The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deaths and births changes things. Charles had tense relationships with his own father for many years. He also apparently didn't really get on well with his own sons for quite some time. Things change with time and circumstances.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that things will magically get better. Of course not. There is real hurt on all sides and that needs to be addressed. They ALL have to admit they made mistakes. They have to want to work to reach a place of forgiveness. That doesn't mean everything is okay. Just means you are trying.

But maybe they will be in denial and think they are perfect and did nothing wrong. Maybe they don't care to rebuild relationships. Maybe they don't want to know Archie and his little sister and there don't care if they ever come to the UK. Maybe Harry wants to wipe his hands completely of all things the UK and his family. All this is possible too.

Last edited:
Oh that's mild IMO... what clearly "GOT" William was the accusation of racism. You could see that when someone called to him "are you a racist family"? I think that the way Harry announced it, first throwing it out that ANYONe in the family could have said it,, and then exonerating the queen and Phil.. that made it seem like it was more likely to be Wil or Charles.

I believe that mistakes have been made on both sides and hope that talking and time will heal a lot of the pain. Harry is still at Frogmore Cottage isn’t he? I haven’t heard he’s flown back to the US or anything more recent than the Evening Standard report.

I think he is still there. ES report was posted this morning (at least here in US), and I haven’t seen any articles claiming he’s left for home

Im inclined to agree.. I think that Harry showed that underneath his public image he's a man with real anger esp towards his father and to the rest of the RF.. and if he was in that frame of mind a month ago, I doubt if it has changed much. He knew that a lot of what Meg said was not true but he went along iwht it and said things himself...
He's said that he feels William and Charles are trapped in royal life.. so why would he expect them to make concessions towards him? I think that if they DO try to be nice to him in his mood at present (which may have been his mood for a long time now) he will interpret it as them conceding that all the things he said about them were true.. and that they are just trying to make up for their past behaviour. And what exactly does he need from them? He's now got his deal, he can earn his own living. He is the US where he is presumably happy with Meghan.. and he'll get on with his life and they will get on with theirs.

I used to think that the family could heal in time but I am losing hope and think that the royal family is in a no win situation. The bolded section was also true last month when Harry and Meghan felt compelled to publicly air their mostly petty grievances and afterwards sent friends out to threaten more damaging disclosures to come. Perhaps in time Harry and Meghan will come to understand how damaging and unnecessary their actions were but I'm afraid that any such understanding won't last very long.

Harry and Meghan have everything they claim they want except a public apology from their groveling family - and that is not going to happen. There will always disagreements and life is not fair - especially in a monarchy. There is nothing the royal family can do to prevent another blow up. If they cut Harry and Meghan off completely, Harry and Meghan can disclose their version of their past experience with the family for years. If Harry and Meghan are let back in, things can (and will) fall apart again at any time.

The only thing the royal family can do is to continue to love them and keep the door open without letting them completely in. Even so, the family has to be prepared for future interviews when Harry and Meghan feel slighted. With respect to the public, the family can only hope that future publicity will backfire and the majority of the British people will continue to support them. As a family, I think they just have to accept that Harry and Meghan will never be satisfied and that the family is not responsible for Harry and Meghan's happiness.

While I agree that the Windsors did something more detrimental to the British monarchy (abdication of a king), the things you mention do show similarities. I am sure Queen Mary also loved her son deeply - but that did prevent him from taking actions she must have despised; and must have changed their relationship although her love for him would not have depended on it.

I also think that his brothers in their own way still loved him even though they had changed their lives (especially his second brother's life) enormously. Another parallel, because Harry's actions also have a profound impact on William's reign.

Harry and Meghan also set up some kind of rival court which was most visible when they had a photographer take pictures for Remembrance Sunday.

I’m not into further comparisons with the Windsors as I think it’s moot and has nothing to do with this. I still disagree, though, that the situations are alike.

I just can not support Charles cutting off his own son..or vice versa. I can’t support William deciding never to speak to his brother again, or vice versa. Let them be angry and hurt, all of them, but that’s different than burning bridges permanently.

I’m encouraged by the talks. It’s a start, that’s a good thing. Now we’ll see what happens.

They are not going to cut them off permanently but I think that they will never trust them very far again and for self protection, will limit their interactions with them to very general talk...

Might I point out that this is the Sussex Family News and Events thread and that your chilly missive belongs on a BRF thread where you can applaud the fracturing of a formerly close family and extended family with like minded members.

Honestly, it's a Harry and Meghan News and Events Thread but that doesn't mean that it's only a Pro-Harry and Meghan Thread. It exists for discussion of all things Harry and Meghan and Co., not only for fawning praise and adulation. Harry and Meghan have absolutely played their part in the fracturing of this family and to think otherwise is, at best, naive. They're not a totally blameless and innocent party here.

In other news, I can't image for one moment that the BRF will entirely cut Harry out of their lives. It can and does happen in some families and oftentimes for good reason. I have some deeply personal experience in this area and can state with absolute certainty that it rarely happens without a lot of deep thought, reflection, and the feeling that you simply have no other choice. Most people who feel the need to entirely remove a family member from their lives do so with regret and with the feeling that they've done absolutely everything they can do and that there's simply no other way and they know exactly what they're losing, giving up, and risking.

I generally find that it's best not to speculate too deeply on marriages that you are not a party to but, that said, marriages end all the time for any number of reasons. Maybe Harry and Meghan will be blissfully happy and remain married for the rest of their lives. Maybe they won't. Maybe Meghan will live to a ripe old age and pass away peacefully in her bed surrounded by her children and grandchildren. But maybe she won't. Accidents and illnesses happen every day. The BRF is nothing if not pragmatic and prepared with game-plans for every considerable circumstance, no matter how awful and unpleasant those might be. I'm 100% sure that they won't completely cut Harry out of their lives, no matter how they may feel about Meghan, because they love him and they love his children and they know that even if he chooses to distance himself from them, should his marriage ever end or anything should ever happen to Meghan, he'll need them. And they'll want him to know that they're there for him and for his children if the need should ever arise.

I think we forget sometimes that while this is a very public family that we all have an interest in, they are still a very real family with all that that implies and entails. Cutting a family member completely out of your life is an incredibly difficult decision and one that, even if made for the best of reasons, has painful consequences and will never be "the easy way out." Short of something drastic and almost inconceivable coming to light I really can't imagine the BRF ever completely cutting Harry and his children out of their lives or their "family fold." And for the record, trusting them and sharing information with them is an entirely different kettle of fish. I think that ship has sailed. I don't foresee there ever really being deep trust there ever again and I certainly don't think they'll ever trust Harry with sensitive information. I think at this point they're weighing anything they say to him on the scale of whether or not they're okay with it becoming public knowledge. But that's entirely different that removing he and the children from their lives completely.

Last edited:
They didn't cut the Windsors out completely even though it was a different time and there was much more disapproval of what they had done. But they were never CLOSE to the family again, and Wallis was just barely considered persona grata. But they didn't want very public feuding so Edward was invited to some events and the queen went to see him when he was dyeing. So theyre not going to savagely refuse to acknowledge Harry and meghan.. but they will IMO be very cautious - polite in public, polite but cautious in private.

I’m not into further comparisons with the Windsors as I think it’s moot and has nothing to do with this. I still disagree, though, that the situations are alike.

I just can not support Charles cutting off his own son..or vice versa. I can’t support William deciding never to speak to his brother again, or vice versa. Let them be angry and hurt, all of them, but that’s different than burning bridges permanently.

I’m encouraged by the talks. It’s a start, that’s a good thing. Now we’ll see what happens.

While I'm sure we all want both sides to made up, I don't think it's quite feasible (at least right now). Even if they did forgive each other and H&M got a second chance, what would happen if similar situations arise in the future? What if H&M felt slighted again and decided to give another interview like the last time? What if H&M said other lies on the interview? They already lied about trivial things that can be easily disproven before, what if they lie again and this time it's about something that can't be proven? Should they be forgiven again? How many times should they be forgiven and given second chances? I know they are a family, but even families have their limit.

Harry and Meghan didn't commit a mass murder or something. There won't be any cutting off. And even after a mass murder, families usually don't just cut ties. But I can't see any trust on either side for a long time... and I can't see any steps made by the RF for a longer time yet. It would be equal to acknowledging the truth in the accusations. It's either Harry making the first step publicly or a long wait until this, too, blows over. Publicly. We don't need to know what happens privately. But I doubt that there is this much of a difference. If one can't talk to Harry out of fear that Gayle King would end up announcing the result on TV, that's basically erasing any privacy aspect. And even if the letter story is true and it was leaked by a source close to Harry, that's no guarantee that the moment he feels slighted, he won't release another story about his valiant attempts at reconciliation and his family's cruel indifference.

