The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan did also have a miscarriage last year and because she is in the late stages could not travel on doctor's orders. Plus COVID is still there. Not ordinary times. I don't know why the wreath was a problem, it came from the Sussexes, both of them.

The wreath wasn't a problem - it was lovely, and I liked that it was so colorful. The press release about it was a problem, and the timing of that press release was an even bigger one. I don't think anyone on here has said Meghan should have attended.

I am not sure how "easy" it was for Meghan in the late stages of a pregnancy. It is subject to speculation; Zara was very visibly uncomfortable in her pregnancy with her second child, during the Sussex wedding. What Meghan needs to do now is to ensure her health and safety and that of her unborn child and on doctor's orders. I myself when I watched the funeral did not give any thought to the wreath story, I watched the service and left it at that.

On the contrary, the couple has shown that their support gestures have been on-going. The couple didn't just start recently caring.
For example, Harry reportedly called and reached out to his father when it was revealed Prince Charles had coronavirus, we also know that Harry and William have been talking in collaboration with their mother's memorial statue project for this summer, Harry famously detailed how his late grandfather ended Zoom calls (lol), and in the interview the couple spoke about how they called the Queen when the late Duke was hospitalized.
So inspite of whatever issues the Sussexes have with courtiers or even family members- they never stopped being a family and they never stopped caring.

And in spite of all this caring, Harry claimed someone in his family made racist remarks and that the family and Palace wouldn't get his wife help when she was suicidal....

I am not sure how "easy" it was for Meghan in the late stages of a pregnancy. It is subject to speculation; Zara was very visibly uncomfortable in her pregnancy with her second child, during the Sussex wedding. What Meghan needs to do now is to ensure her health and safety and that of her unborn child and on doctor's orders. I myself when I watched the funeral did not give any thought to the wreath story, I watched the service and left it at that.

Since she didn't come, how was it difficult for her? She is in LA watching on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan did also have a miscarriage last year and because she is in the late stages could not travel on doctor's orders. Plus COVID is still there. Not ordinary times. I don't know why the wreath was a problem, it came from the Sussexes, both of them.

The wreath wasn’t a problem. It was a thoughtful gesture and there was clearly a lot of thought put into it. The problem was not the wreath but the need to publicize it and share all the details. That was entirely unnecessary and was nothing short of self-serving.

The wreath wasn't a problem - it was lovely, and I liked that it was so colorful. The press release about it was a problem, and the timing of that press release was an even bigger one. I don't think anyone on here has said Meghan should have attended.

Yes I too have yet to see anything on this site in which any poster stated that Meghan should have flown to the UK and attended the funeral.

When Harry flies commercial does he have security with him? Buy the seat(s) next to him? And I wonder if the newspaper and tabloid headlines cause him to think about how much chaos his move to California and the interview has caused?

The wreath wasn’t a problem. It was a thoughtful gesture and there was clearly a lot of thought put into it. The problem was not the wreath but the need to publicize it and share all the details. That was entirely unnecessary and was nothing short of self-serving.

Maybe it's just me but the BBC didn't make a fuss over the wreath at all. They were focused on the funeral and were respectfully quiet during most of it and just basically was a window into the funeral proceedings. It's the American coverage and the tabloids that, IMO, seem to jump on the unnecessary tidbits and had blubbering and blathering talking heads throughout and made a fuss about Meghan and the wreath.

The stark difference between royal culture and celebrity culture stood out in its differences depending on who you turned to for information.

To be honest, I believe that the Queen would have felt more comfort from the wreath from "Daisy" rather than the hand written note from Meghan. Those that were/are close to the family don't feel the need to publicize their condolences for any reason because they're for the family alone.

This is what makes the Sussex PR team releasing the information reek of it being done to generate publicity rather than done to actually console the family. For me, it's kind of a "so what" kind of story. Doesn't impress me in the least. ;)

Like you, the leaking of the information of the wreath's details leaves me feeling cold. It just seems very self serving. I can't help thinking of a story I heard about Prince Philip. Where he told Catherine, when she married William, not to look at photographers at events. That they weren't what was important, the people there to see them were what what was important. More and more Meghan and Harry seem like look at photographers people.

Well a few front pages are claiming Harry, William and Charles met up for almost 2 hours today (yesterday?). And according to the Telegraph there will be a summit held soon to discuss if “part time royals” can happen in the future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...de-future-monarchy-led-prince-charles-prince/

So maybe what Harry wanted for himself might be possible for Louis, Charlotte, etc when they come of age.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Maybe it's just me but the BBC didn't make a fuss over the wreath at all. They were focused on the funeral and were respectfully quiet during most of it and just basically was a window into the funeral proceedings. It's the American coverage and the tabloids that, IMO, seem to jump on the unnecessary tidbits and had blubbering and blathering talking heads throughout and made a fuss about Meghan and the wreath.

The stark difference between royal culture and celebrity culture stood out in its differences depending on who you turned to for information.

It’s not about just how much coverage the wreath actually got IMO. (Which is plenty now from what I’ve seen; I’ve seen TV and internet stories cover this.) It’s that Meghan herself felt the need to publicize the extent of her thoughtfulness as a funeral was beginning- of all times. In general- I don’t think she should have done it all, but the timing made it worse. As another poster said- it’s self- serving. It’s putting attention on herself. It’s what it tells me about her and her values.

Meghan apparently felt the world needs to know just what a thoughtful person she is. And they needed to know as a funeral was beginning. So, lots of people will have at least heard. It wasn’t enough to actually just be thoughtful. Or for the family to know. No- EVERYONE needs to know how much effort she put into it. And I’m sure it did take time and thought. But...why say it at all. No one else did. Only her.

Last edited:
Like you, the leaking of the information of the wreath's details leaves me feeling cold. It just seems very self serving. I can't help thinking of a story I heard about Prince Philip. Where he told Catherine, when she married William, not to look at photographers at events. That they weren't what was important, the people there to see them were what what was important. More and more Meghan and Harry seem like look at photographers people.

I think that's a good observation. If this is actually the case, then Harry and Meghan are exactly where they need to be as that's what they can and will do. It has no place in the working of the "Firm" and, IMO, the "Firm" is better off without them.

It is one thing to use being royalty to further oneself in celebrity culture and a horse of a totally different color to be royalty and to use that privilege to be of service to people. The difference will always be starkly noticed.

You know, I thought the same thing when I read that story about Philip and Catherine. I think the actual comparison was related to Diana playing to the cameras. But- I thought it seems to relate to the Sussexes too. Unfortunately.

Does anyone know why, as soon as they lifted the casket to go in and started upstairs, Harry went to stand behind William? It looked awkward for both him and the Earl of Snowdon to weave and trade places.

Does anyone know why, as soon as they lifted the casket to go in and started upstairs, Harry went to stand behind William? It looked awkward for both him and the Earl of Snowdon to weave and trade places.

Most likely because the entrance to the quire didn't allow for three persons walking next to each other; unlike the wider streets of Windsor castle.

So, to be able to enter they had to rearrange in pairs of 2. I thought it all went smoothly. Andrew and Edward moved back to be behind their older brother and sister again. Harry moved back to be behind his older cousin and brother; and David (who had been paired with Timothy up until that point) moved up to walk next to Harry leaving the final place in the procession for the duke's son-in-law.

Originally Posted by Moran said:

Most likely because the entrance to the quire didn't allow for three persons walking next to each other; unlike the wider streets of Windsor castle.

So, to be able to enter they had to rearrange in pairs of 2. I thought it all went smoothly. Andrew and Edward moved back to be behind their older brother and sister again. Harry moved back to be behind his older cousin and brother; and David (who had been paired with Timothy up until that point) moved up to walk next to Harry leaving the final place in the procession for the duke's son-in-law.

It was mentioned somewhere that it was what the arrangement was. On entering the Church, they were going to walk in pairs of 2s.

You know, I thought the same thing when I read that story about Philip and Catherine. I think the actual comparison was related to Diana playing to the cameras. But- I thought it seems to relate to the Sussexes too. Unfortunately.

The original story did apparently reference Diana, I believe Philip said Diana was a look at the photographers person, but I do think it sadly applies to H & M as well.

I think that's all there was to it. There wasn't enough room to walk three abreast inside the chapel, especially as no-one's supposed to be getting too close because of Covid restrictions.

Being thousands of miles away in California should should have made it easier, not harder, to avoid doing anything inappropriate or attention-grabbing. Kate at least had to sit through the ceremony and then walk back with cameras focused on her the entire time. All Meghan had to do was not issue a press release.

Obviously they didn't stop the funeral to announce "That wreath over there was sent by Meghan, done by the same florist she used for Archie's christening... " and then listed all the flowers. And I don't imagine any of the guests were aware of it at the time, since they all had better manners than to whip out their phones to check the media coverage. That doesn't change the fact that Meghan - who, as you said, wasn't even there - has managed make herself a centerpiece of media coverage of an event that had nothing to do with her, and that she didn't even attend. If that had happened without her doing anything because the media is obsessed with her, that wouldn't be her fault, and it wouldn't be fair to criticize her for it. But it didn't - it happened because she thought it appropriate to issue a press release (anonymously, for some reason) about her contribution to Philip's funeral while that funeral was happening.
It's perception. Imo, there is nothing attention grabbing about the details of the wreath. Even the stories that have come out since about the wreath just add to the many stories that have been written about the late Duke. It is only being magnified on some forum and some social media. Storm in a shot glass

I get the reasoning. It's the exchange that looked awkward to me. I didn't see the same thing you did. I saw Harry falling back behind Peter and then moving behind William, whereupon the man who was already behind William (David?) moved to take place behind Peter. The diagonaling from both men looked strange. I don't think anyone's back was more interesting or talkative than anyone else's, so I was wondering about a protocol reason. But perhaps it was just a last moment's realization that it would be hard to fit the three of them. Protocol takes tradition into consideration and COVID is a very recent addition to our lives, so it might have not been fully accounted for.

Last edited:
And in spite of all this caring, Harry claimed someone in his family made racist remarks and that the family and Palace wouldn't get his wife help when she was suicidal....
Correct me if I am wrong but Meghan said she went to palace insiders/courtiers for help. There was no mention of going to family. Let's flip the switch, despite them feeling they have been wronged- Harry and Meghan still showed they cared.

For me they all acted weird. Only Kate looked perfect all the time. She really is great at her job and understand her role. It's disappointing Harry's leaving so soon, it sends a clear message. But honestly, he is more irrelevant than ever and Meghan - I'm so sorry for saying this - but was never built for this life. Too about herself, too about staring at cameras. If Harry belongs to that world I'm happy we have the Royals without her.

I think ABC TV Channel 7 did a great job. The other channels had a lot of voiceovers. And ABC really projected the music. This in answer to American TV coverage (above). I flipped channels and ABC did the best.

Last edited:
It's perception. Imo, there is nothing attention grabbing about the details of the wreath. Even the stories that have come out since about the wreath just add to the many stories that have been written about the late Duke. It is only being magnified on some forum and some social media. Storm in a shot glass

Meghan wasted her time letting it out then if nobody is interested.

I find it quite interesting that a number of posters are disappointed in Meghans action with regards announcing the wreath, imagine the different attitude if the information had came out a few days after the funeral with for example an article about various wreaths but noting the thoughtfulness in the choice of flowers in the Sussex wreath. I am sure we would have viewed it differently.
We would have been saying what a lovely thought, which is probably what Meghan thought she was going to hear.Timing is everything

It didn't follow the pattern that the papers had printed about how they were going to turn and enter the chapel - Harry was never behind William in those formations, he was supposed to be on the other side. But I don't think it really matters.

I get the reasoning. It's the exchange that looked awkward to me. I didn't see the same thing you did. I saw Harry falling back behind Peter and then moving behind William, whereupon the man who was already behind William (David?) moved to take place behind Peter. The diagonaling from both men looked strange. I don't think anyone's back was more interesting or talkative than anyone else's, so I was wondering about a protocol reason. But perhaps it was just a last moment's realization that it would be hard to fit the three of them. Protocol takes tradition into consideration and COVID is a very recent addition to our lives, so it might have not been fully accounted for.

It surely was thought out before and not a sudden realization (in that case they wouldn't have done the diagonal); especially since it was clear that they made a specific configuration for the 1 minute of silence. There was indeed a protocol reason: Harry was higher in precedence as grandson versus nephew, so that is why he had to walk on the right and David on the left. Theoretically they could have switched Peter and William as well - but I guess they figured that they both were grandsons, so didn't bother switching places.

It didn't follow the pattern that the papers had printed about how they were going to turn and enter the chapel - Harry was never behind William in those formations, he was supposed to be on the other side. But I don't think it really matters.
The papers didn't print anything about how they would enter St George's Chapel. Nor that the 4 children would be in one line during the 1 minute of silence. The palace only stated that AFTER the procession, the members of the royal family would enter the church. And they did. The 6 staff members that also participated in the procession for example didn't enter.

Harry was ALWAYS lower in precedence; with the person on the right taking precedence over the person on the left. So, it was only logical that he was the one to move back when they had to reduce the number to 2. Had James walked with his cousins, Harry and James would have been paired up. However, because James didn't walk, Harry was positioned next to his cousin and brother.

Last edited:
I am glad that the Charles and his son’s talked. I’m sure Gayle King will fill the world in on details of their conversation tomorrow morning :lol:

As far as the group goes, I am sure it will discuss the possibility of part-time royals— but for Charlotte and Louis. After, everything that’s happened H&M will not be doing royal duties anytime soon, quite possibly ever.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 1917 LP are updated by the Queen in her reign. If they’re going to decide that Archie and his sister do not need to be HRH it will have to be before Charles becomes King. It will be a PR nightmare to strip titles and styled from them after they already have them.

I wanted to add, this is from Rebecca English. If she’s referring to the Kay article I posted above, there’s nothing in it about Charles meeting with his sons. Then again, the above article was posted this afternoon, so it may not be the same one

In tomorrow’s #DailyMail, the Queen faces her loneliest birthday as she turns 95 on Wednesday. Routine and family visits will get through the day.
We also reveal how estranged brothers William and Harry spoke for up to two hours with their father, the Prince of Wales, on Saturday

“Some reports yesterday said that neither his aunt Princess Anne nor his uncle Prince Edward acknowledged Harry before or during the service.“

We, of course, have no way of knowing if this is true but I can’t say I’d be even a little bit surprised if it is. Anne very much seems the type to be more than angry and irritated with the way he and Meghan have behaved and at their timing and lack thereof. She doesn’t suffer fools easily and I doubt she really has much use force these two any longer. As for Edward, I’ve long gotten the impression that he and Sophie are close to the Cambridges and even to Charles and Camilla and we know how close they are/were to HM and the late DoE. I think there might very well be an element of loyalty happening there and they probably don’t have much use for Harry and Meghan right now, either.

“Some reports yesterday said that neither his aunt Princess Anne nor his uncle Prince Edward acknowledged Harry before or during the service.“

We, of course, have no way of knowing if this is true but I can’t say I’d be even a little bit surprised if it is. Anne very much seems the type to be more than angry and irritated with the way he and Meghan have behaved and at their timing and lack thereof. She doesn’t suffer fools easily and I doubt she really has much use force these two any longer. As for Edward, I’ve long gotten the impression that he and Sophie are close to the Cambridges and even to Charles and Camilla and we know how close they are/were to HM and the late DoE. I think there might very well be an element of loyalty happening there and they probably don’t have much use for Harry and Meghan right now, either.

I agree with this, though being frosty and having the feud play out in front of a fragile and vulnerable Queen isn’t a great idea. There’s a middle ground between being cold and being affectionate and warm, and I think that should have been the road taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom