The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicholas Witchell seemed to think he would come home for the funeral half an hour ago on the BBC but of course he was only guessing.

I am sure the family have been preparing for this since he was in the hospital. So no doubt Harry would have been preparing and made plans just in case he was needed to immediately leave.

The quarantine will be the biggest obstacle though I won't be surprised to learn that they have already been in the UK for a few days. I don't think so but if he has been ill for the past few days, then who knows.

All that said I still think Harry will be in the UK.

I believe it's very tricky. Philip is dead, public is mourning him. I don't know what Machiavelli would do. PR wise Harry should step back from Netflix deals, surfing photo-ops for a while at least till the baby is born. Now I feel like he's dealing with the fact what he lost. All the royals will be there, it's a huge event, it's a reminder he's a prince and his grandfather died. It'll dawn on him even more what he lost.

Provided that the 10-day quarantine is relevant (do we know for sure Harry hasn't travelled back already?), I don't see what would prevent the family from pushing the funeral a few days to ensure that every one of Philip's close relatives can be there.

Pushing the funeral to allow for quarantining could also allow for, say, one Greek and one Danish representative to attend in honour of Philip's background as Prince of Greece and Denmark. That obviously depends on whether the great-grandchildren (or the Queen's cousins) will be there with consideration to the 30 people limit.

I believe it's very tricky. Philip is dead, public is mourning him. I don't know what Machiavelli would do. PR wise Harry should step back from Netflix deals, surfing photo-ops for a while at least till the baby is born. Now I feel like he's dealing with the fact what he lost. All the royals will be there, it's a huge event, it's a reminder he's a prince and his grandfather died. It'll dawn on him even more what he lost.
Why should he step back from the Netflix deal? He still needs to make a living. He has a family to support.

Provided that the 10-day quarantine is relevant (do we know for sure Harry hasn't travelled back already?), I don't see what would prevent the family from pushing the funeral a few days to ensure that every one of Philip's close relatives can be there.

Pushing the funeral to allow for quarantining could also allow for, say, one Greek and one Danish representative to attend in honour of Philip's background as Prince of Greece and Denmark. That obviously depends on whether the great-grandchildren (or the Queen's cousins) will be there with consideration to the 30 people limit.

They may. We will see. There wont be anyone there but immediate family.

Why should he step back from the Netflix deal? He still needs to make a living. He has a family to support.
For a month or so because the whole family is in mourning.

He isn't exactly doing anything. There is nothing due to come out. What does it matter
I was just thinking about the arrival and how a prince who decided to not be a working royal will do next.

I was just thinking about the arrival and how a prince who decided to not be a working royal will do next.

Arrival for what? He isn't going to do anything. He probably won't be there. He had to know that with everything going on and the fact he is expecting baby number 2. The family will get on with it like many others have to do in this unfortunate time.

The family have known for a while that this was coming.

Not sure what you are expecting Harry to do. How exactly is he to stop Netflix for a month? While this is sad, I doubt anyone was really surprised. He was 99 and very ill in recent weeks. No doubt they have all been preparing.

Harry will do what he can but they will all continue on with their lives, as expected.

I have to say, I'm honestly quite surprised that we haven't yet seen an official statement from Harry and Meghan about the death of the DoE. They're generally so quick to issue their own statements about every little thing, every private congratulations, etc. that it seems a bit odd that they haven't yet put out even a short statement. I know that opinions on them and their behavior are quite divisive and certainly split around here but I really do wonder, after all the questions raised about them going ahead with the Oprah disaster while the DoE was so ill, if they're being advised to tread very, very carefully now.

The rest of the family won't stop working so why should Harry.
Because none of the others has work that is basically cashing on their royal connections or at least is a continuation of projects they got years ago by the sole virtue of being royal after thrashing the RF and the country in a long interview. It's simply bad form.

Not that they got the Spotify project for any different reasons but at least it isn't a direct continuation of their royal projects. IMO, it's going to be nice of them if they focus on this for a while.

I'm sure they won't go bankrupt and line in front of the food bank if they refrain from doing a particular kind of job for a short period but I don't really expect them to. They aren't obliged to do or not to do anything.

The rest of the family won't stop working so why should Harry.

I suppose there will be an official period of mourning during which the working members of the Family won't have public engagements. I don't know how long that is going to last though.

Some news outlets are reporting that Harry would only need a 5-day quarantine. If he then gets a negative covid-19 test, he is free to leave quarantine. My apologies, it appears that if you pay for a private Covid-19 test, that is true.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav... cannot take a test,to quarantine for 10 days.

Harry should have no legal issues attending the funeral. I expect he will likely be on a plane by tonight.

Some news outlets are reporting that Harry would only need a 5-day quarantine. If he then gets a negative covid-19 test, he is free to leave quarantine. My apologies, it appears that if you pay for a private Covid-19 test, that is true.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav... cannot take a test,to quarantine for 10 days.

Harry should have no legal issues attending the funeral. I expect he will likely be on a plane by tonight.

His situation is far more complex than this. No hotels are open in England. He has a pregnant wife. Where would he stay for five days? Eugenie has a young baby. Relations with closer family is strained.

Things are just not easy at the moment. It is best to not act in haste.

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm honestly quite surprised that we haven't yet seen an official statement from Harry and Meghan about the death of the DoE. They're generally so quick to issue their own statements about every little thing, every private congratulations, etc. that it seems a bit odd that they haven't yet put out even a short statement. I know that opinions on them and their behavior are quite divisive and certainly split around here but I really do wonder, after all the questions raised about them going ahead with the Oprah disaster while the DoE was so ill, if they're being advised to tread very, very carefully now.

We don't know exactly when the DoE passed, but it was very late last night (California time). It's early morning there now. Perhaps if they were told last night they wanted to wait until today to make a statement. And as far as I've seen, none of the other grandchildren has made any public statements yet.

I suppose there will be an official period of mourning during which the working members of the Family won't have public engagements. I don't know how long that is going to last though.
I'm certain that there will be a period of mourning as customary but that would only affect the working royals. Also given the serious situation we're in I can't see even them stop working completely.
The rest will get time off work for the funeral and might be able to get a few days off now right after Philip's passing but will besides that most likely be required to work like the rest of us would be if our grandfather or close relative died.

We don't know exactly when the DoE passed, but it was very late last night (California time). It's early morning there now. Perhaps if they were told last night they wanted to wait until today to make a statement. And as far as I've seen, none of the other grandchildren has made any public statements yet.

He passed this morning UK time. But the family would have been waiting for this. Word is there will be no individual statements from the family.

This is true, the time difference may very well have factored in. I just truly don't believe in any universe that they weren't alerted to the time when the official statement would be made and, given their track record and the questions that absolutely everyone knew would be raised, I honestly expected them to have a statement ready to issue moments after the official announcement was made. As for the rest of the grandchildren not issuing statements, I don't really think that's a comparison we can make because none of the other grandchildren issue statements like "...have privately congratulated ??? on the birth of their son/daughter" as Harry and Meghan like to do.

I'm honestly not trying to start a debate about all of this, I just really found it incredibly odd given the track record and the obvious questions out there that they didn't issue any kind of statement. At least they haven't yet, anyway.

Not really. There's usually a period of court mourning..

His situation is far more complex than this. No hotels are open in England. He has a pregnant wife. Where would he stay for five days?

Things are just not easy at the moment. It is nest to ot act in haste.

He has a home in the UK. It isn't really that complicated.

This is true, the time difference may very well have factored in. I just truly don't believe in any universe that they weren't alerted to the time when the official statement would be made and, given their track record and the questions that absolutely everyone knew would be raised, I honestly expected them to have a statement ready to issue moments after the official announcement was made. As for the rest of the grandchildren not issuing statements, I don't really think that's a comparison we can make because none of the other grandchildren issue statements like "...have privately congratulated ??? on the birth of their son/daughter" as Harry and Meghan like to do.

I'm honestly not trying to start a debate about all of this, I just really found it incredibly odd given the track record and the obvious questions out there that they didn't issue any kind of statement. At least they haven't yet, anyway.

As for Harry and Meghan making a comment? They are 8 hours behind. And frankly we don't need comment. The family as a whole made one. Also Meghan usually typically issue those statements because people ask them. They not releasing statements themselves, it is always in reply from some media agency contracting their PR.

I know we all want to be snarky and all have feelings one way or another, not today is not the day for all that.

Last edited:
His situation is far more complex than this. No hotels are open in England. He has a pregnant wife. Where would he stay for five days?

Things are just not easy at the moment.

You are allowed to quarantine at a private residence, including with "friends and family" or your own residence. There is no requirement to quarantine at a hotel.

As many of us have sadly experienced with deaths of loved ones and travel, Harry will have to make a decision based on his personal circumstances, but there is no legal impediment to his travels to the U.K., which was the question on this board this morning.

As for Harry and Meghan making a comment? They are 8 hours behind. And frankly we don't need comment. The family as a whole made one.

I know we all want to be snarky and all have feelings one way or another, not today is not the day for all that.

What hardly? But it isn't that easy and that home is either closed and/or used by Eugenie who has a small baby. As we dont really seem to know what the precise situation is with that. But who would you want to put at risk? Is that even fair? For a day. Harry loved his grandfather and that love isn't contingent on being able.to attend a service under extreme pandemic condtions. He would either have to enter a house with others and then br isolated from them for 5 days at a time when his wife is pregnant and people are nervous. No younger member of the royal family would have been vaccinated it. People are going through horrendous times at the moment.

He passed this morning UK time. But the family would have been waiting for this. Word is there will be no individual statements from the family.

No members of the Family have released personal statements. I don't see why Harry and Meghan should be expected to do so.

It's just been reported on Fox News that Harry is expected to return to the UK. That's all that's been said. No word on whether Meghan will accompany him or not.

As for Harry and Meghan making a comment? They are 8 hours behind. And frankly we don't need comment. The family as a whole made one. Also Meghan usually typically issue those statements because people ask them. They not releasing statements themselves, it is always in reply from some media agency contracting their PR.

I wasn't being snarky. I'm just genuinely surprised. Given all of the very public sentiments expressed about the DoE being ill during the drama of the last couple of months and the questions that even the most oblivious person can see will be raised, along with their track record of issuing statements about things that didn't really need comment even if they are answers in response to questions, I'm just simply stating that I'm surprised they haven't had one of their mouthpieces issue something yet. To be perfectly honest, I'm very pleasantly surprised and I think it speaks well of them that they haven't felt the need to "make their voices heard" on the matter.

It's just been reported on Fox News that Harry is expected to return to the UK. That's all that's been said. No word on whether Meghan will accompany him or not.

Certainly that is just what they think. Given none of us know and it hasn't been discussed here.

No members of the Family have released personal statements. I don't see why Harry and Meghan should be expected to do so.

I was also wondering if any of them released statements. Wasn't sure where to post the question.

I would guess that when family members were informed, all were told to please allow the Queen's statement to speak on behalf of all family members for the time being.

So I wouldn't expect anything from Harry & Meghan right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom