The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of times when I'm writing a post, I'm not looking to be grammatically correct and will write in what I like to call conversational English. I'll use words like y'know and methinks and ain't (which wasn't in the dictionary when I was growing up). To me, it makes the wording sound more personal as if I was talking rather than writing a professional thesis. This is what I saw in Harry's statement. He was talking about someone very close to his heart and that's what came through for me.

Both statements by the brothers were heartfelt and warm and reflective of a very warm and loving relationship with their grandfather. That is really all that matters. For all we know, once Harry landed and was in isolation at Frogmore, he was in contact with William and they *both* agreed to put out a statement around the same time as a show of solidarity in the loss of a beloved grandparent. We don't know. I just think it's a futile effort to try and dig between the lines and pull up things that may or may not actually be there. One thing I do know is that both of Charles' sons had a warm and loving relationship with their grandfather as did *all* of the House of Windsor and that is what is going to be shown over and over and over again in the upcoming days.

The death of a beloved family member tends to pull people together more than it will drive them apart.

It’s not supposed to look professional; he’s writing as a grandson...not a businessman
A few years ago I had to write - as a granddaughter - an obituary for my grandmother when she passed away. And no, it didn't look professional in any way, but I would not send it if it wasn't written well. I had someone to make sure I managed to dot the i's and cross the t's, BECAUSE I loved my grandmother dearly and didn't want to put something that wasn't as close to perfect as possible. For me, it's a simple matter of respect and love and care not to publish something until it's ready and done. And Harry - unlike me - has access to a full team who would gladly clear this up for him.

Unfortunately the statement, which could be lovely and I do expect it'll get an "upgrade" in the coming days, was published in haste due to his brother's statement, I think.

I must be rubbish at English, I think it is fine.

A few years ago I had to write - as a granddaughter - an obituary for my grandmother when she passed away. And no, it didn't look professional in any way, but I would not send it if it wasn't written well. I had someone to make sure I managed to dot the i's and cross the t's, BECAUSE I loved my grandmother dearly and didn't want to put something that wasn't as close to perfect as possible. For me, it's a simple matter of respect and love and care not to publish something until it's ready and done. And Harry - unlike me - has access to a full team who would gladly clear this up for him.

Unfortunately the statement, which could be lovely and I do expect it'll get an "upgrade" in the coming days, was published in haste due to his brother's statement, I think.

This poignantly reminds me of when my father died. Being visibly upset and emotional during several long days at the end of my father's life, my mother handed me a pad of paper and pen and told me to get a cup of coffee and just sit there and write out things about my dad. I did. I forgot totally about the pages I had written over the next week but when the priest stood at the lectern and started the eulogy using my words, as written, it warmed my heart that my feelings and emotions about my father were shared. I couldn't have stood up there and read it but hearing those words again gave me comfort.

It also reminds me of what I wrote about my mother and father and I think it very much applies also to Philip and Elizabeth. They were as different as the yolk and the white are but together they made one good egg. :D

I think Camilla Tominey's making a business about nothing there. Why should they have issued a joint statement? No-one expected Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward to issue a joint statement. Each person will have their own memories. "Decipher the coded messages" sounds like something out of an Enid Blyton mystery book.

It is always such a hard time for families writing these things. And eulogies are always so personal, not that these are ones but nevertheless messages from grandsons. I remember a friend whose mother died coming up to me after the funeral asking if I liked the eulogy as theybhave all worked really hard on it. It was beautiful and I told her so .

People just want these things to be perfect for the ones they love.

I think Camilla Tominey's making a business about nothing there. Why should they have issued a joint statement? No-one expected Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward to issue a joint statement. Each person will have their own memories. "Decipher the coded messages" sounds like something out of an Enid Blyton mystery book.

They are all looking into something not there and being highly predictable. Frankly I am glad Harry has to quarantine out of sight for days and was not photographed landing. They clearly reaching for anything since that was a bust.

All the tributes have been lovely. I don't get the point of tearing their emotions apart. Just seems overly petty and extremely unnecessary

Oh, goodness. It really might be a good idea for Meghan to ask her friends to stop speaking to the press, especially right now. This article raises a whole myriad of questions that will now be dissected much in the same vein as the Oprah train wreck. It really was not a good idea to allow her friends to tell the press that Meghan left it up to Harry whether or not she would attend when a statement had already gone out that was perfectly reasonable and acceptable that it was on a doctor’s order. Combine that with some of the other things shared by this friend and I’d say that on the whole, the “friend” really did her no favors. Saying something to the effect of “Meghan advised that the family should come together” really doesn’t come across well. Granted, we can’t know for sure that this is all completely true but given past track records the chances are good that it’s somewhat accurate.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-duke-edinburgh-prince-harry-Royal-Family/amp

Last edited:
I don't think any of her friends are talking to the UK media. In fact many of then have gone on record telling to tabloids to keep their names out their mouths. So I have a hard time buying her "close friend" is talking to a "source" of the Express or Daily Mail.

Sorry but thanks for the laugh.

Meghan and the palace already explained why she is not there. She was not cleared. I get the media is disappointed they were denied more drama but they just grasping at this point.

It is always such a hard time for families writing these things. And eulogies are always so personal, not that these are ones but nevertheless messages from grandsons. I remember a friend whose mother died coming up to me after the funeral asking if I liked the eulogy as theybhave all worked really hard on it. It was beautiful and I told her so .

People just want these things to be perfect for the ones they love.
But they need to know that what they wrote isn't perfect, right? At certain moments, sound judgment on this fails. I've corrected many texts on many occasions professionally but for my own significant moments, my texts were ridden with mistakes and unclear phrases that I would have corrected in everyone else or, honestly, in myself if I was in my right state of mind. But it never occurred to me to give them to someone else to have a look beforehand. Sometimes, people think that because they translated their raw emotions in writing, the result is flawless. It really isn't but it doesn't matter and I don't believe it matters here. I do think Harry saw it as perfect for the occasion.

I'm no fan of Harry, but in all fairness to him, the last few days he's been under stress. I can see why having his words seen by a professional won't be the first thing on his mind, especially now when he can't rely on palace aids to send them to the right person as I suppose he did before.

Last edited:
Could somebody please tell me what I am missing?
Why is this thread still going on about the grammar on Harry's statement.

I think both statements are fine. I keep reading "William vs. Harry" comments in regard to the statements.

Harry’s statement is in Harry’s words and not the PR friendly buzzword salad that we’ve become used to from them. I, for one, applaud him for speaking from his heart about his grandfather. Who cares if it’s not the most professional statement out there— that was a tribute to his grandfather not that launch of a professional endeavor

Harry’s statement is in Harry’s words and not the PR friendly buzzword salad that we’ve become used to from them. I, for one, applaud him for speaking from his heart about his grandfather. Who cares if it’s not the most professional statement out there— that was a tribute to his grandfather not that launch of a professional endeavor

Well said. Harry seems to be damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t here; when he “speaks” from his heart, he’s not polished enough; when he’s polished, he’s too cold...?*♀️

After reading all the negative comments about how poorly the statement was written, I was ready for a disaster. I think it it written in a conversational way and just lovely.

I thought Harry's reflections were just fine. If there was one person who was to comment on the "Jack the Lad" side of HRH the D o E, it would be Harry.

I do not like the whole typeface assortment the D and Dss of Sussex use on their public statements. I think it gets in the way of any sincerity or heartfelt expressions they want to impart.

Both statements were very good, appropriate and heartful. I am more interested in the content than the grammar. I do not see any competition in it. Just two grandsons sending a message to the world with regards the love they both have for their grandfather.

Does it need to be investigated or psycho analysed any more than that.

Why look for things that aren't there.
I agree with you! The media seems to want to find competition between these two brothers in everything. They both wrote what they felt, and I would imagine they weren’t focused on sentence structure and grammar. They both sounded very heartfelt and in character for William and for Harry. I thought they were both lovely.

Oh, goodness. It really might be a good idea for Meghan to ask her friends to stop speaking to the press, especially right now. This article raises a whole myriad of questions that will now be dissected much in the same vein as the Oprah train wreck. It really was not a good idea to allow her friends to tell the press that Meghan left it up to Harry whether or not she would attend when a statement had already gone out that was perfectly reasonable and acceptable that it was on a doctor’s order. Combine that with some of the other things shared by this friend and I’d say that on the whole, the “friend” really did her no favors. Saying something to the effect of “Meghan advised that the family should come together” really doesn’t come across well. Granted, we can’t know for sure that this is all completely true but given past track records the chances are good that it’s somewhat accurate.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-duke-edinburgh-prince-harry-Royal-Family/amp

Supposing the "friend" is real, it doesn't sound like either of them spoke with the Queen. Here's the giveaway:

"Meghan said attending or not attending Prince Philip's funeral isn't going to change her relationship with the Queen. She said the Queen understands her absence and would want her to stay safe and healthy for the baby." Not "The queen wants her to stay safe and healthy for the baby," but "The Queen would want her to stay safe and healthy" and would surely have said so had she been asked, which she was not.

The part about leaving it up to Harry also seems strange. If it's not safe, it's not safe, and that should be the end of it.

I thought Harry's reflections were just fine. If there was one person who was to comment on the "Jack the Lad" side of HRH the D o E, it would be Harry.

I do not like the whole typeface assortment the D and Dss of Sussex use on their public statements. I think it gets in the way of any sincerity or heartfelt expressions they want to impart.
I believe the only reason there was anything stated on their website was to clarify why it 'went grey'. Harry would never have made a personal statement at that time. He knows what is expected following a royal death. Initially there would be a Palace statement from HM. There was. A few days later the PoW made a personal statement and on sunday his sister and two brothers made their personal statements.

In that formality there is unity and coherence which showed when Lady Louise did not engage outside the church rather waiting for her older cousins. In such sad and painful situations following the family sucession makes things easier and helps them cope with the situation in a way that is both proper and personal.

Last edited:
I’m glad he made it back in time to comply with the Covid guidelines and be able to attend his grandfather’s funeral. Let’s hope that the focus will stay on mourning this incredible man and celebrating his life.
I was a junior in college when my own grandfather died. Final exams were the same day as his funeral. My dad insisted that my sister (a freshman) and I stay to take exams; he said that is what my grandfather would have wanted. So my sister and I didn’t go, and I’ve always felt so badly about not being there.
I’m glad Harry can be there to grieve with his family.

This was completely unnecessary and she could have resisted......and it’s garbage, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think William was sending a message to Harry at all, he was just expressing how he felt. Camilla’s desire to stoke the flames is ugly.

I couldn't agree more. This woman's fanciful interpretation of two very different but warm and heartfelt remembrances of their revered grandfather is as ugly as it is ridiculous.

I agree, I was expecting word salad before I read his statement and was pleasantly surprised when it was not.

I couldn't agree more. This woman's fanciful interpretation of two very different but warm and heartfelt remembrances of their revered grandfather is as ugly as it is ridiculous.

I told her how I felt, too - though politely. I generally think she’s very good, so I was surprised that she went there.

In my mind, this has Sunshine Sachs writtn all over it!

Omar Scobie is out there saying Meghan wanted to go to the funeral [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question: we know Daily Mail loves to cite sources that exist only in someone's imagination. But is it different with citing named sources? Aka, are we to think that Scobie and all the other royal experts or "experts" who are cited actually said what the paper claims they did?

Omar Scoobie is out there saying Meghan wanted to go to the funeral [...]

I don't know if she authorised him to say anything this time or he's just trying to fan the flames on his own to keep himself relevant. but it's not unexpected. That's why I was glad the official statement included the words "on medical advice".

I can't believe Meghan really wants to go to the funeral. Maybe she would like to support her husband but she's very pregnant, with a toddler at home, on a transatlantic flight, having to quarantine and present a united front with a family she clearly doesn't like or respect very much, many of whom are probably very upset with her. It's just better for all parties that she stayed at home and left the family to get through this without her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question: we know Daily Mail loves to cite sources that exist only in someone's imagination. But is it different with citing named sources? Aka, are we to think that Scobie and all the other royal experts or "experts" who are cited actually said what the paper claims they did?

If they cite a named source ie "Omid Scobie said X" then it should be evidenced based such as from his own twitter feed or an interview or they could be sued. Doesn't make what Scobie or anyone else said actually factual and quotes can be taken vastly out of context but usually even with the DM if they write "X said Y" then there is some basis in truth.

If they said "royal sources say that Prince Charles said ____" then it's much more open to question as the actual source isn't named and could be anyone from PC himself to his private secretary to the cleaning staff to completely made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom