The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The royal family loves Harry and will always take him back. Harry is free to make his choices, and BRF may like it or not.
I believe that Harry now enjoys being close to his family until he returns to his wife and children.
I'm pretty sure that Harry has already regretted (or will still regret) the interview he and Meghan gave to Oprah.
It is not yet known when Harry will return to the United States?

Harry can't have seen anyting of his family during his week of isolation..nad I would not be sanguine about things improving. He clearly had much more anger and issues about his family and royal life than anyone would have guessed...

It was good to see the three of them together but I don't think we can read anything into it other than they have made sure to put everything else aside and concentrate on their grandparents.
TV.

Agreed. I’m not reading anything into it. It was nice to see, but one would hope they could set their issues aside and celebrate the life of a man they both loved, maybe share memories, and be supportive to their grandmother and to the rest of the family and be able to converse with each other in the course of doing so. They didn’t/don’t have to, of course, but I would have hoped so and am glad to see that.

Maybe it is a start though. There’s clearly a lot of water under that bridge though.

It is still an improvement over that Commonwealth service where he literally looked like he could kill.

Yes. Very true. It is an improvement.

But this was also the funeral of their grandfather. I’m sure the focus was rightly on that- not on their issues. I would not have expected to see them glaring at each other or showing signs of being angry.

Whereas the commonwealth service was the Sussexes last engagement as working royals....very different situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the way the "bubbles" mixed on their way back, having taken off the masks, may tell there will be a meeting for the family members. sure they have all been tested if not vaccined already anyway and some had covid already...

I wonder how they (W&K) deal with the children. If there is really a rift plus Covid and Mexit, they haven't seen Uncle Harry for probably a very long period since H&M left.
Though normally one keeps the kids out if adult's troubles things are here mire complicated,
but maybe nobody is wary about Harry anyway.
Hope they all had a good week though grieving.

Yes. Very true. It is an improvement.

But this was also the funeral of their grandfather. I’m sure the focus was rightly on that- not on their issues. I would not have expected to see them glaring at each other or showing signs of being angry.

Whereas the commonwealth service was the Sussexes last engagement as working royals....very different situations.

No, I agree about the difference in situations. However, the reason I called it an improvement was because they could've just avoided one another if they wanted to.
Regardless, it was kind of cute how Harry naturally gravitated towards William, even walking in between him and Kate...lol. It was nice to see him keeping up with William.

If you observe, Kate moved away, giving them space. That woman deserves so much credit, I can't even begin to tell.

No, I agree about the difference in situations. However, the reason I called it an improvement was because they could've just avoided one another if they wanted to.
Regardless, it was kind of cute how Harry naturally gravitated towards William, even walking in between him and Kate...lol. It was nice to see him keeping up with William.

If you observe, Kate moved away, giving them space. That woman deserves so much credit, I can't even begin to tell.

True. They absolutely could have just ignored each other. It’s nice that they didn’t. I just didn’t expect to see any glaring at each other either. Not the time or the place for their personal issues to spill over. My expectation was that they could and would park that at the door at a minimum and focus on why they were there.

The nice part to me was that they talked. They could have totally ignored each other. But one would think/hope that at your grandfather’s funeral you could be civil and converse- at the least about him, their grandmother, the service itself, how to be supportive....something. But that is certainly not a given at family funerals when there’s tension between various members. That’s for sure.

Philip said to his biographer that he was glad William found such a “level headed girl.” Everything about Catherine suggests to me that she is indeed quite level headed. So- not surprised to see her giving them space to say whatever they wanted.

I also give Peter Phillips a world of credit, whether by plan or not, he held his distance back from the brothers just enough that they were more side-by-side. Well done to this family :britflag:

I hope that Harry stays to celebrate his grandmother's 95th birthday next Wednesday. That would be a lovely gesture to make and mean more time with the family.

Harry has a family of his own now. COVID has changed a lot of family dynamics about travel. Harry's UK family if they want to take Harry back will need to also take his wife and son and soon to be born daughter. There have been other TV interviews pre Harry and Meghan and things were smoothed out eventually. I would hope that once COVID is over, there will be more visits and Harry can bring his family and they can stay and visit. Even if he decides not live in the UK they can still all visit. I think both decided to talk and even without Catherine or Peter it still would have happened.

Last edited:
My cynical side tells me it was a well orchestrated PR stunt, but i can't deny it was very nice to see them side by side.
We all know members in our own families who act differently with or without their spouses. I guess Harry is one of them.

I am inclined to think it was strategically done by the Duchess of Cambridge for her and William to sandwich Prince Harry and then for her to drop off and go with the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise.

That way the media can see the brothers talking and in pleasant moods. Very clever Kate!

Eh...Speculation.....

Don't really want to be side tracked, but the UK media speculating or suggesting what may or may not be going on is very different, in my opinion, to Gayle repeating on national television a conversation she had with Meghan or Harry.

Exactly. Anonymous sources, or directly from Harry or Meghan's mouth is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Nobody knows what was said. I don't think Kate "engineered it." It would have been worse if they did not speak. Maybe both realized they did need to show some solidarity.

My cynical side tells me it was a well orchestrated PR stunt, but i can't deny it was very nice to see them side by side.
We all know members in our own families who act differently with or without their spouses. I guess Harry is one of them.

I thought the same.
It seemed staged, so the press couldn't say they totally ignored one another.
I suspect they kept to a few innocuous remarks.

One thing I thought was nice, also, was that one of the wreaths that were by the side of where Philip's coffin rested inside the chapel was from The Duchess of Sussex.

With this being such a sad and solemn occasion for the entire family, I sincerely doubt that much thought was given to "optics" and how the press would see things. I'm with those that thought the brothers acted spontaneously. ?

I tend towards thinking it is organic, but I wouldn't put it past the Palace to stage manage the whole thing.

One thing I thought was nice, also, was that one of the wreaths that were by the side of where Philip's coffin rested inside the chapel was from The Duchess of Sussex.

I thought the wreath was nice. The press release about it, including details about how it was the same florist with locally sourced flowers who had done their wedding, right in the middle of the funeral was a bit tacky.

Especially when BP said they weren't commenting on any of the family wreaths.

I thought the wreath was nice. The press release about it, including details about how it was the same florist with locally sourced flowers who had done their wedding, right in the middle of the funeral was a bit tacky.

Especially when BP said they weren't commenting on any of the family wreaths.

There is a press release about it? During the service? That totally reduces the value of it; as apparently it was primarily to promote something/someone; and not to honor the duke - as that could have been done in silence.

There is a press release about it? During the service? That totally reduces the value of it; as apparently it was primarily to promote something/someone; and not to honor the duke - as that could have been done in silence.

I watched the BBC feed and the only time the wreath was mentioned was before the procession even started from the castle. Basically, the BBC feed from inside during the service was focused on what was going on and not too much commentary at all.

Not for me. It seemed organic to me.

I don't think it was planned at all to walk. The cars would not have stay then they would have returned to the castle. You can see them standing around as if undecided what to do and then James and Edward started walking so the others followed.
I think Zara and Mike jumped in a car, which I wish Eugenie had done. She really looked like she was having trouble. Where did Anne and Mark go?
Then they seemed to muddle up a bit as they weren't certain which gate to enter - the Wessex walked to the wrong one and then when they came back were with the Cambridge and people who had crossed at another point were ahead of them.

Personally I think Edward wanted to take James away for a quiet moment. And then the whole family thought it was a lets trek up the hill move. Honestly don't know. It was just odd watching the cars go pass them.

With this being such a sad and solemn occasion for the entire family, I sincerely doubt that much thought was given to "optics" and how the press would see things. I'm with those that thought the brothers acted spontaneously. ?

There are several wreaths inside the chapel. The Daily Express has a photo of the one side of the pews that show them. There is one from every family. So there is one from the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and children , Duke and Duchess of Sussex and children ect.
It is not specifically from Meghan. To be honest we dont even know if they have identified the correct wreath?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-handwritten-card-wreath-Prince-Philip.html

I watched the BBC feed and the only time the wreath was mentioned was before the procession even started from the castle. Basically, the BBC feed from inside during the service was focused on what was going on and not too much commentary at all.

Thanks, so at least not during the service as I feared based on the post I replied to; but still I wonder why those details needed to be revealed.

I watched the live coverage on The Royal Family's own YouTube-channel, so no commentary at all. Which was very peaceful I must say. The only disadvantage was that they cut away after the family left the quire; so no coverage of the family leaving St George's Chapel.

I don't think it was planned at all to walk. The cars would not have stay then they would have returned to the castle. You can see them standing around as if undecided what to do and then James and Edward started walking so the others followed.
I think Zara and Mike jumped in a car, which I wish Eugenie had done. She really looked like she was having trouble. Where did Anne and Mark go?
Then they seemed to muddle up a bit as they weren't certain which gate to enter - the Wessex walked to the wrong one and then when they came back were with the Cambridge and people who had crossed at another point were ahead of them.

Personally I think Edward wanted to take James away for a quiet moment. And then the whole family thought it was a lets trek up the hill move. Honestly don't know. It was just odd watching the cars go pass them.

It wasn’t - it was Charles’ idea to walk as a family

There are several wreaths inside the chapel. The Daily Express has a photo of the one side of the pews that show them. There is one from every family. So there is one from the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and children , Duke and Duchess of Sussex and children ect.
It is not specifically from Meghan. To be honest we dont even know if they have identified the correct wreath?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-handwritten-card-wreath-Prince-Philip.html

I was just going by what the commentary said before the procession even began. They just mentioned that The Duchess of Sussex was unable to attend due to her doctors advising against travel for medical reasons. Then they mentioned the wreath and that the Duchess would be watching from her home in California. Pretty innocuous and straight forward reporting is the feeling I got from it.

I have no idea exactly when the press release about it was put out but there’s articles everywhere about how they commissioned it, the florist was the same one who did their wedding and Archie’s christening, exactly what flowers were used and why, and lots of words about Meghan attaching a handwritten note because she couldn’t be there. I don’t think it was necessary at all to release the information, it should have been a quiet gesture. If it was released during the funeral then it’s even worse. Absolutely all of today’s attention should have been focused on Windsor and the late DoE, not on Montecito and Meghan.

ETA: Looking at the time stamps on the articles it does appear that they all hit right at the time of the funeral so I’d guess that’s when the information was shared with the press.

Last edited:
Thanks, so at least not during the service as I feared based on the post I replied to; but still I wonder why those details needed to be revealed.

When I watched it seemed to have been announced on SM and livefeeds from the papers during the procession, along with a whole article of detail on the symbolism of every flower and the symbolism of the choice of florist and a handwritten note by Meghan, so much so that many people were confused and thought the wreath on his casket was Meghan's not The Queens because they hadn't shown the others in the chapel properly, although that part isn't necessarily the Sussexes fault.

No details of the other wreaths were announced either during or before the service. I thought the wreath was lovely but the timing was tacky.

Last edited:

I agree with you. I think it was done to emphasize the point that Meghan has supposedly made: Harry is royal and will always remain royal.

I agree with you. I think it was done to emphasize the point that Meghan has supposedly made: Harry is royal and will always remain royal.

I am sure that its more to show some kind of decent unity in grief. Im sure teh queen doesn't want there to be any sign of coolness in public between her grandson and his brohter or the other members of the family...

I have no idea exactly when the press release about it was put out but there’s articles everywhere about how they commissioned it, the florist was the same one who did their wedding and Archie’s christening, exactly what flowers were used and why, and lots of words about Meghan attaching a handwritten note because she couldn’t be there. I don’t think it was necessary at all to release the information, it should have been a quiet gesture. If it was released during the funeral then it’s even worse. Absolutely all of today’s attention should have been focused on Windsor and the late DoE, not on Montecito and Meghan.

ETA: Looking at the time stamps on the articles it does appear that they all hit right at the time of the funeral so I’d guess that’s when the information was shared with the press.

Who gave these details to the press about this wreath I wonder. Did this happen with the other wreaths as well?

Who gave these details to the press about this wreath I wonder. Did this happen with the other wreaths as well?

As far as I can tell there are only very generalized details about the other wreaths, namely that each family has sent one, i.e. one from Mike and Zara, one from William and Catherine, one from Jack and Eugenie, etc. I haven’t found anything more or anything more detailed about them.

As for who provided all of the details, I’m not sure. I do know that the articles are all identical in the paragraphs describing the flowers and their symbolism and why they were chosen as well as the florist and their connection to Harry and Meghan’s wedding and Archie’s christening. They were also alike in the descriptions of the note that Meghan apparently wrote. Anyway, all that to say that while the articles had some filler that differed by author and/or publication, those details were all identical and clearly came from a release to the press. I also noticed that Scobie retweeted the article about the wreath that was put out by Harper’s Bazaar and given that we know for certain that he’s a mouthpiece for Harry and Meghan I think we can conclude that the details were accurate and provided by their camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom