The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If anyone wants to know exactly what happened at Elizabeth's coronation, including who said what at what stage of the proceedings, you can find it here: The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II Every peer took this oath:

"I, N. Duke, or Earl, etc., of N.
do become your liege man of life and limb,
and of earthly worship;
and faith and truth I will bear unto you,
to live and die, against all manner of folks.
So help me God."

So I'm assuming Harry would be expected to give a similar oath to his father and, later, to his brother. I wonder what the consequences would be if he didn't?

Well, if he becomes a US citizen, which BTW I don't think he will, and takes the citizenship oath to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty", he won't be able to take the coronation pledge in the UK as the two oaths are obviously incompatible.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Serene Highness

They don't send round the truancy officer if dukes don't turn up to the Coronation! The Duke of Windsor didn't attend George VI's coronation, because obviously it would have been pretty awkward. I think this is all hypothetical because I can't see Harry becoming a US citizen, but, if it was that much of an issue, he could just miss the Coronation ... causing even more awkwardness ...

Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Well, if he becomes a US citizen, which BTW I don't think he will, and takes the citizenship oath to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty", he won't be able to take the coronation pledge in the UK as the two oaths are obviously incompatible.
That's the part I was getting at yesterday. Becoming a US citizen and saying the oath, (which is different from being born a US citizen) is incompatible with the Coronation and also being a Counsellor of State.

Of course they could always skip the Coronation as Alison H says but given how we were assured over and over again that Meghan really, really wanted to be at Prince Philip's funeral and the nature of the brand relying on a living connection to the BRF I can't see them willingly skipping Harry's father's Coronation for anything.

This is an entirely theoretical discussion given that there's no indication Harry wants to become a US citizen but it does show up some theoretical, practical and family difficulties of potentially becoming one that don't apply to non royal/peer dual citizens.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Majesty

The Duke of Windsor didnít turn up to King George VIís Coronation because (a) he was an ex monarch who abdicated the Throne and (b) his was a made to measure Royal Dukedom, quite unique, with no subsidiary titles and no way of passing his Dukedom to any heirs and successors.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
This makes it worse.....Iíve no doubt about their love for Archie, but considering that they have no or bad relationships with their fathers, and Harry destroyed his publicly, I donít see how anyone can take this seriously.
Now there are accusations of plagiarism; apparently Meghan's book is very similar to one by Corrine Averiss.

I wonder if there will be any legal problems?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Now there are accusations of plagiarism; apparently Meghan's book is very similar to one by Corrine Averiss.

No there isn’t. It’s the Daily Mail saying it’s “almost identical” which is actually quite laughable.

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/stat...400751109?s=21

If anything I’m sure Corrine Averiss is thankful for the publicity.

ETA: The DM has already changed their article after the author said she saw no similarities. Guess they need to find a new angle.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:

This is the second time, am I correct? Because I remember that there were some allegations her piece for the New York Times was plagiarised or at least parts of it were. Oh well
Old 05-05-2021, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

It is indeed the second (or maybe third) time the tabloids tried to accuse her of plagiarism, only for it to be shot down. They need to be try something new.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
This is the second time, am I correct? Because I remember that there were some allegations her piece for the New York Times was plagiarised or at least parts of it were. Oh well
Corrinne Averiss herself has denied any similarities beyond the title:

Quote:
Reading the description and published excerpt of the Duchess’s new book, this is not the same story or the same theme as The Boy on the Bench. I don’t see any similarities apart from the use of a bench - which exist in as many stories as they do parks and gardens.
Please stop pushing a false narrative just because you don't like Meghan.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think Harry would become a US citizen, he would probably lose his titles if he did and we all know how much he loves those titles.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Harry was born a Prince. If you have something like that sort of styling from babyhood it becomes part of you. You donít actually choose it.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Please stop pushing a false narrative just because you don't like Meghan.
Not trying to push any false narrative I've never claimed it is plagiarism, just that Meghan has been accused of it not for the first time, which is a fact - this book, the miscarriage piece and one of her speeches.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

And in this case, the accusations clearly don't hold as explicitly stated by the author of the book people are accusing her of plagiarising. So what point does waddling around in it serve? (If not to note that some people seem to take a disproportionate interest in accusing Meghan of plagiarism just for the sake of it?)

Old 05-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry was born a Prince. If you have something like that sort of styling from babyhood it becomes part of you. You donít actually choose it.
I was talking about his Ducal titles.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The Duke of Windsor didnít turn up to King George VIís Coronation because (a) he was an ex monarch who abdicated the Throne and (b) his was a made to measure Royal Dukedom, quite unique, with no subsidiary titles and no way of passing his Dukedom to any heirs and successors.
Neither option I am afraid. He was told he would not be invited to King George VI coronation and Elizabeth II's by the government, not the royal family. You can go to a coronation with titles, most do.
The problem is optical - they didn't want people thinking that he was still around and possible might be in the succession. The British people were to mentally write him off. He no longer existed as far as they were concerned. Under no circumstance were people allowed to think - well maybe he should return as monarch.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Majesty

I’m not denying he was told not to attend, but ex monarchs don’t turn up to their successor’s Coronations by custom either.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And in this case, the accusations clearly don't hold as explicitly stated by the author of the book people are accusing her of plagiarising. So what point does waddling around in it serve? (If not to note that some people seem to take a disproportionate interest in accusing Meghan of plagiarism just for the sake of it?)
A friend at Penguin Children's tells they are completely different books and that there are many writers exploring the child Father relationship and they could have used any of these for a plagiarism accusation. Just as they can any of these books to each other. On another note - thus manuscript appears to have done the rounds to get published. It is not good and it is far from an original concept.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Plenty of celebrities - which is how Meghan clearly sees herself - write books about all sorts of things. It's quite frustrating when you think of all the would-be authors, whose work is probably much better, desperately trying to find a publisher, when people get their books published with no trouble because they're an ex-footballer or used to be in a popular soap opera or are a retired politician. People buy it because of the name, so someone who's already got a lot of money makes even more. It's not very fair, but it's the way it goes.

Indeed. It isnít fair. But- it is what it is. People will buy this book because she wrote it. Sheís getting tons of publicity for it simply because she married exceedingly well. A lot of celebrities are at least famous for something they actually accomplished. (Not all, of course!lol)

Speaking of- I canít help but wonder how much of it she wrote. All of it? Some of it? Did she have help? Take writing classes? Itís not like everyone can just up and write a childrenís book and have it be any good. Itís a skill. I know Meghan wrote some of her speeches, but speech writing and childrenís books arenít even remotely similar.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

It is actually quite pathetic. I get people dislike Meghan but they really need to stop dragging innocent people because they want to attack her.

https://twitter.com/CorrinneAveriss/...18927073988608

She issued a statement tweet. It is a shame she had to do it because the tabloids were bombarding her. This happened with others in the past too.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think a lot of us read about the similarities and accusations of plagiarism before reading that the author of the other book does not see similarities. So if it doesnít bother Ms Averiss it doesnít bother me.

I do think it is incredibly tone-deaf and mind boggling that she would choose to write a book on father - son relationships given that she helped Harry throw his own father under the bus and she herself hasnít seen her own father in 3 years.

As childrenís books go, I canít see it becoming a classic (Good Night, Moon - it isnít ) nor making tons of $$$. What it does do is keep her name in the public eye which is the goal.

Closed Thread