The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Post 1952

I still don't understand what was meant in the interview about not being able to get any help with suicidal thoughts.

Anyone with a phone can ring the Samaritans for a start.

Why would anyone in the RF want to stop one of their own seeking help? It makes no sense.
It does make sense if your focus is on producing sound bites to help you monetize your personal story.

Iíve gotten progressively more cynical about the interview in the weeks since it first aired. They did it to help build their brand for the American market. They wanted a few parts to really stick - the racism accusation, the alleged money woes with Charles as the villain and the idea of The Sussexes as being trapped and isolated in the middle of a mental health crisis. They kept those parts just vague enough to provoke as much discussion as possible.

What they obviously werenít aiming for was logic or even coherence, (and certainly not dignity). They said multiple things during the interview that werenít true, and I donít think it was by accident. They didnít care that essentially all of the UK and a sizeable portion of Americans who bothered to pay attention knew they were full of it. The US is a huge country, so even if you take away the vast majority of the population who could care less about them, as well as the substantial chunk of people who are turned off by them, that still leaves a sizeable number who are either gullible enough to believe them or who will support them regardless of what they actually say or do, for various reasons. Thatís the only group they care about because thatís the group that will make them money and keep them in the public eye.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Well now she has written a book to celebrate the link between child and father.
A bit strange considering she doesn't see her father any more and Harry doesn't see his too !
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/148522...-dodgy-ground/

Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

I think in the US they're more interested in "Diana's son" with a dash of BRF than a "Blood Prince" in general otherwise Madeleine, Theodora and the rest of the Greek royals, Lux Royals, and Bea and Eug themselves would get more press and gossip since they are or have lived in the US but they're basically anonymous - even the one with an acting career.

Most people in America don't know Madeleine, Theodora or any of the above, except perhaps Beatrice and Eugenie. Harry is in another league in terms of celebrity.

Judging from a press report about a recent New York social event, Princess Madeleine seems to be using the name "Madeleine O'Neill" privately in the US. She still goes by HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden on her social media and that is also the name she uses professionally in connection with the World Childhood Foundation, but I don't see her using her royal titles in the same way as Harry and Meghan to build a commercial brand.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
During the coronation, all Dukes, royals and non-royals, have to pledge their allegiance to the new Monarchy. Prince Philip, as the Duke of Edinburgh had to swear his allegiance. When Charles is to be coronated, Camilla as Consort will probably sit next to Charles; but Andrew, William, Harry, and all royal and non-royal dukes, will have to pledge their allegiance.
Thank you. I wasn't exactly sure what was done.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm having a wee bit of a problem with Harry lecturing us on having "compassion for those we know and those we don't."

Where was his compassion for his family - especially his father - when he ripped them on TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Well now she has written a book to celebrate the link between child and father.
A bit strange considering she doesn't see her father any more and Harry doesn't see his too !
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/148522...-dodgy-ground/
Which is what Penny Junor said, and I couldn't agree with her more. I don't know much about Meghan's issues with her dad, but as for Harry - he's completely pushed his father away, betraying him in the worst way.

Quote:
Royal biographer Penny Junor said: ďItís very easy to talk about relationships between fathers and sons when they are two years old.

ďBut problems come when the children are older ó as Meghan found out with her father and Harry with Prince Charles.

ďSo it is an odd thing to have done.

ďShe is on dodgy ground because of her relationship with her father and Harry with his.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why will people in a republic pay for "access to a blood prince"?? What is so special about a blood prince that people will pay to - what ? Shake his hand? This is a man who has abused his family on TV, has claimed that royalty is a trap and yet he intends to use his being a "blood prince" to make money. IS that what HE thinks a blood prince should be?

Why are people in a republic interested in "Royality" anyway? I have no idea besides my own interest and I personally wouldn't pay to access them, but why would people be interested in singers of a certain star level? It surely is something psychological, but don't ask me what it is...
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I have been reading "King's Counsellor", which is the diary by Tommy Lascelles kept during WWII. He was King George VI's Private Secretary. In it, he describes the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) as having never progressed beyond the maturity of an adolescent. I think Harry is the same way. He is acting like a spoiled child.
It was a whole lot more serious for Edward VIII's situation. He was actually King and his date for Coronation was set! Harry has virtually no chance of getting to be King. Edward VIII was set to be King from the moment of his birth. Harry unlike Edward VIII is a father. Different scenario.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Thank you. I wasn't exactly sure what was done.
If anyone wants to know exactly what happened at Elizabeth's coronation, including who said what at what stage of the proceedings, you can find it here: The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II Every peer took this oath:

"I, N. Duke, or Earl, etc., of N.
do become your liege man of life and limb,
and of earthly worship;
and faith and truth I will bear unto you,
to live and die, against all manner of folks.
So help me God."

So I'm assuming Harry would be expected to give a similar oath to his father and, later, to his brother. I wonder what the consequences would be if he didn't?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Which is what Penny Junor said, and I couldn't agree with her more. I don't know much about Meghan's issues with her dad, but as for Harry - he's completely pushed his father away, betraying him in the worst way.
Yep, it is on Amazon and Amazon.uk for preorder in hardback, kindle, and Meg reading the audiobook. I will not be buying it.

It blows my mind that someone who hasnít seen her own father in three years and who helped Harry throw his father under a bus has the gall to write about relationships between fathers and sons.

But some people will enthusiastically buy it and their name will be in the public eye and theyíll make some bucks if it sells well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It does make sense if your focus is on producing sound bites to help you monetize your personal story.

Iíve gotten progressively more cynical about the interview in the weeks since it first aired. They did it to help build their brand for the American market. They wanted a few parts to really stick - the racism accusation, the alleged money woes with Charles as the villain and the idea of The Sussexes as being trapped and isolated in the middle of a mental health crisis. They kept those parts just vague enough to provoke as much discussion as possible.

What they obviously werenít aiming for was logic or even coherence, (and certainly not dignity). They said multiple things during the interview that werenít true, and I donít think it was by accident. They didnít care that essentially all of the UK and a sizeable portion of Americans who bothered to pay attention knew they were full of it. The US is a huge country, so even if you take away the vast majority of the population who could care less about them, as well as the substantial chunk of people who are turned off by them, that still leaves a sizeable number who are either gullible enough to believe them or who will support them regardless of what they actually say or do, for various reasons. Thatís the only group they care about because thatís the group that will make them money and keep them in the public eye.
Well, I have to agree with you. I am becoming more cynical too. Meghan is not stupid: Iím sure they have some sort of plan or are working on other things. You donít write and have someone illustrate and publish a book overnight.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I can understand Meghan wanting to celebrate the bond Harry has with Archie, despite, or maybe even due to, the friction that she and Harry have with their own fathers. As others have pointed out, the bond between a parent and a toddler is pretty straightforward compared to what comes later, (I doubt Charles ever thought things would come to this when he was spending time with a two year old Harry), but itís still special, and with a first child itís also completely new. So of course Meghan has every right to be happy that Harry and Archie have bonded well.

What I donít understand is why this all warrants publishing a book? I read that the book started as a poem she wrote for Harry just after Archie was born - why not just leave it at that? Meghanís husband loves their child so a book gets published. Meghan has a miscarriage and then feels the need to write an editorial for The New York Times. Meghan and Harry fight with his family and the result is a tell all interview with Oprah. What part of their lives are they going to sell next?
Old 05-04-2021, 10:15 PM
Majesty

I doubt that this book will be solely about Harry and Archie or that Meghan will be divulging details of their lives together. Just judging by the few illustrations that have been shown by the publishers so far it shows an African American father relaxing with his boy and a soldier bidding farewell to his little son before deployment. I think the illustrations are beautiful btw.

So it’s likely to be about a diverse number of dads in different careers and circumstances, and celebrating the love between the men and their sons. If this book does well Meghan might write one about the bond between mothers and daughters next.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Well, I have to agree with you. I am becoming more cynical too. Meghan is not stupid: Iím sure they have some sort of plan or are working on other things. You donít write and have someone illustrate and publish a book overnight.
Iíve never not been cynical of the interview since it aired. I remember thinking before that Harry would never trash his father or the family, but his support for the Crown (in the Corden piece) turned me off...

Meghan, IMO, is quite clever, and while I donít think Harry is, and that heís probably following her lead, make no mistake - he knew exactly what he was doing. Charles supported HM in refusing H and M a ďcourtĒ of their own, so H only blames C.wanted H to put a plan in writing - as did HM - and H blames C. Father decides to stop funding son after financially supporting him for years - son complains on air, portraying his mother as the only parent who cares. It was a deliberate painting of his father as a villain - the family as well, really - in order to justify their behavior. Even with all that, most Americans just donít give a fig about them.

Harry will regret this one day.

Quote:
I can understand Meghan wanting to celebrate the bond Harry has with Archie, despite, or maybe even due to, the friction that she and Harry have with their own fathers. As others have pointed out, the bond between a parent and a toddler is pretty straightforward compared to what comes later, (I doubt Charles ever thought things would come to this when he was spending time with a two year old Harry), but itís still special, and with a first child itís also completely new. So of course Meghan has every right to be happy that Harry and Archie have bonded well.

What I donít understand is why this all warrants publishing a book? I read that the book started as a poem she wrote for Harry just after Archie was born - why not just leave it at that? Meghanís husband loves their child so a book gets published. Meghan has a miscarriage and then feels the need to write an editorial for The New York Times. Meghan and Harry fight with his family and the result is a tell all interview with Oprah. What part of their lives are they going to sell next?
First point is fair...

Second...well I suppose anyone can write a book if they want; Iíd understand it more if it were about fathers and sons in general as opposed to this particular father and son. The only reason to write the book would be to capitalize on their Royal connections. They want privacy, except when they donít. Anything that can be monetized, will be.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
First point is fair...

Second...well I suppose anyone can write a book if they want; I’d understand it more if it were about fathers and sons in general as opposed to this particular father and son. The only reason to write the book would be to capitalize on their Royal connections. They want privacy, except when they don’t. Anything that can be monetized, will be.
it *is* about fathers and sons in general and only "inspired" by her own husband and son, as i understand it from the archewell announcement
https://archewell.com/news/meghan-th...ook-the-bench/

"Inspired by her own husband and son, The Duchess of Sussex’s debut touchingly captures the evolving and expanding relationship between fathers and sons and reminds us of the many ways that love can take shape and be expressed in a modern family."

i could well imagine (but ofcourse just imo) that they don't consider either of their own childhoods to have been in a "modern" family, and therefore don't consider this hypocrisy as some are commenting it to be..
Old 05-05-2021, 12:52 AM
Gentry

Well, this surely never happened, Harry saying good bye or hello leaving or homecoming from military deployment. Makes no sense at all, to include this in the story or only the illustrations but to hold up their highly unrealistic view on life.
Wow, will be interesting to see how REAL soldiers react to this, feeling mocked by a prince who cannot cope being taken away his honorary military ranks etc , but still acting as if he had an importance to men on duty being deployed/ or in combat?
As far as my husband is considered, he lifted an eyebrow when I showed him the illustration.
But of course it is too early to judge, we will see like always. But honestly, I doubt Harry will be cheered by any military personel IF this turns out as weird as it looks now.

They really seem to have talent getting things worse, but as long as the cashflow is all right don't care.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:36 AM
Majesty

That soldier may have red hair but he is wearing US army fatigues and cap. Why would they include Harry in an illustration of a soldier going away on deployment and saying goodbye to an infant son?

Harry does know about deployment, he was twice in Afghanistan on active service in war zones. He served for a decade in the Blues and Royals and later British army air services. So he was a Real Soldier.

And for many years Harry has supported vets, wounded, maimed and damaged. Remember Walking with the Wounded and Invictus? But that illustration isn’t of him and the wife in the window isn’t Meghan.

As I posted before, I believe this book talks about the bond between many diverse fathers and their sons. It’s not a portrait of Harry and Archie. If it was exclusively about them, where does the illustration of the African American father and son fit in?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:40 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That soldier may have red hair but he is wearing US army fatigues and cap. Why would they include Harry in an illustration of a soldier going away on deployment and saying goodbye to an infant son?

Harry does know about deployment, he was twice in Afghanistan on active service in war zones and served for a decade in the Blues and Royals and later British army air services. And for many years Harry has supported vets, wounded, maimed and damaged. Remember Invictus? But that illustration isnít of him and the wife in the window isnít Meghan.

As I posted before, I believe this book talks about the bond between many diverse fathers and their sons. Itís not a portrait of Harry and Archie. If it was exclusively about them, where does the illustration of the African American father and son fit in?
I know he served, but ne never did while his son lives. Sorry, I should have wrote this more clearly in the post above.
As I said, time will tell, what she is trying to say with the thing.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Very well said!
Old 05-05-2021, 03:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
(...)

What I don’t understand is why this all warrants publishing a book? I read that the book started as a poem she wrote for Harry just after Archie was born - why not just leave it at that? Meghan’s husband loves their child so a book gets published. Meghan has a miscarriage and then feels the need to write an editorial for The New York Times. Meghan and Harry fight with his family and the result is a tell all interview with Oprah. What part of their lives are they going to sell next?
If they're taking note from Sarah, maybe something similar to "Finding Sarah". "The Duchess and Daughters" can be one too (or adapt it into "The Duke and Son?").

Come to think of it, Sarah does have a long list if they want to follow her footstep: guest-hosting (ABC's The View or Gayle King?), make a movie with a brief appearance of Archie or his sister ... they haven't done half of what Sarah did. Though I hope they'd learn from Sarah's faux pas, so no need to sell access to, say the Cambridges or Charles, or taking money from famous person with dubious life.

And remember when Sarah said "I love American people because they saved my life. When the British threw me out, the Americans embraced me and said ‘it’s alright Fergie, we’ll have you, we’ll give you a second chance. I’d had such bad press that is was very hard to live ... I don’t have a house, but I live here ... I am the No. 1 fan, I love Americans.” So maybe tweak it a bit to appeal more American audience?
Old 05-05-2021, 03:29 AM
Serene Highness

Plenty of celebrities - which is how Meghan clearly sees herself - write books about all sorts of things. It's quite frustrating when you think of all the would-be authors, whose work is probably much better, desperately trying to find a publisher, when people get their books published with no trouble because they're an ex-footballer or used to be in a popular soap opera or are a retired politician. People buy it because of the name, so someone who's already got a lot of money makes even more. It's not very fair, but it's the way it goes.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
it *is* about fathers and sons in general and only "inspired" by her own husband and son, as i understand it from the archewell announcement
https://archewell.com/news/meghan-th...ook-the-bench/

"Inspired by her own husband and son, The Duchess of Sussexís debut touchingly captures the evolving and expanding relationship between fathers and sons and reminds us of the many ways that love can take shape and be expressed in a modern family."

i could well imagine (but ofcourse just imo) that they don't consider either of their own childhoods to have been in a "modern" family, and therefore don't consider this hypocrisy as some are commenting it to be..
This makes it worse.....Iíve no doubt about their love for Archie, but considering that they have no or bad relationships with their fathers, and Harry destroyed his publicly, I donít see how anyone can take this seriously.

Closed Thread