Honestly, it's a Harry and Meghan News and Events Thread but that doesn't mean that it's only a Pro-Harry and Meghan Thread. It exists for discussion of all things Harry and Meghan and Co., not only for fawning praise and adulation. Harry and Meghan have absolutely played their part in the fracturing of this family and to think otherwise is, at best, naive. They're not a totally blameless and innocent party here.

I usually don't write much in this thread, and I only catch up with it occasionally. Why? Well, besides lack of time, I really don't enjoy the H&M-bashing. Pro-Harry and Meghan? I challenge people to find one post among the last 2-300 posts that is pro, not con. This thread is post after post about bashing H&M.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything that they have done, and especially not with how it's been handled. Not at all. But I do think that there's two sides - or more - to this story. I don't think that Meghan is the calculating mean woman that some posters seems to think she is. And I don't think that the Charles, William and the other side of the family is white as snow and has done everything right.

I come from a family where the importance of mental health and racism has been brutally highlighted the last couple of years. I've lost a niece and a nephew (not from the same family) to suicide. My nice was also biracial, and even though that wasn't a main reason why we lost her, it certainly didn't make life easier for her. So when someone says that they have mental health problems, I take that seriously. I cut them some extra slack. I do what I can to help if it's a friend.

Harry and Meghan aren't without guilt. I'm not on their side. I'm not on any side at all in this story, because I don't know enough about what has happened. And I dare to say that neither one of us do. We don't know these people. But I'm definitely on the side where I take mental health issues seriously.

I'll go back to reading other threads now. It's not good for my own mental health to read so much negativity and anger that's acumulating in this thread. I just wanted to speak up, because I don't think that I'm the only one.

I usually don't write much in this thread, and I only catch up with it occasionally. Why? Well, besides lack of time, I really don't enjoy the H&M-bashing. Pro-Harry and Meghan? I challenge people to find one post among the last 2-300 posts that is pro, not con. This thread is post after post about bashing H&M.

If it's taxing to one's own mental health to be involved or even read a thread then certainly I think that person should stick to other threads. I myself have walked away from the forums and even just the Harry and Meghan section at times when it all just became too much. This place should be enjoyable but when it's not, when it adds extra stress rather than just being a place to visit and converse in your spare time, then it's not healthy. I've done that myself so I'd venture to say that you've made a healthy choice.

That said, there's loads of posts that would fit the bolded criteria. You need only read back through the pages and you'll see them quite clearly. One thing that's always been true, especially so it seems on the Harry and Meghan topics but really anywhere on the forums, is that there's always a camp of unreservedly pro defenders no matter who the topic is. There will always been fans that couldn't be swayed no matter what the person in question did or what evidence stacked up against them, there will always be haters who believe that the person in question could quite simply never get anything right no matter what it is, and there will always be those in the middle who are trying to be fair in the fact that no one is perfect but that some choices are better than others. It's pretty obvious who is who when one has been here more than a millisecond and I'd bet my last cup of coffee that those who have been here for a while could list for you many of the posters who fall in each of the three camps I just outlined. I won't go back and collect the pro-Harry and Meghan posts for you, you're perfectly capable of reading back through and seeing them for yourself and that's exactly the type of thing the mods frown on here and I'm 100% positive the post would be removed. So I'll simply say that there's a lot of very, very pro-Harry and Meghan posts and for that handful of posters known to be staunch Harry and Meghan supporters, I think you'll find that they're quite unlikely to be swayed no matter what is said, argued, or presented. And that's fine, that's what this forum is. But please don't act like there's no pro-Harry and Meghan on this thread because there absolutely is.

Royal Highness
Harry and Meghan have everything they claim they want except a public apology from their groveling family -

Apology for what?

I think that they had a bit of sympathy and understanding in the royal family itself with regard to the frustration of the machinery and limitation the life has. The royals themselves understood that however it is their actions that the I, maybe a number of people and I think the royals have an issue with.
We get that you are hurt and feel victimized, but that doesn't give you the right to go on TV and making accusation and talk a bit of nonsense. I feel that a lot of the interview was prepared and therefore scripted and learnt which means that they contemplated what they were saying and made a deliberate decision. What I am trying to say - it wasn't off the top of their heads in a heated argument. And it is that action that I have an issue with. Yes - deciding after it has aired to run to Oprah to say it wasn't the Queen and Prince Philip only after seeing the media immediately saying it was Prince Philip says a lot as well. The interview was planned to hurt and insult and push the royals again into action - it was a reminder that would always be able to rush to the media, play the race card and dangle their victim status to the world. That is what that was about, it was a power play.
Edward and Wallis didn't have any trump cards, or they would have played them as well.
The thing is if Harry and Meghan are not brought back into the fold, or sufficiently appleased, they will continue to do it again and again.

Last edited:
They are not going to cut them off permanently but I think that they will never trust them very far again and for self protection, will limit their interactions with them to very general talk...

Do you think that Charles might reinstate their allowance?

I'm not saying that I agree with everything that they have done, and especially not with how it's been handled. Not at all. But I do think that there's two sides - or more - to this story. I don't think that Meghan is the calculating mean woman that some posters seems to think she is. And I don't think that the Charles, William and the other side of the family is white as snow and has done everything right.

I come from a family where the importance of mental health and racism has been brutally highlighted the last couple of years. I've lost a niece and a nephew (not from the same family) to suicide. My nice was also biracial, and even though that wasn't a main reason why we lost her, it certainly didn't make life easier for her. So when someone says that they have mental health problems, I take that seriously. I cut them some extra slack. I do what I can to help if it's a friend.

Harry and Meghan aren't without guilt. I'm not on their side. I'm not on any side at all in this story, because I don't know enough about what has happened. And I dare to say that neither one of us do. We don't know these people. But I'm definitely on the side where I take mental health issues seriously.

I'll go back to reading other threads now. It's not good for my own mental health to read so much negativity and anger that's acumulating in this thread. I just wanted to speak up, because I don't think that I'm the only one.

Thank you for this post and I agree with a lot of what you have said. I feel like it has to be reminded more than once that we don't know these people. What one claims as "lies" told is basically how you interpreted what was said. And that is everyone's right. None of these people are perfect and they have all caused each other hurt.

The royals aint perfect. Not a one and history has shown just how nasty they can be behind the scenes despite the public personas and adoration people have for them. And yes that includes Harry and Meghan.

Royal Highness

Apology for what?

I'm not saying that the family should publicly apologize but I think Harry and Meghan want the family to apologize for several things, including not correcting the insignificant article that Meghan made Catherine cry, for not allowing Meghan and Harry to represent Britain and the royal family the way Harry and Meghan wanted to, and for not giving Harry and Meghan blank checks for the rest of their lives.

No, I don't. While I certainly don't believe that he would ever allow them to be left destitute and on the streets, I also don't believe he's just going to hand over the cash just to appease them and, essentially, ward off what would amount to blackmail. He loves his son and his grandchildren, he'd never allow them to go hungry or be left penniless but I very much think Charles has hit the point that he's not about to fork over money just so they won't run and give another interview. They've done that. It didn't do them a whole lot of favors the first time. If they're seen to run off and give interviews every single time they don't get their way then eventually it'll just become laughable. Particularly in light of the clear lies and half truths presented in the first one. If that continues everyone will be watching to see what kind of hole they dig themselves into each and every time they pull that little stunt. I think Charles is shrewd enough to allow the chips to fall where they may at this point.

They are not working royals. They have paid all their debts. They don't need an allowance as they are making their own money. Quite frankly that is how it should be.

If Charles want to set up a trust for his grandchildren that is something different. But he is no longer responsible for the Sussex financials.

That ‘insignificant article’ about Meghan making Kate cry turned up in different forms in literally dozens of tabloid articles during Meghan’s time in the UK, as extra fodder for allegations about Meghan’s character and personality.

Harry and Meghan undertook many successful engagements (some before they were even married) two very successful overseas tours and represented the Queen very well. I saw them on their Oceania tour. And I do not believe that either Harry or Meghan asked anyone for blank checks for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:
Thank you for this post and I agree with a lot of what you have said. I feel like it has to be reminded more than once that we don't know these people. What one claims as "lies" told is basically how you interpreted what was said. And that is everyone's right. None of these people are perfect and they have all caused each other hurt.

The royals aint perfect. Not a one and history has shown just how nasty they can be behind the scenes despite the public personas and adoration people have for them. And yes that includes Harry and Meghan.

I agree with that - and if Harry and Meghan had kept it behind the scenes, I would not feel as negatively as I do towards them. Up until a few days before the interview, I generally supported them.

But Harry, Meghan, and their supporters can't have it both ways. If Meghan and Harry can publicly criticize their family and encourage friends to publicly do so, they shouldn't complain when they are publicly criticized (the royal family has not publicly criticized them). It is interesting to read thoughtful posts from people I don't agree with. Everyone has the right to post their thoughts as long as it is respectful and follow forum rules.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan undertook many successful engagements (some before they were even married) two very successful overseas tours and represented the Queen very well. I saw them on their Oceania tour.

I didn't say they weren't successful. I said they didn't get to do it they wanted to do. At least that is what Finding Freedom alleged.

And I do not believe that either Harry or Meghan asked anyone for blank checks for the rest of their lives.

They didn't say that - that was a bit of hyperbole. I was mocking a middle aged couple who have millions of dollars and live in a huge mansion complaining that his family cut them off financially.

That ‘insignificant article’ about Meghan making Kate cry turned up in different forms in literally dozens of tabloid articles during Meghan’s time in the UK, as extra fodder for allegations about Meghan’s character and personality.

Harry and Meghan undertook many successful engagements (some before they were even married) two very successful overseas tours and represented the Queen very well. I saw them on their Oceania tour. And I do not believe that either Harry or Meghan asked anyone for blank checks for the rest of their lives.

You are correct they carried out some really successful work and had more to offer but they decided it was not what they wanted. They wanted to do something different.
This IMHO where lines/ views become crossed or confused.

In other news, I can't image for one moment that the BRF will entirely cut Harry out of their lives. It can and does happen in some families and oftentimes for good reason. I have some deeply personal experience in this area and can state with absolute certainty that it rarely happens without a lot of deep thought, reflection, and the feeling that you simply have no other choice. Most people who feel the need to entirely remove a family member from their lives do so with regret and with the feeling that they've done absolutely everything they can do and that there's simply no other way and they know exactly what they're losing, giving up, and risking.

I generally find that it's best not to speculate too deeply on marriages that you are not a party to but, that said, marriages end all the time for any number of reasons. Maybe Harry and Meghan will be blissfully happy and remain married for the rest of their lives. Maybe they won't. Maybe Meghan will live to a ripe old age and pass away peacefully in her bed surrounded by her children and grandchildren. But maybe she won't. Accidents and illnesses happen every day. The BRF is nothing if not pragmatic and prepared with game-plans for every considerable circumstance, no matter how awful and unpleasant those might be. I'm 100% sure that they won't completely cut Harry out of their lives, no matter how they may feel about Meghan, because they love him and they love his children and they know that even if he chooses to distance himself from them, should his marriage ever end or anything should ever happen to Meghan, he'll need them. And they'll want him to know that they're there for him and for his children if the need should ever arise.

I think we forget sometimes that while this is a very public family that we all have an interest in, they are still a very real family with all that that implies and entails. Cutting a family member completely out of your life is an incredibly difficult decision and one that, even if made for the best of reasons, has painful consequences and will never be "the easy way out." Short of something drastic and almost inconceivable coming to light I really can't imagine the BRF ever completely cutting Harry and his children out of their lives or their "family fold." And for the record, trusting them and sharing information with them is an entirely different kettle of fish. I think that ship has sailed. I don't foresee there ever really being deep trust there ever again and I certainly don't think they'll ever trust Harry with sensitive information. I think at this point they're weighing anything they say to him on the scale of whether or not they're okay with it becoming public knowledge. But that's entirely different that removing he and the children from their lives completely.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Just to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting that there are never times when cutting family members off isn’t a good idea, but I don’t think that’s the case here...at ALL.

I hesitate to say there won’t be real trust again, because never is a long time. I’ll stick to saying that it will take a long time to regain that trust, and Harry will have to prove that he’s worthy of that trust. That includes making sure that Meghan understands that her husband’s conversations with his family are off-limits to the media.

I don't know whether this particular article was true or not but the royal family often deals with untrue allegations that repeatedly pop up. It's part of the territory and it generally fades over time.

I think negative articles were the result rather than the cause, of the breakdown of the relationship between Meghan and the media. I believe that the relationship soured because the media heard she treated staff badly and her general attitude.

In my opinion, Meghan focused on this article because she doesn't want to believe that any of the criticism she started receiving could have been the result of anything she actually did so she singled out this article as the cause. This is also another passive-aggressive shot at Catherine because Catherine didn't refute it, even though Catherine and the palace rarely dispute any story floating around.

Last edited:
Yes, but Harry and Meghan didn’t just get up one morning and decide they didn’t want to undertake royal duties any more. It’s what led to their decision that causes debate

Some observers contend they were goaded out of the UK by tabloid persecution of Meghan while others hold directly opposite views and believe that they just wanted to become wealthy early in their marriage and consistently worked towards that.

I just think that much of what has come out has been coloured (tainted if you like) by media coverage and things may have been a lot more nuanced that any of us might countenance.

While I'm sure we all want both sides to made up, I don't think it's quite feasible (at least right now). Even if they did forgive each other and H&M got a second chance, what would happen if similar situations arise in the future? What if H&M felt slighted again and decided to give another interview like the last time? What if H&M said other lies on the interview? They already lied about trivial things that can be easily disproven before, what if they lie again and this time it's about something that can't be proven? Should they be forgiven again? How many times should they be forgiven and given second chances? I know they are a family, but even families have their limit.

I have never said that I expected a true reconciliation right away - that’s going to take time. You have to start from somewhere, though - and this was a good start.

We could go back and forth all day with “what if’s”...What if positive steps in these relationships are taken? What if lessons are learned? You’re getting too far ahead of yourself, and you’re only thinking negatively. Charles and his father managed to forge a close relationship despite many issues between them. This idea that Charles especially should throw his hands up and give up just doesn’t make sense to me. Keep in mind that he’s the head of the family now - I’m sure he wants to set a good example for his family.

No, I don't. While I certainly don't believe that he would ever allow them to be left destitute and on the streets, I also don't believe he's just going to hand over the cash just to appease them and, essentially, ward off what would amount to blackmail. He loves his son and his grandchildren, he'd never allow them to go hungry or be left penniless but I very much think Charles has hit the point that he's not about to fork over money just so they won't run and give another interview. They've done that. It didn't do them a whole lot of favors the first time. If they're seen to run off and give interviews every single time they don't get their way then eventually it'll just become laughable. Particularly in light of the clear lies and half truths presented in the first one. If that continues everyone will be watching to see what kind of hole they dig themselves into each and every time they pull that little stunt. I think Charles is shrewd enough to allow the chips to fall where they may at this point.

Agreed. Also, Charles apparently already closed his checkbook when it comes to providing for his son - who is still in good shape financially. That’s why Harry said what he said on air. I believe H is insecure in general, and that may be why he has been so upset about William getting more attention/“power”. I also think it’s why he was upset about Charles “cutting him off”, equating that to his (H) not being important enough.

This is why I think miscommunication is at the heart of the rift. I don’t ever think Charles and William intended to hurt Harry, and I suspect H thought the interview was his best way to make sure they understood his feelings. It didn’t work when Charles spoke about his parents with Dimbleby, and it didn’t work here. Considering C was in a similar position to H and did make a big mistake, the ramifications of such an interview are something he can speak to. Didn’t Anne and Edward write an Op-Ed in The NY Times disputing what their brother had said?

Yes, but Harry and Meghan didn’t just get up one morning and decide they didn’t want to undertake royal duties any more. It’s what led to their decision that causes debate

Some observers contend they were goaded out of the UK by tabloid persecution of Meghan while others hold directly opposite views and believe that they just wanted to become wealthy early in their marriage and consistently worked towards that.

I just think that much of what has come out has been coloured (tainted if you like) by media coverage and things may have been a lot more nuanced that any of us might countenance.

Actually, where we disagree is that the debate is centered around their decision to step back and move away from Britain. I acknowledge that some people on this board felt they should not have left but I don't debate that at all. I didn't like the way they did it but I understood the decision. The media did write unflattering stories, many of which were untrue - others were true but unfair. Royal life was obviously not for them and they had every right to move on.

My criticism and most of the criticism on this thread is due to the decision to publicly criticize his family and hard working palace staff with vague complaints, many of which have been proven to be untrue. I also criticize them for not taking any responsibility for anything - they even blamed palace staff because Harry didn't help Meghan get mental health care!

With respect to the silly little story, I could have respected it if Meghan had simply said that the story wasn't true rather than taking passive aggressive digs at her sister-in-law. Moreover, they didn't bother to refute the story themselves (Harry has done his own media releases - most famously when he released a statement criticizing some online trolls for racism while his father was on an important state visit). They also didn't feel it was important enough to set the record straight in Finding Freedom.

IMHO, Harry and Meghan should focus on their work, period. Goodness knows there are enough people in need all over the world who could benefit from their good works. Even if all of the accusations against members of the BRF and courtiers are true, or mostly true, it should be sorted out with the people who are directly involved--family members, courtiers, whomever. The bottom line for me is that Harry and Meghan took a very cheap shot at the BRF by doing the Oprah interview. If there was/is rampant racism among the courtiers, then confront them, confront their bosses, confront Charles. If Meghan was suicidal, they should have found help. If Harry wanted out even before Meghan, he should have left. H and M were not powerless, but they spin the narrative that they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom