was very welcoming and kind to Meghan. Recall, Prince Harry was saying that "the RF was the family Meghan never had". The Prince of Wales generously funded the Sussexes livestyle- paid for her closet full of Givenchy clothes and paid for hair and makeup artist to be with her on the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So it appears things were good for a while.
According to Prince Harry, it was after the tour that feelings, attitudes, and perception towards the couple started to change. This deterioration led to pushing the issue on other people, being told to put their plans in writing, to the PofW stop taking Harry's calls all together.

The Press certainly started to take a negative view towards H&M after the Aus tour. I suspect H&Ms own behaviour and demeanour changed when the press commentary changed, and the rest is history.

I don’t blame completely Charles for his kids actions and choices now. Harry is an insanely privileged almost middle aged man after all. But it’s a fact if you don’t or can’t instill parental/family respect and delayed gratification and discipline when they are very young and looking to you for guidance you are setting up trouble for them and yourself when are grown. They don’t have tools in place to live happily and successfully in the real world.

Sometimes, parents have to make an unpopular decisions. I remember, with my own son, his school started at 8am, and I did not have to be at work unit 11am, so it was up to him to take a shower and make breakfast for himself, cereal and milk, and if he did not, he would go to school hungry, he learned pretty quickly to make his own breakfast because mummy was still sleeping. Now his is a completely self-sufficient young man of 29, who can make his own dinner.

Quite right. There had been press reports and Twitter speculation in January 2020 that the website had been registered in Spring 2019.

See my post 1144 further upthread.
Thanks so much! I wrote this before reading yours. I appreciate your giving the factual information:)

The Press certainly started to take a negative view towards H&M after the Aus tour. I suspect H&Ms own behaviour and demeanour changed when the press commentary changed, and the rest is history.
The increasingly negative attitude towards H&M started well before the tour down under. I recall several discussions where posters right here on this forum commented on how the couple could change the tide of the press if the tour was successful.

Glad that Harry has made it home safe. I saw Russell Meyers hinting that Meghan is due in early June. I wonder if that was overhead over the weekend. So no doubt that will be the focus for Harry from this point out.

Harry is now home in California:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Montecito-reunite-pregnant-Meghan-Archie.html

I am crossing my fingers there is not an 'update' from Gayle King in the next few days. I personally find her involvement in this whole affair to be rather irksome.

Well it's not Gayle King on CBS Morning Show it but is what the Sussexes want us to know via Scobie:

IE:
A tabloid report claiming that Harry wrote a “deeply personal” letter for his father before the funeral is also false, the source adds. Prince Charles has been staying at his Llwynywermod estate residence in Wales (over 185-miles away from Windsor) since Sunday.

BAZAAR understands that Harry met the queen, who turns 95 today, privately on at least two occasions during his time in the country. “The love and respect he has for his grandmother will always be unwavering,” a source previously said.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...rince-harry-california-prince-philip-funeral/

Of course other reports say Charles and William talked on Saturday before Charles went on Sunday. But it follows the Interview pattern, push the "We love the Queen and she loves us" and "Charles is the bad guy" narrative.

He may be particularly angry at Charles-but I also think- from a PR POV- it’s easier for him to lash out by name at Charles, rather than say William. And certainly not HM. Charles is less popular.

I don’t think it’s coincidental that the majority of their criticisms have been lodged at the family, the business, the staff in vague terms. It not only accomplished the purpose of throwing EVERYONE under the bus, but it avoided the consequences of individually calling out the more popular members of the family too much.

Great points. I think he’s angry at different ways with his father and brother, though I do think there’s more sheer anger with William and more pain/resentment with Charles. I mentioned this before, but I think he was using the interview to get his point across to Charles as he resented having to communicate by letter for even a short time. Charles did that with his father for awhile when they were particularly at odds - I think it’s a good idea, and I suspect C thought that would be a good idea with H as well. H apparently took that as “my father no longer wants to have speak to me” and he aired his grievances. In the process, he damaged the trust between them and he gave people more reasons to hate his father; that can never be undone.

I know H loves both his father and brother, but saying that in the interview didn’t mitigate anyone; his comments were not loving, especially about Charles.

Well it's not Gayle King on CBS Morning Show it but is what the Sussexes want us to know via Scobie:

IE:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...rince-harry-california-prince-philip-funeral/

Of course other reports say Charles and William talked on Saturday before Charles went on Sunday. But it follows the Interview pattern, push the "We love the Queen and she loves us" and "Charles is the bad guy" narrative.

But he refused to meet his father because he was on a schedule. This says it all to me - H doesn’t prioritize trying to heal his relationship with his father. He managed to find time twice to see his grandmother, but couldn’t be bothered to see his father.

Daily Express says that Charles is planning a visit to the States to see Biden. Robert Jobson is quoted as saying that it’s likely he won’t visit H in CA as the trip would be for work. There’s more to it, but that’s the gist. I agree with Jobson that C will get blowback for ignoring his son, but like he said, it’s a work trip - on British tax payers’ dime. At this point, I’m fine with it. I don’t want Charles to have to beg for H’s love.

Last edited:
I remember when H got married people were saying how Charles was being nice to Meghan and how H looked fine with his relationship with his father.. so I was a bit taken aback by the hostility that Harry seemed to show, when he was interviewed. I think that he's not happy with any of the RF but there seems to be a particular animus against his father... so is stored up anger to do with things in the past.. or simply that Charles DID over indulge him and now having been told "No" last year and told that he can't expect the same support as a "moved away" royal as he did when he was part of the Firm, that he just got really furious with the family adn esp his father and is lashing out at his dad.

In my opinion, I suspect there are M-H relationship dynamics that could explain much of this.

But he refused to meet his father because he was on a schedule. This says it all to me - H doesn’t prioritize trying to heal his relationship with his father. He managed to find time twice to see his grandmother, but couldn’t be bothered to see his father.

Daily Express says that Charles is planning a visit to the States to see Biden. Robert Jobson is quoted as saying that it’s likely he won’t visit H in CA as the trip would be for work. There’s more to it, but that’s the gist. I agree with Jobson that C will get blowback for ignoring his son, but like he said, it’s a work trip - on British tax payers’ dime. At this point, I’m fine with it. I don’t want Charles to have to beg for H’s love.
According to reports, Harry met with Charles on atleast 2 occasions. Once with Charles alone when viewing the tributes to Prince Philip and again along with Prince William. So there was sufficient opportunity for the two to speak before Harry's departure and Charles going to Wales.

If Prince Charles wants to see the couple and his grandchildren he can. In fact, I would be very surprised and disappointed if he does not see them on the visit. If anything to see the grandkids.
Charles and many royals are experts at distinguishing the "official" part of their trip from the "private" part. He can fly ahead of the official start of the trip and privately visit them or at the end before he heads back to the UK.

Charles and many royals are experts at distinguishing the "official" part of their trip from the "private" part. He can fly ahead of the official start of the trip and privately visit them or at the end before he heads back to the UK.

I seem to recall criticism in the past when other royals have done exactly that. I could be remembering incorrectly though.

Presumably, he'll be meeting Biden in Washington. That's not much closer to Los Angeles than it is to London. It's not like popping over to Windsor if you're visiting someone at Buckingham Palace. But it would be lovely if he could see Archie and the new baby.

The increasingly negative attitude towards H&M started well before the tour down under. I recall several discussions where posters right here on this forum commented on how the couple could change the tide of the press if the tour was successful.

Yes and it came on the heels of a few events that seemed to have been when the overwhelming positive tide they'd enjoyed began to shift. For example the NYC babyshower. Also the Wimbledon match that saw many ticket holders denied their seats as Meghan and two friends were present. The photos of so many empty seats did not do her any favors. Plus there was the confusion over little Archie's birth with the Sussexes' email stating that the Duchess was in labor while she'd actually given birth.

IMHO the South African tour was a roaring success but sadly the goodwill they'd earned from the tour was derailed by the interview. Personally this was my turning point.

Of course there are always "stories" based on "royal sources".. that's how a lot of royal news comes out. And sometimes they may be real leaks sometimes it may just be conjecture by journalists. But its the nature of these recent stories.. Meg and harry attacked the RF, saying that they were racists and heartless and that they had not cared for MEg or H.. They made statements that were dubious and implied that Charles had refused to help them or to talk to them. So the stories that have come out in the past month have been largely defending the RF against the attacks by Meg and H. What do they expect? They know that the RF wont make a direct statement.. but that doesn't mean that courtiers wont do something to defend themselves since they were also criticized and to defend the RF.

This is really beyond the point of my argument which is that it's ludicrous to think that the Sussexes are the only ones who leak to the press – which was the suggestion by another poster.

I know Chrissy is very active on social media, but I presume this information wouldn’t have been released without Meghan’s knowledge, consent and desire.

Did this get released today? Today is the Queen’s birthday.

It's only a big deal when people make it a big deal.

My reaction is that it was a very nice thing for Meghan to do. But then, I'm not always looking for the negative when it comes to Meghan.

Last edited:
I seem to recall criticism in the past when other royals have done exactly that. I could be remembering incorrectly though.
Perhaps the latter. Charles and Camilla have traveled ahead multiple times in the past to far away locations for the tour and have stayed behind. I can't imagine them continuing to do it if there was public outcry.
If they want to see the family they can and will find away. They can fly to California or the family can travel to Washington

And it is not as if he will be 'nearby'. He will be visiting Washington I assume. Which is about 5 1/2 - 6 hours flight to LAX. So, it would take him another full day to get there. A direct flight from London to LAX is a little over 11 hours, so he would only be a little over halfway.

I know Chrissy is very active on social media, but I presume this information wouldn’t have been released without Meghan’s knowledge, consent and desire.

Did this get released today? Today is the Queen’s birthday.

Yes, it was released today:whistling:

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

It's only a big deal when people make it a big deal.

My reaction is that it was a very nice thing for Meghan to do. But then, I'm not always looking for the negative when it comes to Meghan.

I do think it was a nice thing to do. And I’m sure it was genuine and heartfelt.

Last edited:
And it is not as if he will be 'nearby'. He will be visiting Washington I assume. Which is about 5 1/2 - 6 hours flight to LAX. So, it would take him another full day to get there. A direct flight from London to LAX is a little over 11 hours, so he would only be a little over halfway.

It's possible that Charles could arrange to fly out to California when he's in the US but I don't think its probable. Charles usually has quite a full diary of things going on and wouldn't take that much time out for a personal visit no matter how nice it would be for Grandpa to visit the Sussex kids. My guess is that the Sussexes will travel to the UK some time over the summer when the family are on their summer hiatus. Perhaps visit Balmoral/Birkhall. Depends too on when the little one is born.

If Prince Charles wants to see the couple and his grandchildren he can. In fact, I would be very surprised and disappointed if he does not see them on the visit. If anything to see the grandkids.

As this entire trip is for work and on the British taxpayer dime, I don't see Charles tacking on a personal trip to California. It would not only involve Charles flying out to the west coast but his entire entourage of RPOs would have to go with him. Charles, then, would be personally responsible for the travel expenses, hotels, meals and such for them while he's on personal time.

Harry received a whole lot of backlash the time he did an official tour in the Caribbean and tacked on flying to Toronto to see Meghan on his way back to the UK.

Last edited:
This is really beyond the point of my argument which is that it's ludicrous to think that the Sussexes are the only ones who leak to the press – which was the suggestion by another poster.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that the Sussexes are the only ones to leak to the press.

I don’t think, in the grand scheme of things, it is a big deal. It’s just....typical, I guess, of what I expect from her now. Last week we needed to know of her thoughtfulness regarding Philip. Today, it’s Chrissy. So: Meghan is thoughtful. Got it.

I do think it was a nice thing to do. And I’m sure it was genuine and heartfelt. It just had to be public too....

I see. Thanks.

I don’t get why some are acting like Meghan sent out a press release. Chrissy was on a chat show last night and was asked about her tweeting in Meghan’s defense a few times and if she every responded. Chrissy actually seemed very uncomfortable talking about it but said that Meghan had reached out about and the loss of her son and was very nice.

Everyone making EVERYTHING people say or do about Meghan about the royals is just over the top to me. I seriously doubt the Queen’s birthday was on Chrissy’s mind. But that’s just me. LOL

I don’t get why some are acting like Meghan sent out a press release. Chrissy was on a chat show last night and was asked about her tweeting in Meghan’s defense a few times and if she every responded. Chrissy actually seemed very uncomfortable talking about it but said that Meghan had reached out about and the loss of her son and was very nice.

Everyone making EVERYTHING people say or do about Meghan about the royals is just over the top to me. I seriously doubt the Queen’s birthday was on Chrissy’s mind. But that’s just me. LOL

I think, as time passes, more and more of what we hear in regards to both Harry and Meghan will pertain to the celebrity culture rather than the royal connection. Stands to reason for me as they work and plan and become more and more involved in the celebrity world and leave the royal world behind them. It's people in that celebrity world that they will network with that will be beneficial to whatever it is they want to do. The "royal feud" may be a hot topic right now but in the entertainment world, hot topics grow old very, very fast.

Things will escalate faster of what we hear too from California as the pandemic eases up and restrictions are no longer in place and things can get back to a semblance of "normal". I don't follow celebrity so I imagine that the only place I'll hear about the Sussexes is here. :D

I doubt HM’s birthday was on Chrissy’s mind. I just found the timing interesting. That’s all. And that’s why I asked. Now I know.

I can certainly see that being something to bond over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom