The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be quite nice if he could see the children before he went. They must wonder why Uncle Harry's disappeared from their lives, assuming they haven't even been doing Zoom calls.

Not sure if the details were revealed. It doesn't take a genius to identify flowers. If they ID the right flowers. It wouldn't be the first time a big hoopla was made over information that turned out to be false!
The information was released by The Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-had-part-prince-philips-funeral-handwritten/
And they mentioned it comes from "source close to the Sussexes".

The Telegraph is not a tabloid. They check their stories and check their sources, so if they claim that this information was relayed to them by a someone close to the Sussexes, I can't see them lying about it. It's not Daily Mail.

It'd be quite nice if he could see the children before he went. They must wonder why Uncle Harry's disappeared from their lives, assuming they haven't even been doing Zoom calls.

Accordig ot the Corden interview they were in touch with teh queen adn Philip at least...

Unfortunately, family rifts have far reaching effects. It would be nice if Harry were in touch with the children, but there was probably a gradual withdrawal from their lives when he married Meghan - especially after he and Meghan moved to Frogmore.

I really just wish they would go away .. after that horrific interview I found his presence at the Prince Philips funeral offensive ... he maybe. as some say "family"but I think he has played his hand and they both are a disgrace IMO

Well, I think we can be sure now that Harry and Meghan’s camp definitely released those details. Scobie has now spoken about it and confirmed it.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Philips-funeral-friend-Omid-Scobie-says.html

This is a link to Omid's podcast, the discussion of the wreath starts around 44:30. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...nce-philips-life/id1354474880?i=1000517569536

Because she wasn't there in person, I can understand why Meghan would want the family to know the amount of love, thought and effort she made but announcing why is it so important that she share it with the world yesterday? Weren't leaks like this the reason she cut off her father?

I´m not sure if all members of this family care about what The Queen or the late Duke wanted...! Otherwise things like leaving roles as senior Royals without consulting her and other gaffes in the past would never had happened. At some point I wondered how much influence or authority The Queen had at all in this family..?! I think the idea of "HM is not amused" everybody obeying the sovereign is a myth these days...

I'd like to think that the members of the royal family are able to compartmentalize things. The ability to differentiate between Elizabeth as their monarch and as their mother and grandmother. Harry's talked about this before where he's even stated that the Queen is more the "boss" than he sees her as a grandmother.

When it came to the funeral, they all may have realized that whatever hurt, whatever bad feelings and whatever repercussions happened were due to the "working" side of things and that saying farewell to the patriarch of the family has no relation to the "Firm" side of things. They were all there for Philip and they all experienced a deep loss

When it came down to the family side of things, it was Philip that had the influence and the authority and even the Queen deferred to him in family matters. He was the proverbial head of the household. It definitely was a day where everyone saw Elizabeth as "Mama" "Granny" and "Aunt Lilibet" rather than HM, The Queen.

We may never know what the family feels about each other but what we saw walking back from St. George's Chapel to the castle was two brothers that were able to talk to each other comfortably for a short amount of time. It may only show that the situation has been accepted. It may only show that they were putting on a act. It may only show that there's a possibility for healing rifts but the key word here is *may*. If Harry is in any way wise, he'd keep things to himself rather than have Scobie give all the details as soon as he hits US soil again.

Sigh. The Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester among many others weren't able to be their either and have known him much longer than Meghan. I'm sure they "did their bit" in private and didn't feel the need to tell the world.

A month ago the family was being told "this is it" and they still went ahead and did the interview (filmed whilst he was in hospital) and the aftermath. Now her friends are telling the world how much she truly loved him. It's all much too much over the top.

Again, a lovely tribute and she's in a difficult position but it's also one of their own making.

Unfortunately, family rifts have far reaching effects. It would be nice if Harry were in touch with the children, but there was probably a gradual withdrawal from their lives when he married Meghan - especially after he and Meghan moved to Frogmore.
The information was released by The Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-had-part-prince-philips-funeral-handwritten/
And they mentioned it comes from "source close to the Sussexes".

The Telegraph is not a tabloid. They check their stories and check their sources, so if they claim that this information was relayed to them by a someone close to the Sussexes, I can't see them lying about it. It's not Daily Mail.
Ok. I stand corrected

It is sad but for some reason Meghan needs the world to know that she was involved, why does every event have to be about Meghan, it would appear that she isn't happy with the Queen and the family knowing that they sent flowers and put a great deal of thought in to them.
Is she trying to give the impression to the public that all is well within the family, she has decided to forgive them and has sent lovely thoughtful flowers so everything is alright now.

It is sad but for some reason Meghan needs the world to know that she was involved, why does every event have to be about Meghan, it would appear that she isn't happy with the Queen and the family knowing that they sent flowers and put a great deal of thought in to them.
Is she trying to give the impression to the public that all is well within the family, she has decided to forgive them and has sent lovely thoughtful flowers so everything is alright now.

To be honest, I believe that the Queen would have felt more comfort from the wreath from "Daisy" rather than the hand written note from Meghan. Those that were/are close to the family don't feel the need to publicize their condolences for any reason because they're for the family alone.

This is what makes the Sussex PR team releasing the information reek of it being done to generate publicity rather than done to actually console the family. For me, it's kind of a "so what" kind of story. Doesn't impress me in the least. ;)

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

I'd like to think that the members of the royal family are able to compartmentalize things. The ability to differentiate between Elizabeth as their monarch and as their mother and grandmother. Harry's talked about this before where he's even stated that the Queen is more the "boss" than he sees her as a grandmother.

When it came to the funeral, they all may have realized that whatever hurt, whatever bad feelings and whatever repercussions happened were due to the "working" side of things and that saying farewell to the patriarch of the family has no relation to the "Firm" side of things. They were all there for Philip and they all experienced a deep loss

When it came down to the family side of things, it was Philip that had the influence and the authority and even the Queen deferred to him in family matters. He was the proverbial head of the household. It definitely was a day where everyone saw Elizabeth as "Mama" "Granny" and "Aunt Lilibet" rather than HM, The Queen.

We may never know what the family feels about each other but what we saw walking back from St. George's Chapel to the castle was two brothers that were able to talk to each other comfortably for a short amount of time. It may only show that the situation has been accepted. It may only show that they were putting on a act. It may only show that there's a possibility for healing rifts but the key word here is *may*. If Harry is in any way wise, he'd keep things to himself rather than have Scobie give all the details as soon as he hits US soil again.

I suspect the family does know how to compartmentalize. HM vs Grandma. Family vs Family business.

However- I disagree that all the issues are with the working side. It may have started that way, but it isn’t now. Here’s one example: Harry and Meghan didn’t restrict themselves to complaining about the family business. That racism comment was personal. It was from a personal conversation. It was made public. And when they made it they dragged EVERYONE into it. Everyone. People’s kids had to go to school after that. Think of Louise and James. The Philips girls. It was personal. Worse- Philip and HM were dragged into it until Harry clarified....after the fact. That wasn’t business.

I do agree that if Harry was wise, he’d keep quiet. But someone.... I guess Meghan seeing as floral details would be more up her alley....has already felt the public needed to know the thought put into the flower arrangement. I understand if she wanted the family to know. I don’t see how that translates to telling the world the day of the funeral. She drew attention to herself IMO. She seems to have a need for the public to sympathize with her and see how wonderful she is. I feel like it takes some of the true thoughtfulness out of a thoughtful gesture when you inform the world of your thoughtfulness. What was the purpose behind the gesture?

Last edited:
Good grief, was this really necessary ? “Did her bit” ? It’s like she feels she had to prove something....sigh

Everyone is making money off them, shame. Omid is very annoying, with his "Prince Harry" and the "The Cambridges", why would he not call them Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge? This is so disrespectful. It's on his podcast.

Last edited:
Everyone is making money off them, shame. Omid is very annoying, with his "Prince Harry" and the "The Cambridges", why not would he not call them Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge? This is so disrespectful. It's on his podcast.

The propaganda couldn't have been more obvious.

I suspect the family does know how to compartmentalize. HM vs Grandma. Family vs Family business.

However- I disagree that all the issues are with the working side. It may have started that way, but it isn’t now. Here’s one example: Harry and Meghan didn’t restrict themselves to complaining about the family business. That racism comment was personal. It was from a personal conversation. It was made public. And when they made it they dragged EVERYONE into it. Everyone. People’s kids had to go to school after that. Think of Louise and James. The Philips girls. It was personal. Worse- Philip and HM were dragged into it until Harry clarified....after the fact. That wasn’t business.

I do agree that if Harry was wise, he’d keep quiet. But someone.... I guess Meghan seeing as floral details would be more up her alley....has already felt the public needed to know the thought put into the flower arrangement. I understand if she wanted the family to know. I don’t see how that translates to telling the world the day of the funeral. She drew attention to herself IMO. She seems to have a need for the public to sympathize with her and see how wonderful she is. I feel like it takes some of the true thoughtfulness out of a thoughtful gesture when you inform the world of your thoughtfulness. What was the purpose behind the gesture?

Worst of all was the implication that they were referring to Charles and William being racist. I don’t know that they meant that as I’m sure Harry at least knows it’s not true, but by saying HM and Philip weren’t the ones, everyone assumed it was either his father or brother. Then the fact that he doesn’t think his father supports him - it’s just like when Charles did the Dimbleby interview; his parents were deeply hurt. I do believe they’ll overcome this, but nonetheless, it’s very personal.

I agree with your last point. I think she was probably being sincere in her gestures, but there’s no need to point it out...unless she felt a need to prove that she cares because she doesn’t want people to think she doesn’t.

What exactly is disrespectful about calling them Prince Harry and the Cambridges.

Worst of all was the implication that they were referring to Charles and William being racist. I don’t know that they meant that as I’m sure Harry at least knows it’s not true, but by saying HM and Philip weren’t the ones, everyone assumed it was either his father or brother. Then the fact that he doesn’t think his father supports him - it’s just like when Charles did the Dimbleby interview; his parents were deeply hurt. I do believe they’ll overcome this, but nonetheless, it’s very personal.

I agree with your last point. I think she was probably being sincere in her gestures, but there’s no need to point it out...unless she felt a need to prove that she cares because she doesn’t want people to think she doesn’t.

I think its rather late to show "sincere" support gestures. They had a year in America to sort out their lives, they had escaped from the place where they were unhappy.. and yet they still clearly carried a load of angry grudges about the Palace and the RF as a whole and poured them all out and did it in such a way that they denigrated everyone in the family... and at the time they must have known that Philip was very ill and hadn't long to live... Even if they felt that they had legitimate grudges that wasn't the time to put them out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed to read that it is reported that Harry will fly back tomorrow, and wonder if his doing so so close to his widowed grandmother’s birthday will set back any attempts that might have been made to mend relationships. He’s missed most of the last 18 months of his grandfather’s life and not knowing how much longer his grandmother will be around for or when travel without essential circumstances like these will really be possible, it’s sad that he can’t spare another week to be around for her birthday. The first events without someone hurt a lot and HM has the added sorrow of her birthday being so soon after she lost him. Meghan is pregnant but if the birth was imminent, there would surely have been no medical advice needed to rule her out of attending the funeral.

William, Kate and Harry yesterday reminded me of old times for a moment, but I’m now thinking it had to be that way so as for William and Harry not to overshadow their grandparents today.

Meghan came into the family and there was such hope for modernisation. Now I fear with the stepping back after so little time and Oprah that it’ll have done the opposite and more will find themselves in the position of Margaret et al and told they can’t have their first choice of spouse.

I could see most of the blame for the way things have turned out being put onto Meghan. Harry is one of their own and seemed uncomfortable in the interview (although as with any family some members are likely to be more objective about where the fault lies than others.)

The funeral really emphasized the contrast between Kate and Meghan. Kate, who has at least as much reason to be angry with Harry and Meghan as anyone else, subtly made an opportunity to encourage William and Harry to patch things up. Meghan, whose behavior is a large part of the reason for their strained relationship, found yet another way to make it worse. Granted, it's minor compared to everything she's done up to that point, and her intent probably wasn't to cause problems. But her intent was to make herself look good in the media, and as usual, she didn't look one single millimeter past that to consider whether it was appropriate or what impact it might have on others.

Harry and Meghan also have their own grievances. Kate and William visibly snubbed them at the service earlier this year.If Kate wants things patched up, it should be when Harry and Meghan are both there and she speaks to both of them. Hopefully there will be a chance down the road. Harry and William have not always gotten on pre Meghan and have their own falling outs. Harry also was the one who complained about his father during the interview. I don't know why the onus is put on Meghan, Harry was not happy with William and vice versa. I think the ones who are responsible for the strained relationships and the ones who can repair it are the brothers. I don't think Meghan should be blamed and she take the brunt of the criticism. Kate glaring at Harry and Meghan did not help matters any. There can be personality clashes but one of them should not be labeled the cause of it all. there is blame to go around.

Last edited:
What exactly is disrespectful about calling them Prince Harry and the Cambridges.
Agreed. We all do the same thing here.

The funeral really emphasized the contrast between Kate and Meghan. Kate, who has at least as much reason to be angry with Harry and Meghan as anyone else, subtly made an opportunity to encourage William and Harry to patch things up. Meghan, whose behavior is a large part of the reason for their strained relationship, found yet another way to make it worse. Granted, it's minor compared to everything she's done up to that point, and her intent probably wasn't to cause problems. But her intent was to make herself look good in the media, and as usual, she didn't look one single millimeter past that to consider whether it was appropriate or what impact it might have on others.
I beg to differ. You can't compare the two women as it was not an equal playing field. If Meghan was at the funeral fine but she is not- she is heavily pregnant thousands of miles away in California.

Furthermore, forums and social media seems to be the only place outraged over "wreath-gate". I watched the funeral on the Daily Mail Live and they were only briefly shown alongside the other wreaths. It didn't detract from the funeral or any of its elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan did also have a miscarriage last year and because she is in the late stages could not travel on doctor's orders. Plus COVID is still there. Not ordinary times. I don't know why the wreath was a problem, it came from the Sussexes, both of them.

Disappointed to read that it is reported that Harry will fly back tomorrow, and wonder if his doing so so close to his widowed grandmother’s birthday will set back any attempts that might have been made to mend relationships. He’s missed most of the last 18 months of his grandfather’s life and not knowing how much longer his grandmother will be around for or when travel without essential circumstances like these will really be possible, it’s sad that he can’t spare another week to be around for her birthday. The first events without someone hurt a lot and HM has the added sorrow of her birthday being so soon after she lost him. Meghan is pregnant but if the birth was imminent, there would surely have been no medical advice needed to rule her out of attending the funeral.

William, Kate and Harry yesterday reminded me of old times for a moment, but I’m now thinking it had to be that way so as for William and Harry not to overshadow their grandparents today.

Meghan came into the family and there was such hope for modernisation. Now I fear with the stepping back after so little time and Oprah that it’ll have done the opposite and more will find themselves in the position of Margaret et al and told they can’t have their first choice of spouse.

I could see most of the blame for the way things have turned out being put onto Meghan. Harry is one of their own and seemed uncomfortable in the interview (although as with any family some members are likely to be more objective about where the fault lies than others.)

Honestly, I was kind of pleasantly surprised that he stayed the extra day as I was concerned he might leave today. I would have liked him to have stayed a few extra days, but I guess that was really never going to be. I do hope that he and his father got to spend some time together.

No one ever knows when it will be the last time they see their loved ones, which IMO ought to at least start the healing process. Charles isn’t a baby, and even though he has incredible genes, still you never know. Same could be said for everyone else, even William, who’s a young man.

Hopefully this won’t have been the last time we see Harry here; hopefully he’ll bring his son and daughter with him, next time.

I think Harry and Meghan should both come with the children. Meghan should be welcomed also. Just my thoughts. It would not make or family unity among the clan if the wife and mother of the children does not come. Their son and daughter should go with their parents. Family is important for all. I think it is natural for a man to want to return to his pregnant wife and son. It would not be a good look for the family, if Harry leaves his wife at home and travels with a baby daughter and small son.

Last edited:
I think its rather late to show "sincere" support gestures. They had a year in America to sort out their lives, they had escaped from the place where they were unhappy.. and yet they still clearly carried a load of angry grudges about the Palace and the RF as a whole and poured them all out and did it in such a way that they denigrated everyone in the family... and at the time they must have known that Philip was very ill and hadn't long to live... Even if they felt that they had legitimate grudges that wasn't the time to put them out...
On the contrary, the couple has shown that their support gestures have been on-going. The couple didn't just start recently caring.
For example, Harry reportedly called and reached out to his father when it was revealed Prince Charles had coronavirus, we also know that Harry and William have been talking in collaboration with their mother's memorial statue project for this summer, Harry famously detailed how his late grandfather ended Zoom calls (lol), and in the interview the couple spoke about how they called the Queen when the late Duke was hospitalized.
So inspite of whatever issues the Sussexes have with courtiers or even family members- they never stopped being a family and they never stopped caring.

I beg to differ. You can't compare the two women as it was not an equal playing field. If Meghan was at the funeral fine but she is not- she is heavily pregnant thousands of miles away in California.

Furthermore, forums and social media seems to be the only place outraged over "wreath-gate". I watched the funeral on the Daily Mail Live and they were only briefly shown alongside the other wreaths. It didn't detract from the funeral or any of its elements.

Being thousands of miles away in California should should have made it easier, not harder, to avoid doing anything inappropriate or attention-grabbing. Kate at least had to sit through the ceremony and then walk back with cameras focused on her the entire time. All Meghan had to do was not issue a press release.

Obviously they didn't stop the funeral to announce "That wreath over there was sent by Meghan, done by the same florist she used for Archie's christening... " and then listed all the flowers. And I don't imagine any of the guests were aware of it at the time, since they all had better manners than to whip out their phones to check the media coverage. That doesn't change the fact that Meghan - who, as you said, wasn't even there - has managed make herself a centerpiece of media coverage of an event that had nothing to do with her, and that she didn't even attend. If that had happened without her doing anything because the media is obsessed with her, that wouldn't be her fault, and it wouldn't be fair to criticize her for it. But it didn't - it happened because she thought it appropriate to issue a press release (anonymously, for some reason) about her contribution to Philip's funeral while that funeral was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom